Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

quote is not edit, forgive me father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rudeboy Detective posted:

We're probably within a decade of a having a show about two dudes slapping EV conversion kits into cars and doing sick burnouts with them. He's gonna eat so much poo poo then.

edit: oh god, the future EV equivalent to roadkill is probably gonna be people doing 1000hp EV conversions of early 90s tauruses

There's a few EV Youtube channels doing just that now. The thing I guess that is a content problem is they area bit same-sy - Tesla driveline, batteries from xyz, controller, old car has 700+Nm of torque and can fry tyres or go indecently fast with the TC on.

Sure a VW Kombi doing 0-Lightspeed in a fraction of a second is hilarious but the same type of build does get monotonous over and over again. So far there's not really a lot of ways like with ICE to be stupidly overpowered, its very cookie cutter.

Unless you are like AI poster Blooot who built a motorcyle engine hybrid Nissan Leaf that is just all sorts of WTF

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's a few EV Youtube channels doing just that now. The thing I guess that is a content problem is they area bit same-sy - Tesla driveline, batteries from xyz, controller, old car has 700+Nm of torque and can fry tyres or go indecently fast with the TC on.

Sure a VW Kombi doing 0-Lightspeed in a fraction of a second is hilarious but the same type of build does get monotonous over and over again. So far there's not really a lot of ways like with ICE to be stupidly overpowered, its very cookie cutter.

Unless you are like AI poster Blooot who built a motorcyle engine hybrid Nissan Leaf that is just all sorts of WTF

This might get better as more manufacturers push out their own EV architectures. The Hyundai super high voltage setup is sorta novel and can lend itself to cool Roadkill-esque roadtrip adventures with its short charge time.

But, yeah, I'm in total agreement that EV conversions are pretty flat. With an electric drivetrain there's far fewer factors at play. Which is an actual, valid critique of EVs in car culture in contrast to Freiburger's Very Cool and Good stance :V

I'm gonna have to find that Leaf build. Holy Jupiter poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

We're probably within a decade of a having a show about two dudes slapping EV conversion kits into cars and doing sick burnouts with them. He's gonna eat so much poo poo then.

edit: oh god, the future EV equivalent to roadkill is probably gonna be people doing 1000hp EV conversions of early 90s tauruses

there's already guys doing that on youtube to great success, and AFAIK none of them are particularly "woke" or anything like that

Rich Rebuilds is the big one that comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure he's in the 'hardcore Joe Rogan fan' demo + last I checked he was still thumbnailing his videos with thirst-trap pictures of his partner

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I don't think rich is full chud or whatever but he's got a weird vibe. Maybe I've just been away from Massachusetts for too long

speaking of sick rear end electric swaps https://youtu.be/Gs6YRANUR-c

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Someone else described Rich as a "youtube shitposter" and I think that covers his style recently!

I find the frequent insanity of his channel quite refreshing and enjoyable now. Though his videos always frustrate me as there is never any technical detail.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I did like the Grind Hard/Rich Rebuilds collab on making an off-road Tesla.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yo what the gently caress I need to step outside of my bookmarks list more often.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Yo what the gently caress I need to step outside of my bookmarks list more often.

It started innocently enough in the Youtube thread:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVlMxQaAf-k

Rear engine / front motor Leaf.

All hail the Algorythm

Couple days later, Bloot replied:

Blooot posted:

It me. If you recall: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3935442&pagenumber=11&perpage=40&highlight=blooot#post516086360 -- in which I lied about making a thread about my car (I never did, I just built the thing)

If you didn't bother to click thru the links that Matt threw up, here's the one to watch of my car doing a full (composite) lap of Streets. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgoxhiMSIHA

And it went on for a little bit in that thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would absolutely support this fyi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PY2O3jdQMQ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

Someone else described Rich as a "youtube shitposter" and I think that covers his style recently!

