Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Jimbot posted:

Is it feasible, in vanilla campaign, to just stick a bunch of AC-whatevers on a mech? I dunno, I have an AC-20 on one and it being able to alpha strike light mechs and sheer off armor of everything else just makes me laugh - it's super satisfying. Another question: what function do LRM boats serve as? I've tried building out a centurion as one (standard parts, no +'s) and I've been pretty disappointed in it. Am I missing something? Yeah it's cool they can stay behind cover and all that but regular and stability damage seems to be negligible and that mech would be better served with some other weapons on it.

I'm wrapping my head around everything slowly but surely and further specializing mechs for alpha damage for precision strikes and ones that are missile boats that serve to knock enemies down. Then I the AC monstrosities as a wild card: sometimes they annihilate the enemy and sometimes they annihilate the hill behind the enemy!

Autocannon boats are extremely viable, especially as you get higher end ACs. If you have the DLC they're even optimal.

LRM boats are extremely strong in vanilla but they require upgraded LRMs and only work on certain chassis. That Centurion would be better served as an SRM shotgun - once you get an Archer or Stalker, that's when you can start leaning into LRM spam imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jimbot posted:

Is it feasible, in vanilla campaign, to just stick a bunch of AC-whatevers on a mech? I dunno, I have an AC-20 on one and it being able to alpha strike light mechs and sheer off armor of everything else just makes me laugh - it's super satisfying. Another question: what function do LRM boats serve as? I've tried building out a centurion as one (standard parts, no +'s) and I've been pretty disappointed in it. Am I missing something? Yeah it's cool they can stay behind cover and all that but regular and stability damage seems to be negligible and that mech would be better served with some other weapons on it.

I'm wrapping my head around everything slowly but surely and further specializing mechs for alpha damage for precision strikes and ones that are missile boats that serve to knock enemies down. Then I the AC monstrosities as a wild card: sometimes they annihilate the enemy and sometimes they annihilate the hill behind the enemy!

LRM boats are great with just hosing damage out onto enemy mechs, especially once you get some + and ++ versions. They're also great for getting a couple of turns of shots in while you're advancing to the fight.

My usual lance composition is two utility tanks/brawlers, one LRM boat, and then a spotting/evasion/rear end in a top hat mech with a pilot that gets sensor lock and the piloting evasion perks. Early game that's usually a firestarter, mid-game a grasshopper, late game a victor or maybe I just stick with the grasshopper. That guy is there to basically advance ahead of the main group while they're trundling forward, stay out of LOS as much as possible and sensor lock up targets that the LRM boat then slaps around. If I'm lucky I'll kill one mech outright before the real fight, but barring that someone is so shot up that they're a one hit KO for one of my brawlers. Once the battle is engaged the LRM boat hangs back and helps focus down poo poo, and the scout bounces around like an rear end in a top hat going for rear armor shots.

They also do pretty high stab damage so if you arrange things right they can add the last little bit to knock an enemy mech on its rear end ,leading to called shots all around.

Edit: my usual LRM boats are either an Archer or a Stalker. Early game they don't really shine that much, to be honest, although you can do it with a cent.

edit 2: an LRM 60 stalker is a loving mean goddamned thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
LRMs get better in an exponential fashion, where the more of them you have the rapidly better they become.

An LRM 5 is a waste of a spot you could put two medium lasers.

A lance of Longbows is gamebreaking.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GD_American posted:

LRMs get better in an exponential fashion, where the more of them you have the rapidly better they become.

An LRM 5 is a waste of a spot you could put two medium lasers.

A lance of Longbows is gamebreaking.

Your av is making me irrationally angry

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Speaking of stripping armour, do specific weapons excel at that in MW5? Or is the only difference between rockets, lasers, and bullets what kind of ammo they use?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ensign Expendable posted:

Speaking of stripping armour, do specific weapons excel at that in MW5? Or is the only difference between rockets, lasers, and bullets what kind of ammo they use?

Damage is damage. The difference is heat generation range and ammo or lackthereof.

For HBS Battletech I honestly typically do not recommend LRMs until the heavy and assault class of mechs. They’re poo poo unless you have 60 of them but have a good reputation because of launch when they were much stronger pre-changes to stability damage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Oh and on the subject of Mechwarrior 5: You should pay close attention to how you have the weapon groups set up for mechs piloted by AI in your lance. They will prioritize behavior based on the ordering of weapon groups. If you want a mech to attack from long range, put their longest range weapons in weapon group 1. If they have a bunch of LRMs and a couple medium lasers and you put the medium lasers in weapon group 1, guess what, they're gonna close to medium laser range.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Psycho Landlord posted:

Your av is making me irrationally angry

lol I was last year's league loser and I post in NFL threads with this year's loser, I was gonna change it but kinda find the confusion hilarious

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh and on the subject of Mechwarrior 5: You should pay close attention to how you have the weapon groups set up for mechs piloted by AI in your lance. They will prioritize behavior based on the ordering of weapon groups. If you want a mech to attack from long range, put their longest range weapons in weapon group 1. If they have a bunch of LRMs and a couple medium lasers and you put the medium lasers in weapon group 1, guess what, they're gonna close to medium laser range.

