Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like to think that doctor crusher was more pissed off at data for pushing her off the boat in generations than at worf for melting her face in that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I thought the Silent Enemy aliens looked super cool/interesting/pretty scary honestly. Watching Enterprise for first time now and I do wish they were able to do what someone posted earlier that the writers wanted, to be on earth for first season as you would think any prequel series would be, but that the studio wanted them to do same old poo poo again and be exploring in the Enterprise. This rush into space without establishing the show/characters/why it's a prequel led to the kind of hollow feeling Xindi 'Big Bad' (and Mr. Hologram Man lord of lizards or whatever) as a new villain like The Dominion which they 'technically' avoided copying by saying these 5 (or 6?) distinct races somehow advanced together on the same planet (respek to the gigantic ant race that held it down).

Also, does anyone else feel like a lot of the Season 3 time stuff doesn't make sense in any sort of fictional standard time travel-y way? Like when Archer pushes T'Pol out of the way of the temporal wave anomaly which gives him outside-of-time nanobrainworms so that he can't form new memories. The way it all went down with Archer climatically triggering the whatever blast that will kill all the nanomachines, I guess ending that timeline, and waking up in sickbay like it never happened, was a little what the gently caress moment; essentially because they said "if we get rid of them and Archer can be captain again for those 6 months to find the Xindi weapon, everything will be alright!"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

knox posted:

Also, does anyone else feel like a lot of the Season 3 time stuff doesn't make sense in any sort of fictional standard time travel-y way? Like when Archer pushes T'Pol out of the way of the temporal wave anomaly which gives him outside-of-time nanobrainworms so that he can't form new memories. The way it all went down with Archer climatically triggering the whatever blast that will kill all the nanomachines, I guess ending that timeline, and waking up in sickbay like it never happened, was a little what the gently caress moment; essentially because they said "if we get rid of them and Archer can be captain again for those 6 months to find the Xindi weapon, everything will be alright!"

"Twilight" is both a really good episode and a really dumb episode and that's basically the Enterprise experience in a nutshell.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

knox posted:

I thought the Silent Enemy aliens looked super cool/interesting/pretty scary honestly. Watching Enterprise for first time now and I do wish they were able to do what someone posted earlier that the writers wanted, to be on earth for first season as you would think any prequel series would be, but that the studio wanted them to do same old poo poo again and be exploring in the Enterprise. This rush into space without establishing the show/characters/why it's a prequel led to the kind of hollow feeling Xindi 'Big Bad' (and Mr. Hologram Man lord of lizards or whatever) as a new villain like The Dominion which they 'technically' avoided copying by saying these 5 (or 6?) distinct races somehow advanced together on the same planet (respek to the gigantic ant race that held it down).

a lot of enterprise doesn't make sense in exactly the same way. that could be because there's simply not a lot of it, but it's pretty clear they were running on fumes idea-wise

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Y'all motherfuckers think that Spock really boned that Romulan Commander in The Enterprise Incident?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It somehow never occurred to me that only half of the main DS9 cast was in Starfleet (well aside from Worf tipping the scales later on). That’s wild for a Star Trek show and another reason why Voyager’s whole “mixed crew” concept feels so half baked.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the next episode of Picard Woof should be in the background eating a copy of Lord of the Rings so he can be shown to have been eating good books lately

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure Worf ate a guy.

This has such a powerful "Brick killed a guy" vibe that you can easily see Riker or Geordi saying it while everyone is chilling at the conference table the next morning.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure Worf ate a guy.

Riker: Worf, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
It's important that Galaxy class ships don't separate the saucer for battle because it makes the ship look dumb. The families on the ship should understand and accept this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, there was a fuckup and miscommunication in design and saucer sep didn't actually get designed into the galaxy class until after the ship layout was basically complete, so it had to be kinda retro-fitted into the look.

What Probert thought would happen would be that a boomerang-shaped part of the saucer would separate and it would go fight and the camera would mostly be on it, and the hull would retain a lot of the saucer and so be balanced.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tbf, the boomerang separation probably would have looked even worse

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Minidust posted:

It somehow never occurred to me that only half of the main DS9 cast was in Starfleet (well aside from Worf tipping the scales later on). That’s wild for a Star Trek show and another reason why Voyager’s whole “mixed crew” concept feels so half baked.

Thats why the whole root beer speech quark has with garak is so good, its two nonfederation dudes complaining about Disney taking over the galaxy

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
We've seen old Scotty and young Geordie. Now we just need a story where it's the reverse.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Minidust posted:

It's not super obvious because it's a concept that's actually well-written and well-integrated into the show, so the writers never feel the need to beat you over the head with episodes focusing specifically on crew division. There were plenty of little things that didn't totally make sense (like Odo constantly getting away with doing a fascism), but it still worked so much better than just totally ignoring those differences and turning everyone into the same bland Starfleet stereotype.

It also probably helped that the actual Starfleet characters misfits and oddities in their own ways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I miss Trek people hanging out at the bar. Quark's was the best version of that. They had games, shady deals, and morn!

Picard is the worst version where bars are cyberpunk dives where someone is always getting ambushed

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Picard is the worst version where bars are cyberpunk dives where someone is always getting ambushed

it's fun when it happens in star trek v!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Der Kyhe posted:

Its pretty much given by now that Star Trek Online is canon, unless it isn't.

the novel verse, the STO universe, and the 'main' timeline are all separate timelines. And the Novel Universe literally sacrificed itself to save the multiverse from the Devidians.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Everything I read that I keep thinking it is a whole empire of dudes all named David, voiced by Keith David.

