Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Not sure why theres a cowboy bebop reference at the start of Partitio's chapter in Octopath 2 but I appreciated it. Unless that bit in cowboy bebop was also a reference to something itself..??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Macichne Leainig posted:

Oh boy I love waiting until the endgame to have access to the fun stuff

Yeah, that used to be a real problem about a decade ago. I'm glad most things give you a New Game Plus to mess around with stuff.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Waltzing Along posted:

But really, please keep giving me $10k a month for 1 vid a year.

absolutely, he deserves it. unironically. :colbert:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ShoogaSlim posted:

so thanks to fellow forums poster in this thread, Jows, who gave me a formula for ranking games on my backlog spreadsheet based on hours to beat and metacritic score.

i figured i needed to throw some... objective subjectivity(?) into the mix as well, and i got help from a friend smarter than me to add a modifier based on my actual desire to play any of the games from 1-5. this results in a rank that takes into account length, metacritic score, and how much i want to play the game.

the "final" list had inside and edith finch at the top. two highly rated short games that i wound up playing and beating this week. both were really good!

inside is a game i watched an old roommate play a bit of years ago when it came out, and i was happy to finally play it myself in a single sitting. the gameplay is smooth and the art direction is superb. i love how it tells a compelling, obscure narrative while having zero dialogue or interface at all. pretty sure almost everyone here has played it already so there's not much new i can add to the discourse.

edith finch i was less excited for but short enough to say screw it and go for it. for about an hour i was half intrigued/half bored not knowing what exactly to expect since i never played a walking sim before. to my surprise, it got really inventive and imaginative as it progressed. more than one section had me unexpectedly grinning with joy and one of those sections resulted in me tearing up like a sucker. gregory's sequence is gut wrenchingly beautiful and heartbreaking, and the lewis section is such a delightfully unique take on gameplay and an experience that really nails what it's like to daydream while doing monotonous work IRL.. pretty sure it was a free PS+ game at some point, so if anyone here has it in their library and hasn't played it yet, i highly recommend it!

if anyone's curious how the spreadsheet turned out with a "final rank" based on the three factors mentioned above, here you go:

obviously some titles need to be rearranged bc i'm not gonna play arkham 2 before 1 etc but i'm still super satisfied to have a mostly complete list to refer to so i can knock games out of collecting digital dust in my library.

play what your heart desires! get tunic loaded up! frag some time in quake!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Barge into a room with half a dozen mustachioed killer mannequin robots standing at operating tables, they all simultaneously look at me menacingly, and my dude screams "why aren't any of you working?!"

:blastu:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/vaatividya/status/1629466870024925185?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

:worship:

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
As if boss fights were not already the weakest element of every Yakuza game, the RRG fellas had to go in and make them even worse in Judgement with the "mortal wounds" system, just rotten stuff, at this point I'm just pushing thru the last couple chapters.

That suicide squad sure it's something, they straight up showed 10 seconds of a character unloading an entire clip (of it's weak rear end sounding giant gun) on a purple blob, reload, and keep unloading , they really believed it was exciting gameplay.

My guess is the Rocksteady leadership just delivered the minimum-required-contractually-obligated alpha thing they could, and jumped ship, and let the rest of the studio sink.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

PacoPepe posted:

As if boss fights were not already the weakest element of every Yakuza game, the RRG fellas had to go in and make them even worse in Judgement with the "mortal wounds" system, just rotten stuff, at this point I'm just pushing thru the last couple chapters.

Yeah Judgement could be rough.I don't think I could deal with a Legend run easily.
You can buy first aid kits in the sewers, relatively cheap in end-game. Try some extracts if you haven't already, too.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

we might get FF16 previews dropping next week :eyepop:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Doesn't really seem like the final fantasy anymore.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Death, taxes, and more final fantasy

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fridge corn posted:

Death, taxes, and more final fantasy

At least one of the inevitabilities is good!