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that. I usually bind group 1 to the smallest weapon.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
In RogueTech, LRMs can be exceedingly disgusting in large numbers. You "acquire" (strip from the smoking wreckage of your enemies) Clan LRM 15s or 20s, as they take up less space/weight. Do likewise with Clan Artemis 4 targeting systems, for the same reasons. Loot or buy (when you can find it for sale) Clan LRM ArtIV ammo.

(It's gotta be Clan ammo for Clan launchers, Inner Sphere steel-cased Wolf perfectly serviceable missiles won't fit Clan gear - it's Roger Tech.)

Bad news: Art IV ammo *lowers* your indirect fire accuracy. Good news: your direct-fire accuracy increases dramatically. :getin: My LRM80 Longbow sandpapers some, but (especially with my Clustering-tagged pilots) will mostly hammer the bigger areas available - did you have an XL engine? Ain't that a shame... against an unbraced/out-of-cover enemy, I'm doing 5 points or damage per missile. Plus stability.

And then it's the turn of the LRM75 Nova Cat. :unsmigghh: Eventually, I work my way down to the 3-Gauss Annihilator, if needed.

They're especially entertaining against high-evasion VTOLs and LAMs - I'm overloading the AMS on most VTOLs unless they stack up for extra coverage, and even stealthed birbs get mauled, if not blapped outright.

I've had bad experiences with my LAMs when encountering Streak LRM turrets, but the Streak launchers need Streak ammo, and they're so bulky and heavy...

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

For the MW5 talk, if you use YAML, there's two big things to note.

The first is that the bay system in MW5 is yet another attempt to fix BattleTech's dubious weapon balance, where weapons are good if they're light enough to be boated or strong enough that you don't have to, and a lot of them fall short of that. It also fixes the attributes of some chassis, which unfortunately can make some of them completely useless because they have too loving much engine. If you install YAML, you can make actually good builds, doubly so because YAML introduces a Quirk system not unlike what MWO uses. This will allow you to break the game over your knee with very well optimized machines. If this is a pro or con is up to you to decide.

The other big thing to note is that there's sliders for various things, including "how tough are tanks and turrets," and for some reason, the default on this one is 300%. The problem is that tanks and turrets and VTOL spawn rates are balanced on the assumption that they're mostly meaningless chaff to distract and harass, with aforementioned exceptions like Demolishers and Igors. YAML makes them actual threats, but they still come in giant numbers. This is exacerbated if you use the Coyote Mission Pack, which can sometimes spawn ambushes of over eighty choppers. (Do not use Coyote Mission Pack, the new missions are either Monty Haul poo poo or meatgrinders, and in neither case are they fun.)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

On the other hand, do use Coyote's Mission Pack if the giant fuckin fights from the Kestrel Lancers stuff was cool in your opinion, or you want to fight a leopard, as in the dropship

You can ignore the other poo poo it doesn't remove existing missions, and there are some hits in there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MechaCrash posted:

The other big thing to note is that there's sliders for various things, including "how tough are tanks and turrets," and for some reason, the default on this one is 300%. The problem is that tanks and turrets and VTOL spawn rates are balanced on the assumption that they're mostly meaningless chaff to distract and harass, with aforementioned exceptions like Demolishers and Igors. YAML makes them actual threats, but they still come in giant numbers. This is exacerbated if you use the Coyote Mission Pack, which can sometimes spawn ambushes of over eighty choppers. (Do not use Coyote Mission Pack, the new missions are either Monty Haul poo poo or meatgrinders, and in neither case are they fun.)

Turn this horseshit back down to 100%/1x default unless you want to lose missions 2 and 3 for two straight hours like I did

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

OR, you could go full masochistic and download Scary Tanks (made by the same dev who makes YAML) which just throws out vehicle HP entirely and gives them a basic armor/structure system like a Mech, and puts in a bunch of new variants for vehicles already in the game and a fair amount of brand new tanks.

It's cute when you get to actually see a Savannah Master speed around, but then an Igor armed with Gauss rifles shows up or vehicles armed with Clan weapons when in the real late-game if you have the appropriate mods.

Funnily enough I kinda find it more balanced than the straight up HP bonus that stock YAML does. Probably because most vehicles have either a weakspot in either the chassis or turret armor and stuff isn't artificially boosted and everything more or less is at its TT levels of survivability. Though like YAML, there is a Mod Option feature where you can tweak the HP/Armor values to be a lot more forgiving, especially when the aforementioned Coyote swarms show up.

I do wish they could find out a way to give them MercTechs system so vehicles could have different armor thickness on their sides/rear and critical damage effects though, which would go a long way to make things more "fair."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah they are pretty explicit about it by putting the sliders right into the main menu screen, with a strong *wink wink nudge nudge you might want to change this*. All the other options are tucked away.

