Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storefri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

interrestingly, the original run had the Botox gag be a Cher gag?

And the birth date update from 1950

Is this seriously fooling anyone?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Just having a ball-gown-wearing, pipe-smoking, canapé-eating, martini-drinking, politics-arguing party at the home of the couple who have multiple toddlers. You know, like you do.

Slylock Fox

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I only follow the comic strip thread intermittently, but Wilber is stalking people now?! Holy poo poo someone put that dude out of his misery.

Speaking of, apparently Funky Winkerbean ended too?

It "ended" in that he's just shoveling everyone into crankshaft

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Just having a ball-gown-wearing, pipe-smoking, canapé-eating, martini-drinking, politics-arguing party at the home of the couple who have multiple toddlers. You know, like you do.

The joke is more that Uncle Bob can't help himself ut start a political argument no matter the setting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Esplanade posted:

I think you accidentally posted two consecutive Mary Worths here.

"If you have a Wilbur problem, if no one else can help and if you can find him....
maybe you can hire The Phantom"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/24/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 6/22-24/50

Spoilered for more Native nonsense.

Smokey Stover 2/22/53

Everyday Movies 2/24/36

"The second-floor front was kicking because she's had this patched sheet the last three times, so put it on the fourth floor hall room bed this time."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/12-14/40

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (February 28, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 12, 1989)

Crankshaft, in which the twins exhibit their bleeding-edge insights into modern social media.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire, featuring the cruelest villain.

Thimble Theater (September 27, 1939)

Out Our Way (March 3-5, 1941)

e: vvv

Cowslips Warren posted:

What...what Ronald Dahl stuff?

Do I want to know?

Yeah, there was a whole...thing...this week.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Do I want to know?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Do I want to know?

some of his books were republished without swears and something something cancel culture

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cowslips Warren posted:

Do I want to know?

The owners of the Dahl books went through them and made a bunch of edits for the new editions, trying to remove stuff (like his rabid hatred of fat people) that didn't fit with modern sensibilities.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you've ever read Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, well holy poo poo

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

It's not even the first time Dahl has been rewritten to remove some racist stuff, although back then it was less controversial because it was him doing the rewrites.

Anecdote time: when I worked at Random House Children's Books, a couple years after Dahl died we got a letter from a school class in California asking us to please remove the bit in James and the Giant Peach where the Old Green Grasshopper says, "I'd rather be fried and eaten by a Mexican!" We debated it around the office quite a bit but finally decided no, we couldn't unilaterally rewrite the book. Besides, chapulines are a thing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

drat, that's a fine Popeye.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

Mara Llave seems good but I forgot it existed so maybe they needed a substantially bigger backlog of strips. :shobon:
Yeah they really should have started with a backlog. I'm real interested but it's hard to follow when you get one strip every few weeks.

Esplanade posted:

I think you accidentally posted two consecutive Mary Worths here.

:lol:

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

I don't know if this has been posted in here yet, but Heathcliff has a Jimmy collection.

I got a t-shirt because I'm a stupid nerd.

Unlucky7 posted:

I only follow the comic strip thread intermittently, but Wilber is stalking people now?! Holy poo poo someone put that dude out of his misery.
Wilbur has a history of stalking. He stalked Tommy's mom for a while after breaking up with her for a much younger Brazilian woman.

The last few years he's really grown into a character people love to hate. Last year he got some mainstream attention by having a death fake-out story. Apparently the writer is tired of writing him but the syndicate keeps making her.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

STOP IT MARY

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons
What are the scissors identifying??

B. Virtanen

ANSU
Spoilered for boobs

Fingerpori

Lanttu = swede (the vegetable), also common slang term for brains/smarts/head.
Mitenkäs lanttu? = "How's the swede?" or "How about swede?"; literally "How swede" with the verb omitted.
Mitenkäs lanttu? = "How's the head?" or "How're the brains?" or "Your head working as usual?"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Hempuli posted:

What are the scissors identifying??

Which rock beat it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Murdstone posted:

I don't know if this has been posted in here yet, but Heathcliff has a Jimmy collection.

