Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

The Ortlieb stuff I have has been *ridiculously* durable

I've only used it once really, but I got almost the whole ortlieb bikepacking setup and it's awesome. Super well designed and quality materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

This highly depends on the make of your hubs

Use the same hubs problem solved mostly

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

evil_bunnY posted:

Hoping that the dt370 hubs that are on the wheels that came with my bike will have identical spacing as some 350/240s when I get some road wheels.

I saw that you can get some little shims to make sure the disc rotor spacing is identical though

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
6 bolt is good like that. I used to have a second set of cheap rims with studded snow tires, used fine washers to space that set so the rotor had identical offset to the normal wheelset.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

bicycle

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im on the lookout to cop a second hand set of enve 5.6 rim brake wheels and level up my cervelo R5 to its final form

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have one set of wheels I swap between two bikes that both have wheel sets that only work on that bike.

Playing 'what combination of spacers will allow me to use all of these wheels without adjusting calipers' was fun :shepicide:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evil_bunnY posted:

If your hubs are a little out, you can get shims for your Centrelock or 6 bolt rotors and fix the difference pretty easily.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah, it's annoying once but definitely worth the time to shim everything so it matches.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We're doing a 40 mile ride tomorrow. Wife's riding her 700c Shimano 105 gravel bike, I'm going to ride my six speed Brompton. Should be interesting.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're doing a 40 mile ride tomorrow. Wife's riding her 700c Shimano 105 gravel bike, I'm going to ride my six speed Brompton. Should be interesting.

I remember my first 40-mile ride. I mean, it was only a couple years ago. It wasn't on a Shimano-105-equipped bike, but... it wasn't on a Brompton. I mean, it wasn't as nice a bike as a Brompton, but in terms of form factor, it was more suited to the job.

I'm sure you both know this, but just in case, I'll say this, since I'm faster than my wife on a bike unless she's trying to kill me on her electrical murderbike: when married couples ride together and one of them is much faster than the other for any reason (fitness level, equipment, etc.), the faster rider should take up the rear if the idea is to hang out during the ride. When I've done this, I find that riding on a gear that's at least a one or two higher than I'd normally use at that speed keeps me challenged and preserves the workout aspect of the ride. I don't get bored when I do that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm way faster than she is, I usually ride behind her.

The entire point of the exercise is to keep up with her on poo poo like this

https://alleghenylandtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/February-2021-Dead-Mans-Hollow-Trail-Map-Lores.pdf

This post will be extremely funny in five years when she's blowing me away and I'm a broken old man

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Ahhhh, gotcha.

Good luck!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are there bike clothing brands which make stuff for tall people? I am especially looking for like windbreakers and jackets, but also ideally suspender bibs since the suspender part gets sort of tight. Have learned that regular jackets get extremely flappy, now understand better why everyone goes for skintight everything.

Also jerseys are great I want this many pockets always.

E: critically, tall but not big and tall. Just average to a bit skinnier and tall.

tildes fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 26, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tarlibone posted:

I remember my first 40-mile ride. I mean, it was only a couple years ago. It wasn't on a Shimano-105-equipped bike, but... it wasn't on a Brompton. I mean, it wasn't as nice a bike as a Brompton, but in terms of form factor, it was more suited to the job.

I'm sure you both know this, but just in case, I'll say this, since I'm faster than my wife on a bike unless she's trying to kill me on her electrical murderbike: when married couples ride together and one of them is much faster than the other for any reason (fitness level, equipment, etc.), the faster rider should take up the rear if the idea is to hang out during the ride. When I've done this, I find that riding on a gear that's at least a one or two higher than I'd normally use at that speed keeps me challenged and preserves the workout aspect of the ride. I don't get bored when I do that.

This is weird advice and entirely inconsistent with my experience riding with my wife. Why would you make the weaker rider pull the entire way?
The only way that makes sense is if the stronger rider is super inexperienced and can't tell if their pacing is bad.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

bicievino posted:

This is weird advice and entirely inconsistent with my experience riding with my wife. Why would you make the weaker rider pull the entire way?
The only way that makes sense is if the stronger rider is super inexperienced and can't tell if their pacing is bad.

