Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI there is a route across Ordina rooftops that completely avoids the invisible assassins and faces off against one archer at a time. And there are alot of parkour tricks to get to the relevant ladders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Been getting a lot of mileage out of throwing kukris to distract enemies, gotta be kukris or something weighty tho apparently. Made shutting down the Sauron tower a lot easier at like RL25 when I was racing around for spells, combined with lobbing fireballs at the ceiling that is also a floor.

Wonder if that works on the Ordina archers too.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Getting bottlenecked by mid tier stones is a proud tradition that goes all the way back to Demon's Souls

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
+10 coded sword is SICK

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

feelix posted:

Getting bottlenecked by mid tier stones is a proud tradition that goes all the way back to Demon's Souls

Dark Souls III doesn’t get enough credit for showering you in titanite, like on my first run I thought the sheer amount of stone pickups instead of “cool” swag was kinda underwhelming but playing Elden Ring makes me realize, “nah, having the ability to just switch between weapons is pretty sweet”.

Shame about one of the worst changes ever though, making Equip Load a dedicated stat you have to invest in just to dunk on magic builds.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the stone progression was decent in ER, they would always gradually go from "rare resource I can only put into one weapon" to "common enough that I can throw it around" to "I can buy this now" at a reasonable rate. And seeing stones that were way ahead of what you were currently on was an indicator that there were easier areas you could be doing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always just rush for the smithing stone miner's bell bearing 1 on a new character. It's such a quality of life improvement to have infinity stones 1 and 2.

I switched my bonkinator to the large club. I didn't like the reach on the brick hammer.

e. non-somber weapons are fun because you can grease 'em up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Large club is a primo bonker, but I just prefer the look of the brick hammer.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's no shortage of bonk in this game thankfully, the world is your oyster. The Great Club is also loads of fun if not the most effective choice a lot of the time, and the Curved Great Club could be fun if it has good scaling with a fire infusion

And yeah after this most recent playthrough, I think I couldn't go back to somber weapons. Non-somber are a pain to upgrade at points but not that bad, and the flexibility buffs and greases and infusions and different ashes gives you is really, really fun and more satisfying than spamming Taker's Flames. I've only been using the Greatsword exclusively starting with Maliketh but I still don't think I've used the same setup twice.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 25, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does anyone else feel that the game's difficulty becomes really inconsistent on the Altus Plateau? I think it may have just turned me off of this playthrough, I don't feel like exploring anymore. All the optional stuff became a big ol grab bag. The game just got weirdly mean as soon as I took the Dectus Lift. I'm already so tired of enemies standing around corners that launch into a grab attack!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 25, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What's the deal with dragons that run away once the tide of a fight turns against them?

First that magic one near Ranni's apartment then the ancient one by the Altus backdoor.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
It's the sensible thing to do if you can fly and the little angry monkey thing that's murdering you can't.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CJacobs posted:

Does anyone else feel that the game's difficulty becomes really inconsistent on the Altus Plateau? I think it may have just turned me off of this playthrough, I don't feel like exploring anymore. All the optional stuff became a big ol grab bag. The game just got weirdly mean as soon as I took the Dectus Lift. I'm already so tired of enemies standing around corners that launch into a grab attack!

Altus is more difficult than the lowlands, but not super aggressively so unless you’re low-health. This game just thinks you should have 40 vigor for midgame and 60 vigor for endgame, and doesn’t communicate that except by kicking your rear end a lot if you don’t.

The corner grabbing guys makes me think you’re talking about Shaded Castle which is definitely a douchey zone. Traps, ambushes, poison galore. Never stay in there any longer than it takes to get Millicent’s business hand imo

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I felt a big difficulty spike around Altus my first play through, but it evened out until after Leyndell (which is a great area). The difficulty spike after that is even bigger and doesn’t ever even out, though.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

I'm at altus now and having a grand old time, but that's because I've almost done the whole of volcano and deeproot. I like being overleveled for an area for once.