It is arguably more accurate to the actual tabletop rules but it does make some missions massively harder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say LRMs start being pretty good around 30 and get disgusting around 60.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My experience with RT so far has been

1. Fire 60 LRMs at enemy
2. 60 of 60 hit by AMS

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BTA AMS is virtually useless lol, what an odd change.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

BTA AMS is virtually useless lol, what an odd change.

Oh yeah no, RT AMS is both essential and disgustingly effective, particularly the better versions of it and when they are stacked in lance mode.

It does balance out missiles some so I don't mind it too much.

That said you absolutely can overwhelm it, especially if you use bolt-on rockets as well.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 24, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have overlapping coverage in BTA you might intercept maybe 10-15 missiles, which isn't nothing, but individual ones are going to catch maybe a couple of missiles from a big salvo.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

If you have overlapping coverage in BTA you might intercept maybe 10-15 missiles, which isn't nothing, but individual ones are going to catch maybe a couple of missiles from a big salvo.

I think RT is maybe two to three times as effective as that (or even more with especially good AMS like the pirate laser AMS).

That said I think part of it is that lots of enemies in RT use the laser AMS or mk.2 advanced AMS, rather than just the basic one.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My recollection from bta is they only fired once too.

In RT you'll get some jackass Nidhogger with dual laser AMS that will fire 4 or 5 times a round screaming "NOT ON MY WATCH"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Best way to get around that is to use FOW positioning such that you are not seen by the AMS-zilla and shoot at things away from it.

Not really a solution maybe but I like that I have to put some actual effort in. Also some missiles are less susceptible to AMS, either due to being semi-unguided or having high health, which helps them stand out. And it makes ballistics and energy weapons more worthwhile.

For all the RT foibles I really like the way the game plays with it, it's much more balanced and there is a huge selection of toys to use.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 24, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I used YAML to set tank and chopper HP scaling to 0.5x and screwed up their aim. I don't have time for that noise. They work much better as beats in a rhythm game than actual threats. Kind of like MTs in the later Armored Core games or the mooks in Dynasty Warriors.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

I used YAML to set tank and chopper HP scaling to 0.5x and screwed up their aim. I don't have time for that noise. They work much better as beats in a rhythm game than actual threats. Kind of like MTs in the later Armored Core games or the mooks in Dynasty Warriors.

I did something similar. HP at basically 1x but made them a bit nearsighted. The key is that the major threats - demolishers, SRM/LRM carriers, mainticores - stay pretty dangerous and you ignore them at your own peril. Same with helicopters, if they get close and behind you that hurts. But if you stay on top of them they're manageable, even in a big fight, and yo don't have some rear end in a top hat AC5 plinking you from the other side of the map.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Vanilla health with better aim is the way to do it imo

A ppc isn't suddenly a shotgun just because you put it on a tank

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Vanilla health with better aim is the way to do it imo

A ppc isn't suddenly a shotgun just because you put it on a tank

No, but even vanilla was annoying as gently caress about vehicle spam.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Why is Darius the butt of all the jokes by modders when Sumire is the far, far more incompetent at her job?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Probably because of the tactical intel and heads-ups that come too late

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GD_American posted:

Why is Darius the butt of all the jokes by modders when Sumire is the far, far more incompetent at her job?

Sumire is also joked about constantly. Darius gets more of it because he has more dialog and is more prominent, since he's the one who does all the briefings, contract negotiations, and intel work, so half of Sumire's fuckups could be blamed on him too.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RBA Starblade posted:

Probably because of the tactical intel and heads-ups that come too late

*40 LRMs slam into my rear armor*
Darius: "We've detected enemy reinforcements!"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also:
"We detected enemy reinforcements"
"... No, we won't tell you where, why would we?"

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

GD_American posted:

This was turn 0 (BTA though) :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I have started a mission literally mixed up with an enemy heavy lance that I initially mistook for allies. He deigned to warn me 2 turns into the frantic battle that there might be enemies somewhere around here somewhere.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 25, 2023

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

There's a reason why in BTA when you happen to get Darius as an actual mechwarrior he's 1 in every stat. :v:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm now at a couple of heavies and gently caress do I love this game. being able to go full mech engineer and making up builds is a ton of fun

I've got a Marauder variant with a command console. add in the natural +1 init and master tactician he's moving at light mech initiative essentially. 7 energy hardpoints means 3xPPC and 4xML. I might do 5xLL tho, but having a super high init sniper means some mechs never really get to have a meaningful activation

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm not defending Darius at all but my god if they made a Fire Sumire mod

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yang and Murad are the only characters, I always forget the other two are even there.

I don't even know what they do honestly other than I think sumire flies the leopard.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sumire is good at her job but she gets overruled by incompetents. (TheCommander/Darius). For actually piloting she’s above average. She even tells you when the plan is bad and will just scoop you up from wherever when the opfor are dead. No real complaints. Meanwhile, Darius is like “3 Kia and all the mechs need repairs, a milk run!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sumire is a bus driver. She has a schedule to keep and it's not like DropShips can circle overhead or glide. If her timetable says she lands at 1:37 PM she's landing at 1:37 PM even if she's gotta crush a cyclist Spider or two to do it.

Darius is an upper middle manager.