Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is the best vault inspection I've ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQGi5DemRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

also Mara and Shaxx did not have sex

drat straight

This game is T for Teen, not M for Mature :colbert:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GruntyThrst posted:

You know between this and having Best Character Calus on their side maybe I should cheer team Witness

enh it's not all great

quote:

As the old self falls away there will be only suffering.

I.II
None can sustain in the face absolution, yet evolution demands sacrifice.

I.III
Pain must be accepted as the new constant, or pain will be the all of you.

I.IV
As the white noise of your screams drowns the whispers, you will feel alone. You are alone.

I.V
Is this eternity or oblivion?

I.VI
You will see yourself—outside yourself—and you will long to embrace this new evolution—a beacon on the far end of lost hope.

I.VII
Yet, you will know—through the pain, through the fear—there is no longer a you that was, only what comes next, and all the pain to follow.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/ix-embrace

(Talking about becoming Ascendent)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

drat straight

This game is T for Teen, not M for Mature :colbert:

Exactly. Mara and Shaxx just cuddled over a poetry reading and nothing at all else happened. Saint 14 and Osiris are just good friends, nothing suss.

People who start unzipping their pants over things in a shooter looter video game really need to find a different product channel on the steam storefront.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

The Witness hates mortality and existing on the material plane, it thinks that's the cause of suffering, and it wants all its followers to become Ascendent and immortal, shuck their mortal bodies and live on ever higher and more fundamental planes of existence, while simultaneously destroying everything that doesn't- so that it can 'eat' their information and fold it into itself, to eventually become a singularity, which is also 'nothing'.

But anyway, that belief that living as bodiless transcendent beings forever is infinitely better than living mortal lives? That's the exact same thing the Witness believes.

I'm still catching up with stuff in prep for Lightfall but I did not expect the Destiny story to turn into Evangelion :stare:

So the great collapse was first impact and the Witness is an angel trying to initiate second impact. Calus is Gendo :psyduck:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

can I be rei

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In before the Traveller is the Witness’ ghost and keeps bringing it back without the Witness’ permission, and that’s why it’s trying to kill it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I'm new to the game.

Bought the lightfall pack to get the preorder bonus
It says to check with Rahool or the Cosmodrome spot; neither has anything.

Everything is enabled / etc

Purchased through steam

What am I doing wrong?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

also Mara and Shaxx did not have sex that’s a cringe Redditor interpretation of the lore card. next you’re gonna say Rasputin shot the Traveler or ask who the strongest Guardian is lol

Oooh yeah you’re right sorry sorry we all need to read this extremely literally instead of inferring anything whatsoever based on the tone and structure.

quote:

Mara stared at the Wall of Wishes. She had no more bargains to make. Her plans were in motion.

There was nothing left but the wait.

She pulled a sidearm from a hidden holster and cracked a dozen rounds into the Wall.

The cosmic balance shifted. Somewhere in the Dreaming City, Riven heard the Queen's wish and a thousand shrieking tears in reality cut through the space in front of her.

Lord Shaxx suddenly blocked Mara's view of the Wall.

"—YES, AND WE'D ALL BE DEAD!" He was screaming at no one, with a mug of caffeine in his fist.

He started, almost spilling his coffee. "Where are we?"

Mara slapped the mug out of his hand. It shattered on the floor. She shoved a weathered book in his face. "I told you there would come a time when I collect for the Reef Wars. Read this. Out loud."

"No one tells me what to do," he said, grabbing the book and incinerating it in a bolt of Striker lightning. "I can recite The Tempest by heart." And he did. Mara sat and listened. They stayed for a long time.

The helmet stayed on.

Anyway, sex is bad, everyone get back to violently murdering thousands of aliens from races that turn out to be friendly under the right circumstances.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I respect your posting energy, Guardian

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Step back and thing how absolutely insane it is that the game can put massive amounts of violence in from of you at all times but has to carefully couch any reference at all to sexuality.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Step back and thing how absolutely insane it is that the game can put massive amounts of violence in from of you at all times but has to carefully couch any reference at all to sexuality.

Whedon-pilled

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The helmet stays on

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Walked posted:

What am I doing wrong?

You are trying to play the game as a newbie.

I’m not even joking. I really don’t know what your issue could be.

NGL I’ve started taking screenshots of pop ups that appear when you start the game because (I sure can’t find it) once you dismiss it that information is gone forever.

