Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jack Trades posted:

Could not for the life of me figure out how to make it do it so I googled it and turns out that it's not in fact a feature that exists, despite the game itself clearly stating it.
Consider reporting it as a bug: https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Re-downloaded to double check that the feature hasn't been implemented since I played last, and no, it was in fact not.

Might as well report the bug.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Welp, the game just crashes on me constantly now on PS5. Guess I'm waiting for a patch.

E: Realized that approaching the scrap dealer after clearing a derelict freighter causes the game to crash.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 25, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy christ, gently caress sentinels, and gently caress New Sesto.

Oh, you accidentally got into your ship instead of doing something else? Well, gently caress you, then!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, you accidentally got into your ship instead of doing something else? Well, gently caress you, then!

New Sesto is the wooorst. Is it just me or does it have even more sentinels than normal for an Extreme Sentinel Planet?

One of the milestones gives a cloaking device and sentinels can't go underwater and both of those things help, but my base on this planet is going to be bare loving minimum, with materials mined from elsewhere.

I usually try to at least have a functioning portal out of courtesy, but fuuuuuuuck this planet I'm just going to give the base a name like "don't come here it's empty."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain France posted:

New Sesto is the wooorst. Is it just me or does it have even more sentinels than normal for an Extreme Sentinel Planet?

One of the milestones gives a cloaking device and sentinels can't go underwater and both of those things help, but my base on this planet is going to be bare loving minimum, with materials mined from elsewhere.

I usually try to at least have a functioning portal out of courtesy, but fuuuuuuuck this planet I'm just going to give the base a name like "don't come here it's empty."

Yeah, I was hiding, came up after they stopped looking for me, and got all flustered and mistakenly got into my starship (and then stupidly took off) while two of them were right next to me.

Pro-tip for any new players: DON'T DO THIS.

In my normal, 250+ hour save, I don't care. I have a tricked out starship that treats sentinels like nothing more than mosquitoes. But the dumb rear end ship that you get in the expedition? Holy poo poo. No. It's awful for space combat. I realize that that wasn't the point, so it's on me for stupidly getting myself tangled up in that, but avoid, avoid, avoid.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shoot down the first interceptor(s), immediately land while reinforcements are on their way, dig a long winding tunnel and hide til they're gone.

"Digging a hole" is my solution to most sentinel problems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stare-Out posted:

Man, the Speeder is nimble.

E: Sometimes this game is impressive in new ways

https://i.imgur.com/ln7BzEO.mp4

Wtf this is rad as hell

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

You know how each planet in this expedition has the milestone to locate a specific spot the game wants you to build a base at, but in reality once you find the spot you can build anywhere on the planet? Well good thing, because on New Sesto my "spot" was midway down the almost sheer cliff-face of a sunken crater filled with water.

That was a fun location to pinpoint while trailing apparently every single sentinel that has ever existed.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MrGreenShirt posted:

You know how each planet in this expedition has the milestone to locate a specific spot the game wants you to build a base at, but in reality once you find the spot you can build anywhere on the planet? Well good thing, because on New Sesto my "spot" was midway down the almost sheer cliff-face of a sunken crater filled with water.

That was a fun location to pinpoint while trailing apparently every single sentinel that has ever existed.

Speaking of, on planet 2 (I don't remember the name,) was everyone else's designated spot an infested building? I'm starting to suspect these Utopia people might not be entirely on the level.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain France posted:

Speaking of, on planet 2 (I don't remember the name,) was everyone else's designated spot an infested building? I'm starting to suspect these Utopia people might not be entirely on the level.

Nah, mine was right next to a volcano. Unfortunately I had to go elsewhere for materials

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CaptainSkinny posted:

There's definitely an issue with NPC placement in his latest update.

E: Day 5 of Twitch drops will have the worm companion as a reward. I never did that expedition, so now is my chance.

this has been a problem for longer than just this update, i was playing a lot of nms a couple months ago and had this happen a lot.

i'm prolly done with nms 'till they release a new major update though, i love it and all but by the time i had a fully kitted-out s-class freighter and fighter, i kinda ran out of things to do. exploration for its own sake is fun for a long while but eventually i found my perfect solar system and set up shop there and that was pretty much the end. i hope they add multiple biomes and some better production automation stuff for your bases, the current way to set up extractors and connect them and everything feels clunky as hell. oh and also they need to add snapping for interior parts and furniture, trying to line poo poo up without it drives me crazy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Captain France posted:

In any abandoned system (not to be conflated with uninhabited ones), all buildings that would normally have NPCs are the abandoned/infested variant, if one exists (so trade depots and planetary archives are normal, but pretty much everything else is run down and covered in horror eggs). It's actually pretty cool, if creepy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This fuckin' expedition, I swear.

My wife already finished it (she duped the gently caress out of everything), so her expedition save and my main save are going to meet up somewhere and I'm going to buy the special ship that way. Idgaf enough to finish it myself. It's just way too frustrating.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't think it was all that bad. Inconvenient and yeah, the infested planet did suck but otherwise pretty straightforward. Exobiology was way worse.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I didn't think it was all that bad. Inconvenient and yeah, the infested planet did suck but otherwise pretty straightforward. Exobiology was way worse.

Yeah I'm nearly finished and I'm not having a problem with it. The usual NMS tricks all apply.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Huh, the update has caused one of my bases to just... disappear. (Not that I use bases much since the freighter overhaul, so I can wait for the patch fix / write it off if I have to.)