I find the frequent insanity of his channel quite refreshing and enjoyable now. Though his videos always frustrate me as there is never any technical detail.
I watched a couple of his videos a while ago and they're like 30+ minutes but don't actually show or tell anything interesting. Dunno about his chudiness but I think he used to work for Tesla I think so that might've rubbed of on him a bit

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

My wife’s been watching some programs with her the other day, and my reaction to her bit swings wildly and uncontrollably from “amused chuckle” to “annoyed scoff”.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

morothar posted:

My wife’s been watching some programs with her the other day, and my reaction to her bit swings wildly and uncontrollably from “amused chuckle” to “annoyed scoff”.

those are the appropriate reactions for what she's trying to do

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Tesla drive unit is the SBC of the day. Ubiquitous for a reason.
Mainly because there are non-Tesla controller boards for them. Aging Wheels is putting *two* of them in a Ford Escape. Tuned up. He's building a 900HP AWD Ford Escape!

e, goddamit:

Panty Saluter posted:

speaking of sick rear end electric swaps https://youtu.be/Gs6YRANUR-c

Ok Comboomer posted:

there's already guys doing that on youtube to great success, and AFAIK none of them are particularly "woke" or anything like that

Rich Rebuilds is the big one that comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure he's in the 'hardcore Joe Rogan fan' demo + last I checked he was still thumbnailing his videos with thirst-trap pictures of his partner

He's also V8 and diesel swapped Teslas (wrecked ones that Tesla has blacklisted, though) and has a ridiculous diesel medium-duty truck. And a Corvette. On the flip side, he EV converted a traditional hot rod.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The reality is Tesla would've been a far more successful manufacturer had they just sold powertrains to major auto makers rather than trying to do their own.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
As much as I hate coal rolling, and Teslas a coal rolling Tesla would be fuckin sweet.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

As much as I hate coal rolling, and Teslas a coal rolling Tesla would be fuckin sweet.

Technically in some parts of this backwater Teslas do roll coal while they're charging.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Touché.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

Its only acceptable if you are driving a generator to run your electric motors

(even then its unacceptable because your engine should be tuned for peak efficiency and rolling coal is just good at one thing: destroying your engine)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I used to watch Rich Rebuilds but posting more and more Leenda thirst trap clips and veering off into shitposting kind of turned me off. I guess he knows his audience as it seems to working for him but it's not my thing.

I don't know about any chiddiness but him and Steve make a lot of "X identifies as Y" type jokes or they say stuff like "you can't say that anymore, you'll get cancelled". It seems to be more generic "bro" humor.

mobby_6kl posted:

I watched a couple of his videos a while ago and they're like 30+ minutes but don't actually show or tell anything interesting. Dunno about his chudiness but I think he used to work for Tesla I think so that might've rubbed of on him a bit
I don't know about Rich, but I know a few of the guys he hired for his Electrified Garage chain worked for Telsa (until they were laid off). Steve used to (I don't know if he still does) work for some solar installers and he hosted a EV chat podcast that was basically Tesla fanboy chat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The reality is Tesla would've been a far more successful manufacturer had they just sold powertrains to major auto makers rather than trying to do their own.

Tesla has the highest market capitalization of any car market on the planet by a huge margin. No, they would not have been more successful than this as a Delphi or Bosch.

Sure, the value is entirely made up and based mostly on the strength of Elon Musk's personality cult. But :capitalism:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Maybe in several decades, depending on where Tesla ends up, you might be able to draw that conclusion and see this preceding decade as an unsustainable flash-in-the-pan moment—or at least see the totality of the company’s long term trajectory, much like how American Motors used to be a titan of industry before its collapse or how Thatcher/Major killed UK automotive manufacturing or how GM, even at its current size, is a pale shadow of the global behemoth it used to be in the postwar pre-malaise years.

Maybe in 2050 you can look at Tesla and conclude that they would’ve been better off as a whole-industry tech/platform company rather than making their own cars and committing to proprietary bullshit every step of the way.

But here, now, in 2023, that is not the case.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Tesla has the highest market capitalization of any car market on the planet by a huge margin. No, they would not have been more successful than this as a Delphi or Bosch.

