Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
That sounds like someone bringing bed bugs on board and the required effort to get rid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

That sounds like someone bringing bed bugs on board and the required effort to get rid of them.

We had a scabies scare on an OSV, the second mate's kid had it and we thought he'd brought it because the first engineer started itching like crazy, but then his itch turned out to just be stress and when a doctor told him to stop worrying about his (giant hideous) rash it went away

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elviscat posted:

Pulled in for a few days, one of our EMs convinced a girl from one of the strip clubs to go back to the hotel with him, and he got scabies.

We were doing workups off the coast that involved BSPing on and off riders every few days, well that means shuffling all the hot-rackers around every time (which is why Fast Attack guys HATE riders btw) and every time he moved racks he'd contaminate a new one, same with all the other now infected hot rackers. No one, at this point, realized they had the little critters yet.

Fast forward a few weeks and we're back in Groton, and sailors are starting to wonder why their hands and groins are red and itchy, their SOs are wondering the same thing, a lot of those SOs aren't really buying the classic "toilet seat(rack)" explanation, and the COB ended up having to send out a statement on command letter head about the outbreak to a bunch of wives and girlfriends, which is hilarious.

I was a crank (and single) for that whole trip, so I had my own rack and got to lol about it pretty hard.

Yooo, good luck on that CPO exam, and the follow on board proceedings. Are the reserves also doing PMK-EE and only in-rate questions on the main exam? Either way you only have to beat out the other dummies taking the test, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Lol gently caress I didn’t even think on why the test was 100% rate and no fluff. Tots forget PMK-EE did away with that.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

he was a nice guy. …supremely unfunny poster.
I’m a nice guy, a terrible poster, and a PE (until I let it lapse, who cares) and I say:

https://youtu.be/CduAEx0FAdk

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

lightpole posted:

Way better than bedbugs, wash the sheets daily and bag the mattresses in plastic and scabies will go away pretty quick.

Bedbugs get in everything, and can live dormant for up to a year, they will hide in the acoustic deadening between racks and come out to feast as soon as a human sleeps in there again, absolute loving nightmare.

I know that because my OTHER submarine had Bedbugs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bedbugs are the absolute worst. Do not recommend.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yall nasty

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Oh as if the infantry has any room to talk, I know what marines do

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Remulak posted:

I’m a nice guy, a terrible poster, and a PE (until I let it lapse, who cares) and I say:

https://youtu.be/CduAEx0FAdk

Sir, I have never put one door next to another door

(I just stamped my first thing. Something minor, but it was fun regardless)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ugh active shooter at Whidbey and my guy got locked down on base.
All secure

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok so it’s time for everyone to laugh at my expense.

My unit transfer was routed and I start with my new reserve unit in April. It’s based in Hawaii with flex drilling so that’s good! Just have to drill once or twice a year in Bremerton.

I called up my new CO to tell him his efforts recruiting has payed off and I’m now in the unit. I ask him who the senior enlisted is so I can synchronize drill dates and AT.
“ aah IT1 that’s the easy part. You’re it. You are the only sailor over E5 who isn’t an officer. See you next drill we will explain more.”

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
you'll be filling lpo and cpo jobs

if you pass cpo test you will absolutely get promoted

:lol:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

My unit transfer was routed and I start with my new reserve unit in April. It’s based in Hawaii with flex drilling so that’s good! Just have to drill once or twice a year in Bremerton.

I called up my new CO to tell him his efforts recruiting has payed off and I’m now in the unit. I ask him who the senior enlisted is so I can synchronize drill dates and AT.
“ aah IT1 that’s the easy part. You’re it. You are the only sailor over E5 who isn’t an officer. See you next drill we will explain more.”

When a sailor makes chief does he have to buy all new uniforms or does he get them issued?

Asking for a you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Crab Dad posted:

Congratulations on your upcoming promotion.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

"Acting CMC" probably looks good on the ol' eval.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

When a sailor makes chief does he have to buy all new uniforms or does he get them issued?

Asking for a you.

iirc they sell pancakes and take donations for shadowboxes or some poo poo like that

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Grip it and rip it posted:

iirc they sell pancakes and take donations for shadowboxes or some poo poo like that

Yeah but if he's the ranking enlisted person as an IT1 then there's no chief's mess to do that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Man, the VA isn't making me regret leaving the military at all. I submitted my claim near the first of the year, so far they have:

-sent me an e-mail telling me that a 3rd party will call me for an exam/interview, also has a link to the 3rd party's website, that I cannot log into because they recognize my name and DoB, but not my case number. I have not received a call.

The VA's website lists 5 "requests" that must be resolved prior to my claim moving forward:

-an optional request for me to download and send them my civilian medical records (this is fine).

-deleted

-a request for me to upload "proof" I was on the USS Connecticut during the collision, I don't know how the gently caress I'm supposed to prove this outside official government records, that the VA has access to and I do not.

-deleted

-a blank request, with not a single word written on it, that I have to resolve somehow? There should be words between the header and the "need to mail us files?" Link here telling me what to do.