Jows
May 8, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

so thanks to fellow forums poster in this thread, Jows, who gave me a formula for ranking games on my backlog spreadsheet based on hours to beat and metacritic score.

i figured i needed to throw some... objective subjectivity(?) into the mix as well, and i got help from a friend smarter than me to add a modifier based on my actual desire to play any of the games from 1-5. this results in a rank that takes into account length, metacritic score, and how much i want to play the game.

the "final" list had inside and edith finch at the top. two highly rated short games that i wound up playing and beating this week. both were really good!

inside is a game i watched an old roommate play a bit of years ago when it came out, and i was happy to finally play it myself in a single sitting. the gameplay is smooth and the art direction is superb. i love how it tells a compelling, obscure narrative while having zero dialogue or interface at all. pretty sure almost everyone here has played it already so there's not much new i can add to the discourse.

edith finch i was less excited for but short enough to say screw it and go for it. for about an hour i was half intrigued/half bored not knowing what exactly to expect since i never played a walking sim before. to my surprise, it got really inventive and imaginative as it progressed. more than one section had me unexpectedly grinning with joy and one of those sections resulted in me tearing up like a sucker. gregory's sequence is gut wrenchingly beautiful and heartbreaking, and the lewis section is such a delightfully unique take on gameplay and an experience that really nails what it's like to daydream while doing monotonous work IRL.. pretty sure it was a free PS+ game at some point, so if anyone here has it in their library and hasn't played it yet, i highly recommend it!

if anyone's curious how the spreadsheet turned out with a "final rank" based on the three factors mentioned above, here you go:

obviously some titles need to be rearranged bc i'm not gonna play arkham 2 before 1 etc but i'm still super satisfied to have a mostly complete list to refer to so i can knock games out of collecting digital dust in my library.

Happy to help goon sir!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

A good number of games in that list are 6 hours or less, so some easy choices when you consider that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’ve never played either Horizon game. Is it worth playing the first game before playing the second? I don’t really care about story spoilers. Just wondering if the second is significantly better I guess.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Astro7x posted:

I’ve never played either Horizon game. Is it worth playing the first game before playing the second? I don’t really care about story spoilers. Just wondering if the second is significantly better I guess.

The second isn’t necessarily better (or worse) in my estimation, it’s just much much larger and filled with more stuff to do. The first game was already decently sized. I would absolutely play the original game first.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a pretty story heavy game you should probably care at least somewhat, and 2 isn't going to make a ton of sense if you don't at least watch some sort of recap. I honestly like the first one better, but 2 is way more visually impressive and much bigger so if you just want fancy graphics and open world content that's the one to go with. Personally I enjoyed the gameplay and story in HZD more.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I played the first one a month before fw came out, it's even better with the 60 fps patch ps5 got.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Alright, I’ll give the first game a shot then. I suppose if it’s not my thing then the sequel doesn’t sound like it’s more enjoyable.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Vikar Jerome posted:

play what your heart desires! get tunic loaded up! frag some time in quake!

this actually has me thinking i can add another column that only weighs metacritic score and desire to play and leave the length out of it.

so at any given time i can sort by a column depending on how i feel. do i want to knock out a good/decent short game? forget desire to play and focus on that metric. do i just want a good game that im eager to play regardless of length? i can sort by a different column. etc etc

i'm ready for the singularity so i dont need to make any choices on my own anymore.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Astro7x posted:

HFW is a huge improvement over HZD in nearly every way but in ways that I think you would really appreciate most by playing HZD first. It’s also a very character/story focused franchise and the experience of the two games is so good played in order where you’re getting this connection to the character’s growth and the big slow reveal of what’s going on in the series. The gameplay and combat is vastly improved from the already fantastic pieces in place from the first game too. I definitely think it’s worth playing both.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, don't play Forbidden West first. As long as you're cool with reading datalogs and stuff, the story of Zero Dawn is fantastic (better than FW, really) and all the mysteries get immediately spoiled to bring you up to speed for the sequel.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Played a lot of octopath 2 today and hell, I had a good time

