Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
"Maro, we found a player who clicked the smiley face even though they lost"
"Excellent work, match them against all the players who only click the smiley face when they win, and activate THE SHUFFLER"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I have clicked :) often after tight games I lost because I did enjoy myself, and clicked :( after I utterly crushed an opp because they were screwed or whatever because that was not in fact fun. If you only have fun when you're winning then half the time playing Magic you are not having fun which seems bizarre to me

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I have clicked :) often after tight games I lost because I did enjoy myself, and clicked :( after I utterly crushed an opp because they were screwed or whatever because that was not in fact fun. If you only have fun when you're winning then half the time playing Magic you are not having fun which seems bizarre to me

I agree but I also have 5% more fun when on the play instead of on the draw

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I always skip because I refuse to help them gather data.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Algid posted:

I always skip because I refuse to help them gather data.

playing the game helps them gather data

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I play a deck with 60 lands, just to confuse them.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Would anyone want to do a draft log review of this one? https://www.17lands.com/draft/a0302448cf1f484fab4b15e76210116c

Ultimately the deck did pretty good because it got hooked up on rares, but I am curious if folks would've made other picks in certain places as I feel like I am probably losing win percentage around the edges rather than on the core of the format

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kashuno posted:

Would anyone want to do a draft log review of this one? https://www.17lands.com/draft/a0302448cf1f484fab4b15e76210116c

Ultimately the deck did pretty good because it got hooked up on rares, but I am curious if folks would've made other picks in certain places as I feel like I am probably losing win percentage around the edges rather than on the core of the format

Honestly I'm probably taking P1P1 Atraxa there, so we're going different ways right from the start.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

lol at your P2P1-3, what a staggering succession of gifts. Also generally again, why do people not pick red higher?! I keep seeing Volt Charges like P3P6, that is insane

P2P11: I would have considered the Longlegs here, I think you're more often going to lose because you don't have enough early blockers than due to not having clunky removal for huge threats
P2P13: I think the green skullbomb is awful, whereas Growth might be key to swing a game around

P3P1: second troll I'd never play, the Bladegrasp is cheaper, good body and synergizes well with your batterfists
P3P7: I've never seen predation steward do much, Slinger can be clutch against some strong threats tho
P3P8: tough one. Rabble is excellent, but I might pick Predation here to have another removal, as you already have a lot of cheap and great bodied creatures

(in the end, both of these suggestions ended up in your deck anyway because the colors were both free, absurd but okay)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Kashuno posted:

p1p1 axiom has similar wr% but in a better color pair. For the rest of the pack basically I would have avoided black completely, it pairs very poorly with red and you didn't actually see any good black cards aside from the one skulldweller, and that's worse in RB than the crescendo you could have taken is in RG.

p2p9 viral spawning is much worse than mantis, p2p14 titanic growth is good while skullbomb is unplayable (over 5% wr difference).

Aside from being fed bombs pack 2, you also just got incredibly lucky to see no very little competition for the best colors.

Also for the build absolutely play halberd, cut skullbomb and blightbranch for another predation steward, you probably don't need 2 rustvine with 2 scrapgorgers already either, switch 1 for crescendo imo.

Algid fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 25, 2023

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I agree with Predation over the last Rabble. Crazy draft. Odd you saw no Blasts in packs two or three

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

lol at your P2P1-3, what a staggering succession of gifts. Also generally again, why do people not pick red higher?! I keep seeing Volt Charges like P3P6, that is insane

Looking over my own draft and I saw a p2p5 volt charge, followed by p2p6 hexgold slash + volt charge lmao, what are people doing.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/9c52ab61a2764d7da0320b28064b0058

I was almost as lucky as Kashuno, though I like to think cutting red so hard pack 1 helped me later, maybe that explains the wealth of pack 2 burn.

Algid fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 25, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Algid posted:

what are people doing.
It's weird, in BRO it was relatively quickly decided that Rakdos was a consistent way to victory and people started overdrafting it, though admittedly there were also a lot of people forcing UW soldiers so there was room for both cookie cutter strats to exist (and I got two mono-G trophies lol).