A fun expedition, although I too just duped the gently caress out of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like how all the top search results and wikis don't ever actually give you a list of what the freaking account rewards are for doing this expedition, to see if I even wanna bother. Far as I can tell the notable reward is this new ship but I have enough ships and don't like just using ugly hand out ships anyway. If it's not purple and green to match my fleet then it's trash.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I like how all the top search results and wikis don't ever actually give you a list of what the freaking account rewards are for doing this expedition, to see if I even wanna bother. Far as I can tell the notable reward is this new ship but I have enough ships and don't like just using ugly hand out ships anyway. If it's not purple and green to match my fleet then it's trash.

You can go to the anomaly to see greyed out stuff marked Expedition 9.

Phase 1: 3 posters
Phase 2: Holographic friend base decoration
Phase 3: star warsey Fearsome Visor customization
Phase 4: Robo-Warden Egg(just a floating robot eye thing)
Phase 5: "Utopia Dignitary" title, expedition decal and expedition banner
Final Phase: star warsey speeder ship

Giant Ethicist posted:

Huh, the update has caused one of my bases to just... disappear. (Not that I use bases much since the freighter overhaul, so I can wait for the patch fix / write it off if I have to.)

A fun expedition, although I too just duped the gently caress out of it.

Every recent update has knocked a few FPS off my farm base, but after this one i can't warp into it without the game completely freezing. I can still warp to the system and fly to it to walk around at 5fps.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You can resize the holographic friend to be enormous, apparently. Currently I just have him tending bar on my freighter. :haw:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

You can go to the anomaly to see greyed out stuff marked Expedition 9.

Thank you! That also explains why there's probably not as much need for that straight forward of a reward list, since folks can see it in-game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Giant Ethicist posted:

Actually disappear, or migrate underground?

All of my portal-adjacent bases got transplated like 100 feet straight down lol

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well I guess I go try to play No Man's Sky again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Getting really mad about something in the expedition and then realizing that it was in fact me who hosed up has been the story of this one so far. Although I'm really glad this "build only in your base" mechanic is not the way it normally works.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Actually disappear, or migrate underground?

All of my portal-adjacent bases got transplated like 100 feet straight down lol

Hard to say, although I'll try digging. One time and one time only I warped in and the base was there for an instant and then phased out. It is near a portal, though, although my other two portal bases are fine. :iiam:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Despite seeing markers for bases, whenever I go to one there's just nothing there. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Like, the marker is floating there but no construction of any kind as far as I can tell.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Despite seeing markers for bases, whenever I go to one there's just nothing there. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Like, the marker is floating there but no construction of any kind as far as I can tell.

Your bases or someone else's? Are you playing online? Platform, game mode?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

Well I guess I go try to play No Man's Sky again

Having it on Switch has been such an awakening for me

Fractal seems to have made performance even better on it too

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Your bases or someone else's? Are you playing online? Platform, game mode?

Online, PC (Steam), and the Expedition.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I made that post above BEFORE stranding myself with empty thrusters a 50 minute walk away from my base. Felt very much like the old days where you couldn't just call your ship you couldn't manipulate the terrain and it was possible to end up in situations like this fairly easily. Luckily it's not the old days and I had built a pilgrim and it covered the distance in about 5 minutes.

Well the good news is I had built a pilgrim there and it covered that in about 5 minutes.

Anyone reading this post who's new if you ever end up in this situation, and you don'/t have an exocraft, do your best to find any sort of waypoint. You'll eventually find one that has something that will allow you to summon your ship even though the thrusters are empty. If the one you end up doesn't Try traveling north, a lot of planets have waypoints on longitude lines.

JerikTelorian posted:

It's the same for me. Maybe because I have PVP off though?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Expedition finished, wasn't too impressed but at least it was short. I did find a cool underwater cave system on one of the planets though.

One thing that's interesting, the Utopia Speeder costs nanites at the Anomaly, unlike the Gold Ship which is free.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

I'd wager that it's an issue with the expedition. The patch has been very crash-prone and buggy anyway, even more than usual.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One thing that's interesting, the Utopia Speeder costs nanites at the Anomaly, unlike the Gold Ship which is free.

I think that's so you can't just grab it for free on a new save every time. It should be free on the expedition save though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I think that's so you can't just grab it for free on a new save every time. It should be free on the expedition save though.

Yeah that was my assumption too. Also, I can't tell at the moment, but I think the Utopia Speeder may have some unique parts, specifically the wings.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah that was my assumption too. Also, I can't tell at the moment, but I think the Utopia Speeder may have some unique parts, specifically the wings.

Didn't Hello Games at one point make mention of the thrusters being custom?

Fffffffffffuck I wanna build my own ship.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ugh this happened to me. I took off instead of just digging down and hiding. Each wave got worse and worse too. I couldn't land or escape anywhere like the anomaly since they apparently closed that loophole. I managed to fight off several waves with the rockets and the little gun they give you. But finally my screen went dark, it gave me a quote from somewhere, and then my game crashed. I gave up then and haven't made it back to my save to try again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Switched freighters again and this time I did lose my base MOTHERFU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Switched freighters again and this time I did lose my base MOTHERFU

It's dangerous to do anything major like that shortly after an update, even if the update had nothing to do with that feature. Seems like HG needs a few patches to smooth things out (almost) completely. Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss; I can't imagine the frustration.

Anyone have a link to the current experimental patch notes?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Right here.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3768987250119369164/

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I already did it like three days ago and it was fine so I think there's always been a good chance of losing your freighter base upon switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah the freighter bug has been around for a while. If its the one I'm thinking of there is a way to prevent it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, HOWEVER, currently there is a bug where the base transfer prompt doesn’t always appear. To ensure you can safely transfer, leave a sacrificial item in the old freighter, it can be a single piece of silicon or whatever. This will cause a warning prompt to appear when you try to buy a new freighter, accepting past that prompt will cause the base transfer prompt to pop up as intended.

Maybe this has been fixed in the last couple weeks but why risk it? Especially when the game saves when you transfer to a new freighter…