And on the mid tier stones being a bit rare exactly when you need them, I thought that was just me consistently side-tracked. :shrug: Getting somber 7s and 8ths when I really needed a 6 was pretty annoying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for the tips on vigor. I'm running around with 29 now and my only question after exploring most of Altus is, am I screwed? It kind of sucks to have to put 1/3 of my points into the HP stat when I already also am obligated to invest in End and Mind since this is the Magics game. Maybe it's silly but I honestly wish sacred tears multiplied your maximum HP like chozo statues, with golden seeds giving you more flasks as usual but restoring a flat % of your max HP like Bloodborne's vials restoring 40%.

Where could I go in say, previous areas of the overworld to fight enemies like the Night's Cavalry and Bell Bearing Darth Vaders? If I need runes and don't want to resort to grinding or 'really' grinding? It's a really fun game but time is a little limited and it's fun to not cheat it. I'd love to see new things!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 25, 2023

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
If you've beaten Rennalla then you can just respec and rebalance your stats. You may want to play around with a build calculator if you are really worried about not having enough endurance/mind but honestly you can totally get away with minimum base stats for whatever weapon/spells your using, put a few points into mind/end and then the rest into vigor.

For reference, I am playing around on a new character, started as prophet, that just made it to Altus at around level 70 and have-

Vig 48
End 14
Mnd 18
Fai 24
Arc 16
Dex 10
Str 10

Keeping my weapons/dragon communion seal at their highest upgrades possible (I think I'm at +17 for my main weapon and +6 or 7 on my seal) and the damage I'm doing is totally fine for this area while also being very solid on health. My first playthrough I only had 35 or 40 vig by Altus and felt the same way you described but ever since then I've prioritized health and minimal req stats as needed and the whole game goes much smoother.

If you're concerned about spells/FP you may just need to rebalance your flasks and lean more towards blue flasks. That said, there are talismans that can help you maintain your FP as you go along like the cerulean dagger talisman or that one you get from the ancestor spirit remembrance.

Sorry if I missed it are you doing a spellcasting only playthrough or something? I find even doing a purely faith/int build I'm still using my weapons a lot, usually way more than spells.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 25, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

Thanks for the tips on vigor. I'm running around with 29 now and my only question after exploring most of Altus is, am I screwed? It kind of sucks to have to put 1/3 of my points into the HP stat when I already also am obligated to invest in End and Mind since this is the Magics game. Maybe it's silly but I honestly wish sacred tears multiplied your maximum HP like chozo statues, with golden seeds giving you more flasks as usual but restoring a flat % of your max HP like Bloodborne's vials restoring 40%.

Where could I go in say, previous areas of the overworld to fight enemies like the Night's Cavalry and Bell Bearing Darth Vaders? If I need runes and don't want to resort to grinding or 'really' grinding? It's a really fun game but time is a little limited and it's fun to not cheat it. I'd love to see new things!
What’s screwing you in Altus? Have you beaten Radahn and explored the underground area that opens up? I remember Altus feeling overwhelming at first but much more manageable after going underground city exploring (and maybe Caria Manor too, I forget when I did that)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

If you've defeated Renalla you can always go to her to respec more points into Vigor if you really need to. But yeah there's also a lot of random caves and side content that's probably still available in older areas to level you up without explicity grinding.,

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My first playthrough has been spellcasting only but when I found the Carian Knight set I kinda shifted into the Carian Slicer + Barricade Shield build on the ER wiki and it feels a lot more natural and flexible.

When I looked back there was often one set of footprints. I asked Rock Sling why, and it said "My child, you were never alone. When there is only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Happy year of Elden Ring btw

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

What's the deal with dragons that run away once the tide of a fight turns against them?

First that magic one near Ranni's apartment then the ancient one by the Altus backdoor.

Both of them can be found elsewhere for a proper bossfight, although the journey to confront Ancient Dragon Lansseax is much shorter than the one to fight Glintstone Dragon Adulla (and trust me, you'll be grateful for the extra levels and gear when you face Adulla for real).

