Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

D.N. Nation posted:

they even made (lovely) shirts!

That's another question, is there any other instance of merchandise acting as a red herring in the same way the Y2AJ shirts did? It seemed ridiculous that WWE would make merch for a team that would only last a matter of weeks, but, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do they actually stock their shirts or just have them printed on demand?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Taker only breaks character when it’s something important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAxmkPK0Bo
There are as many reasons to poo poo on Undertaker as there are extra stars in the sky of the Tokyo Dome when Dave is rating matches, but

2014: "I don't want to break character until after I retire."
2020: "I have retired."
2020-2022: Undertaker goes around breaking character like a motherfucker

doesn't seem near the top of the list?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, it was an event to honor an actual dead person he was presumably friends with. And where is this list and when did I say this should be at the top?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Barry Bluejeans posted:

That's another question, is there any other instance of merchandise acting as a red herring in the same way the Y2AJ shirts did? It seemed ridiculous that WWE would make merch for a team that would only last a matter of weeks, but, well.
I am still upset The Initiative broke up the week my shirt finally arrived :mad: I ordered it like two weeks into their existence

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Tell me the story of ICW[Insane Championship Wrestling] that an out of date and short wikipedia entry wouldn't give me. I see clips on youtube every now and again with Grado and Joe Hendry and it looks really really fun and good.

Is ICW a fun and good promotion? Is it still around? if I wanted to watch a time period for fun stuff what would that period be and where do I find it?

They were fun before the partnership with WWE. I used to like Mikey Whiplash a lot before #SpeakingOut, and they had some fun folks in the top part of the card. But they kept losing people to western promotions, like Grado, Drew McIntyre, and Joe Hendry. It looked like Lionheart was going to be their new top guy....then he killed himself.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 25, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i read that post too quickly and thought "oh no what came out about Mikey Whipwreck in Speaking Out?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Invalid Validation posted:

Smh taker becoming a gamer, whatever happened to respecting the business?

Isn't Taker one of those people who complained wrestlers are playing video games in the locker rooms instead of freebasing soma or whatever?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I mean, it was an event to honor an actual dead person he was presumably friends with. And where is this list and when did I say this should be at the top?

The real reason is the Undertaker is an absolutely awful public speaker and didn't want to ruin the moment. This is why he won't allow any recording of his one DEADman shows.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That makes enough sense for me to decide without any further research it is one thousand percent true.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The real reason is the Undertaker is an absolutely awful public speaker and didn't want to ruin the moment. This is why he won't allow any recording of his one DEADman shows.

There's a world where Bruce Prichard remains his manager and he absolutely doesn't get anywhere near as over and I want to see that world

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bruce Prichard is the kind of guy where your hand smells like urine after you shake his hand.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Bruce Prichard is the kind of guy where your hand smells like urine after you shake his hand.

You smell your hand after handshakes?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Of course, I’m checking for urine.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There's a world where Bruce Prichard remains his manager and he absolutely doesn't get anywhere near as over and I want to see that world

The Bruce interactions on his show sound so bad and I'm dying for someone to sneak a camera in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Paul Bearer is riding a motorcycle through the desert and making neckties out of rattlesnakes...in HELL

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has there ever been a highly-rated (4 stars or above) pre-show match? Something that makes you think you got your money's worth even before the actual show has even started.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Has there ever been a highly-rated (4 stars or above) pre-show match? Something that makes you think you got your money's worth even before the actual show has even started.

AEW Revolution 2022's Buy In ended with a House of Black vs. Death Triangle w/ERICK REDBEARD trios match that got ****1/4

I thought the Forbidden Door Buy In match with Swerve In Our Glory vs Despy & Kanemaru got **** stars but it only got ***1/2

Alaois fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 26, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lily Catts posted:

Swerve/Lee vs Nobu/Despy was my favourite match on Forbidden Door and was on the preshow, though Meltz only gave it 3 1/2

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Halloween Jack posted:

Paul Bearer is riding a motorcycle through the desert and making neckties out of rattlesnakes...in HELLLLL-UAGHHHUHHGHAHUHGH

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why is it called the powerbomb

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lily Catts posted:

I’d probably go 3.5 to 4* for Riho vs Deeb at DoN 2021.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lily Catts posted:

Eddie vs Uncle Jun was a 12 star match

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

Hornswoggle and El Torito’s WeeLC match only got 3 stars which is an absolute crime. That was 4 stars, easily

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Didn't Ishii/Kingston get 4 stars on a pre-show too?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't Taker one of those people who complained wrestlers are playing video games in the locker rooms instead of freebasing soma or whatever?

I believe so.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If not it should have. That match ruled

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Dave went 4.

He also gave 4 and a half to Kingston vs Ishii from All Out 2022.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I keep misreading Riho as Rhino, and now I want to see her spear people through poo poo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hornswoggle and El Torito’s WeeLC match only got 3 stars which is an absolute crime. That was 4 stars, easily

God this. That's one of the last things I remember WWE doing that actually entertained me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

God this. That's one of the last things I remember WWE doing that actually entertained me.

Whoever was responsible for it absolutely understood the assignment.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

He also didn't break character on the Owen memorial show, the Benoit memorial show, the Eddie memorial show, or any previous Hall of Fame/tribute things, so it was kind of baked in. Which is itself pretty absurd, but I guess I was just used to it by the time the Paul Bearer HOF induction happened.

And to be clear, "so dedicated to your cartoony wrestling gimmick you don't want to break character in public until you retire, even when people you are close to die" is actually pretty high on the list of Very Dumb But Not Actively Harmful things to knock Undertaker for. Him retiring and then breaking character a lot was the bit I didn't think was a big deal.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 26, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think we both actually agree and just kind of talked past one another, my apologies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taker only breaks character when it’s something important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAxmkPK0Bo

He heard about gamer words and knew it was a hobby for him

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Lily Catts posted:

Not sure what it was rated (if at all) but I saw Psicosis v Steven Regal open a Nitro in like 1996 and it slayed. Clips from it ended up in the intro video to WCW vs The World.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

I think there was a period in 2017 where The Usos and New Day would have pre-shows tag matches that would be better than anything on the main card.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Lily Catts posted:

Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki was technically on a webcast preshow to an episode of Rampage and was one of the best matches of the year (I think Dave gave it 4.75)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
What is the best little person match? I assume they're professional about it down in Mexico instead of them being a Vince joke, but I don't really know