Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine got a set of Steelseries Arctis Nova Pros. These retail for $350 when I looked them up.

+ They have a ton of cute little features.
+ Both wired and wireless connectivity. 2.4Ghz or Bluetooth.
+ On headset Phone controls.
+ Swap-able battery and a charging solution built into the hub. It ships with two batteries.

- Requires an app to get EQ or features out of it. The app is garbage in every way.
- The build quality of everything is 'OK' at best. Some of it is real sad.
- The hub has terrible UX and cheap build quality issues. The buttons are are cheap. One of them is touch.
- The battery charge on the hub is also built like poo poo and isn't keyed.
- The ANC feature has a knob in the middle of the ear piece that very easily contacts your ear while wearing it. This is so uncomfortable and such a baffling design flaw - I have no loving idea how they got past any real test.
- Oh, and they sound like poo poo. The top end doesn't exist at all.

This is a baffling headset. It's a very expensive consumer 'gaming' headset that does little to justify it's price. It's neat stuff is truly neat and I was hoping I'd like these so I could get a set myself, but it's flaws are numerous and glaring. For $350, I was hoping for a great consumer headset with strong features, even if the cans are mediocre. Instead, it's a mediocre consumer headset with a couple party tricks and equally mediocre cans.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm sorry I just wanna bump this, I'm really all thumbs when it comes to finding a decent pair of headphones.

I've heard good things about the JBL Tune 710BT if you have to have Bluetooth.

IEMs are also worth taking a look at for noise isolation and comfort if you haven't yet. The 7Hz Zero should be a good fit for the music you listen to, and it's only $20 to see if IEMs work with your ears.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

A friend of mine got a set of Steelseries Arctis Nova Pros. These retail for $350 when I looked them up.

+ Swap-able battery and a charging solution built into the hub. It ships with two batteries.

- Requires an app to get EQ or features out of it. The app is garbage in every way.
- The hub has terrible UX and cheap build quality issues. The buttons are are cheap. One of them is touch.
- The ANC feature has a knob in the middle of the ear piece that very easily contacts your ear while wearing it. This is so uncomfortable and such a baffling design flaw - I have no loving idea how they got past any real test.

This is a baffling headset. It's a very expensive consumer 'gaming' headset that does little to justify it's price. It's neat stuff is truly neat and I was hoping I'd like these so I could get a set myself, but it's flaws are numerous and glaring. For $350, I was hoping for a great consumer headset with strong features, even if the cans are mediocre. Instead, it's a mediocre consumer headset with a couple party tricks and equally mediocre cans.

Audeze is gonna clean up with the Maxwell if they have fixed the Penrose's durability issues. I've listened to the Maxwell and it's actually good for music, not "good for a gaming headset." The Audeze rep said there will be customizable EQ through the app, and it has a bunch of neat gaming features too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

They are targeted at capital-G "Gamers". It's a grift second only to targeting audiophiles.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am curious about IEMs, what would people recommend for a budget entry? I see a lot of talk about the Moondrop Aria or 7hz Dioko for sub $100 options.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am curious about IEMs, what would people recommend for a budget entry? I see a lot of talk about the Moondrop Aria or 7hz Dioko for sub $100 options.

Sub-$100 you have options out of the rear end right now, the Truthear Zero ($50), 7hz Zero ($20), Moondrop Aria ($80), Truthear Hexa ($80), Dunu Titan S ($80). Moondrop also just released the Lan for $40 but I haven't seen any reviews of it from people I trust yet, sub-$50 has become an absolute warzone with how many companies are trying to get budget king status.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 24, 2023

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well sweet, I'll check a few of those out! Thanks.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Godzilla07 posted:

I've heard good things about the JBL Tune 710BT if you have to have Bluetooth.

IEMs are also worth taking a look at for noise isolation and comfort if you haven't yet. The 7Hz Zero should be a good fit for the music you listen to, and it's only $20 to see if IEMs work with your ears.

Thank you! I'll give them a look :)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm full steam ahead on the Maxwell headset. I've got to try a fair number the last few weeks and it's a real sad state of affairs. If the Maxwell battery is replacable and they haven't bungled something really badly, then this is the way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Losing my will to live with my Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2. Connection drops are ridiculous, though the sound quality is good.

Going to return them to Amazon - any recommendations for the Xbox Series X that are of comparable price and quality, but are more reliable? In the UK if that's relevant.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am assuming you want something that connects directly to the Xbox and not through the controller?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Losing my will to live with my Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2. Connection drops are ridiculous, though the sound quality is good.

