Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Az did more to heal forum culture by stepping down instead of melting down than any decisive action taken by the remaining admins lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I'm very sympathetic to the anger over Jeff's mass thread probe and I told him as much at the time, because even for those of us with healthy and happy social lives outside the forums, the forums are still one part of our social life where we post with friends and the holidays are a nice time to be with your friends. Like from my perspective I wasn't able to post about the busiest time of the Premier League season with my friends because like 80% of them were on probation and some of them never came back afterwards, which made me very sad, and I know the football forum is hardly the only place on SA with a similar story

Yeah. What I said in the Apology/Massacre Thread is pretty much how I feel: I personally laughed a lot about it but I think people were absolutely justified in being pissed, and not just people who "live on the forums".

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can't believe this has to be said in C-SPAM, but imposing American Christian traditions on the world is bad.

Yeah, and not for nothing, but "go spend time with your family" is going to hit some people in a very different way than others.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Srice posted:

Yeah there was a post somewhere in that feedback thread in PYF that listed the posters who never returned after getting caught in that mass probe crossfire. Many of whom had been around for quite some time.

It's a death by a thousand cuts kinda thing, yeah it's hardly the worst thing to happen on these forums but to me it's a bigger bummer to see plenty of good posters leave over an extended period of time due to a consistent stream of smaller dumb things instead of one big inciting incident causing it.

(To say nothing of how it wasn't the holidays for everyone; personally that was the busiest work week of the year for me! I might not have been caught up in those mass probes but the places I frequented definitely felt quieter.)

it's not even just posters dying by a thousand cuts, the organization of the forums produces constant antagonistic interactions between users and mods and admins. it inexorably ends with jeffrey and every well-intentioned mod/admin burning out, but i've given up and i'm not writing another screed about org dynamics. furthermore, I consider that fluffdaddy must be destroyed.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

Az did more to heal forum culture by stepping down instead of melting down than any decisive action taken by the remaining admins lmao

on one hand it's a great precedent, on the other i expect the ones who really need to take a break and get some perspective the most are also the ones who will absolutely never give up the small amount of power they've accrued to hand out $10 punishments on the internet

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

I'm very sympathetic to the anger over Jeff's mass thread probe and I told him as much at the time, because even for those of us with healthy and happy social lives outside the forums, the forums are still one part of our social life where we post with friends and the holidays are a nice time to be with your friends. Like from my perspective I wasn't able to post about the busiest time of the Premier League season with my friends because like 80% of them were on probation and some of them never came back afterwards, which made me very sad, and I know the football forum is hardly the only place on SA with a similar story

Fair enough, I disagree but that’s ok

Thanks for the laughs everyone

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

speng31b posted:

on one hand it's a great precedent, on the other i expect the ones who really need to take a break and get some perspective the most are also the ones who will absolutely never give up the small amount of power they've accrued to hand out $10 punishments on the internet

yep.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zodium posted:

it's not even just posters dying by a thousand cuts, the organization of the forums produces constant antagonistic interactions between users and mods and admins. it inexorably ends with jeffrey and every well-intentioned mod/admin burning out, but i've given up and i'm not writing another screed about org dynamics. furthermore, I consider that fluffdaddy must be destroyed.

the posters who flake are the tender lil guys vs the hardened psychos who remain

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

the posters who flake are the tender lil guys vs the hardened psychos who remain

yep.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

docbeard posted:

Yeah, and not for nothing, but "go spend time with your family" is going to hit some people in a very different way than others.
Oh yeah, that's a good point. I was mostly thinking of the other stuff because it was extremely apropos given the topic of the thread, but "go spend time with your family" is legit at the level of ban +30/permaban if judged by the same standards used against jeffrey's posting enemies.

speng31b posted:

Yeah, the entire system the mods have built up is basically ratcheting towards koala's march final victory - if only in spirit.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I think it's because they try to keep all the antagonism bottled up. used to be able to go anywhere and drop a 'go gently caress yourself' type of post and that'd be the end of it. now that sets off all the little snitches hammering the report button for 'brigading' or a 'forums invasion'... or the dreaded 'derailing', like these threads had an end goal or some point to them.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Homeless Friend posted:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

boo boo bear posted:

I think it's because they try to keep all the antagonism bottled up. used to be able to go anywhere and drop a 'go gently caress yourself' type of post and that'd be the end of it. now that sets off all the little snitches hammering the report button for 'brigading' or a 'forums invasion'... or the dreaded 'derailing', like these threads had an end goal or some point to them.

Posting. About. Posters!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Fair enough, I disagree but that’s ok

Thanks for the laughs everyone

I love how this was the last post before 35 posts of tubgirl in D&D. Marvelous.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its why i rolled my eyes at that D&D mod who was talking about all the poo poo he took while modding, how he hated it, etc in new qcs. whats his name hes got the pokemon av. im the poster the admin team is selecting for lol.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Homeless Friend posted:

its why i rolled my eyes at that D&D mod who was talking about all the poo poo he took while modding, how he hated it, etc in new qcs. whats his name hes got the pokemon av. im the poster the admin team is selecting for lol.
fool of sound? the greatest mod d&d ever had.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

TheWeedNumber posted:

look what the mods drove him to do

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hes a fool

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

TheWeedNumber posted:

Lmao I thought you were kidding.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

Lmao I thought you were kidding.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

But like this:

Over a mass five-day probe …… jeez get a grip

(imagine i quoted every one of those tubgirls here back to back)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dustcat posted:

(imagine i quoted every one of those tubgirls here back to back)

thank you for not actually doing this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

and thats why we need those tender posters. im never going to say thank you, thats for those quaint lil souls

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
being thanked is important when your doing free labor

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Looks like the reign of a wet blanket is not that different from a domestic abuser. Horseshoe theory much??

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vyelkin posted:

thank you for not actually doing this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

Looks like the reign of a wet blanket is not that different from a domestic abuser. Horseshoe theory much??

owning the forums slowly turning jeffrey into lowtax has been a great demonstration of materialism.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

TheWeedNumber posted:

lmao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

A hit dog will holler, eh :troll:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's better to burn out
Than fade away

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

haha

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
loving the gbs banmes

ive been on this website since the pillhead wife beater was incharge but taking away my pyf war snuff thread was a bridge too far. catch me on r/killallrussian

gently caress jeff and gently caress putin

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Feb 25, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
az rn

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

loving the gbs banmes

ive been on this website since the pillhead web beater was incharge but taking away my pyf war snuff thread was a bridge too far. catch me on r/killallrussian

gently caress jeff and gently caress putin

the gbs thread was closed because the mods and admins of forums.somethingawful.com are russian assets fighting hybrid warfare

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

vyelkin posted:

the gbs thread was closed because the mods and admins of forums.somethingawful.com are russian assets fighting hybrid warfare

Mods...good?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

meet the new boss same as the old boss

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Prepare to have this post quoted in SAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

Prepare to have this post quoted in SAD

jeff's drty secret is that he bought this place not with bitcoin billions but with rubles