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Suicide Squad: Kill the Franchise lmao

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I honestly think that HZD in some ways looks better than HFW. The tech is obviously better the second time around but I feel like they pushed it way too far in some ways, like the dramatic hero lighting. It ends up feeling like a tech demo a lot of times, where the first game is just drat good looking because of art direction.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you know people can whine about the durability in Zelda BoTW until they're blue in the face but any day of the week I'd take that system over getting a gun that has a .5% chance of doing 1% extra damage to fire enemies (provided you have at least 2 pieces of Blue gear equipped)

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 25, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Before they showed footage and just had trailers, I'm the idiot that was hoping that Suicide Squad would be like a 4-player squad version of Arkham Knight after Marvel Avengers sucked super hard and Gotham Knights was an ARPG for some reason.

Maybe I'm just not looking at the right games but all I'm looking for is a game with exaggerated ragdolls like it's Kung Fu Hustle; where you hit someone and they go flying the length of a bowling lane away from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fv3N5f7WA&t=143s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoM78QKXsmI

I don't want people crumpling in place like it's Half Life the way they do in Spider-Man, I want them to go flying.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 25, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Augus posted:

you know people can whine about the durability in Zelda BoTW until they're blue in the face but any day of the week I'd take that system over getting a gun that has a .5% chance of doing 1% extra damage to fire enemies (provided you have at least 2 pieces of Blue gear equipped)

:same: :emptyquote:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'd like to not have either

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I liked the Zelda system but I also have a smoke em if you got em mentality to items in games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think I'm overleveled in Elden Ring (around 95) because after a brief jaunt to Volcano Manor (I'm some kind of tarnished assassin now?) I returned to the capital and am just steamrolling everything in my way, including getting Godfrey, another tree beast, and a dragon tree beast in one shot each (and then dying four times in a row to a random guy wielding a ball and chain, naturally). Dungeater also told me to find him in the sewer but I have no idea how to get down there, not sure if I have to mess with the Erdtree first...

I think I've really found my niche with the Godslayer greatsword + jellyfish shield combo with a handful of decent incantations to buff/cure poison/etc, though I also found a rapier that inflicts rot and I'm toying with the idea of dropping my armor and keeping it as a secondary...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gotta save all those items til the end of the game just in case you need them and even if you’re at the final boss this attempt might not be the one and you don’t wanna have to do it again without having those to hand so just sit on them forever and ever except in BOTW this was a full inventory of ancient swords

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The BotW durability system/loot/crafting in general was an absolute masterclass in game design. I guess the entire game was to me though.

lol time for the annual ps5 thread botw chat lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

for 2 days in a row I've played atomic heart from midnight to well past sunrise. this hasn't happened to me since elden ring

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i am like...transfixed. i walked into a room full of bots and it started playing 80s arcade music as was thrashing them with my axe. it was so early int he morning that i felt like i was hallucinating for a few seconds.

edit; anyways DF breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3BjBLVAYgY

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 26, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

man nurse posted:

Suicide Squad: Kill the Franchise lmao

Was so down on the Suicide Squad reveal I put some hours into Gotham Knights and 30fps aside, it's really not that bad after all

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Augus posted:

I like the second one more because the gun doesn't break

And you specifically picked a gun, so I will be ignoring all durability = ammo nonsense :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i'd like to not have either

Thanks for the input on a game you've never played.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks for the input on a game you've never played.

Don't be so sensitive! :cheeky: I don't like weapon durability in any game, all I'm saying. And also the gaas stat bonus number are a disease.

Love games that don't do either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Macaluso posted:

I like the second one more because the gun doesn't break

And you specifically picked a gun, so I will be ignoring all durability = ammo nonsense :colbert:

i would much rather the gun broke because it is worthless trash and I hate it. better to get rid of all that trash in my inventory passively just by playing the game instead of having to stop and do cleanup duty for a hundred worthless sidegrades

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 26, 2023