Is there a notification system where you can go back and see this stuff?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The helmet stays on

Na when saint and Osiris kissed the helmet was definitely off!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

What in the world lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FlapYoJacks posted:

She succeeded in her goal. :colbert:

she absolutely goddamn didn't

Mazerunner posted:

sort of, kind of, not really

yeah i wasn't being entirely accurate between my memory being trash because my brain has holes in it and me paraphrasing with the undertones that i just do not like Mara Sov

Though I have to ask, since it seems like you know: does the player character actually have access to the Lore Books, or are they there for the user? I always interpreted them to be separate from The Guardian's pool of knowledge because there's a lot of poo poo in there that it would be useful for other characters to know that they never act on.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also there's a big-rear end difference between discussing romance or intimacy between characters and talking about a character's tits, hth

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

What in the world lol

MCU poo poo is incredibly "sex doesn't even exist" as well

Bungie of course writes better dialog than Whedon, I wasn't implying that just happened.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

MCU poo poo is incredibly "sex doesn't even exist" as well

Bungie of course writes better dialog than Whedon, I wasn't implying that just happened.

Oh got it I thought you were saying “I” was whedon pilled lol

My bad!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Kith posted:

also there's a big-rear end difference between discussing romance or intimacy between characters and talking about a character's tits, hth

All powerful Mara is blowing off steam after work, literally kidnaps shaxx and uses him as a fuckdoll lol

Edit: Bungie wants us to talk about it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Buffer Gay Dude fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 25, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

:chloe:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Oh cool, been a while since we had a Bust Rodd

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a particular reason why Dungeons don't have matchmaking? I know with some skill and loadout optimization you can solo them but it seems odd that they're premade only.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reckoning was the last truly difficult activity with matchmaking and enough people pissed and moaned about it that Bungie got scared and never did it again

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Im not the studio that changed the model Bud!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well Reckoning had a hard fail state, so that could get kind of frustrating. (I can't remember if you lost your currency on a failed run.)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a particular reason why Dungeons don't have matchmaking? I know with some skill and loadout optimization you can solo them but it seems odd that they're premade only.
Because they're treated as mini-raids - they have a small degree of like, puzzle mechanics and could conceivably be quite frustrating to do with the lowest common denominator player. Some of them very much benefit from voice communication.

I also just don't think it's a good fit for matchmaking. I found it a bit arduous carrying some friends through spire for their first time - but they were on comms with me and long time players. It was still a lot of fun, but it was a lot of work. Obviously I could just avoid matchmaking for a Spire if I don't want to carry noobs through, but i feel like it's going to be an incredibly rough experience when 3 randos with no idea get stuck together.

The in-game LFG coming at the end of the year should go a long way to smoothing this over - once that's around, I think a small speed bump of actually having to commit to a manual group is a good filter for player will/expectations. In the meantime, the LFG on bungie's website is an option if you dont wanna get goons from overchill to help you.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Old Amanda and new Amanda reading the lore books:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Well Reckoning had a hard fail state, so that could get kind of frustrating. (I can't remember if you lost your currency on a failed run.)

Because they're treated as mini-raids - they have a small degree of like, puzzle mechanics and could conceivably be quite frustrating to do with the lowest common denominator player. Some of them very much benefit from voice communication.

I also just don't think it's a good fit for matchmaking. I found it a bit arduous carrying some friends through spire for their first time - but they were on comms with me and long time players. It was still a lot of fun, but it was a lot of work. Obviously I could just avoid matchmaking for a Spire if I don't want to carry noobs through, but i feel like it's going to be an incredibly rough experience when 3 randos with no idea get stuck together.

The in-game LFG coming at the end of the year should go a long way to smoothing this over - once that's around, I think a small speed bump of actually having to commit to a manual group is a good filter for player will/expectations. In the meantime, the LFG on bungie's website is an option if you dont wanna get goons from overchill to help you.\

Put a warning up on the MM screen with big scary letters if Bungie cares that much

Let me wade in the mud if I want. If I get bad teammates I'll just orbit and try again. Don't selectively keep this feature off that's patronizing.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

sure okay posted:

Put a warning up on the MM screen with big scary letters if Bungie cares that much

Let me wade in the mud if I want. If I get bad teammates I'll just orbit and try again. Don't selectively keep this feature off that's patronizing.

I’m sure your “bad teammates” will love the experience

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sure okay posted:

Again, the point is the LFG system (which already exists, but is stupidly out of game till Season 23) is supposed to cover these sorts of things. If you're apathetic enough to be willing to run with whoever, then slapping up an LFG post on bungie.net that says "Spire No Mic" will probably get you players real quick. The LFG tool on the website isn't half bad because there's a straight up "send invite" button that will attempt to invite signsup in game - no additional typing or copy-pasting needed on your part.

I think without a little bit of friction, matchmaking players would give themselves a much worse experience and would probably just complain rather then find friends/use comms/etc.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

I think without a little bit of friction, matchmaking players would give themselves a much worse experience and would probably just complain rather then find friends/use comms/etc.

This is the truest thing

“Spire #nomic #kwyd” is enough that all parties are aligned and know what they are getting into. The minimal friction is critical.

