Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I absolutely adored the ending where we see the guilt overwhelm Laura and the editing and filmic effects go full tilt. Extremely Hitchcockian in all the best ways.

This was maybe my favorite episode of the show so far. I could listen to Natasha Lyonne and Nick Nolte have a raspy voice contest for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I definitely feel like this show would be much improved with an extra hour to let the characters build and the plot breathe. Guzman and Notle were doing really neat stuff with their characters and it felt like we needed more time to just sit with them and let them and Charlie bounce off each other, and the plot and resolution felt super rushed.

But I'm still loving it, and an special lol at Sean Ono Lennon making a cameo as one of the guests

edit: though actually my big complaint was that the episode went on too long - it should've ended with the jump, not the aftermath

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

MokBa posted:

I could listen to Natasha Lyonne and Nick Nolte have a raspy voice contest for hours.

I kept holding out hope that Tom Waits was gonna swing in on a chandelier or something.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I know AV Club went to poo poo a long time ago, but it shocked me that the writer for the latest Poker Face review didn't mention Phil Tippett once. How can you work for a pop culture publication and not immediately recognize the connection?

They think it's an 80s horror movie homage, B movies. That doesn't even make sense in the context of the show, where he's depicted working for a ILM analog, very much not B movies.

Anyway the show was great as per usual just lamenting as I used to enjoy reading actual analysis of shows on websites instead of plot summaries written by interns with no knowledge of film history.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am pretty clueless about film history and figures but my thought was "oh this must be based on some famous ILM sculptor or something." I actually meant to look it up after but y'all did the legwork now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I can’t get over how good this episode was. Super well-written, had the proper Columbo vibes with the length and her conversations with Nolte and Jones, a ton of great guest stars, Lyonne directed the poo poo out of it…..this is one of those episodes that makes me hope the show runs for a very long time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others. Didn't like that Charlie quietly saying "bullshit" when she hears a lie was replaced with her eye twitching, and it felt forced that two people confronted Laura after seeing the video, and she killed both of them. It hasn't put me off the show though, and it sounds like other people really enjoyed it.

I'll be interested to see a poll of everyone's favourite episodes at the end of the season. For me it's definitely the one with Boyle's BBQ; all the characters in it are so good.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

SCheeseman posted:

I know AV Club went to poo poo a long time ago, but it shocked me that the writer for the latest Poker Face review didn't mention Phil Tippett once. How can you work for a pop culture publication and not immediately recognize the connection?

They think it's an 80s horror movie homage, B movies. That doesn't even make sense in the context of the show, where he's depicted working for a ILM analog, very much not B movies.

Anyway the show was great as per usual just lamenting as I used to enjoy reading actual analysis of shows on websites instead of plot summaries written by interns with no knowledge of film history.

Also laying some heavy Ray Harryhausen vibes with the stop-motion Cerberus and the giant Medusa head.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nameless Pete posted:

Also laying some heavy Ray Harryhausen vibes with the stop-motion Cerberus and the giant Medusa head.

Tippitt just finished his stop motion project that he's been working on for years, that's why I instantly thought of Tippitt when I saw what Nolte's character was working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jas8OABbn0Y

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely loved that episode, that scene where the killer is smoothly (without knowing Charlie's power) telling the truth via obfuscation and then just as the door is closing tells ONE lie, which then turns into her just baldfacedly laying out one after another after another in front of a twitching Charlie :allears:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was probably my favorite episode so far besides the BBQ one. (Hippie terrorists are up there too.) Nolte is such a phenomenal actor.

It seems like lies are starting to have a greater effect on Charlie as time goes on. First she starts reflexively saying "bullshit," then she starts to kind of melt down from the rampant BS at the barbershop, and then she starts twitching. Wonder if it will lead to something plot-wise.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also wondering what they're going to do with her being innocently, but indirectly responsible for a handful of the deaths. The BBQ guy got off'ed because she gave him the dvd, the musician got off'd because she talked the band into spending time with him where they heard his song, Nick Nolte only rented out that footage because she inspired him to confront his past...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also wondering what they're going to do with her being innocently, but indirectly responsible for a handful of the deaths. The BBQ guy got off'ed because she gave him the dvd, the musician got off'd because she talked the band into spending time with him where they heard his song, Nick Nolte only rented out that footage because she inspired him to confront his past...

