Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I notice that somewhere along the line, my preference for "no third party cookies" on Firefox was changed (by me to fix a site login? by an extension? by Mozilla when adding some feature that slipped me back to a default?) to permitting cross-site cookies. I went hunting for this after noticing some of my search terms suddenly show up in an ad that got by uBlock Origin. Just some routine looking-over-the-old-shoulder by my friends at Google.

Anyway, something you might wanna check once in a while if you prefer to make big tech work harder to surveil you online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
I hate when I load my bookmarked threads in the background and then I have to scroll back to the first unread post via ctrl-L + enter or mouse for every single tab.

This bug-free and perfect tampermonkey script will scroll tabs to the anchor in the URL when the tab becomes visible, or after 2 seconds if the tab loads in the foreground.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               Scroll to anchor
// @namespace          https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description        If the tab is visible scroll to anchor after 2secs, otherwise when the tab becomes visible.
// @match              https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php*
// @grant              none
// @version            0.1
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

function rescrollAnchorIntoView() {
        let anchor = window.location.hash.substr(1);
        if (anchor.length == 0) {
            return;
        }
        let el = document.getElementById(anchor);
        el.scrollIntoView();
    }

function visibilityChanged(event) {
        let state = document.visibilityState;
        console.log(state);
        if (state === 'hidden') {
            return;
        }
        if (state === 'visible') {
            rescrollAnchorIntoView();
            document.removeEventListener("visibilitychange", visibilityChanged);
            if (timeout) {
                clearTimeout(timeout);
            }
        }
    }

let anchor = window.location.hash.substr(1);
    if (anchor.length == 0) {
        // No anchor in URL, bye
        return;
    }
    var timeout;
    let state = document.visibilityState;
    //console.log(state);
    if (state === 'hidden') {
        if (document.addEventListener) {
            document.addEventListener("visibilitychange", visibilityChanged);
        }
    } else {
        timeout = setTimeout(rescrollAnchorIntoView, 2000);
    }

})();

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I see that tweetdeck is going to be sold. Are there any viable alternatives if you just want to see stuff from people you follow?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Set your Twitter timeline to Following instead of For You and maybe pick one of the userscripts that do it automatically from greasyfork?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jippa posted:

I see that tweetdeck is going to be sold. Are there any viable alternatives if you just want to see stuff from people you follow?

Confusing, and completely at odds with every other decision Twitter have made recently.

Userscripts and ad-blocking is all there is.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Jippa posted:

Tweak New Twitter. Disappears everything poo poo about the site. It's been a mandatory extension for me for years now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

karoshi posted:

I hate when I load my bookmarked threads in the background and then I have to scroll back to the first unread post via ctrl-L + enter or mouse for every single tab.

This bug-free and perfect tampermonkey script will scroll tabs to the anchor in the URL when the tab becomes visible, or after 2 seconds if the tab loads in the foreground.

code:

Nice work!

The SA Last Read extension lets you do this by pressing 'o', but anything that save button presses is a good thing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Tweak New Twitter. Disappears everything poo poo about the site. It's been a mandatory extension for me for years now.

Has it been taken down?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It seems to have been renamed?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Jippa posted:

Has it been taken down?
I think it's been renamed to Control Panel for Twitter.

EDIT: Beaten. :argh:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Exactly what I was looking for, cheers.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Firefox can't seem to download files to my NFS share, but can save them anywhere else. I'm on a debian linux system. Vivaldi can save to em fine, I can write to them fine, permissions are 775, it's just Firefox, on just one computer. Any ideas?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Mofabio posted:

Firefox can't seem to download files to my NFS share, but can save them anywhere else. I'm on a debian linux system. Vivaldi can save to em fine, I can write to them fine, permissions are 775, it's just Firefox, on just one computer. Any ideas?

I suspect you have a Snap-packaged Firefox that is running in sandbox and has limited access outside it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

On FreeBSD, I can save files to ZFS using NFSv4 over TCP with NFSv4 ACLs, so I doubt it's got anything to do with Firefox.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
On the topic of Twitter, is there an extension/script that makes muting and blocking someone from the Twitter web UI a single-click action, skipping any menu-ing and confirmation dialogs?

I'm used to blocking people at the speed of light from Better TweetDeck, but who knows how long that'll remain available 😔

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Saukkis posted:

I suspect you have a Snap-packaged Firefox that is running in sandbox and has limited access outside it.

It looks like "apt install firefox" on debian will get you a plain non-container version, but they do also explain how to install it as a snap and flatpack in the wiki.

As far as I know, flatpack should still allow you to save to any folder, since the save dialog is a "portal" hosted by the outside system that can grant a flatpack access to read or write a file in any directory the user chooses (if the user has permission, ofc). Maybe that interacts in a weird way with NFS mounts, but I can't offhand imagine how/why?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Siliziumleben posted:

On the topic of Twitter, is there an extension/script that makes muting and blocking someone from the Twitter web UI a single-click action, skipping any menu-ing and confirmation dialogs?