The thing about Delphi and Bosch is that they are established companies and established suppliers. Early on the Tesla financials were terrible and the quailty was not good. Automakers would have needed to invest heavily to get Tesla where they wanted as a powertrain supplier.

Some companies did invest in partnerships with Tesla and they fizzled out for whatever reason. Daimler and Toyota come to mind. Those investments paled in comparison to what they'd get with VC capital.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The reality is Apple would've been a far more successful manufacturer had they just sold hardware to other major computer and phone makers rather than trying to do their own operating systems and software/services/storefront stack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apple has a successful product that has withstood the test of time and is not actively trying to murder people. So no, not a very good comparison at all.

Apple, for better or for worse, wasn't also led by a Right Wing demagogue who is so full of himself that he can't stop trying to be the main character.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s Tim Cook doing these days? No one knows because he can actually keep to himself and run a drat company instead of tweeting boomer memes every 15 minutes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Apple has a successful product that has withstood the test of time and is not actively trying to murder people. So no, not a very good comparison at all.

Apple, for better or for worse, wasn't also led by a Right Wing demagogue who is so full of himself that he can't stop trying to be the main character.

the world at large didn’t know about Elon’s true self until the last few months/weeks, and even we terminally online car goons didn’t know just how egregiously he’d broadcast his brainrot to everybody

even if the Elon of 2014 and the Elon of today are really the same guy minus some mystery and he actually hasn’t gotten more reactionary in that decade, we certainly didn’t relate to him back then in the way we do now post-Twitter buy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

the world at large didn’t know about Elon’s true self until the last few months/weeks, and even we terminally online car goons didn’t know just how egregiously he’d broadcast his brainrot to everybody

even if the Elon of 2014 and the Elon of today are really the same guy minus some mystery and he actually hasn’t gotten more reactionary in that decade, we certainly didn’t relate to him back then in the way we do now post-Twitter buy

Nah, he was always pretty sketchy, he's just more publicly so now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, he was always pretty sketchy, he's just more publicly so now.

yo I literally said that

and no, most ppl didn’t know how much he sucked, even the stuff that was known to people online and in the industries he touches. he was on all the biggest normie TV shows and in an Iron Man movie

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s Tim Cook doing these days? No one knows because he can actually keep to himself and run a drat company instead of tweeting boomer memes every 15 minutes.

Bless up Tim Apple

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

He did wave the checkered flag in the Austin Formula F1 race. So he's sort of into sports, cars or publicity.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Kivi posted:

He did wave the checkered flag in the Austin Formula F1 race. So he's sort of into sports, cars or publicity.

Yeah I heard from some friends that work at Apple in Austin that he was doing a site visit, but it turns out it was just an excuse to attend F1. LOL. LMAO

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kivi posted:

"Wave" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

https://youtu.be/3aG5HEih-O4

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I want to see someone EV swap Stubby Bob while Finnegan and Freiburger are tied up, eyes forced open. Clockwork Orange style. :v:

Maybe they could talk Tony Angelo into doing it! :v: He'd get that thing riding on the tow ball even harder than they did, probably in less time too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 3, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://twitter.com/richardbrunning/status/1632052129186578433

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Figures.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

God dammit. Wish there was a way to support Nik without supporting this asshat.
He sounds so nice and personable narrating the videos. Pity.

Wonder if Nik is aware how much of a chud his friend is?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Darchangel posted:

God dammit. Wish there was a way to support Nik without supporting this asshat.
He sounds so nice and personable narrating the videos. Pity.

Wonder if Nik is aware how much of a chud his friend is?

There has been several instances of Nik telling Richard to STFU after his most egregious posts.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 4, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SlowBloke posted:

There has been several instances of Nik telling Richard to STFU after his most egregious posts.

Yep, Nik is very much not a chud by all accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yep, Nik is very much not a chud by all accounts

Then he needs to tell Ric to gently caress off. I don’t care how many contrarian tweets Nik makes if he still works with that piece of poo poo.

E: I’ll keep saying his this but Brunning has told me straight to gently caress off if I don’t agree with him, so I have no clue how the project turned out cause I blocked them on YT

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 5, 2023