Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Was it last year when that vid of the Cyberpower wiring came out? Whenever that happened I bought a refurb APC from these guys: https://www.refurbups.com/. Been working great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jawbroken posted:

There's no way the cost-benefit ratio for buying a UPS works out for anyone that isn't being literally charged money for having downtime, so I suggest you don't care about features or reliability and just buy whichever one looks coolest in your price range and hope it doesn't burn your house down.

I knew I shouldn't have signed that 99.99% Plex uptime SLA my wife shoved in my face.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

jawbroken posted:

There's no way the cost-benefit ratio for buying a UPS works out for anyone that isn't being literally charged money for having downtime, so I suggest you don't care about features or reliability and just buy whichever one looks coolest in your price range and hope it doesn't burn your house down.

How big are the risks of substantive data loss due to power loss for an ordinary user?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
If your hardware and software setup is so fragile that you think an unexpected power outage (alternatively, a software/kernel crash) has a high probability of causing you to lose a considerable amount of data then fix that long before you fix your power supply reliability. I'm sure nobody has an accurate estimate of this probability, so I can only say it has never happened to me on ZFS even over a long period of regular kernel panics when debugging the macOS kext. Everyone else in this thread will tell you that you should have backups anyway, in which case we're only really talking about uptime.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The only reason I thought to ask is because the power goes out somewhat frequently here due to the amount of trees we have, and we recently had an ice storm that knocked out power that had me try to safely shut down prior to the power going all the way off. I have surge protectors for all of my equipment, but when the power came back Synology had a big scary warning about data loss due to improper shutdown.

I’m not sure how much that would affect a nas that just acts as a secondary backup + plex server, but I also didn’t realise a UPS was as expensive as they were :shobon:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I use a UPS for all my network gear and some security cameras - all of them are POE and we lose power sometimes during storms or just an occasional blip, so it's nice that the Internet and what not stays up without a full house generator. I am happy to pay for Eatons to not have my house burn down LOL.

Normal computers with journalling filesystems should be quite resilient to power loss though if that's your only concern.

Edit: Also a smaller UPS for Plex/Jellytime uptime for the family, very necessary to keep my parents occupied during the long horrible Canada winters

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

With any sort of journaling filesystem a hard power off is unlikely to corrupt or lose your data. And with something like ZFS I think it would be fair to say it's impossible. Anything actually on the disk will be perfectly safe.

However your OS will probably buffer a few seconds worth of data in system RAM, and some SSDs will do that again in their own RAM. So there's a risk of corrupting data there, if for example you had just edited and saved a file and the SSD was still writing the new blocks.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Sure, if you lose power briefly every couple of weeks or whatever then your benefit calculation might change. Doesn't apply to almost every person reading this and living in a country with functioning infrastructure, though. And if you lose power that often then perhaps you should consider just getting a whole-house generator or battery.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

jawbroken posted:

And if you lose power that often then perhaps you should consider just getting a whole-house generator or battery.

At that point I'd look into a few kWh of lifepo4 batteries and one of those integrated hybrid off grid inverters. Maybe add some solar as well :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

3rd world USA :negative:

House generator is on the radar, but at $12k it’s a little lower priority for now lol

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

jawbroken posted:

Sure, if you lose power briefly every couple of weeks or whatever then your benefit calculation might change. Doesn't apply to almost every person reading this and living in a country with functioning infrastructure, though. And if you lose power that often then perhaps you should consider just getting a whole-house generator or battery.
My friend this is a thread where people buy enterprise storage arrays to hoard DVD rips of Everybody Loves Raymond

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've got some old Intel enterprise SSD's that have a fat capacitor, supposedly for dealing with power cuts etc
Sadly only a few 120GB ones so unlikely to save my precious filez

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wolrah posted:

Right now I am 3/3 on Tripp Lite 2U UPSes that I've installed for clients failing such that they present over USB as 100% charged and no faults, but don't actually work when they try to switch to battery.

Tripp Lite has a great reputation in the power protection world but my experience with their UPSes has been firmly negative.

drat, that sounds like my cyberpower too. It was totally presenting as fine but pull the plug and.. poof.

Also even running the self-test would cause it to happen.