The final episode will reveal that she as the narrator of the story was the liar all along.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The BBQ got offed because his brother killed him and all the other people also died because someone killed them. If she's considered responsible there then Bong Joon-Ho and Netflix are too.

I don't personally want them to lampshade or dwell on it, but aid like her to solve some crimes that aren't murders, or something that isn't really a crime at all just a sucky situation or mystery to crack.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone tells you gateway theory is bullshit, don't listen to them. I took a couple of hits of Poker Face and now I'm all hosed up on Columbo.

Discovered that it's on Prime Video even in Finland, and even though I watched and loved it as a kid, it's so much fun seeing it again as an adult. God drat Peter Falk was good, and Natasha Lyonne is so obviously doing a Columbo performance in Poker Face.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Khanstant posted:

The BBQ got offed because his brother killed him and all the other people also died because someone killed them. If she's considered responsible there then Bong Joon-Ho and Netflix are too.

Well like I said, she's not *morally* responsible, there's bigger things at play in each case, but she set in direct motion the immediate thing that led to those people dying. You're not wrong, but it's also happening enough that I can' t help but wonder what they'll do with it, if anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Signs that you done hosed up:

https://i.imgur.com/yPEQVZR.mp4

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: was that a reference to something?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it feels like a shot taken directly out of a Columbo episode

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Enjoyed this week's episode about Nick Nolte's monster movies, but I feel like there was an enormous plot hole:
I find it difficult to believe there wasn't some sort of official investigation into the original actress's death. She died at work, so I really can't imagine the cops turning up and just .. not doing anything? Assuming everyone's story was "yeah she drowned on camera in the tank while wearing a safety device that she'd used a bunch of times today, we dunno what happened :shrug:" (which Max and Arthur both believe to be true), it feels pretty unlikely to me that cops wouldn't at least review the footage to see how the safety device malfunctioned.

I dunno, I'm not American and I come from a country with strong unions and labour laws (even more true in the 80s) so maybe it's different and nobody actually cared.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

webmeister posted:

I dunno, I'm not American and I come from a country with strong unions and labour laws (even more true in the 80s) so maybe it's different and nobody actually cared.

I feel like you are in fact giving the average American cop way too much credit in how much they’re willing to bother investigating what is presented to them as and open-and-shut case.

Congrats on having not-poo poo cops who might be willing to press a boss for violating labor laws!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i thought about that too but really it seems trivial for Laura to retighten that bulb in all the immediate commotion

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cops solve less than half of murders and the ones they solve are generally the gimmes, like, not really any question to solve, just procedure to go through. Don't murder anyone you know, they might figure that sort of thing our, but go ahead and murder to your hearts content if it's strangers the cops can't stop ya. Just don't be surprised if you get cancelled if anyone finds out, almost everyone agrees murder is bad.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

webmeister posted:

I come from a country with strong unions and labour laws (even more true in the 80s) so maybe it's different and nobody actually cared.

yeah- kind of the inverse here, in that unions are currently somewhat weak and labor laws either are somewhat adequate or totally suck (depending on state/municipal law), but they were waaaay worse under Reagan/Bush Sr, when there was an all-out assault on the american labor movement

1989 is- probably the most likely recent year for something like this to happen in the united states

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I don't think subtitles have ever worked for this show. Great series, shame that Peacock's app kinda sucks.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Loved seeing Nick Nolte, Tim Russ, and Luis Guzman in this week's ep (Christ they're all looking so old tho) but didn't really dig the actual story that much. Charlie and Nick hanging out was the best part for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I knew she was in a couple of shows that I haven't seen before like Orange is the New Black and Russian Doll, but I somehow failed to make the connection that Natasha Lyonne played Jessica (the unbelievably cool, laidback character who helps the nerdy guy build up his reputation) in American Pie :aaa:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Man that was a great performance. I saw his name in the opening titles and it really wasn't what I would have expected.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really liked this episode but yeah i agree with the statement that the mystery solving in this one was pretty weak. but i am a mark for the special effects stuff.

