Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It has come up with a lot of these old family recipes that a lot of them are extremely obtuse because they're more personal notes than anything and may obliquely reference specific brands, specific utensils and cookware in their personal kitchen, and a specific kind of figs from a friend's tree or something. Not impossible to figure out but can require some experimentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It has come up with a lot of these old family recipes that a lot of them are extremely obtuse because they're more personal notes than anything and may obliquely reference specific brands, specific utensils and cookware in their personal kitchen, and a specific kind of figs from a friend's tree or something. Not impossible to figure out but can require some experimentation.

Yeah I love reading old recipes like this. "Cut the pastry into rounds ... what do you mean, what kind of pastry?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shithouse Dave posted:

She passed this January, and my aunts put the recipe on the back of the funeral programme.

That's lovely. Not the recipe, but the thought.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

8one6 posted:

The terrible secret of Tollhouse!

This is where my brain went to as well

Relevant part starts at 2:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kb5xzKVZxA

Pomme de Terror fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 26, 2023

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Every Friday, from when they moved in together after granddad returned from ww2, until my he died at 87 years old, my nana would cook a roast on the coal range, with extra fat, then Saturday morning she would fry homemade bread in the leftover fat, sprinkle it with sugar and that was their breakfast.

She made a lot of other amazing stuff, but that was the one that sticks in my mind. So goddamn tasty, but I have no idea how they lived that long

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

carrionman posted:

So goddamn tasty, but I have no idea how they lived that long

You'd stick it out another week to get Saturday breakfast again. That's just so wrong for so many reasons, but so, so right in so many more.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for giving a DNA test to my husband as a gift not realizing the shitstorm it would cause.

quote:

I'm going to make this as short and nonspecific as possible.

I gave my husband a DNA testing kit for Christmas. I didn't know that the company shares that information with law enforcement.

My brother-in-law has been arrested in connection with a long string of crimes.

My in-laws are all upset with me because I guess everyone except me and my husband knew his brother was a degenerate.

I was just trying to do something nice but now everyone is mad at us.

She never gets specific, but in the comments it comes out that poop is involved so I think "shitstorm" is a good word for it!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
A life in prison. The gift that keeps on giving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the feeling everyone is better off not knowing the details.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

A life in prison. The gift that keeps on giving.

Probably not life. If I had to guess I’d say the brother has been repeatedly pooping somewhere as a joke.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
DON'T DO ANY MATH :siren:

AITA for hiding my stepdaughters toy?

quote:

I'm 21f, my stepdaughter, Rose, is 6. Her dad is completely on my side here, as is her mother. Its the grandparents and a stranger who think I'm in the wrong.

My partner and I bring rose and my daughter, 18mo, to the park every Saturday and Sunday when it's our week with her. Rose throws a tantrum every single week because she wants to bring toys to the park, but she's really careless with her toys so normally she's not allowed. Today she begged and pleaded and refused to leave the house until she was let bring a toy, she was screaming so much she made herself sick.

She was let bring a Princess Peach Teddy in the end, and she promised she'd look after it. Rose was playing with the trddy, and she kept leaving it down while running off to play with other kids, which she was specifically instructed not to do. She was also told not to bring a toy she's not okay with losing, and she brought one of her favourite toys instead.

I told my partner that it was going to end up going missing, and after a quick discussion, we decided it'd be best that I pick up the toy and hide it from her, that way no other child would pick it up and steal it, and she'd learn her lesson at the same time. Another parent saw me pick up the toy.

It took Rose a good 10 minutes to notice, and when she did, she was inconsolable. Her favourite toy was missing. She even started being nasty to other kids around the place, throwing her jacket, all that jazz. We tried telling her to calm down, we'd find it, etc etc etc. She went around looking for it and the mother who saw me take the toy interjected and told me it was cruel to do that to Rose, since she's only a kid and kids make mistakes.

I told her that we did it because Rose was careless with a toy she promised she'd look after, after throwing a tantrum to have it here with her. After 10 more minutes of inconsolable Rose and searching, we pulled out peach and explained to Rose why we did what we did. She was angry at us, but I think the lesson was learned.

When we got home, she told my partners parents and they're livid with us for upsetting Rose that way, over a simple toy, since if it had really gone missing she would've learned anyways. AITA?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Good job capitulating to a kid having a tantrum. The stepkid sounds like a nightmare, though letting her freak out for ten minutes is WILD. It's like all parenting is being done in the wrong directions.

And OOF that math took me a second.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yes your daughter learned not to trust you, great job

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pirate Radar posted:

Probably not life. If I had to guess I’d say the brother has been repeatedly pooping somewhere as a joke.

I’m guessing it wasn’t a toilet or we wouldn’t be here.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m guessing it wasn’t a toilet or we wouldn’t be here.
Toilet display at the Home Depot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

wheatpuppy posted:

Toilet display at the Home Depot.

(everything to do with it)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Midnight Voyager posted:

Good job capitulating to a kid having a tantrum. The stepkid sounds like a nightmare, though letting her freak out for ten minutes is WILD. It's like all parenting is being done in the wrong directions.

And OOF that math took me a second.

Passive-aggressive bullying is the best way to parent, right?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Yeah, we got a serial pooper here. Real sick gently caress. bastard likes to toy with his poo poo. Life in prison is too good for this sicko.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, if he was going all Mr. Potato Head with it, would you keep inviting him to Thanksgiving?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for giving a DNA test to my husband as a gift not realizing the shitstorm it would cause.