Because then the slower rider can set the pace, and I imagine they probably not riding close enough to really draft anyways?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tildes posted:

Are there bike clothing brands which make stuff for tall people? I am especially looking for like windbreakers and jackets, but also ideally suspender bibs since the suspender part gets sort of tight. Have learned that regular jackets get extremely flappy, now understand better why everyone goes for skintight everything.

E: critically, tall but not big and tall. Just average to a bit skinnier and tall.

How tall are you and are you all leg or all torso? Waist size?

Imo depending on your size you can get by with a lot of normal brands but I think the black bibs has more options

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Likely not close nor fast enough. I think there's a huge disparity of rider performance levels on this forum and people lose sight of that a lot.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

How tall are you and are you all leg or all torso? Waist size?

Imo depending on your size you can get by with a lot of normal brands but I think the black bibs has more options

I'm in a similar boat - do you have recommendations for 6'7", 38" inseam, 36" waist? Also a pretty long torso - most regular shirts are too short.

I've found that the suspenders really dig in on the couple I've tried, but I haven't tried that many.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
The Black Bibs has a couple Tall versions. No experience with either of them though, their normal $40 bibs work for me at 6'4"

https://theblackbibs.com/collections/mens-bottoms/products/copy-of-the-black-bibs-plus-long-inseam

https://theblackbibs.com/collections/mens-bottoms/products/the-black-bibs-ultimate-tall

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

You know, you can just say that you think my pacing is bad because I'm super-inexperienced. Seriously, just come out and say what you think; this is just silly. But if you're actually interested, read on.

I got into cycling because the gym was closed, so my initial experiences came from a place more in the mind of weight-lifting. I concede that I'm inexperienced and have a bad pace. My longest ride is only 65 miles.

Anyway, my wife's got RA, and in the last couple of years, it's gotten much worse, impacting her ability to ride due to back, shoulder, and knee pain. The problem with me leading is that I have trouble hearing things behind and/or to the left of me, so I can leave her behind easily if I'm not careful because I might not hear her telling me to slow down. It's happened. But more importantly, she told me that she doesn't like staring at my back for the whole ride. It reminds her that she hasn't been able to keep up with me because of the RA. It doesn't matter that it's not her fault; this bothers her. By having her lead, I can't possibly leave her behind, and we have a more enjoyable ride. With creative gearing choices, I can still have a challenging ride.

All of that said, she also likes making me work. She got an e-bike last year. It's a Schwinn, and it's built for commuting in a comfortable position, and in "light' mode, she can do rides of up to around 25-30 miles at a relaxed but not slow pace. We did one last year like that, and we had a blast. Sometimes, though, she suggests a 10-mile-or-so route and takes that bike. On those days, I know I need to grab my road bike, because she's going to set the assist mode on a higher level.

She leads on those rides because I can't take the lead. Those are true workouts.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tildes posted:

Endura stuff is long, has longer than usual arms, and the bib shorts have an extra length leg option for extremely long legged people. The Pro SL level is worth it.

Sizing is a touch more generous than many Euro cycling brands in general, even their pro stuff.

Castelli & Sportful stuff (sister brands) is on the other side of fit, normally feels a size smaller than other brands. But in large enough sizes the length is fine for taller people, bib shorts and jackets.

In general bibs with separate elastic straps not made of the same material as the shorts (usually white) seem to have a lot more stretch for body length.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tarlibone posted:

You know, you can just say that you think my pacing is bad because I'm super-inexperienced. Seriously, just come out and say what you think; this is just silly. But if you're actually interested, read on.

I got into cycling because the gym was closed, so my initial experiences came from a place more in the mind of weight-lifting. I concede that I'm inexperienced and have a bad pace. My longest ride is only 65 miles.

Anyway, my wife's got RA, and in the last couple of years, it's gotten much worse, impacting her ability to ride due to back, shoulder, and knee pain. The problem with me leading is that I have trouble hearing things behind and/or to the left of me, so I can leave her behind easily if I'm not careful because I might not hear her telling me to slow down. It's happened. But more importantly, she told me that she doesn't like staring at my back for the whole ride. It reminds her that she hasn't been able to keep up with me because of the RA. It doesn't matter that it's not her fault; this bothers her. By having her lead, I can't possibly leave her behind, and we have a more enjoyable ride. With creative gearing choices, I can still have a challenging ride.