Going to return them to Amazon - any recommendations for the Xbox Series X that are of comparable price and quality, but are more reliable? In the UK if that's relevant.

Take a look at HyperX CloudX Flight

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I am assuming you want something that connects directly to the Xbox and not through the controller?

Affirmative, simultaneous Xbox and Bluetooth connection support is a must.

Godzilla07 posted:

Take a look at HyperX CloudX Flight

Some reviews note they also have connection issues :argh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Affirmative, simultaneous Xbox and Bluetooth connection support is a must.

Some reviews note they also have connection issues :argh:

Probably just get the Xbox set then

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/headsets/xbox-wireless-headset

AFAIK it’s pretty rock solid with the connection and stuff.

I dunno about the UK but I can get it from the Amazon warehouse for $75.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Probably just get the Xbox set then

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/headsets/xbox-wireless-headset

AFAIK it’s pretty rock solid with the connection and stuff.

I dunno about the UK but I can get it from the Amazon warehouse for $75.

I had those earlier this year and the mic stem broke on me. FML.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The pair of Sennheiser HD 560S headphones I ordered arrived today. Bought them sight-unseen based on a friend's recommendation. They sound great and much better than the other over-ears I've used in the past. The only issue I'm having is inside the earcups near the rear each has a little raised "bump" thing. It's fine on my right eat, but my left ear is absolutely touching it and nothing I do to reposition the headphones seems to get it off the edge of my ear. I haven't used them long enough to determine if it'll end up causing discomfort or pain from pushing on my ear yet, but is there are way I'm supposed to wear these that I'm not figuring out, or are there earcup replacements that don't have the bumps/just have more padding to get them off my ear? Is the added cost of replacement cups more than it would be to just step up to something in the 600 series if those by design have large cups that won't press on my ear?

Edit: this is the bump I’m talking about.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 25, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the Tin C2 which is a horrible looking Campfire knock off shell with 1x 10mm DD. My bud dared me to retune it. I did that and holy poo poo! Got it to a $300 bux level im pretty sure. Bonkers Similar to the Tancjim Oxygen. Then the tin C3 which is a resin shell, I retuned that one and it nearly matches a $600 bux DD set called the Dark Magician. By that I mean both of these can turn out stunning as gently caress but require opening shell, retuning every drat thing. I have a 4k microscope so I can modify front vent holes, and other various things.

This is what I do now instead of dumping bullshit money on stuff.

Also the Letshuoer S12 driver which is a 14.8mm driver, I retuned that one over 11 months. In the end $1000+ bux performance and by that I mean nothing can beat it. It's at the top of the game. I made about 20 of them and it nearly killed me since the tuning is so specific. I made a video on youtubes which I wont post because if you care you can find it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

The pair of Sennheiser HD 560S headphones I ordered arrived today. Bought them sight-unseen based on a friend's recommendation. They sound great and much better than the other over-ears I've used in the past. The only issue I'm having is inside the earcups near the rear each has a little raised "bump" thing. It's fine on my right eat, but my left ear is absolutely touching it and nothing I do to reposition the headphones seems to get it off the edge of my ear. I haven't used them long enough to determine if it'll end up causing discomfort or pain from pushing on my ear yet, but is there are way I'm supposed to wear these that I'm not figuring out, or are there earcup replacements that don't have the bumps/just have more padding to get them off my ear? Is the added cost of replacement cups more than it would be to just step up to something in the 600 series if those by design have large cups that won't press on my ear?

Edit: this is the bump I’m talking about.

Is the headband adjusted such that your ear is fitting entirely within the earcup of the 560S? I can feel the bump you're describing on my pair but only if I have the headband set way too low. The HD600 I have is more comfortable but I had no issues with the comfort of the 560S once the clamp was worn-in, and I'm very picky about headphone comfort.

I demoed $20K+ worth of headphones last weekend, and the only headphone I felt like I had to immediately buy after the show was a Sennheiser HD600. I now understand all the people who ascend the summit, only to sell everything and return to HD6X0.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah, I tried the HD660S2 and a few other high end models recently. They were okay, but I'd take the HD600 over it if I was buying new

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Hi thread, my old HD555 are starting to break in multiple places and the cable has been damaged for a while. I'm looking for something similar and really like their sound. I'd buy them again, but I want something wireless.

Features definitely needed:
-Over-ear and I mean it. The ear-space can't be smaller than that of the HD555, ~2.75inch height.
-Bluetooth & detachable cable (3.5mm)

They'll be used to listen to youtube/movies >75% of the time. Sometimes music from my laptop or phone, but not extremely loud. Mostly houseelectronicdancedubstep so a little bit of bass is needed. Open headphones are fine.