She never gets specific, but in the comments it comes out that poop is involved so I think "shitstorm" is a good word for it!

lmao the cowardly and stupid as gently caress reddit mods have removed the post for "no interpersonal conflict", a post that literally contains the words "my in-laws are all upset with me"

quote:

This post violates Rule 7: There is no interpersonal conflict here for our community to make a judgment about.

Most DNA evidence never even gets tested, so the fact that an arrest was made over a string of poop-related crimes suggests to me that those crimes were high-profile.

Guy must have been a real D.B. Pooper

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mx. posted:

AITA for invading someone’s personal space?

Not all heroes wear capes

People who use loud speech or blast music etc from their phones in public can get into the sea.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 26, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

I mean, if he was going all Mr. Potato Head with it, would you keep inviting him to Thanksgiving?

Where else am I supposed to get enough corn for the cornbread stuffing?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

QuarkJets posted:

D.B. Pooper

How does nobody have this as a username? :allears:

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

When she was 11, my older sister took off a new ring and set it on the bumper of my dad's car so she could help him in the yard. That evening she remembered, but it was lost. She cried for days. My mom would bring up her lack of responsibility over the incident for years.

Fast forward to a few years ago. We are going through my parents belongings after my dad's death. At the bottom of a jewelry box, my sister finds the ring. I guess my mom took it for a "lesson", but forgot about it. Even after all these decades, my sister was pissed. We had to stop for the day at that point.

At least OP's stepkid got her toy back in less than 40 years.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for offending my best friend's sister?

quote:

I (23f) sort of have a crush on my best friend's (John 23m) sister, Lyla (20f). John is aware of this and doesn't mind at all, in fact he wants me to pursue her. Lyla is a sweet girl. She's an amazing cook and artist. We have a lot of in-depth, interesting conversations. And she loves to game; she's kicked my rear end in video games almost all the time. I want to have a relationship with Lyla since I'm pretty sure she likes me too, but there's only one thing that's a dealbreaker. Lyla is obese, she's 175lbs at 5'3. It's quite noticable and while she has a pretty face and she's well-endowed, I can't get over her stretch mark, stomach, and fat thighs.

I was torn on telling John this because he wants us to get together badly, and I do want to date Lyla, but her weight makes it hard. I ended up trying to convince her to join me at the gym sometimes (as friends of course) but she declined because she has work, which is fair. Over the years I've known Lyla, she has always been overweight and it really blocks my feelings for her. I wanted to tell John, but I thought it was best I tell Lyla first.

Lyla and I were texting and I asked if she liked me. She said yes. I was happy but then remembered her weight, and let up some ground rules. I tried being as blunt as possible while also being nice. Here's what I said:

"Hey, I really like you. You're an amazing person and an amazing girl. I'd love for you to be my girlfriend. And I think you're beautiful, but I'd really prefer for us to get together if you were thinner. I think attraction is very important in a relationship and I wouldn't want to date someone I'm not attracted to. But I love your personality and I want us to be together if you decide to become thinner."

I thought this was nice and to the point, and it might be a good motive for her to work out and better her health.

But it wasn't.

She texted back calling me surprisingly shallow and that she isn't going to lose weight for me. I didn't know how to respond so I left it off for tomorrow, and I woke up with texts from John cussing me out and calling an rear end in a top hat who offended his sister. I wasn't trying to be harsh, and I left it as a choice for her but I guess it wasn't enough. Now I think they both hate me. Was I wrong here?

Neither of my parents thought I handled it well. Some friends said she needed to hear the truth. AITA?

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

blackmet posted:

AITA for trying to restrict the number of children’s baths??

In Europe, is this very normal?

In the last year or so, yes. Gas prices in some areas have quadrupled or more and electric has doubled.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

I can't get over her stretch mark, stomach, and fat thighs.

Does she think stretch marks go away if you lose weight? LOL.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Pretty good chance recipe guy's sister married the wrong race and they've been looking for a chance to punish her for it for a while, especially since he seems angry at his nephew for existing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Evil Willow posted:

Lyla is sweet, can cook, is a great artist, has deep discussions, crushes at games, and has a powerful spine. gently caress yeah, Lyla.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Evil Willow posted:

We've all said dumb poo poo as teenag - oh. Twenty three you say? Oh well, into the vat.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
hell yeah Lyla, wish I had that strength at that age

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
175 at 5'3 is not even that big. Like a UK size 12, maybe 14 in some stores.

Good luck thicc thigh whipsmart gamer artist lady. Congratulations on your spine.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

op does not deserve Lyla, away with you

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pirate Radar posted:

If it's serious enough that they took the time to DNA profile it and set it up for alerts my guess is something along the lines of smearing poo poo on public handles or like throwing it at the mayor's house or something. That the family don't seem to care leads me to believe it's some kind of grudge which they actually agree with.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe he was sending people bags of poo poo in the mail.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Maybe he was sending people bags of poo poo in the mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_F_e4Bznzk
serially, for decades, ultimately causing multiple old men to keel over

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s hand delivering flaming bags of poo poo to someone’s doorstep, completely different thing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

That’s hand delivering flaming bags of poo poo to someone’s doorstep, completely different thing.

yes, that is in fact was what I was suggesting in contrast

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah well your suggestion sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

No fighting in the relating thread! You're tearing this family apart!