Meanwhile in ONE, everybody "knows" that Gruul beats OR oil is the way to go, goons keep posting trophy screenshots with RG decks, but the general public is like "red? Outta here with this poo poo"

Is it possible that poison has such an allure that everybody keeps wanting to make it happen? Especially black seems way overdrafted compared to how mediocre it is, and white is both good and toxic so you never really see it open.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah looking it back over it really is wild going into p2 looking for direction and p2 just showering me with RG good stuff. All the picks y'all are talking about make tons of sense to me. I struggled with viral spawning vs lattice mantis p2p9 until the last second lol. P3P2 was another where it was tough, only had hexgold slash for removal and was between infectious bite and another vorrac. I landed on the vorrac but I'm not sure if that was right, bite seems like it would've been good to shore up my removal.

Algid posted:

Looking over my own draft and I saw a p2p5 volt charge, followed by p2p6 hexgold slash + volt charge lmao, what are people doing.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/9c52ab61a2764d7da0320b28064b0058

I was almost as lucky as Kashuno, though I like to think cutting red so hard pack 1 helped me later, maybe that explains the wealth of pack 2 burn.

people are afraid to go into RG I feel like. Like they don't want to compete for it at the table so they just go somewhere else and someone who has a reason to go hard in the colors reaps the rewards a lot.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Yeah looking it back over it really is wild going into p2 looking for direction and p2 just showering me with RG good stuff. All the picks y'all are talking about make tons of sense to me. I struggled with viral spawning vs lattice mantis p2p9 until the last second lol. P3P2 was another where it was tough, only had hexgold slash for removal and was between infectious bite and another vorrac. I landed on the vorrac but I'm not sure if that was right, bite seems like it would've been good to shore up my removal.
I thought about commenting on both picks but ultimately decided that I'd have taken the same cards as you. I think Spawning to bring the curve down is an okay decision, but perhaps wrong unless you have toxic for the flashback. Vorrac is always good imo, it trades extremely well with many things and in that sense you're also using a card to get rid of one of theirs, but you gained advantage from it beforehand!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played against the Azorius "White Sun Twilight is my only win con" deck twice in a row with my Esper Superfriends deck, and it's incredibly satisfying to win by ticking Vraska up while holding 2-3 board wipes.

Also Esper Superfriends? Pretty fun deck. Less so against monored since there's a LOT of hasty dudes and a LOT of burn, but still a fun deck. I hope they never print a "Destroy all Planeswalkers" wipe.

quote:

Deck
2 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
2 Void Rend (SNC) 230
3 Sheoldred's Edict (ONE) 108
3 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
2 Drown in Ichor (ONE) 91
2 Farewell (NEO) 13
4 Depopulate (SNC) 10
1 Kaya, Intangible Slayer (ONE) 205
1 Kaito, Dancing Shadow (ONE) 204
1 Kaito Shizuki (NEO) 226
1 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
2 The Eternal Wanderer (ONE) 11
1 Jace, the Perfected Mind (ONE) 57
2 Teferi, Temporal Pilgrim (BRO) 66
3 Vraska, Betrayal's Sting (ONE) 115
3 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
1 Plaza of Heroes (DMU) 252
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Seachrome Coast (ONE) 258
4 Underground River (BRO) 267
2 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
4 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
2 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
4 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
1 Darkslick Shores (ONE) 250
4 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Sorin the Mirthless (VOW) 131

Sideboard
1 Duress (XLN) 105
1 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
2 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Temporary Lockdown (DMU) 36
1 Cut Down (DMU) 89
2 Pilfer (DMU) 102
3 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
2 Cut Down (DMU) 89

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to win you get asked if you had fun after a match?