Like, I'll call them and probably get this all figured out next week, but it's aggrivatin' makes it feel like they're trying to annoy me into not filing a disability claim.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Crab dad, an e-6 at a new command: *casually calls up the commodore for a chat*

Me, an e-4 at a new command: *approaches my chief in in the pway* hey chief, i have something important next week and i need a day off

Chief: WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SPEAKING TO ME YOU TALK TO YOUR LPO AND YOUR LPO SPEAKS TO ME IF NECESSARY

Me: oh, please excuse me, I've always reported to the chief in all my previous assignments

Chief: *never speaks another word to me*

titties fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 25, 2023

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

titties posted:

Me, an e-4 at a new command: *approaches my chief in in the pway* hey chief, i have something important next week and i need a day off

Chief: WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SPEAKING TO ME YOU TALK TO YOUR LPO AND YOUR LPO SPEAKS TO ME IF NECESSARY

Me: oh, please excuse me, I've always reported to the chief in all my previous assignments

:(

I don't know the people in my department and I want to go back to LCS or MCM.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh Crab Dad you are so screwed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The monkeys paw has finally curled and shrivelled

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Wrangling cats in a flex unit is an A#1 headache, too. Good loving luck with that. :v:

I’m in an all O4+ flex unit where everyone nominally already knows exactly what to do, and it’s still practically impossible to get everyone where they need to be.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Wow someone finally somehow manages to expel all the chiefs and Crab Dad is gonna wander in and ruin it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
To answer the uniform question, new chiefs get a special clothing allowance for the new uniforms.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

Yeah but if he's the ranking enlisted person as an IT1 then there's no chief's mess to do that.

He should just install bitcoin mining software on all the command PCs

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Grip it and rip it posted:

He should just install bitcoin mining software on all the command PCs

pretty solid strategy to get out of being the ranking enlisted person at least

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

To answer the uniform question, new chiefs get a special clothing allowance for the new uniforms.

Seriously short sleeve summer dress whites are the only reason besides pay to go E7.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Congrats on what's gonna be a very tough assignment. I loved being an IS1 as a division LPO as I had lots of experience, loved working directly with junior Sailors, and had fun every weekend.

I absolutely hated my time as an ISC. Being deployed or even AT/ADT as a Chief was fine and reqardong but being a regular drill weekend I wanted to kill FTS (now again TAR) lazy assholes and hated dealing with NOSC (now again NRA) senior enlisted and it was more draining than port/starboard deployed watches.

Being a Unit LPO and filling in as Unit LCPO is gonna be the golden ticket to ITC. Between your ADT time, deployed time, and this, you are set to continue your rise (for better or worse)

Mr. Nice! posted:

You do get an allowance but it is not nearly enough for a seabag.

Crab Dad posted:

Seriously short sleeve summer dress whites are the only reason besides pay to go E7.

Task Force Uniform getting rid of summer whites (ice cream man) and winter blues (Johnny cash) was the worst part second to the blue berries that made us look like Iraqi national police instead of looking like Sears auto mechanics in utilities. Every senior enlisted and senior O as part of TFU should be in jail for many many crimes

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats on what's gonna be a very tough assignment. I loved being an IS1 as a division LPO as I had lots of experience, loved working directly with junior Sailors, and had fun every weekend.

I absolutely hated my time as an ISC. Being deployed or even AT/ADT as a Chief was fine and reqardong but being a regular drill weekend I wanted to kill FTS (now again TAR) lazy assholes and hated dealing with NOSC (now again NRA) senior enlisted and it was more draining than port/starboard deployed watches.

One my of aces in my pocket is my fairly decent relationship with my NRC’s CO and XO due to my civilian job. Even my new job as a GS will require interaction with them from time to time.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

titties posted:

The Navy's so weird, when I was on shore duty I was encouraged to refer to the E8 senior enlisted dude and OIC by their first name.

Yelling at junior enlisted for talking to you, as a chief, is so loving toxic, and contrary to what a "Chief" is supposed to be.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Elviscat posted:

The Navy's so weird, when I was on shore duty I was encouraged to refer to the E8 senior enlisted dude and OIC by their first name.

Yelling at junior enlisted for talking to you, as a chief, is so loving toxic, and contrary to what a "Chief" is supposed to be.

Maybe i just caught him at a bad moment because he seemed pretty normal otherwise.

It was jarring to go from a "catch a beer and shoot pool a couple times a month with the chief" to "consult your LPO before you see the chief" kind of command.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

titties posted:

Maybe i just caught him at a bad moment because he seemed pretty normal otherwise.

It was jarring to go from a "catch a beer and shoot pool a couple times a month with the chief" to "consult your LPO before you see the chief" kind of command.

I think he may have had an unusual shore command. My shore command was full of assholes, top to bottom.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
One of my old cadets has been on his MSC ship for the last 2 years. He put in for a relief 7 months ago which should be Match 7th but he doesn't think he's getting relieved. He just wants to go home to his Singaporean ex girlfriend (now wife).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

One of my old cadets has been on his MSC ship for the last 2 years. He put in for a relief 7 months ago which should be Match 7th but he doesn't think he's getting relieved. He just wants to go home to his Singaporean ex girlfriend (now wife).

Anything over 11 months is in contravention of the MLC so he can make a call to the ITF at his next port of call and enjoy the firework.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The US Navy might have something to say about that. I didn't bother double checking what he's on cause it probably never hits land anyways.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 27, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

He should pull the old "my back hurts" and then go do the same job but even time for Patriot

2 years is honestly worth actually hurling yourself down the stairs for real

slurm fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 27, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah seriously gently caress that. The covid gangway up orders they had was seriously hosed. The Navy is loving stupid and hates CIVMARS, there's absolutely no reason for it.

I've never worked for Patriot but they have a decent rep despite the middling pay, I've heard the Watsons are nice and the people stay there. Funny stories about the CEO and how he got the company I probably can't tell. Also their port engineers can be full remote and just fly to the shipyards while everyone else insists you have to live in Maryland near the office even tho their ships are on the west coast or you have to drive in city traffic or live on the MARAD RRF vessels in SF.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Also he should call his union rep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Navy_Hipple/status/1630102815233437697?s=20

Here I thought the 2011-2012 Bataan ARG deployment was bad