I think anything consumer grade is kind of poo poo tbh

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

phosdex posted:

Was it last year when that vid of the Cyberpower wiring came out?
Everyone blamed some glue turning brown, but IIRC that theory was eventually shot down, and it was just assumed that people made a mountain out of a molehill, because the issue looked bigger than it was, due to the model range in question being pretty popular. Once you start digging into reviews of APC units, there's plenty of complaints about these, too. Furthermore, from what I remember on a few teardowns, the newer models of theirs were of similar build quality as the CP ones, and APC/Schneider being just as much of a pain in the rear end in about support regarding defective units.

tl,dr: All consumer units are a poo poo show.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got 2 CP UPSs and I've had one of them for like 6 years without issues. I had to replace the battery on it a few years ago because it stopped holding a charge but that's a pretty normal maintenance item for anything with a battery.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

My friend this is a thread where people buy enterprise storage arrays to hoard DVD rips of Everybody Loves Raymond
Look, all my FreeBSD isos are very important, okay!?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Excuse me, some of us have very important data.

Like blu-ray rips of Stargate SG-1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They put SD content on Blu-rays?

I'm near the end of season 7 on PrimeVideo, and the video quality is meager. Can't tell if the master was that poo poo or Amazon are being idiots.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everyone blamed some glue turning brown, but IIRC that theory was eventually shot down, and it was just assumed that people made a mountain out of a molehill, because the issue looked bigger than it was, due to the model range in question being pretty popular. Once you start digging into reviews of APC units, there's plenty of complaints about these, too. Furthermore, from what I remember on a few teardowns, the newer models of theirs were of similar build quality as the CP ones, and APC/Schneider being just as much of a pain in the rear end in about support regarding defective units.

tl,dr: All consumer units are a poo poo show.

all UPSs are shitshows. We had a problem child 3-rack Eaton 480v unit here that kept causing problems after 4 mfg service visits and they finally gave up, disconnected it from anything and it still lives wedged under the stairs waiting for disposal to this day

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

Small UPSes are terrible about having these things. Even when you get into rackmount size ones you're gonna have to pay for APC or better to get this. And potentially spend several hundred more on a network/management card for it to have these features.
FWIW both the CyberPower and APC 1500VA desktop towers I have, both in the $250-300 range, do run regular self tests. The APC does it automatically, the CyberPower requires the device be connected to a PC running their software. I haven't tested whether NUT can handle these ones, my server and router are on the APC, the CyberPower runs my desktop.

I have no idea if they actually calibrate anything based on that, but they definitely do something where relays click and the box starts emitting a 60Hz hum while indicating they're on battery.

jawbroken posted:

A few times a year I'll have a quick power blip where things either brownout or blackout for maybe 1-3 seconds and then go back to normal. My UPSes exist basically so I can keep working or playing through those without having to wait for everything to reboot and potentially also avoid the aggravation of having not saved either whatever I'm working or whatever game I'm playing for however long before that point.

Now, some people take it way too far and think they need to overspend on massive runtime where they'd be better off just installing a generator if they really need to stay running during extended outages, but a few hundred bucks every 3-5 years to be able to ignore any outages that self-correct and shut down on my schedule during longer ones is a decent deal to me.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

They put SD content on Blu-rays?

I'm near the end of season 7 on PrimeVideo, and the video quality is meager. Can't tell if the master was that poo poo or Amazon are being idiots.
There's a blu-ray box set of like, all Stargate series, I think they upscaled older seasons? I don't actually have the set, I was mostly joking.

If I had a blu-ray drive I would probably be ripping Star Trek right now

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Less Fat Luke posted:

Hahaha ouch. It’s Better Call Saul for me :/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the recommended backup software to use in Windows?

I have been using Duplicati for a few years after CrashPlan ditched. It's fine but not great in the UI department and setting it up/fixing issues can be a pain. I'm mostly backing up to a Synology NAS and Backblaze. Somone mentioned Arq is quite good, but maybe the Synology software is fine?

Let me know if this is better asked in the Windows thread instead.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've had no complaints with macrium, the paid 4 pack was worth it

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Confirming that that $20 Delta fan from eBay quiets an ML30 fine. No bracket and a short cable, but I just kinda jammed it in there. I'll look into something more permanent, but it's probably fine.

Thanks for the tips, thread.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Red_Fred posted:

What's the recommended backup software to use in Windows?

I have been using Duplicati for a few years after CrashPlan ditched. It's fine but not great in the UI department and setting it up/fixing issues can be a pain. I'm mostly backing up to a Synology NAS and Backblaze. Somone mentioned Arq is quite good, but maybe the Synology software is fine?

