Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

TyrantWD posted:

Also the reason they put out books and TV shows, and do all of this is to make money, because when they gave up their royal titles, they also gave up all of the benefits it comes with, and King Charles was funding their expenses out of his personal wealth. They are an actress from USA Network dramas, and a guy whose only experience outside the military is waving at people and shaking hands. They are not exactly going to fund their lifestyle by becoming chip engineers at Apple.

Oh won't someone think of the poor royals! They HAVE to write books and give interviews! (for their privacy) They can't work like us regular shlubs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's a funny idea but I doubt she's actually upset and overwhelmed by their portrayal and I'm sure Fox News is just using this because they love to throw shade at her expense.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

FilthyImp posted:

Like here, most people assume Harry has a pile of cash and a golden throne thanks to being Royalty. But they can't use their position to leverage high paying gigs which makes them pretty dependant on whatever stipend they get from appearances and ceremonial poo poo. He made some money while in the military, but most of the money he used to fund his getaway from the Crown was supplied by the inheritance his mom left him and Harry ($10M) and from Queen Elizabeth ($15-20M?). Minus a couple of million in debt they had to repay for home Reno and charitable foundation financials.

They could literally just buy property in a valuable market and rent it out for a tidy sum, if they wanted to have a private and financially secure lifestyle for the rest of their lives

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

most people assume Harry has a pile of cash

FilthyImp posted:

($15-20M?)

I think they'll be alright

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FilthyImp posted:

Maybe it's hard to find sympathy for them because of the fact they bought a 15M mansion out the gate and that they've had more money than most of us ever dream of.

Yeah, that'll do it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Casey Finnigan posted:

They could literally just buy property in a valuable market and rent it out for a tidy sum, if they wanted to have a private and financially secure lifestyle for the rest of their lives

Watching Harry on my cat-cam as he replaces batteries in the smoke detectors of the condo I rent from him and he's completely fumbling the whole thing like he's never seen a smoke detector in his entire life

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hey, if $15 mil's a pittance, can you Venmo it to me? Honestly only like, $11 mil. Bills, y'know, cat's been sick...

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
member when south park had celebertiy guest like george clooney as sparky the gay dog?

They should totally have meg on as a celeberity guest.

i understand they offered seinfield turkey number 2 for that thanks giving episode but his agent was like "NO HE NEEDS TO BE TURKEY NUMBER 1"

I miss chief

"GOD drat IT CHILDREN WHY DO YOU KEEP COMING TO ME WITH QUESTIONS I SHOULD BE ANSWERING! WHERES THE CLITORUS CHIEF? WHATS A LESBIAN CHIEF? WHY DO THEY CALL IT A RIMJOB CHIEF? CANT YOU JUST SAY HI CHIEF NICE DAY ISNT IT?"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When was the last time they actually had a celebrity guest voice on?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Season 21, season 20 if you want to count someone people know about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_Park_guest_stars?wprov=sfti1

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

drat, way more than I thought. I actually didn’t catch a lot of these.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm amazed that Bill Hader is like half of that list in the later seasons.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Ups_rail posted:

member when south park had celebertiy guest like george clooney as sparky the gay dog?

They should totally have meg on as a celeberity guest.

i understand they offered seinfield turkey number 2 for that thanks giving episode but his agent was like "NO HE NEEDS TO BE TURKEY NUMBER 1"

I miss chief

"GOD drat IT CHILDREN WHY DO YOU KEEP COMING TO ME WITH QUESTIONS I SHOULD BE ANSWERING! WHERES THE CLITORUS CHIEF? WHATS A LESBIAN CHIEF? WHY DO THEY CALL IT A RIMJOB CHIEF? CANT YOU JUST SAY HI CHIEF NICE DAY ISNT IT?"

i miss chief runs with premise too but you're quoting the wrong character. you're thinking of CHEF

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hard to get celebrities on to do a voice when you make episodes in 6 days. Scheduling is a real struggle.

Team America making GBS threads on the SAG and a bunch of celebrities probably also doesn't help.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Unsurprisingly, those claims about Harry & Meghan preparing to sue the show were probably entirely made up.

https://www.newsweek.com/why-prince-harry-meghan-markle-will-not-sue-south-park-lawsuit-1782414

Not that Newsweek is a much better source than some guy Fox News drummed up, of course, but there does seem to be an actual statement from someone who actually represents them, not a "royal commentator"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

He was in the writers room for a long time so it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. IMO Surprised he counts as a cameo

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ShoogaSlim posted:

i miss chief runs with premise too but you're quoting the wrong character. you're thinking of CHEF

drat

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hard to get celebrities on to do a voice when you make episodes in 6 days. Scheduling is a real struggle.

Team America making GBS threads on the SAG and a bunch of celebrities probably also doesn't help.

I read that Alec Baldwin was disappointed they didn't ask him to voice himself. I believe Matt Damon was ambivalent over his portrayal.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Weird for it not to mention the Killer Mike song in that same season 21 episode.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 23, 2023

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love that clip at the end of 6 Days To Air of him and Trey absolutely losing their poo poo in the recording booth.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm been really curious and confused as to the streaming rights of South Park (it's on Paramount+ and HBO Max) and this sheds some light on it. WB is suing Paramount over the whole thing.
https://www.avclub.com/heres-why-warner-bros-is-suing-the-south-park-guys-and-1850157440

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

Who, due to some savvy deal-making back in the very early days of the internet, get fully half of whatever streaming revenue the series picks up, an arrangement that has made both men billionaires.