I choose to believe that is the truth because gently caress if I will ever read that poo poo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s very weird to me that Keith David hasn’t done Star Trek yet.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

jeeves posted:

Everything I read that I keep thinking it is a whole empire of dudes all named David, voiced by Keith David.

I choose to believe that is the truth because gently caress if I will ever read that poo poo.

You remember the Drej from Titan AE? They're knockoff Devidians.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Its pretty much given by now that Star Trek Online is canon, unless it isn't.

STO is very much not canon, it has all sorts of absolutely absurd things and its timeline is extremely incompatible with Picard. It's more that the stuff people are fond of will be mined out, cleaned up, and reinserted into main canon. But so far that's only been very few things.

It's basically what Star Wars did with the old EU and the new. The good poo poo got pulled back in, tweaked and polished, the nicer ships re-canonised, characters like Thrawn re-established, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 26, 2023

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I miss Trek people hanging out at the bar. Quark's was the best version of that. They had games, shady deals, and morn!

thats not true, sometimes they get abandoned there forever because the script writers forgot about them too

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MikeJF posted:

It's basically what Star Wars did with the old EU and the new. The good poo poo got pulled back in, tweaked and polished, the nicer ships re-canonised, characters like Thrawn re-established, etc.

I like how they took Kyle Katarn from the first Dark Forces game, went back in time to ensure he did not become a lame Jedi, and turned him into Andor instead.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Paper Lion posted:

thats not true, sometimes they get abandoned there forever because the script writers forgot about them too

Hey now, that's implying all the characters they abandoned were forgotten and that is just not true!

Sometimes they were just bored with them, and others they obviously disliked.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wesleywillis posted:

Y'all motherfuckers think that Spock really boned that Romulan Commander in The Enterprise Incident?

the question is, gentlemen, have we pon too farr or have we not pon farr enough

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kesper North posted:

the question is, gentlemen, have we pon too farr or have we not pon farr enough

Vulcans conveniently forgetting for several decades to mention their allies that Romulans are actually their cousins, Spock is working fast on this one.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

"Blood Oath" on DS9 was a pretty okay episode. I don't care for Klingon stuff too much but I did like Jazdia Dax being reluctant to carry out a vengeance kill. The assault on the Albino's commune had the tone of a cheesy 80's action film which made it's context even weirder. Didn't love it but it was a far cry better than the TNG episode from that week: "Journey's End".

I like the idea of Wesley realizing he didn't want to be part of Starfleet but calling back to the Traveler and Wesley being a special boy is the worst way to end his arc. There was potential with Wesley. For all the hate his character gets, towards the end he got halfway likable, especially with the Starfleet trial episode. There's also that really dumb like from Dr Crusher at the end– something like "You better bundle up; it might get cold in those higher dimensions!" Okay, thanks.

Also the native stereotypes were really bad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Traveler groomed Wesley

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I always loved Blood Oath because I am a weepy sucker for the "old guys kicking rear end One Last Time" trope and using the OG Klingons from TOS to do it just ruins me

"How did you get in here?"

"I am Koloth."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"Yes. It. Does."

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

A Vulcan who's super into Japan.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tighclops posted:

I always loved Blood Oath because I am a weepy sucker for the "old guys kicking rear end One Last Time" trope and using the OG Klingons from TOS to do it just ruins me

"How did you get in here?"

"I am Koloth."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"Yes. It. Does."

They're reprising a classic,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhpctuUwb4

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DoubleCakes posted:

"Blood Oath" on DS9 was a pretty okay episode. I don't care for Klingon stuff too much but I did like Jazdia Dax being reluctant to carry out a vengeance kill. The assault on the Albino's commune had the tone of a cheesy 80's action film which made it's context even weirder. Didn't love it but it was a far cry better than the TNG episode from that week: "Journey's End".

I like the idea of Wesley realizing he didn't want to be part of Starfleet but calling back to the Traveler and Wesley being a special boy is the worst way to end his arc. There was potential with Wesley. For all the hate his character gets, towards the end he got halfway likable, especially with the Starfleet trial episode. There's also that really dumb like from Dr Crusher at the end– something like "You better bundle up; it might get cold in those higher dimensions!" Okay, thanks.

Also the native stereotypes were really bad.

I have to go now, my dimension needs me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Goddamn Worf doesn't even know Alexanders birthday in the episode where Alexander comes to live with him.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Someone needs to create a DS9 fangame where Quark's bar is the hubworld.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Prurient Squid posted:

Ooh, just make a Quark's manager game where you run the bar, order root beer and try to shift old Kanar, run rigged Dabo games and holosuites, and try not to get murdered by season 1 Rom or caught by Odo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can only imagine the settling that happens in an old jug of kanar. The bottom several centimeters would just be tarlike consistency. And some Cardassians seek that poo poo out preferentially, call it "kanar treacle" and chew it

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Prurient Squid posted:

Gul Dukat in the Temple with the Pah'Wraith Energy

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Did they ever do a DS9 or ENT videogame? I recall many tos, tng, voy ones as well as the more general purpose star trek universe games, but I can't think of any for DS9 or ENT, which, doesn't entirely surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

there's a ds9 point and click game but i forget the title of it