Xbox lfg is pretty darn good, does PlayStation have something similar? It’s a shame every studio has to replicate this poo poo across all platforms.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The bungie.net LFG is cross-platform, available through the phone and, but obviously doesn't offer any system level voice chat or party. But that shouldn't really be a problem if you're doing no-mic, (and there's always in game voice) so I don't really think there's much need for platform specific solutions?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Oxyclean posted:

Again, the point is the LFG system (which already exists, but is stupidly out of game till Season 23) is supposed to cover these sorts of things. If you're apathetic enough to be willing to run with whoever, then slapping up an LFG post on bungie.net that says "Spire No Mic" will probably get you players real quick. The LFG tool on the website isn't half bad because there's a straight up "send invite" button that will attempt to invite signsup in game - no additional typing or copy-pasting needed on your part.

Counterpoint to people against a in game LFG: Making people jump through hoops to even begin the process to do stuff that should have been in the basic game and is a long time industry standard as a whole is dumb and bad. Just as people who think making it more tedious to find a group will somehow counteract idiots being idiots by having to tab out and make a group on a website instead of just putting naming functionality into their LFG in game party app are dumb and bad.

What really happens is that people who don't want to deal with the bullshit of fiddling around on a website to do stuff that takes them out of the game itself will just not bother to do the content, creating a closed pool of players who are too blinkered to realize that a solid chunk of the playerbase doesn't want to bother to deal with it unless they have friends to pressure them into it. The idiots that knowingly screw up raids and the like will blithely cruise along regardless of what others think and gently caress up your raid groups regardless.

This is literally online game design 100 stuff.

Bungie should have told the whiners to go blow space sand when they complained and then added LFG to everything as punishment for being stupid. And I do mean everything, even the open world planet content. Just full on: The beatings will continue until players learn to socialize.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 25, 2023

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

If it can be, and commonly is, soloable then I should be able to matchmake it. Let me do all the work while I carry 2 knuckleheads who just shoot whatever. Maybe they'll rez me if I make a mistake.

But I don't wanna talk to them. Ew.

Again, I get that it's not for everyone. But Bungie tut tutting going "well then maybe it's not for anyone" is patronizing. This how I wanna play - I wanna watch a youtube video on a dungeon, learn the mechanics, and feel it out with randos as I try to do everything as if I was solo (and not talk to them). I really don't see how this is fundamentally different than a strike.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

But again, this is exactly what the LFG tool is for. It's a knee high hurdle to prevent new players from giving themselves a bad time. The option is very much there for you to drag scrubs through dungeons, I'm sure some would be overjoyed for a chance at a carry.

Just personally, I've gotten a lot more enjoyment out of the game by crossing that hurdle and finding friends to do dungeons with, and goons to do raids with.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah but online interaction is not rated by ESRB

I could be knee deep in some dead Fallen on my way to kill their Prime servitor and my fire teammate is like, "booby bottoms handjob"

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Archonex posted:

Counterpoint to people against a LFG: Making people jump through hoops to even begin the process to do stuff that should have been in the basic game and is a long time industry standard as a whole is dumb and bad. Just as people who think making it more tedious to find a group will somehow counteract idiots being idiots by having to tab out and make a group on a website instead of just putting naming functionality into their LFG in game party app are dumb and bad.

What really happens is that people who don't want to deal with the bullshit of fiddling around on a website to do stuff that takes them out of the game itself will just not bother to do the content, creating a closed pool of players who are too blinkered to realize that a solid chunk of the playerbase doesn't want to bother to deal with it unless they have friends to pressure them into it. The idiots that knowingly screw up raids and the like will blithely cruise along regardless of what others think and gently caress up your raid groups regardless.

This is literally online game design 100 stuff.

Bungie should have told the whiners to go blow space sand when they complained and then added LFG to everything as punishment for being stupid. And I do mean everything, even the open world planet content. Just full on: The beatings will continue until players learn to socialize.

Sorry but you’re just wrong. No animosity and I wish you the best.

I do think an in game lfg or something that further reduces the hurdle from knee to even ankle or toe high is great. But I think people like you severely underestimate how sideways a player pool gets if there’s matchmaking for fail-state stuff that doesn’t also severely punish leavers / bad actors.

Also no one is purposefully loving up raid groups btw. I’ve never seen that, ever. I’ve seen people bounce too early after a blown run, but that’s pretty different.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It IS possible to force players to evolve a communal knowledge base and tactics to the point where they can overcome high difficulty content (Reckoning is a great example, as is Freelance Trials), but it comes at the cost of people inevitably getting pissed off about pubs. In my opinion that's not much of a price, but Bungie wants to avoid as much community angst as possible, so that's why they don't do public matchmaking for endgame stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I think reckoning is a terrible example!

and freelance trials is sui generis because a) it’s a separate playlist and b) it’s just another version of pvp which is heavily matchmade and we’ve had matchmade elimination before

This has been beat to death but Bungie essentially invented the fps raid and they couldn’t have done it or continued doing it if they came at it from a “needs matchmaking” mindset. If everyone wants matchmade everything you’re going to have to sacrifice content quality. Raids would have to be reduced to dungeon-level and everything else would have to be similarly stepped down.