All of that said, she also likes making me work. She got an e-bike last year. It's a Schwinn, and it's built for commuting in a comfortable position, and in "light' mode, she can do rides of up to around 25-30 miles at a relaxed but not slow pace. We did one last year like that, and we had a blast. Sometimes, though, she suggests a 10-mile-or-so route and takes that bike. On those days, I know I need to grab my road bike, because she's going to set the assist mode on a higher level.

She leads on those rides because I can't take the lead. Those are true workouts.

The thing I took issue with in your post was that you generalized your experience to be a universal truth, kinda like I did.
I'm glad you've found a fun way to ride with your wife that works for you both. It sounds like what you're doing makes a lot of sense for your situation, but it's far from a set of situations that applies to "whenever married couples ride together and one is faster for any reason".

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tildes posted:

Because then the slower rider can set the pace, and I imagine they probably not riding close enough to really draft anyways?

Assuming that slower riders aren't experienced enough to draft is weird.
People might not be able to go as fast as their partner for a wide variety of reasons, either health related or just not having the time to ride much. Doesn't mean anything about whether or not they can draft well.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
My wife and I take both styles when riding together. On the road I'll usually lead and have her draft me. When we're riding on soft trails she leads and sets the pace. Either way, it's really about communication and using what works for you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Slavvy posted:

Likely not close nor fast enough. I think there's a huge disparity of rider performance levels on this forum and people lose sight of that a lot.
I used to go out and do metric just because it was Saturday. Now I couldn't ride a half metric full stop. It's not just between riders.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

:hmmyes:

A long weekend (happy 105th birthday Estonia!) got me to do three ~3-hourish ~50kmish morning rides.
https://i.imgur.com/Gz4m5N2.mp4
Plenty of fresh snow with varying road conditions so yeah, not the fastest riding. At least the smallest chainring got a good workout.

I'd like to have that kind of weather right now (but maybe not ride directly into the sea?)

Fun story about this one: was happily riding along a MUP near the sea at 9 in the morning when two happy old ladies wave me down - to tell me that some guy is building this awesome snow castle thing, just off the path.
Thanks ladies, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise!

Soviet-era nuclear rocket storage facility

Not to bring back the nutrition discussion but my go-to is the humble apple. Eaten in a tunnel to shelter from the "feels like -14c" weather.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It’s worth noting that aero benefits are pretty noticeable even at 13mph, and that also applies to drafting. Depending on the size of the person in front, you can probably still feel the benefit of drafting at that speed from around 5-6 feet back.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Angryhead posted:

:hmmyes:

A long weekend (happy 105th birthday Estonia!) got me to do three ~3-hourish ~50kmish morning rides.
https://i.imgur.com/Gz4m5N2.mp4

What tyre setup are you using for conditions like this? I need a snow-capable setup but I'm always wary of the potential for a small patch of ice on an otherwise nice solid snow base to gently caress my day up, is that something you run into often or am I just being a massive babby?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Sweet, ty! I'll try them out.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Looking at buying a couple bikes for me and my partner. Trails around me are combo of pavement and crushed limestone. Does that put us in the cyclocross territory as stated by the OP? Most people I’ve talked to here are into Hybrids. Is $700 an OK price range for a bike like that?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Angryhead posted:

Not to bring back the nutrition discussion but my go-to is the humble apple. Eaten in a tunnel to shelter from the "feels like -14c" weather.

You make cycling on snow look like a lot of fun. I'd be scared that I'd skid right off the trail into the ditch or creek. But, we tend to get less snow pack, and ice is a lot more common, so that might just be something I have to consider in my area.

That said, Team Apple The Fruit Not The Electronics Company here, checking in. I love apples. I've spent some time with the more recent cultivars, like the Honeycrisp®, but for my money, you just can't beat a Fuji. They are great to bring on a ride.

EDIT because I am a dumb poster sometimes (or sometimes I'm not, depending on your perspective):

bicievino posted:

The thing I took issue with in your post was that you generalized your experience to be a universal truth, kinda like I did.
I'm glad you've found a fun way to ride with your wife that works for you both. It sounds like what you're doing makes a lot of sense for your situation, but it's far from a set of situations that applies to "whenever married couples ride together and one is faster for any reason".

