Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Atomic Heart is fuckin dope. It looks absolutely gorgeous, the soundtrack is nothing but nonstop bangers, and it plays wonderfully. I know some people were worried about bullet sponge enemies, but I haven’t run into that. You do have to upgrade your guns regularly though, so maybe if you’re not doing that things get tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I don't really agree with this. Elden Ring obviously takes a lot of inspiration from BOTW, but they do things pretty differently. Elden Ring is better in the dungeon dept, but in a lot of ways I think BOTW handles exploration better. ER feels better to play just because Dark Souls combat feels better than Zelda to begin with. I think the sense of discovery in BOTW has more depth than ER does. I still think it's the best exploration game ever.

They're certainly aiming at different targets with their exploration, BotW offers freedom with the glider and climbing while ER offers challenge and intrigue. But ER did a few things that BotW could've done to make me enjoy exploration more. A key one was giving me significant gameplay and narrative rewards for exploring. Anywhere you go in ER you're often finding a unique item of some sort, and if it's not useful to your build it still has a crumb of lore attached to it. BotW's degradation mechanic was really there so the game could give you the same weapons over and over and call it a reward. And I need more enemy and boss variety. ER has tons of it with minimal copy paste. I will be bummed if TotK isn't improved on those points.

This one's a little unfair because the complaint boils down to I like souls and Zelda isn't souls. But you just can't beat that souls world design. ER is denser and more varied, and has the typical Fromsoft sense of history and purpose. BotW's world was gorgeous and fun to explore, but it wasn't slathered with narrative. BotW has these rare moments like finding the ruins of Lon Lon Ranch or the giant statue from Skyward Sword. ER's world has a rich backstory that doesn't rely on familiarity with past games and it's littered with moments like that.

What BotW achieved that ER didn't is making the world joyful to explore through fun mechanics. Climbing and gliding are empowering and satisfying, shield surfing and sand skiing are fun, horse riding is conveniently easy. I think TotK is guaranteed to nail flying and free falling, no one ever says anything bad about that part of Skyward Sword. I'm looking forward to exploring with confidence, on a triumphant hero's journey. I just need a better reason to explore all the little corners of the world than a samey miniboss and yet another inventory management hassle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

How so? BotW’s exploration always felt kinda sparse and dull to me, but I loved checking every nook and cranny of ER.

I'm always confused when people say it's sparse, cause I felt like there rarely wasn't something to find in spitting distance.

In ER you basically just have all sorts of cool places to check out and stumble across, but BOTW makes you earn them. So often that game requires you to be just a bit clever to get anything done. You stumble on something that might do something and you don't know what it is yet, so you have to figure it out. Even the tiniest things have this cryptic puzzle element to them which I found super satisfying.

To be clear I don't think Elden Ring needs to be that and I think it's good as is. But there are a lot of things that BOTW does differently that I found to be just as good or better. If there was a gun to my head and I had to choose between the two, it would be Elden Ring. But I don't agree with the sentiment that ER just went and did everything BOTW did better. I think it bumps it out because the dungeon game was more on point and Dark Souls combat is better than Zelda. But I still think they are neck and neck for some of the best games ever made.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's clear that ER had a profound effect on TotK's development. The first footage we got was "BotW 1.5" with identical minions, identical maps and "elevator up" islands instead of "elevator down" shrines. It was very uninspiring footage. The nature of Nintendo being incrementalist and not needing to innovate (since fans will love what they get regardless of what they get) and the power of the Switch meant they probably wanted to just Splatoon 3 the the BotW series (i.e. very small changes to basically the same game- maybe revamping cooking, maybe adding a few new bosses, keeping the crappy weapon durability system), but ultimately changed course with events like ER development and release and showed what deep, passionate world building meant. For all it does right, and BotW is one of my top 5 favorite titles of all time, exploration was both a strong point and a weak point. While playing you think "this is great" but a year later you return and say "wow, nothing there, nothing there, can't interact with any of that, nothing in this house, nothing in that entire mountain range." BotW exploration was almost like a neglectful parent, that when they finally show up to one of your events you're so ecstatic something occurred that you forget all the miscues and missed opportunities.