Not important: Microphone, noise cancelling, fold-able, cat ears

Budget is 100-200€.

I was looking (just looking, open for any suggestions) at the HD350&450BT and somewhere here the JBL Tune 760 NC was recommended but I'm to dumb to figure out the maximum ear size for those. Comparing them to the HD555 also lead me nowhere so I thought I ask here.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

Is the headband adjusted such that your ear is fitting entirely within the earcup of the 560S? I can feel the bump you're describing on my pair but only if I have the headband set way too low. The HD600 I have is more comfortable but I had no issues with the comfort of the 560S once the clamp was worn-in, and I'm very picky about headphone comfort.

I demoed $20K+ worth of headphones last weekend, and the only headphone I felt like I had to immediately buy after the show was a Sennheiser HD600. I now understand all the people who ascend the summit, only to sell everything and return to HD6X0.

This was the issue. I didn’t have the headband properly set when I thought I did. Feels just fine now!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I looked into it some more and I'll order the Audio-Technica ATH-M20xBT. I can see them being good enough for me. I'll report back about ear space! (and maybe sound)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Apparently the Bose QC Buds 2 have had a firmware update that :siren: allows the use of the left bud independently:siren:. The updating on this is so goddamn stupid, it's been available for a week or so now but there's no way to force it to update so I had to take the buds out of the case and back in the case a few times before it started transferring the update. Now I need to wait for the update to transfer to the case so I can put the buds back in the case at which point the update will start... Hopefully this fixes some of the intermittent hitches I've had since getting them. Sometimes the buds fully disconnect while I'm using my PC which causes a very loud POP in my ear before the thing resets and re-connects to whatever device it was attached to. It's extremely unpleasant.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Is there a recommended budget option for active noise canceling wireless iem's? I don't mind shelling out if "decent budget anc" isn't a thing but I don't know enough.

A coworker of mine has wireless jbl's with anc that cost around 100 bucks. I don't know if that is a good price if you're looking more for the anc than anything else. But I could afford it if so.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Around $100 is about right, if you can find the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 or Beats Studio Buds on sale those would be my picks.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

redeyes posted:

I got the Tin C2 which is a horrible looking Campfire knock off shell with 1x 10mm DD. My bud dared me to retune it. I did that and holy poo poo! Got it to a $300 bux level im pretty sure. Bonkers Similar to the Tancjim Oxygen. Then the tin C3 which is a resin shell, I retuned that one and it nearly matches a $600 bux DD set called the Dark Magician. By that I mean both of these can turn out stunning as gently caress but require opening shell, retuning every drat thing. I have a 4k microscope so I can modify front vent holes, and other various things.

This is what I do now instead of dumping bullshit money on stuff.

Also the Letshuoer S12 driver which is a 14.8mm driver, I retuned that one over 11 months. In the end $1000+ bux performance and by that I mean nothing can beat it. It's at the top of the game. I made about 20 of them and it nearly killed me since the tuning is so specific. I made a video on youtubes which I wont post because if you care you can find it.

No lie, I'd love to try some of the things you've mentioned here!

Heard nothing but amazing things about the older Dark Magician and the Letshuoer stuff I tried at CanJam last year absolutely slapped. If the Thieaudio Divinity hadn't stolen my heart, I would've gone for one of theirs for sure, it was so punchy and clear.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Mindblast posted:

Is there a recommended budget option for active noise canceling wireless iem's? I don't mind shelling out if "decent budget anc" isn't a thing but I don't know enough.

A coworker of mine has wireless jbl's with anc that cost around 100 bucks. I don't know if that is a good price if you're looking more for the anc than anything else. But I could afford it if so.

Seconding the Buds2. I've actually switched to them almost completely, even for flying because of the ANC and sound quality are about the same as my sub-$100 ANC over-ears. Obviously they need to fit your ears well, but that's always a concern with true-wireless in-ears.

Shop around and you should be able to find them for well under $100.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

did samsung ever address the issue where the materials they use in their buds was giving some people gross ear infections/reactions

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

repiv posted:

did samsung ever address the issue where the materials they use in their buds was giving some people gross ear infections/reactions

As far as I know, that was specific to the original Buds Pro and the other models haven't had them, but that's just based on hearing people complain specifically about the Buds Pro.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.androidcentral.com/accessories/audio/samsung-galaxy-buds-2-pro-ear-infection-problems

looks like the same complaints came up again with the second generation line

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:hmmyes: thanks for the info my droogs.