I'm used to blocking people at the speed of light from Better TweetDeck, but who knows how long that'll remain available 😔

Yup, once again, Control Panel for Twitter.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

CPfT does skip the confirmation dialog, but you still need to click on the "more" menu first, so it's not quite one-click. Still, going from three clicks to two clicks is an improvement, so thanks for the rec!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mofabio posted:

What error does it give?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When did Firefox for Android get pull to refresh?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When did Firefox for Android get pull to refresh?

I've been waiting for that but it's not working for me on 110.0.1

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It wasn't enabled for me out of the box, but it's in the settings

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TVGM posted:

I've been waiting for that but it's not working for me on 110.0.1

I'm on 111.0b6. I wonder if there was a patent on it or something?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there any way to have Android Firefox install extensions beyond the pitiful few you're normally allowed?

Watching youtube on my tablet is an exercise in frustration.

You can only install literally seventeen extensions on the Android version. And most of them aren't even useful.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there any way to have Android Firefox install extensions beyond the pitiful few you're normally allowed?

You can only install literally seventeen extensions on the Android version. And most of them aren't even useful.
I did this thing in the Firefox derivative Mull, but just nabbed someone else's collection that was in some other article that happened to have everything I wanted. But I still haven't seen anyone post in this thread whether it definitely works on vanilla non-nightly Firefox now.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It works in the beta version, not sure about the regular version.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Flipperwaldt posted:

I did this thing in the Firefox derivative Mull, but just nabbed someone else's collection that was in some other article that happened to have everything I wanted. But I still haven't seen anyone post in this thread whether it definitely works on vanilla non-nightly Firefox now.

That looks pretty simple. I have a Firefox account, so I should be able to make my own collection.

Thanks.

As someone in the comments of the link posted, I have no idea why Mozilla decided to restrict them so severely in the first place. This sort of thing is literally why people choose Firefox over the competitors.

edit: yep, all done, no worries. Thanks again.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 28, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

uBlock origin works on android version and that is all you need to block youtube ads.
But Android also has vanced and newpipe that in addition of blocking ads also have sponsorblock

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

LibreTube is another one that's pretty decent. Regular NewPipe doesn't have SponsorBlock, that's the NewPipe x SponsorBlock fork. Also Vanced is called ReVanced now, I think. The latter is the only one that will let you do stuff you need to be logged in for, if you care for that. All of it requires sideloading the app or going on alternative app stores like F-Droid, which isn't too big a deal. Otoh, I can see YouTube in browser working to satisfaction on a tablet with the right addons, unlike on a phone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks to Quackles for mentioning Vinegar, I've at least not had to deal with ads on YouTube on my iPhone.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there a way to disable that HTML (?) feature that tracks if the page/tab is in focus and being viewed? I remember finding out it's name a while back when I was puzzled at why certain youtube pages refused to play in the background, but I've since forgotten the name and can't seem to find it again.

I've already murdered a lot of functionality on my browser, so losing this won't change much except make my life easier as I've never noticed the feature except when used maliciously against the user.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Knormal posted:

What error does it give?

"The file could not be saved because you do not have the proper permissions. Choose another save directory."

It's not a snap package, it's the default KDE Neon install.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I may have complained here that my tampermonkey scripts don't work on sites that use a service worker (such as twitter). Well, I got them working by adding a
code:
// @sandbox     DOM
directive on the top comment block.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Serephina posted:

Is there a way to disable that HTML (?) feature that tracks if the page/tab is in focus and being viewed? I remember finding out it's name a while back when I was puzzled at why certain youtube pages refused to play in the background, but I've since forgotten the name and can't seem to find it again.

I've already murdered a lot of functionality on my browser, so losing this won't change much except make my life easier as I've never noticed the feature except when used maliciously against the user.

it's a JS event. Chrome has a simulate tab focus feature in dev tools but it looks like Firefox requires a user script or extension to do it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MikusR posted:

uBlock origin works on android version and that is all you need to block youtube ads.
But Android also has vanced and newpipe that in addition of blocking ads also have sponsorblock

Ublock Origin doesn't block YouTube ads for me, is there something I need to configure?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ublock Origin doesn't block YouTube ads for me, is there something I need to configure?

check the boxes for AdGuard & EasyList from the filter lists tab

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

check the boxes for AdGuard & EasyList from the filter lists tab

Thanks, and that works for mobile and desktop?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It just works out of the box for me everywhere I've ever installed it, without any modification of the default settings and lists.

If you're not on some lovely fork version just called uBlock or something and the add-on isn't deactivated for the YouTube website and you haven't been loving around unsubscribing from lists, I'd start looking what happens with a fresh Firefox profile or install and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm on Android Firefox nightly for developers and was able to add my collection!
However there is a plus next to each one and trying to install gets me "failed to install" on all of them.