Yeah, sorry about the tone of that post. Believe it or not, that was an edited version. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way at that moment, and it came out in the post.

But, I still think that when two people are riding in a group and one will be significantly slower than the other for whatever reason--health or equipment--then if you're just out having fun, let the slower person set the pace out front. They'll set the pace no matter what position they're in, but having them up front guarantees that your little group stays together. I don't think drafting is going to matter much in these kinds of cases because the differences in best average speed are too great for drafting to compensate.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 26, 2023

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Vando posted:

What tyre setup are you using for conditions like this? I need a snow-capable setup but I'm always wary of the potential for a small patch of ice on an otherwise nice solid snow base to gently caress my day up, is that something you run into often or am I just being a massive babby?
I'm currently running a Schwalbe Winter with 120 spikes up front and a "regular" MTB tire in the back (Schwalbe Smart Sam IIRC)
This results in some fishtailing from time-to-time when going over ice patches or braking at the wrong time, but it's been manageable.
Gotta take it carefully when cornering - but at least snow will soften any falls!

IMO having spikes on at least the front is a must if you're riding in mixed conditions like this. Depends on your skill level and goals though. I'm just doing this for fun and not necessarily looking to go fast (especially in the winter!).
It started snowing here in mid-November and since then I've ridden about 3000km, I started off with both tires being studded but switched to another bike and only put the one in front about ~700km ago and it's treated me well.
I'm much more wary of semi-loose snow ruts than ice - studded tires do wonders.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Vando posted:

We get similar conditions in winter and with snow like that I never feel I need studs. 42mm gravelking sk has worked for me for the past three years but I've managed with some skinny cyclocross knobbies in the past too.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tarlibone posted:

But, I still think that when two people are riding in a group and one will be significantly slower than the other for whatever reason--health or equipment--then if you're just out having fun, let the slower person set the pace out front. They'll set the pace no matter what position they're in, but having them up front guarantees that your little group stays together. I don't think drafting is going to matter much in these kinds of cases because the differences in best average speed are too great for drafting to compensate.

I think it's good advice for cyclists who don't have experience drafting.
If you've never felt how powerful that can be, I get the surprise. Even with very wide differences in strength, experienced but slower riders benefit tremendously from drafting. Being a good leader is a skill, too - practicing checking how the slower rider is keeping up, communicating, moderating any acceleration, being a steady and consistent wheel so that the rider behind feels safe to draft closely. Using a mirror can help to learn.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I do need to get a mirror.

I'm pretty much embracing how ridiculous I am since spandex doesn't look bad on me. The white in the 'stache and beard add to the complete picture: I am a MAMIL and not even smart enough to be offended by the term. So, for me, would one of those helmet-mounted mirrors be the way to go? Does anyone use those?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This might be more gizmo than you're after but I got an older version of these Garmin Varia tail lights and I love it. When a car is coming it makes my bike computer beep and I get a little indicator of how far behind me it is. It can even see multiple cars in most cases. Definitely makes me more confident out on the road.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tarlibone posted:

I'm pretty much embracing how ridiculous I am since spandex doesn't look bad on me. The white in the 'stache and beard add to the complete picture: I am a MAMIL and not even smart enough to be offended by the term. So, for me, would one of those helmet-mounted mirrors be the way to go? Does anyone use those?

I've used this one. https://takealookactive.com/product/original-mirror/
It was easy to position, and I liked not having to permanently attach something to my helmet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Ahem

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Lmao

More Fred than u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
got my brompton delivered (came a few days early while the tracking still said "waiting to ship," that's the lasership magic! very glad i happened to go out to take out trash and saw a box with a giant bike drawing sitting on my apartment porch before uh anyone else did)

seems to work ok! it came with a chain that i think is waxed or something (it's slick but doesn't leave any black grease on my hand?). weirdly it doesn't come with the hand pump installed on the frame with the holder, and it seems annoying enough to install i'm not sure if i'm going to bother (i carry co2 carts in my bike bag anyways). will check torque values, though my torque wrench only goes up to 10nm so won't be able to check everything i guess