E: yeah these are easily under 100. I still have a gift cert lying about.... *somewhere*. :ninja:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 28, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

https://www.androidcentral.com/accessories/audio/samsung-galaxy-buds-2-pro-ear-infection-problems

looks like the same complaints came up again with the second generation line

(Spins on the spot like a helicopter)

Actually this proves how amazingly comfortable buds are, people don't even take them out to wash!

(Distant sounds of a cheque clearing)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I blindly preordered the thieaudio ghost the other day. Don't even need it. Booze. Anyway when they arrive I'll report if they are any good or if you should just save for a sennie 660s2 or whatever.

My general rule for open backs is "just go planar" so we'll see.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thieaudio = Linsoul's house brand. Good luck!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

RabbitWizard posted:

I looked into it some more and I'll order the Audio-Technica ATH-M20xBT. I can see them being good enough for me. I'll report back about ear space! (and maybe sound)
Alright, I feel like these are a good replacement for my HD555. Earpads are the same size but are made from a stiffer material which took a day to get used to. They sit a little tighter on my head.

Sound seems to be a bit louder in the higher frequencies. Switching between them and the HD555 every few seconds, the sound of HD555 seems a bit better and more - idk how to really describe it - "clean". Not that I notice while using the M20 normally, sound is absolutely fine.

I'd recommend them to someone who wants headphones in the 100$ range.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anyone with Sony WF-1000XM4 updated the latest firmware yet? It is supposed to allow multi-connections but I'm holding off because the last update destroyed my battery life, and I would prefer for that not to happen again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thieaudio ghost turned up. I'm not going to spend too long on this.

They sound like bassy open back dynamics with a tame treble region. A bit like rolled off harman? IDK. If you like electric guitar these won't do it. Comfy. Light.

A couple songs later - I would actually say too much bass. If you didn't have better already you might potentially enjoy them.

Anyway. Back in the box and into the cupboard these go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Thieaudio ghost turned up. I'm not going to spend too long on this.

They sound like bassy open back dynamics with a tame treble region. A bit like rolled off harman? IDK. If you like electric guitar these won't do it. Comfy. Light.

A couple songs later - I would actually say too much bass. If you didn't have better already you might potentially enjoy them.

Anyway. Back in the box and into the cupboard these go.

How comfortable are they? I imagine if they go on sale for under $100 it might not be bad if they are super comfortable.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

How comfortable are they? I imagine if they go on sale for under $100 it might not be bad if they are super comfortable.

Same as any other largish oval cup headphones. Nothing unique. Very plush headband, standard velour ear pads.

Edit - sorry I wrote this on the move and looking back I think worded it a bit abrupt. More detail: I think it's the same general structure as common OEMs used by hyperx etc but the lightness and plush padding is what makes the difference. Notably no side to side swivel so if that's a factor not compatible with your head shape something to consider. Personally I like secure fits.

I might give them more of a listen this weekend. My biggest problem is what are these for? They look nice though.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 10, 2023

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Hello all, I'm seeking recommendations for someone who needs a good headphone/ microphone combo for zoom calls
  • Budget - The cheaper the better within the requirements; ideally < $150, but if you can point to anything good that meets the requirements, that could be helpful.
  • Source - Either a linux computer or an old iPad; either 3.5mm jack or bluetooth would be fine.
  • Isolation requirements - N/A
  • Preferred type of headphones - Must be over-ear, closed-back, built-in microphone, volume control(not just buttons that alter a computer's system volume, but dedicated, in-line adjustment)
  • Preferred tonal balance - balanced for speech; not very important
  • Past headphones - AKG K721 MKII (kudos to endlessmonotony for the previous rec!) - something in this form factor including a microphone would be ideal
  • Preferred music - speech/ zoom calls
Thanks in advance!

Got it figured out, thanks!

take_it_slow fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

take_it_slow posted:

Hello all, I'm seeking recommendations for someone who needs a good headphone/ microphone combo for zoom calls

I don't have a recommendation in that price range, but I would personally avoid bluetooth for a conferencing headset. Bluetooth, in its standard implementations, has a fairly a noticeable amount of latency that will result in the person with a bluetooth headset talking over other people during open discussions. I've seen this a lot. Most wireless headsets use a USB dongle that uses a low-latency codec to solve this issue. This may complicate using them with Linux, but it probably depends on the implementation of the device. There are also some headsets that can use their own dongle or Bluetooth, which would allow you to use it with your iPad a bit more easily.