So in short you have a backward view that I have of these two great games. ER made the world joyful to explore because it was so, so, so full. Every corner a secret, every nook and cranny an opportunity. Mobility is frequently cited as a defining characteristic of why BotW was excellent but that, to me, is overstated. There needs to be a purpose to it, and BotW more often than not gave us no reason for it. Mobility was often just "a thing you could do." You never needed a horse. You never needed to shield slide. You never needed to use your abilities to super jump into a glide. It was just there. You sometimes needed to climb but not really. I think someone actually beat the game without ever jumping, right (edit- this was actually mario odyssey lol but still)?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 26, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I like that it starts lightly raining after you beat Morgott and just stays that way until you leave the capital

Elden Ring!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

botw is an okay skyrim clone, too bad the zelda people will just make exact copies of it for another 13 years until people will up the courage to call it mid again

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My issue with the exploration in BOTW is that 99% of all roads led to the same thing, a shrine.

At least in ER all the random hidden subdungeons and stuff will give you a unique spell, weapon, ash summon etc, its the unknown and sense of discovery that for me at least kept me going.

I remember the moment BOTW lost the magic for me, when I found some temple hidden in some jungle forest (i think?) biome off the beaten path. It looked really cool but there was nothing in it. Like two treasure chests with random uninteresting loot, and a giant empty space meant for a shrine to appear if I did some nearby puzzle. Then I realized that literally everything is just That.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Motto posted:

botw is an okay skyrim clone

what da

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Phenotype posted:

This did it! Took a break and hunted a monster in MHW, fed the dog and cat and ate a bite myself, came back and got him on the second try. I hope I find a blacksmith soon because I nearly ground my Kirkhammer to a stub fighting him, it's at like 80/250 durability. I swapped to the Hunter Axe tonight since it did more damage in fast mode, but I would have been forced to swap pretty soon anyway :v:

Thank you all for the moral support! :)
There are no blacksmiths in BB. Go to the dream, and use the weapons table to repair AND upgrade.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My issue with the exploration in BOTW is that 99% of all roads led to the same thing, a shrine.

At least in ER all the random hidden subdungeons and stuff will give you a unique spell, weapon, ash summon etc, its the unknown and sense of discovery that for me at least kept me going.

I remember the moment BOTW lost the magic for me, when I found some temple hidden in some jungle forest (i think?) biome off the beaten path. It looked really cool but there was nothing in it. Like two treasure chests with random uninteresting loot, and a giant empty space meant for a shrine to appear if I did some nearby puzzle. Then I realized that literally everything is just That.

yeah basically

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The spectre of Todd Howard haunts this forum

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's funny how reviewers just openly say they don't actually like zelda games but feel obligated to give them 10/10s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Have you seen what happens when you give one an 8.8

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TotK is probably going to be delayed again beyond May, because of ER causing elevated expectations for exploration and world building. I'd actually bet on it since the first delay seemed so obvious.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hate the exploration in BotW because the Switch wasn't powerful enough to handle the game, and the pop in was ridiculous.

From atop this tower, I see nothing but open fields between me and my next point of interest. Then, as I glide to my destination, entire forests pop in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

What BotW achieved that ER didn't is making the world joyful to explore through fun mechanics. Climbing and gliding are empowering and satisfying, shield surfing and sand skiing are fun, horse riding is conveniently easy. I think TotK is guaranteed to nail flying and free falling, no one ever says anything bad about that part of Skyward Sword. I'm looking forward to exploring with confidence, on a triumphant hero's journey. I just need a better reason to explore all the little corners of the world than a samey miniboss and yet another inventory management hassle.

But they aren't just empowering, they can be challenging/engaging too. Climbing is very simple and straight forward, but a lot of places aren't accessible on a straight climb so you really have to plan the right path, maybe even pack some buffs. The fun of it isn't that you can climb on anything. It's that you can climb on anything until your stamina runs out, which means cliffs can be a problem to solve in itself. In Elden Ring you find things by either just walking up them and taking them, or taking them after you kill the enemy guarding them. You traverse up mountains via preset horse turbo boosts etc. and That's pretty much it in ER. In BOTW you might see a slide carved into the rock in the side of a hill with a hole at the bottom. Then you go "hmm I wonder if there is anything around I can roll down that" Then you find something and sure enough you get a reward. There's stuff like that littered everywhere and there's a lot of variety to it. ER going from point A to point B is just going there, and probably killing some enemies. BOTW point a to point B could be all sorts of things but it usually requires something from the player. And it never holds your hand. This stuff is often easy, but it does require you to constantly engage with the world in a more intimate way that Elden Ring doesn't really offer.