I am assuming they need more telemetry to figure out how best to keep sub-50 players like myself in the ecosystem to keep feeding lol

Both this set and last set I keep grinding with standard and explorer decks that I play because I like the concept and think they're fun even though I have atrocious win rates with them (currently 21% and 36% lol)

I have completely planted to the floor of platinum... seems like a distant memory that time I was in Mythic numbers in constructed

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm looking to up my constructed game. Most or all of my decks are usually some form of "play every single card you can and overwhelm your opponent" like Selesnya Enchantments, Azorious Soldiers, etc. Which I guess is considered agro. What would be a good deck or two to try to win the long game? I guess they're considered control, which I am not familiar playing with.

I would like to avoid mono blue with Haughty Djinn if possible.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope they never print a "Destroy all Planeswalkers" wipe.

Blood on the Snow!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Node posted:

I'm looking to up my constructed game. Most or all of my decks are usually some form of "play every single card you can and overwhelm your opponent" like Selesnya Enchantments, Azorious Soldiers, etc. Which I guess is considered agro. What would be a good deck or two to try to win the long game? I guess they're considered control, which I am not familiar playing with.

I would like to avoid mono blue with Haughty Djinn if possible.
Assuming you are playing Bo1:
This probably the strongest control deck right now especially against the soldiers meta, even has a guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGzxtGLx4VI

I am also enjoying playing this poison/proliferate control, which fairly fast and cheap for a control deck:

Deck
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
4 Prologue to Phyresis (ONE) 65
2 Experimental Augury (ONE) 49
4 Anoint with Affliction (ONE) 81
4 Vraska's Fall (ONE) 116
4 Reject Imperfection (ONE) 67
4 Drown in Ichor (ONE) 91
3 Drag to the Bottom (DMU) 91
2 Island (BRO) 270
2 Underground River (BRO) 267
4 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
1 March of Wretched Sorrow (NEO) 111
4 Distorted Curiosity (ONE) 46
2 Mirrex (ONE) 254
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
2 Darkslick Shores (ONE) 250
3 Swamp (DMU) 268

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I played against the Azorius "White Sun Twilight is my only win con" deck twice in a row with my Esper Superfriends deck, and it's incredibly satisfying to win by ticking Vraska up while holding 2-3 board wipes.

Also Esper Superfriends? Pretty fun deck. Less so against monored since there's a LOT of hasty dudes and a LOT of burn, but still a fun deck. I hope they never print a "Destroy all Planeswalkers" wipe.

Bring back The Elderspell

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am assuming they need more telemetry to figure out how best to keep sub-50 players like myself in the ecosystem to keep feeding lol

Both this set and last set I keep grinding with standard and explorer decks that I play because I like the concept and think they're fun even though I have atrocious win rates with them (currently 21% and 36% lol)

I have completely planted to the floor of platinum... seems like a distant memory that time I was in Mythic numbers in constructed

What is sub-50? Like below 50 percent winrate? I won all those matches last night it asked me about, and gave em smileys. Maybe weren't fun games for opponent in some of those matches with them mana flooded/dry or whatever, but since I was playing fast-win decks to complete my quests quickly to warm up and currency for draft, didn't use very much of their time.

I think I reached platinum once but I usually end up gold or bronze for my limited/standard monthly. I should just stop playing my badbrews on ranked since it's easy to set rank back with a string of losses with a failing deck idea. Edit: Oh... Nvm In platinum 4 right now.

So far enjoying my red/white draft deck, 2 wins, second game I mulligans to 6 and kept mana and both my Bladehold War-Whips, but I have 8 2-drops so I was tempted to mull again but it worked out! They got a barbed fist out first but with both of my War-Whips on board along with a Volshok Splitter too, I had the scarier army. I also think opponent didn't quite understand double strike because they made some really bad blocks.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 25, 2023

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

VictualSquid posted:

Assuming you are playing Bo1:
This probably the strongest control deck right now especially against the soldiers meta, even has a guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGzxtGLx4VI

I am also enjoying playing this poison/proliferate control, which fairly fast and cheap for a control deck:

Deck
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
4 Prologue to Phyresis (ONE) 65
2 Experimental Augury (ONE) 49
4 Anoint with Affliction (ONE) 81
4 Vraska's Fall (ONE) 116
4 Reject Imperfection (ONE) 67
4 Drown in Ichor (ONE) 91
3 Drag to the Bottom (DMU) 91
2 Island (BRO) 270
2 Underground River (BRO) 267
4 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
1 March of Wretched Sorrow (NEO) 111
4 Distorted Curiosity (ONE) 46
2 Mirrex (ONE) 254
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
2 Darkslick Shores (ONE) 250
3 Swamp (DMU) 268

Thanks, I'll see if I can make a deck like this. Spending the rare wildcards for Raffine's Tower and other lands will hurt, is it okay if I use not so optimal dual lands in their place?

If anyone else has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear those too!

Node fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 25, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Node posted:

Thanks, I'll see if I can make a deck like this. Spending the rare wildcards for Raffine's Tower and other lands will hurt, is it okay if I use not so optimal dual lands in their place?

The poison deck actually needs the typed triple lands, because they are needed for "Drag to the Bottom". So if you swap in cheaper lands use the typed duals from DMU.
All control decks have pretty expensive manabases because they run more colors then faster decks. Not really beginner friendly like that, though buying a manabase is a good long term investment. The pure UW one in the video has probably the cheapest manabase you can find in a normal control deck.

You can swap the Drag to the Bottom for Malicious Malfunction. But it would be a significant downgrade.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

^ That's a good point tho

Node posted:

Not having a rareland heavy manabase will sometimes make you lose, but imo that's acceptable for the trade-off of keeping all those WCs

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 25, 2023

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The smilies after a match are just to make you feel better.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

VictualSquid posted:

All control decks have pretty expensive manabases because they run more colors then faster decks.
I ran a mono black control deck in standard a couple of expansions back with Blood On The Snow and Meathook Massacre. It was pretty good.

But you are right that mono color control decks aren't common.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a34f396af31f4babbb6fbffc19981e2d

Pack 1 was "pick all the red cards" after opening the mr dragon. Honestly 6 mana for a 4/4 flier with random upside was borderline with the lattice-blade mantis but i guess try the rare lol. I picked equipment thinking it would synergize but then remembered the equipment stays on the battlefield lol.

Not sure about the cuts here. I guess probably two of the tricks but they do synergize with the strikers and with the dragon's ability...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd cut the two Compleat Devotion. Those kinds of cards, for me, are just ones my opponents always have at the perfect moment but if I draft will rot in my hand or barely matter. Or maybe cut 1 devotion, 1 sinew dancer? Sinew feels less like a 1 drop and more like a later game push-through trick. I'm also a bad player so I'm only answering because being told you're wrong is a way to learn.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So like I said before I've been cobbling together decks for the artisan events without the key color. This time it's Fair Basilica with no white and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Here's the list.

Deck
1 Aether Channeler (DMU) 42
1 Gala Greeters (SNC) 148
1 Boseiju Pathlighter (Y22) 26
1 Topiary Stomper (SNC) 160
1 Foundry Groundbreaker (Y23) 13
1 Titan of Industry (SNC) 159
4 Swamp (ONE) 274
6 Forest (ONE) 276
1 Thousand-Faced Shadow (NEO) 86
1 Riddlemaster Sphinx (M20) 317
1 Sludge Monster (MID) 76
1 A-The Meathook Massacre (MID) 112
5 Island (ONE) 273
1 The Hourglass Coven (HBG) 45
1 Graven Archfiend (Y22) 7
1 Citystalker Connoisseur (Y22) 27
1 Kami of Mourning (Y22) 14
1 Follow the Tracks (HBG) 67
1 The Weatherseed Treaty (DMU) 188
1 Essence Scatter (DMU) 49
1 Negate (STA) 18
1 Scatter Ray (BRO) 61
1 Cast Down (HBG) 148
1 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
1 Ilysian Caryatid (THB) 174
1 Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170
1 Orochi Merge-Keeper (NEO) 203
1 Slip Out the Back (SNC) 62
1 Gilded Pinions (SNC) 238
1 Skullport Merchant (AFR) 120
1 Prosperous Innkeeper (AFR) 200
1 Jewel Thief (SNC) 151
1 Key to the Archive (Y22) 59
1 The Mightstone and Weakstone (BRO) 238
1 Riveteers Overlook (SNC) 255
1 Obscura Storefront (SNC) 252
1 Maestros Theater (SNC) 251
1 Pilgrim's Eye (HBG) 263
1 Dreamroot Cascade (VOW) 262
1 Yavimaya Coast (DMU) 261
1 Old Rutstein (VOW) 244
1 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
1 Llanowar Wastes (BRO) 264
1 Ertai Resurrected (DMU) 199
1 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
1 Toluz, Clever Conductor (SNC) 228
1 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
1 Fallaji Archaeologist (BRO) 48