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Shoehead posted:

Happy year of Elden Ring btw
I am now certain there will be no dlc

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

What are some good one handed axes and where can I find them? I'm looking to make my dude into something resembling a dwarf slayer from Warhammer.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Shame about one of the worst changes ever though, making Equip Load a dedicated stat you have to invest in just to dunk on magic builds.

Once again people completely forget these innovations started in dark souls 2...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wedgie deliverer posted:

What are some good one handed axes and where can I find them? I'm looking to make my dude into something resembling a dwarf slayer from Warhammer.

There is a pair of identical storm axes or something like that in liurnias albinauric village

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

CommonShore posted:

There is a pair of identical storm axes or something like that in liurnias albinauric village

Do you not have to kill your cool barbarian princess friend to get those??

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Angry Diplomat posted:

oh idk I've just found them laying there a couple of times and I've never killed her

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

If anyone can understand why I need the cool axe it's a true warrior like her

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CJacobs posted:

For a caster, imo, it’s much easier if you build a character in the following stages:
1) get your required stat for whatever low-level spells you want to cast at first (shouldn’t require more than like 10-at most 15 levels in INT)
2) now you can cast some spells, get vigor to 40 (slightly tricky stage since your damage doesn’t increase much for a while, but survivability does)
3) damage stat to 40, mind/endurance to 20+. Now your spells will improve and you can cast better/more of them, while still being tough enough to fight with melee spells or a regular weapon
4) vigor to 60 (post capital) so endgame enemies don’t two-shot you constantly
5) at this point you can probably take on anything so just power up as you like. damage stat to 60 or 80 if you feel like it, more mind/endurance, add a second damage stat, dealers choice

I don’t love the healing upgrade system in this game, (or DS2/3 or Sekiro either). Kind of seems like something From have been sticking with for fear of replacing it with something worse.

If you haven’t been clearing them as you see them, most minor Erdtrees have a boss hanging out, either avatar or tree spirit. The tree spirits can be kind of annoying to fight but avatars are easy provided they aren’t super high level like the one in Dragonbarrow.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Panderfringe posted:

Did they like, say "we aren't planning DLC" for Sekiro?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just got the Rivers of Blood katana which I hear is good.

Is it worth investing runes and stones into it when I'm already dual wielding 20+ bleed katanas

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just got the Rivers of Blood katana which I hear is good.

Is it worth investing runes and stones into it when I'm already dual wielding 20+ bleed katanas

Give it a go. The ash of war has a large hitbox and it's spammable. It uses somber stones so won't take up same resources as the regular ones.

But never tell anyone. RoB is for those without shame, or maidens.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There is no shameful or honorable combat in Elden Ring. Cheese or be cheesed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Goatson posted:

Give it a go. The ash of war has a large hitbox and it's spammable. It uses somber stones so won't take up same resources as the regular ones.

But never tell anyone. RoB is for those without shame, or maidens.

Has this game really not taught you to respect maidens?

* insert image of Malenia impaling someone here *

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Panderfringe posted:

There's actually a couple smoking guns saying there will be (there's markers in the last few patches for dungeons that don't exist yet, is the main one) but if it doesn't get announced today when it will be is anyone's guess.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rivers of blood looks cool but I'm really used to bloody slash and have my main weapon at 22+ so it feels a bit late to switch to something that's basically the same thing but slightly worse (until I upgrade it)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

no maiden ahead

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Have you cleared caelid? Do that first as it's scaled lower than altus, with the exception of north caelid (greyoll's dragonbarrow) which for some reason is scaled much higher than altus. There are also two substantial side areas not apparent from the world map which you may or may not have already seen. one of them is near the minor erdtree in east limgrave and the other is near the Eastern Tableland grace in liurnia. I wouldn't ever suggest grinding for runes instead of just going somewhere you haven't been yet.

Put every levelup you get into vigor until you're at 40. mind is also more optional than you think it is.

also,

Mustached Demon posted:

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Darth Walrus posted:

Has this game really not taught you to respect maidens?

* insert image of Malenia impaling someone here *

Oh I'm the worst of the worst. I hang out with Varre and invade other players while looking like the Burger King. Quite the opposite, really.