Remember when they made that episode mocking the writer's strike and payment for internet content?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zero One posted:

Remember when they made that episode mocking the writer's strike and payment for internet content?

That episode aged about as well as their early global warming episodes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

South Park is on the wrong side of history kind of a lot.

Usually it's just in the way that most comedy ages poorly, but sometimes it's stuff that reminds you that it's made by 1%er Republicans.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

lol this doesn't actually mean anything. what's "a lot"? name examples other than global warming, which is a bad example anyway bc the way i see it, they were more making fun of al gore for turning environmental awareness into a personal brand to make a profit off of. not that global warming itself wasn't real.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

they were more making fun of al gore for turning environmental awareness into a personal brand to make a profit off of. not that global warming itself wasn't real.

I'm not gonna way in on the first half of the post, but regarding the quoted portion... I thought South Park's follow-up episodes with ManBearPig made it pretty clear that they once thought global warming wasn't a serious issue and had since changed their minds.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

lol this doesn't actually mean anything. what's "a lot"? name examples other than global warming, which is a bad example anyway bc the way i see it, they were more making fun of al gore for turning environmental awareness into a personal brand to make a profit off of. not that global warming itself wasn't real.
It does mean something. It means the thing I said.

They equated being trans to a person wanting to be a dolphin and a white kid wanting to be black. For which they also did blackface.

They do ridiculously racist Asian accents. Like, come on, yo. This poo poo ain't the right set of history.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It's all good, now we have PC Principal to show us the "right" way to think and act.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:jerkbag:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Thank you for the insightful hot takes on a 25 year old show that exists to take the piss out of anything and everything

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

It does mean something. It means the thing I said.

there are 317 episodes of south park. if each of them has 1 or 2 ideas in them that's 634 ideas. what does "a lot" mean in that context? half? more than half? 10%?

or bc you strongly disagree with, like, 4 things they've ever said you feel that it's enough to say they're wrong "a lot"?

it means nothing and it's a very cold take.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Usually it's just in the way that most comedy ages poorly, but sometimes it's stuff that reminds you that it's made by 1%er Republicans.

I rewatch the early episodes a lot because I like the general "kids goofing off and getting into trouble over their heads" vibe more, but man, some of those early "topics" episodes are criiiiiiinge. Just as an example, "Rainforest Shmainforest" is completely unwatchable now.

ShoogaSlim posted:

there are 317 episodes of south park. if each of them has 1 or 2 ideas in them that's 634 ideas. what does "a lot" mean in that context? half? more than half? 10%?

or bc you strongly disagree with, like, 4 things they've ever said you feel that it's enough to say they're wrong "a lot"?

it means nothing and it's a very cold take.

Keep earning that red text you loving idiot.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

"there's no such thing as sexual harassment or hate crimes" are a couple of their early hits

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:magemage: Cancel Southpark?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

McSpanky posted:

completely unwatchable now

you're an overly sensitive little bitch lol. stop watching the show altogether if you're this butthurt about a 24 year old episode of a cartoon satire.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

get madder about cartoon opinions

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

McSpanky posted:

get madder about cartoon opinions

who's mad in this scenario? the people raging against the creators of south park for being "cringe" or "on the wrong side of history" or me watching every episode and laughing at all the jokes bc i don't take it too seriously?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

who's mad in this scenario? the people raging against the creators of south park for being "cringe" or "on the wrong side of history" or me watching every episode and laughing at all the jokes bc i don't take it too seriously?

/

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

McSpanky posted:

I rewatch the early episodes a lot because I like the general "kids goofing off and getting into trouble over their heads" vibe more, but man, some of those early "topics" episodes are criiiiiiinge. Just as an example, "Rainforest Shmainforest" is completely unwatchable now.

Rainforest Shmainforest is still funny. The only message behind it is that Matt & Trey went to the rainforest and thought it totally sucked so they made the episode about how much their trip sucked.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Rainforest Shmainforest is still funny. The only message behind it is that Matt & Trey went to the rainforest and thought it totally sucked so they made the episode about how much their trip sucked.

Knowing that really doesn't change how the ep comes off super smug about how lame and pointless environmentalism is, which is a huge 😬nowadays (not to mention that the rainforest really was and is getting trashed at an epidemic rate, so, you know, they were just objectively wrong about not giving a poo poo). That "caring about stuff is for hypocrites and suckers" attitude the early show had that preceded their later-era libertarian both-sidesing is maybe an even uglier look in the modern era.

Of course this is the same show that would later go on to side with the chuds on the whole "woke = nothing can ever be funny, just take the stick out you liberal snowflakes" thing so I can guess what the responses to this criticism will be.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ShoogaSlim posted:

Well, I guess this is as good of a time as any to say I'm not a fan of how "Cripple Fight" has Big Gay Al turn to the camera and say that private organizations should be allowed to discriminate against minorities.