Let me know if this is better asked in the Windows thread instead.

There's an actual Backup Thread on page 2

I once asked the same question about alternatives to duplicati in the backup thread and got recommended UrBackup. I thought it was pretty good -- it does incremental always-on backup like duplicati, but with a much simpler normal actual files endpoint. Seems like it would work great for backing up to a local NAS. (I didn't end up using it because I don't have a NAS and do backups to external drives like a caveman.)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
UPSes are harder than people think to design and even harder to fund properly for the desired design goals. Think every other interview I've been on where a company still has a datacenter asked me if I had ever designed high availability UPS networks.

Even freakin' Amazon had massive problems with their UPS setup about 10 years ago during a storm in which us-east-1 went down basically. Verizon also had problems with the 911 system's UPSes and wound up getting fined n million dollars by the FCC I believe.

Enos Cabell posted:

I knew I shouldn't have signed that 99.99% Plex uptime SLA my wife shoved in my face.
The SLA performance measurement is only done around the time the user's favorite shows are coming up so as long as it only ever goes down late at night or when she's working that works out.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
A really good feature for Sonarr/Radarr would be to include the video/audio codecs in Quality Definitions. I have to transcode all the time anyway to account for my lovely upload bandwith and whatever busted smart TV client an end user is watching from. Might as well have some more modern video codecs that have better compression for more disk space savings.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

UPSes are harder than people think to design and even harder to fund properly for the desired design goals. Think every other interview I've been on where a company still has a datacenter asked me if I had ever designed high availability UPS networks.
It's easy if all your equipment runs off of 48v DC and you have a billion dollar budget for copper.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

waffle enthusiast posted:

Oh neat. Synology Drive will sync my Lightroom catalog file just fine, but balks at all the other .lrcat files/folders. I assume there’s no easy fix to tell it to “just sync everything in a folder, irrespective of read-onlyness or other attributes or naming conventions.”

Trip report: Haha, well this is annoying. I guess Synology Drive doesn't sync "system" files out-of-the-box by default, so you have to toggle the system flag on the files/folders before syncing. Leaving this here in case it helps someone else w/ troubleshooting Lr or other non-system system files. Seems like Synology Drive client definitely needs a yeet setting.

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/149640?page=2&sort=oldest

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tatsujin posted:

A really good feature for Sonarr/Radarr would be to include the video/audio codecs in Quality Definitions. I have to transcode all the time anyway to account for my lovely upload bandwith and whatever busted smart TV client an end user is watching from. Might as well have some more modern video codecs that have better compression for more disk space savings.

In Radarr, you can make a custom format and use that to sort of tag a movie for things you want, like x265.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

phosdex posted:

In Radarr, you can make a custom format and use that to sort of tag a movie for things you want, like x265.

Nice, makes sense as I already use them to blacklist certain file/container formats

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's always Tdarr if you don't mind transcoding media yourself.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There's a collection of custom formats that help prioritize specific formats:
https://trash-guides.info/Radarr/Radarr-collection-of-custom-formats/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That was fun. Discovered I was transcoding into my Plex docker container last night with no external mount.

That's fixed and it now points at /dev/shm.

Legit shocked I didn't fill up my img but I guess 120second buffers don't take much space.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

NAS for iMac question. I need to back up photoshop and procreate files regularly, plus iphone backups. I’ve read that Time Machine is cripplingly slow. Whats the solution for automatic file and backups to an NAS then? I’m eyeing Synology combos fwiw.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Personally, I’m just using time machine pointed at a folder on the NAS and calling it a day, but that’s only because it’s a MacBook that I don’t take anywhere and will soon be replaced by an iMac

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Personally, I’m just using time machine pointed at a folder on the NAS and calling it a day, but that’s only because it’s a MacBook that I don’t take anywhere and will soon be replaced by an iMac

What will you do when you replace it with the iMac? This is my first foray into backing up anything. Haven’t had a need.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ThePopeOfFun posted:

What will you do when you replace it with the iMac? This is my first foray into backing up anything. Haven’t had a need.

It’s been a while, but I think I use migration assistant with the latest TM backup and it Just Works™ , and then I point the iMac to the same TM folder on the synology and return 2 calling it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I love Time Machine, and I've never noticed a problem with the backup speeds being an issue.