Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Isn't CS:GO free-to-play and has no real progression to it?

Tarkov is paid (albeit very cheap some places) and loads of content is locked behind progression that will take hours/days even with cheats.

For RMT cheaters, the faster you detect and ban them the greater you add to their overheads of having to repurchase the game.

For player cheaters, they do not want to go back to lvl 1 once every few weeks and lose access to the flea/traders/hideout upgades etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it obviously isn't some binary hackers y/n issue, the issue is how pervasive they are, how impactful to non-cheaters they are, and, significantly, the perception of how bullshit the game is because of it. Plenty of games manage to minimize all three of those.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Instead of wasting a year or two (or four, STREETS) rolling their own anticheat and praying BSG does it competently (they wont) or spending the exorbitant amount of money required to license a reputable (lol) pre-rolled third party anticheat software package, BSG should simply implement an after raid replay system. That would be more useful IMO.

Hacking can't be stopped. I'd rather be able to review what happened and know I died by a cheater than forever wonder if I could have played a situation differently not knowing all the facts.

poe meater posted:

I would be more worried about their inability to fix major bugs quickly than cheating tbh.

It's this. It's always been this. BSG can't get out of their own way.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Plenty of games manage to minimize all three of those.

I disagree with this statement. The higher in skill ranks you go in most games, the more pervasive hacking gets. The more careful it becomes as well. Just my opinion.

tjones fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 25, 2023

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

poe meater posted:

I would be more worried about their inability to fix major bugs quickly than cheating tbh.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tjones posted:

Hacking can't be stopped.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Literally unplayable.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
From the Games Reddit, one of the top replies:

quote:

There's a post on that subreddit going in great detail how Nikita, the person leading the company developing the game, admits in a 2017 public event in Russia that cheaters are rather nice for online games, especially if there are premium features to buy that could make the players feel like they can get a chance.

In case of Escape from Tarkov, the only advantage you can buy is to get the higher edition of the game, which gets you an easier start each wipe, including a bigger secure container to take more loot out of your raid even if you die, among other things.

As a bonus, when you ban the cheaters, they will likely come back to run their real money transfer businesses, essentially giving more money to the developer by buying accounts.
This game is just as disgusting as any other online game indulging in disrespectful way of amount money. It's just that it's a different way of doing it, i.e. not microtransactions, battle passes, etc. Although we already know they are releasing a game mode that was meant to be integrated, but as a separate game, as well as a few locations purely as DLCs; they even failed to deliver the former in the timeframe they promised, as they always do.

Battestate Games is just in the money business in a rather dirty way. I'm sure they'd be selling something highly addictive to elderly under the guise of some wonder medicine if they could get away with it just as easily.

This is fine.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek
yall seen this?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Scroll up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah, that’s what all the posts have been about today. Solid work but I wish he’d gone into more depth of the actual data gathering rather than spend half of it on an interview.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

ZChum chimed in on the topic

https://twitter.com/ZChumYT/status/1629550669899112449

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

LTT's WAN Show talked about it, oops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FqH1rqQrQg&t=4557s

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yeah, that's where I first heard about it.

Thanks Luke for leaking the video.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

tjones posted:

Instead of wasting a year or two (or four, STREETS) rolling their own anticheat and praying BSG does it competently (they wont) or spending the exorbitant amount of money required to license a reputable (lol) pre-rolled third party anticheat software package, BSG should simply implement an after raid replay system. That would be more useful IMO.

Hacking can't be stopped. I'd rather be able to review what happened and know I died by a cheater than forever wonder if I could have played a situation differently not knowing all the facts.

It's this. It's always been this. BSG can't get out of their own way.

I disagree with this statement. The higher in skill ranks you go in most games, the more pervasive hacking gets. The more careful it becomes as well. Just my opinion.

ironically OW was in a similar situation with huge numbers of cheaters (they were banning a significant fraction of their top 500 every time they'd do ban waves) and were doing comparatively little about cheaters relative to other popular FPS. Then they added replays, which people thought would fix the cheating situation... and it had very little impact, they're still banning significant amounts of their top 500s each ban wave. They certainly should add replays for a bunch of reasons, but it definitely isn't itself a fix, it takes a lot more than that. Really they just need to do everything they possibly can and while it won't fix it, they can make it less bad.