I remember playing and being like 50 hours in and I needed a cricket. I thought "I have never seen a cricket in this drat game once. Where am I going to find one?" But instead of feeling the need to hit up a wiki my first thought was, they'd probably be in the grass so I went to the nearest field and ran around until sure enough I hear a cricket chirping. Better chop the crass down and guess what's jumping around waiting to be picked up? That's how I found out BOTW had crickets in it. The whole game is this really well thought out ecosystem that's constantly encouraging the player to figure out the next step on their own. By comparison Elden Ring is much more straight forward, but I also felt the need to consult wikis for hours. Never felt that with BOTW.

That's not a knock on Fromsofts world design because they are one of the best in that dept. Nobody does cool labyrinths better. it's just a different approach, but BOTW is much deeper in how it handles moment to moment exploration. I also just think the overworld is just way better to explore than Elden RIng's. When it comes to Dungeons Elden Ring mops the floor with BOTW though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

Have you seen what happens when you give one an 8.8

That was, in hindsight, an extremely generous score for Twilight Princess

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

There is virtually nothing in BotW where climbing becomes a puzzle to solve anything or get to anywhere. Virtually everywhere is accessible by a full stamina bar or eating stamina food or doesn’t require it at all. I think you’re really overstating the importance of mobility in BotW beyond being neat.

And to say there wasn’t “cut the grass for crickets” type novelties in ER is odd. It’s particularly odd when things like cooking are completely useless outside of a few recipes that dominate all other recipes or armor sets and upgrades that dominate all others. Stuff in BotW was there to be neat, not necessary or useful or even that interesting per se.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't say BOTW was perfect. I have issues with it. But overworld exploration in ER is very basic compared to all the stuff you can do in BOTW and I'm responding to a post that said that ER did everything better than BOTW. I think BOTW handles certain things in a more interesting way than ER does.

BOTW has a cool open world. Elden Ring has a meh open world that connects a whole lot of cool dark souls stuff. Also for all the critisms people are leveraging against BOTW for too much boring stuff to find for crafting recipes, are you forgetting that Elden Ring might have more useless crafting crap than any game? I don't think I felt the desire to craft more than 5 things in 130 hours of Elden Ring and theres a flower or rock to pick up that does virtually nothing every 5 feet.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 26, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like both elden ring and BoTW for pretty similar reasons, I think there is allowed to be more than one good game

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's weird to compare them, the games have a very different design ethos. All you're doing by comparing them is exclaiming your personal preferences.

That said, both of them suck rear end.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shammypants posted:

TotK is probably going to be delayed again beyond May, because of ER causing elevated expectations for exploration and world building. I'd actually bet on it since the first delay seemed so obvious.

this is cope

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the funniest totk outcome would it really turning out to be glorified $70 DLC and the only reason it took so long is that nintendo's asset farms were busy with other games

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sammus posted:

Atomic Heart is fuckin dope. It looks absolutely gorgeous, the soundtrack is nothing but nonstop bangers, and it plays wonderfully. I know some people were worried about bullet sponge enemies, but I haven’t run into that. You do have to upgrade your guns regularly though, so maybe if you’re not doing that things get tough.

It really is surprisingly good!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

This did it! Took a break and hunted a monster in MHW, fed the dog and cat and ate a bite myself, came back and got him on the second try. I hope I find a blacksmith soon because I nearly ground my Kirkhammer to a stub fighting him, it's at like 80/250 durability. I swapped to the Hunter Axe tonight since it did more damage in fast mode, but I would have been forced to swap pretty soon anyway :v:

Thank you all for the moral support! :)

Congratulations!!! You are a true hunter now.