I got a t-shirt because I'm a stupid nerd.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

interrestingly, the original run had the Botox gag be a Cher gag?

And the birth date update from 1950

all right this is too far

They've turned it from "Ellie is the same age as my parents" to "Ellie is the same age as my younger brother [and transitively, Elizabeth, because I'm the same age as Michael, who is graduating high school this year in strip time]"

god damnit

btw this is what Cher was up to in 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyncsw3yq-k

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zit

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hoover Dam posted:

They've turned it from "Ellie is the same age as my parents" to "Ellie is the same age as my younger brother [and transitively, Elizabeth, because I'm the same age as Michael, who is graduating high school this year in strip time]"

god damnit

Yeah, that ruined my morning when I saw it, too, for the exact same reason.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

Is this seriously fooling anyone?

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm only one year younger than New Ellie and I'm ALWAYS watching Botox videos. It's a totally normal thing for middle-aged ladies of today to watch!

Luann

Gil Thorp

As far as I can tell, Tobias is saying he wishes his mom had gone through with aborting him. Dark.

Home Free

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
There is a special place in hell for people who insist on putting corn in tacos.

This is my 'pineapple on pizza' hill, and I will gladly die on it!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you've missed it Scott Adams was so tired of LARPing as a brave cancelled conservative voice that he went and did it for real with Dilbert being dropped from many papers. :getin: Thread had the rant yesterday but it seems today the editorial drops have begun.

I like Storefri but Vidar is a little bit past the rear end in a top hat line in this cafeteria story.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

End of the chapter! Thanks for not enslaving the Earth, Sabao!

Cthulhu and Girl

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Elder god mind-fuckery confirmed permanent, I guess.

I feel like a running gag in "Cthulhu and Girl" is that Inaba's natural goodness and pure heart are the most powerful force in the universe. She overwhelmed Cthulhu's innate spirit and turned him into an adoring companion who uses his incredible power to help Inaba become an idol

Edit: the ending of the Sabao story is so cute. He takes the little apron with his name on it! And then he has a little party with his coworkers to celebrate his return and their decision to spare the earth

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 26, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Doomykins posted:

If you've missed it Scott Adams was so tired of LARPing as a brave cancelled conservative voice that he went and did it for real with Dilbert being dropped from many papers. :getin: Thread had the rant yesterday but it seems today the editorial drops have begun.

The big one from overnight was Gannett's USA Today Network, and I'm not 100% certain that that all 200+ of their local dailies were carrying Dilbert, but that's a number that's going to move the needle a bit if even a fraction of them did.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Hoover Dam posted:

god damnit

No way this Boomer bitch [edit: Ellie, not Cher, who is a goddess] is younger than I am. I refute it utterly.

Hippocrass posted:

There is a special place in hell for people who insist on putting corn in tacos.

This is my 'pineapple on pizza' hill, and I will gladly die on it!

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170406/downtown/blimey-poll-shows-brits-love-corn-on-pizza-other-weird-stuff/

Meanwhile in Britain...

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 26, 2023

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ohhhhh. My mind went to nails and I guess I was so stuck on that thought that I couldn't think beyond it. In my defense I'll argue that the rocks don't look very much like rocks or anything else

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/23-25/50

In 1950, door-to-door scissors grinders were a dying breed, but Kelly and his audience would still have remembered them.

Albert is referring to Rin Tin Tin in the third panel.

Jughead Vs. Thirst 8/19-21/46

Selachian fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 26, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Open The Bloodgates." "Yes Sir!"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To feel old, I watch YouTube compilations of TikTok videos of people younger looking than me see themselves in the teenager filter and cry and wave hello to themselves.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Toonerville Folks (October 7-9, 1920)

Dok's Dippy Suspicious Activity In A War Zone (August 8, 1914)

Little Lefty (February 7-9, 1938)

Our Boarding House was today's designated victim of my busted work ethic. Apologies as always.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

Jughead Vs. Thirst 8/19-21/46

Jughead is great.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Hoover Dam posted:

god damnit

This is me every time Curtis's Dad's musical tastes get moved forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Just in case any of you were wondering the same thing I was wondering, Sonny Bono died in 1998.