I suspect their current focus on RMT relates to them trying to diminish one of the incentives to cheat (eg to farm for RMT), albeit without actually impacting the demand for RMT you run the risk of just making RMT more profitable, which in turn would actually increase the incentive for people farming currency to cheat. That said, I'd be very surprised if people farming to RMT are anywhere even near the majority of people using cheats. Hell I'd be surprised if they're more than 5%. They might well be some of the most high-impact cheaters though.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

tjones posted:

I'd rather be able to review what happened and know I died by a cheater than forever wonder if I could have played a situation differently not knowing all the facts.

I don't need a replay system to confirm that the bulletproof guy floating in air that shot me 50 times simultaneously in the face was a cheater. Even if you didn't see it coming and you confirm it was a cheater what good does that do you? Well I sure did get screwed there, time to throw more gear on and wait 10min in a queue!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Uptime was DMZ’s biggest attraction for me. The price wasn’t bad either. I’d have dove in a lot harder if the gunplay wasn’t paintball.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Seen what?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What are we talking about? Yea, not sure, but that last update with Streets sure is cool!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It cracks me up that the video is being referred to us "the/that video" now and Nikita is addressing it with a post on Reddit that is essentially the same post they made years ago.

Nikita's most recent post on the cheating issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/gvx5t4/whats_being_done_in_terms_of_rmt_and_cheaters/

Nikita's post from 3 years ago about cheating: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/11c7wi1/hackers_cheaters_and_other_related_scum_of_the/

Yes, I intentionally swapped the 2 videos. They don't give a poo poo about cheaters.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

ShowTime posted:

It cracks me up that the video is being referred to us "the/that video" now and Nikita is addressing it with a post on Reddit that is essentially the same post they made years ago.

Nikita's most recent post on the cheating issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/gvx5t4/whats_being_done_in_terms_of_rmt_and_cheaters/

Nikita's post from 3 years ago about cheating: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/11c7wi1/hackers_cheaters_and_other_related_scum_of_the/

Yes, I intentionally swapped the 2 videos. They don't give a poo poo about cheaters.

Did you put the wrong link in or something? The first link is a 2-year-old post, I wouldn't exactly count that as recent

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Umbreon posted:

Did you put the wrong link in or something? The first link is a 2-year-old post, I wouldn't exactly count that as recent

that’s the joke, Nikita has the same boilerplate response for years on the topic of cheating

also they claim that they’re banning thousands of cheaters a day, which seems unlikely given that would mean 100,000 dollars worth of accounts daily

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Buff Hardback posted:

that’s the joke, Nikita has the same boilerplate response for years on the topic of cheating

also they claim that they’re banning thousands of cheaters a day, which seems unlikely given that would mean 100,000 dollars worth of accounts daily

That’s the subtextual mask off to his response imo - the only continuous income stream is banning hackers so they have to rebuy. Obviously the number and frequency is a lie but that’s the active revenue source. Nothing will happen to cheaters.

Same Baghdad Bob vibes as the THIS IS FINE streamer response from people whose lifestyle depends on this game continuing on.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
A friend of mine got into tarkov this wipe so I joined him. I'm level 12 and he's 18 and I can say ive never been ground to dust like I have this wipe.

Dying is part of the game, but it feels like every second game you get shot by someone that just knows where you are. We died on shoreline while we were in bushes near the tanker bridge, the guy ran directly towards me, shot me, then spun 180 and shot my mate through a bush.

It's fair that sometimes you get unlucky, but it happens so consistently it can't be a coincidence and I don't remember previous wipes being this bad.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
for better or for worse a dude just made a video that is probably the most high profile advertisement for cheats Tarkov has ever gotten and it's going to be really loving bad for a while, both due to more people trying them and more legit people just saying fuckit and not logging in

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I guess the answer is everyone should switch to SP Tarkov and install a bunch of mods to make the game easier so you can ensure you're the only cheater!

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I guess the answer is everyone should switch to SP Tarkov and install a bunch of mods to make the game easier so you can ensure you're the only cheater!

now i have a video to link to people when they ask why i switched to sptarkov years ago...i can also let them know to not sweat the end of live tarkov, you can make it as hard as you want, even recreate the finding raid times and edit them to 10+ minutes only to have an ai scav laser your eyes the minute you spawn in like a cheater on live!