Noticed someone saying you had to go into the inventory to change weapons in BotW and that isn’t the case at all? There’s like a quick weapon change thing for swords, shields, and bows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also TotK isn’t getting delayed they doubled down on the planned release date just recently and I think Elden Ring came out too late in its development for it to have any substantial impact and also:

Augus posted:

I like both elden ring and BoTW for pretty similar reasons, I think there is allowed to be more than one good game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am going to be playing Breath of the Wild later in the year after Twilight Princess while Link to the Past is my current game. I am zeldering. :hai:

Also congrats for beating Father G!! He took me around 75 (seventy five) attempts when I first started playing Bloodborne and it was disheartening and demoralising and had me questioning everything...but he was beaten, and then so was every other From game and then because of that so was every other game :D If I can do it and I can be incredibly muppetlike when gaming, then anyone has the power within and I believe in you all!!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

They had a big cube monster that hits the ground for a few seconds so we know there's at least one more type of enemy out there now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZuiFDQwQw&t=69s

Other new features for the eventual PS5 release of BotW 2: Flying creatures carrying bokobilins around, flying yellow bat creatures, homing arrows, rail grinding, manipulating structures beyond turning mazes to get a ball to go through them, cannons on stick weapons, Shiekah slate seems to be gone and now it's functionality has been condense to a gauntlet on Link's right arm, a car that looks right out of Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, hovercraft, maybe more beyond that that I didn't notice.

you can also see zelda 1 bosses in one shot of the overworld.

also artbook leaked and i looked through it. i wouldnt worry. it actually doesnt spoil much other than designs and clearly doesnt show everything but also kinda does if you look at some concept for too long lmao. they are really keeping cards close to their chest. its probably gonna own.

shiekah slate theres a new shiekah slate that looks like a switch

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 26, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm very worried the next one will have worse crossdressing options than the first Breath of the Wild or even Tri Force Heroes. They haven't made any mention of it so far.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm very worried the next one will have worse crossdressing options than the first Breath of the Wild or even Tri Force Heroes. They haven't made any mention of it so far.

doesnt show all of it but, artbook is telling you not to worry.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:sickos:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:siren: notable releases for week 9

Destiny 2: Lightfall (multiplatform 02/28/2023)

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (multiplatform 03/03/2023)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Motto posted:

botw is an okay skyrim (2011) clone, too bad the zelda people will just make one exact copy of it for another 13 years.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 26, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think the destinations and general sense of discovery in ER was more enticing and awe inspiring than Zelda, but Zelda did have its cool moments of adventure and shrines are fun.

Like I enjoyed finding stuff in Zelda but I didn't care why it was there. Completely different feeling.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Surprised I haven't seen more Ishin discussion. I'm loving it. The town is gorgeous and it's very satisfying to occasionally slow to a walk and appreciate all the ambiance.

Feels like nearly every vendor is a potential friendship, which further helps you sink into the slower paced feel as you get to know your neighbors.

Combat is actually challenging again, the last brawler (judgement 2) was way too easy. We'll see if that holds up bc there are a ton of weapon upgrades.

On pace to be in top 3 RGG games.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Ibram Gaunt posted:

this is really well put

botw made me care about the environment by making things fun to climb and forcing me to figure out a strategy so i could scale challenging cliff faces. then, when i finally reached the top, i could peer out over the landscape and travel enormous distances with the glider. two traversel mechanics i don't think i ever really experienced in a game before. or at least not done that well.

but then it sucks all that joy completely dry every time you find yet another shrine that's either a mediocre puzzle or fighting one single enemy or literally just nothing at all. rinse and repeat.

nintendo made a cool dynamic engine with weather and physics and whatever, and then they slapped zelda on the package and forgot to add anything that actually makes zelda games compelling. namely dungeons with cool *unique* mini bosses and the hookshot.

elden ring did it right bc they made an open world and then put dark souls levels as milestones in between.

botw2 needs dungeons and non breakable weapons and an actually compelling story that doesn't take place 100 years before the game im actually playing or its gonna be a dud.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nintendo dungeon: broken gyroscope:
Elden Ring dungeon: Mystery Wall.

Just imagine if Miyazaki had embraced the inherent fuckups of the joycons and what hell we could have lived in.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Surprised I haven't seen more Ishin discussion. I'm loving it. The town is gorgeous and it's very satisfying to occasionally slow to a walk and appreciate all the ambiance.

Feels like nearly every vendor is a potential friendship, which further helps you sink into the slower paced feel as you get to know your neighbors.

Combat is actually challenging again, the last brawler (judgement 2) was way too easy. We'll see if that holds up bc there are a ton of weapon upgrades.

On pace to be in top 3 RGG games.

I would talk about it but had to make a sophies choice on it or resident evil 4 and...

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

edit is not post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Your last post begs to differ