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely loved that episode, that scene where the killer is smoothly (without knowing Charlie's power) telling the truth via obfuscation and then just as the door is closing tells ONE lie, which then turns into her just baldfacedly laying out one after another after another in front of a twitching Charlie :allears:

that scene is fun because it was the closest we got to a Columbo style "one more thing" while putting a twist on it using the show's gimmick.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Well like I said, she's not *morally* responsible, there's bigger things at play in each case, but she set in direct motion the immediate thing that led to those people dying. You're not wrong, but it's also happening enough that I can' t help but wonder what they'll do with it, if anything.

it would be weirder for it not come up at this point honestly. and while a bit different you also have to factor in both brody and this killer can be thrown in the pile too and even go the same way.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo, now that I have watched Columbo for the first time in 20 years, I realized that the Poker Face opening is literally a 1:1 recreation of the copyright year and title styles of Columbo. Boy they really aren't hiding it, are they?

Also Columbo owns. Columbowns.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I appreciate the restraint of her not saying "one more thing". But I did like that this episode had the kind of scene Columbo would say that in, but she just kinda grumbled and raised one finger. They know what they're doing.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Sentinel Red posted:

Charlie and Nick hanging out was the best part for me.

Loved that too. This is such a fun show.

Didn't make sense that Laura didn't get rid of the incriminating footage soon after the incident, but whatever.

Really wish there wasn't a superpower.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LesterGroans posted:

I appreciate the restraint of her not saying "one more thing".

I reckon a season finale they will do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure she's actually already said it in an earlier episode? I remember doing the Leo point at the screen when it happened!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Not my fav episode, the back half felt a little weak. Really just kind of a thin plotline this time I think. That's okay though! Cool performances and set pieces.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty sure she's actually already said it in an earlier episode? I remember doing the Leo point at the screen when it happened!

I only recall the young lady in the theatre episode saying that while blackmailing her costars

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

columbo doesn't actually say "one more thing" all that often, its kind of a "play it again sam" thing. every episode he will do the routine with some kind of variation ("oh theres just one thing thats bothering me") , and Lyonne nails those moments with the same spirit.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I found the reveal funny (and was expecting something like that because the way the flower scene was filmed) but yeah I also did found it a bit eye rolley. I want the person who said their theory was Rian is a Marxist to give their take on that lmao.

Sorry to drag this post up from the past, but I hadn’t caught up on this thread in a while, and since I’m the guy who said that Rían was a Marxist I thought I’d respond.

(This was in reference to the retirement home hippy Model UN bombers episode btw)

I really saw this as more of a comment on generational politics than a condemnation of revolutionary ones. Boomers talk a big game of being radical, but the hippy movement is was incoherent bullshit that achieved little and most of the participants went on to sell out so hard they actively helped cause the terrifying mess we live in today. Charlie spends most of the episode being impressed by these two old counter-cultural ladies, but finds out in the end that actually she’s a more effective radical than they ever were, just by being a working-class woman living her life.

That said, there’s no doubt that this was the least Marxist episode that’s come out so far. I was particularly disappointed that Charlie so willingly worked with the FBI, and that the agent was presented so sympathetically (although it also showed him as fundamentally incompetent). I think it’s pretty naive to expect a largely non-serialised corporate US TV show written by a team of people to remain Marxist ideological purity though.

The FBI thing was odd though because in the first couple of eps (the ones actually directed by Rian), Charlie repeatedly stated that “I’m not a cop,” and they’ve otherwise been fairly studious in avoiding showing the police as solutions to the problems. And clearly they’re not actually solving the mysteries.

It seems likely to me that Poker Face was envisioned as a more explicitly left-wing version of Columbo. That show has got props for its lefty vibe - a disheveled working-class man outwits the crimes of the high society who underestimate him. But obviously, this is flawed: Columbo works for the police, which gives him authority and props up a broken system.

Poker Face is the answer to this issue. Charlie is, as repeatedly stated, not a cop. She is an itinerant working-class woman who flits from job to bottom-of-the-barrel job. The lie-detecting magic is basically just a plot device to allow it to feel plausible that someone with zero authority would be able to solve these crimes at all. Most of the crimes, even when committed by working-class people, are caused by the cruelty and contradictions of capitalism.

I really should finally get the effortpost that I’ve been thinking about since Christmas about the Marxist message of Glass Onion (and retroactively in Knives Out) out of my system at some point!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's been years since I've seen Columbo, but he worked with and had backup from the police. When Charlie does her endgame accusation, she's in a much more vulnerable position, which is nail-biting when she constantly picks the worst possible time to confront the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Given the fandom culture war take on Johnson after Last Jedi I think it’s really funny that he made a show where Kathleen Kennedy is a murderer, and her victims include Phil Tippit and a Star Trek actor