...this video being news or some big reveal about tarkov is hilarious. everyone's known this was the case whether they wanted to admit it or not

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’m definitely installing SPT but I wish it wasn’t exclusively SP. I just wanna do hoodrat scavs with my friends.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wish Ground Branch was even approaching a finished game after five years in early access.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Herstory Begins Now posted:

for better or for worse a dude just made a video that is probably the most high profile advertisement for cheats Tarkov has ever gotten and it's going to be really loving bad for a while, both due to more people trying them and more legit people just saying fuckit and not logging in

it's fairly late in the wipe and has driven some significant percentage of legit players still serious enough to be playing to throw up their hands and go gently caress this i'm out, i think that's a way bigger factor than 'brand new cheaters' personally

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Yeah that video basically justified my decision to quit last wipe after the infinite bullshit death so likely not touching the game again or if so i'll try the SP mod.

Anyway I have no doubt some dev is going to make a better game with the same concept in the future, success of Tarkov and DMZ mode of COD has basically guaranteed that.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Both my friend and I quit this wipe a few weeks ago after we experienced an almost identical death a few days apart. Each of us found a gpu in a situation that is safe like 95% of the time (myself on a shoreline scav run, him on an emptied out lighthouse scav run with a handful of minutes left on the raid timer) and we both were immediately hunted down and killed by someone who had an uncanny sense for exactly where we were, within a minute or two of looting the gpu.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The thing that made me quit Tarkov a couple years ago was playing right after a major match/wipe that broke all the hacks. For the brief period before the hacks got fixed, the game was completely different. There were no deaths that made me go "hmmmm" and I was doing way better. Then, as the hacks came online, all of the bullshit deaths returned. It was clear they were a major problem.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i know it's not a solution for most people, but i've found playing on off hours, like early morning, to be way more tolerable. there's fewer people queuing overall, so it makes pvp tasks definitely less doable, but i'm pretty sure basically no one hacks during weird times because it's the same level of risk for their account but there's no one to hunt. just been my impression lately.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

NJersey posted:

now i have a video to link to people when they ask why i switched to sptarkov years ago...i can also let them know to not sweat the end of live tarkov, you can make it as hard as you want, even recreate the finding raid times and edit them to 10+ minutes only to have an ai scav laser your eyes the minute you spawn in like a cheater on live!

...this video being news or some big reveal about tarkov is hilarious. everyone's known this was the case whether they wanted to admit it or not

How exactly does SP tarkov work? Is it just like doing offline mode in the live game but your progress saves and there are PMC bots? Do the PMC bots actually put up a fight or are they just slightly tuned raiders/rogues?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

sdr782 posted:

How exactly does SP tarkov work? Is it just like doing offline mode in the live game but your progress saves and there are PMC bots? Do the PMC bots actually put up a fight or are they just slightly tuned raiders/rogues?

You basically run a small modded server that updates every so often. And by server, I mean like an instance or something that doesn't go through any internet. PMCs I think are largely a mixed bag vanilla? But then you get something like Valens' Progression to even the playing field until like... 28-36. Then of course you have your AI adjusters and other things.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

sdr782 posted:

Yea like widespread said, it’s just like normal tarkov only offline. PMCs spawn and poo poo just like the regular game. Then just add and adjust mods to your liking and play like a live account.

This mod and the features it has is a must and pretty much all ya need. Click the features tab to see all the poo poo you can change.

https://hub.sp-tarkov.com/files/file/379-kmc-server-value-modifier/#tab_e13742dc7ed7099258223b0f82cdb7bdbeb646e8

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There’s mods that give you a Madden level of AI tweaks and dials to turn to turn it into a sort of simulacrum Tarkov or as far as Neo vs Agent Smiths if you want. Diving into the scene is half the battle.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

That's sick. I had no idea single player tarkov had those features. Last time I looked at it (years ago now) it was basically spawn into empty server with default scavs and that's it so I didn't bother. If you can add PMCs and poo poo I'm going to have to check it out.

I wish BSG would make an official single player mode.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Subreddit is getting Joker-fied lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
So these AI PMCs, do they actually act somewhat like players? Will they rush for hotspots like Dorms/resort & in combat to they do tactics like flanking or flushing out with grenades? Also, is it possible to both have SP tarkov and normal tarkov installed at once without getting banned from normal tark?