So the idea is basically control the board and ramp into big and powerful enters the battlefield effects. Replace cards with better ones if you have them, for example you can replace the Capenna lands with good duals if you have them. The Capenna lands' effects don't trigger twice because you can only sacrifice them once, I just put them in there for fixing. Here's a sneak peak of what sort of shenanigans you can get up to.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Node posted:

If you don't want to burn a rare on triomes then the biomes will suffice, and you could always add 1 copy of the other basic lands and add some fetchlands to get them if you're chasing a full domain. That said the triomes are rotating out in September but that's far off enough that it's worth popping some rares to snatch up imo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Horace Kinch posted:

I play a deck with 60 lands, just to confuse them.

How often do people just rage concede seeing you hit every land drop with islands?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a34f396af31f4babbb6fbffc19981e2d

Pack 1 was "pick all the red cards" after opening the mr dragon. Honestly 6 mana for a 4/4 flier with random upside was borderline with the lattice-blade mantis but i guess try the rare lol. I picked equipment thinking it would synergize but then remembered the equipment stays on the battlefield lol.

Not sure about the cuts here. I guess probably two of the tricks but they do synergize with the strikers and with the dragon's ability...

I would have taken Hexgold Hoverwings over either of those p1p1. Cut dancer, dragon and mountain and put the second raptor in; you have discovered the secret WR toxic deck (you can cut Bardiche instead if you really want to play the dragon)

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Lesson learned. Don’t try to splash Kaya in a WR aggro deck.

I still went 6-3, but Kaya never saw the battlefield despite showing up in my hand 4 games.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Was only in bronze so not too impressive but jesus christ this felt like a constructed deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have 1.5 times as many uncommon wildcards as common ones (collected over a year or so), and I don't think I redeemed that many more commons. Do packs have less of them? I guess it would make sense, since you get so much more regular commons than uncommons.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You get an uncommon wildcard for every six opened packs, in addition to the wildcards you actually open. When you count those, you get like 10% more uncommon wildcards than common ones.

You also get even more uncommon wildcards if you open vaults, plus I think they give away uncommon wildcards as filler mastery pass rewards more than they give away common ones.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I have 1.5 times as many uncommon wildcards as common ones (collected over a year or so), and I don't think I redeemed that many more commons. Do packs have less of them? I guess it would make sense, since you get so much more regular commons than uncommons.

IIRC packs themselves contain exactly as many commons as they do uncommons, but uncommons you get the "one every six packs" bonus and commons you don't.

E: Beaten

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

How often do people just rage concede seeing you hit every land drop with islands?

In my personal experience I'd say 1 in 8 concede after the second island hits, 1 in 4 when Ruin Crab was in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there no precise date for when the mastery pass ends?

If I’m only starting now, will I still be able to complete it without playing every day? I’ll probably get at least the 15 weekly wins, and on average a few daily ones, plus the quests ofc.

And am I remembering wrong, or did the paid mastery not used to give more gems?