Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I never read Death of WCW is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

algebra testes posted:

I never read Death of WCW is it any good?

I enjoyed the audiobook (read by Alvarez) but the writing itself isn't the strongest

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 26, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

A question popped in my head this thread could probably answer. Whatever happened to Lex Luger after WCW closed up?

I DON'T KNOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!

He couldn't go to WWF because he burned his bridges there, and ended up doing WWA shows, and the odd short TNA run. I think he may have shown up in XWF a few times, as well as doing a bunch of indie appearances. He had some serious legal issues, and then suffered some massive health problems resulting in him being confined to a wheelchair.

He got back into the WWE's good graces about 10 years ago, but there was also some poo poo that happened which was gross as gently caress, like the audio of his 911 call after he found Elizabeth either dead or unresponsive being aired on Raw.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 26, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i know the answer is going to be yes but did they really air his 911 call?

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

I love how Bischoff makes it sound like Hogan had to announce his creative control clause instead of just being able to give him a raised eyebrow to rewrite the finish. Now I want Hulk Hogan declaring CREATIVE CONTROL the way that Michael Scott declares bankruptcy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

i know the answer is going to be yes but did they really air his 911 call?

I misremembered - it wasn't on Raw, it was on WWE Confidential.

Here's the segment for anyone who wants to feel kind of grossed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dnzNTikXU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Havoc904 posted:

I love how Bischoff makes it sound like Hogan had to announce his creative control clause instead of just being able to give him a raised eyebrow to rewrite the finish. Now I want Hulk Hogan declaring CREATIVE CONTROL the way that Michael Scott declares bankruptcy.

Check the contract, brother!

edogawa rando posted:

I misremembered - it wasn't on Raw, it was on WWE Confidential.

Here's the segment for anyone who wants to feel kind of grossed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dnzNTikXU

Now even though I wasn't watching wrestling at the time I remember hearing this audio somewhere and it's extremely hosed it ever got played.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol I forgot Inferno was in the loving wolfpac

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1629850720953417730

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

There was an old thread here about the last appearance of wrestlers, and that mop bucket to the face was McMichael's last WCW appearance.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Shard posted:

lol I forgot Inferno was in the loving wolfpac

I don't think he ever was officially in the WolfPac.

There was a whole storyline how he just bought a shirt at the merch stand and started hanging around them coz he wanted to be part of the cool kids.

So Hall and Nash just started bossing him around, but never officially let him in the club.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

There was a whole storyline how he just bought a shirt at the merch stand and started hanging around them coz he wanted to be part of the cool kids.

So Hall and Nash just started bossing him around, but never officially let him in the club.

God it's like when Mac tried to join the mafia on Sunny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WWE wants you to forget so you don't know they stole it for their bad Sami/Bloodline feud.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rusty Shackelford posted:

There was an old thread here about the last appearance of wrestlers, and that mop bucket to the face was McMichael's last WCW appearance.

Every story about the decline of this stupid company is so fitting.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If you hadn't said "storyline" I would've believed this as a shoot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If you hadn't said "storyline" I would've believed this as a shoot.
lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I remember reading something about Knobbs' last appearance in WCW being a thing where Hogan threw him out a window and he was never seen again. Then he only worked a handful of XWF shows and retired for a few years, so it was like he kayfabed being murdered by Hogan. Anyone know if I'm right about that?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought Knobbs was in TNA a bunch in the early 00s and then again when Hogan showed up.

And can someone give me a brief rundown on why Disco is an rear end in a top hat? Not defending the guy or anything, I just don't think I've ever seen why he's so disliked.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought Knobbs was in TNA a bunch in the early 00s and then again when Hogan showed up.

And can someone give me a brief rundown on why Disco is an rear end in a top hat? Not defending the guy or anything, I just don't think I've ever seen why he's so disliked.

He likes to give unsolicited condescending advice on how to get over, to people who are far more over than he ever was in his career.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember reading something about Knobbs' last appearance in WCW being a thing where Hogan threw him out a window and he was never seen again. Then he only worked a handful of XWF shows and retired for a few years, so it was like he kayfabed being murdered by Hogan. Anyone know if I'm right about that?

The last time Knobbs was on WCW TV was on Thunder from April 12th, 2000 in a hardcore match.

Hardcore Three Way Tag Team Match
Brian Knobbs & Fit Finlay vs. Hugh Morrus & Meng vs. Norman Smiley & Terry Funk

The match basically splits up into teams that brawl around the arena.

Knobbs ends up getting Meng and they're out in the entrance area brawling among the fans.
Smiley and Morrus go backstage and throw plunder around.

He worked briefly for this things https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcitement_Wrestling_Federation right after leaving WCW and then seemingly took a break until around 2007-2008

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It is always fascinating what happens to these various minor wrestlers. I love it when they are being built up or in the middle of a story and then *poof* gone.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Two Beans posted:

He likes to give unsolicited condescending advice on how to get over, to people who are far more over than he ever was in his career.

Thank you, that would certainly do it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Didn't he say he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE, when UT would've been like 7 years old?

Or the time he said a Tombstone Pile-driver hurt his neck but video shows him like two feet off the ground.

I so wish there was footage of Undertaker watching that move in slow-mo, realizing, perhaps for the very first time ever, that Hogan was completely full of poo poo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Are they still making a Hogan bio-pic? The lie montage might take up an entire act.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't watched this since Scott passed but the comment reminded me how the two of them - Kev and Scott - are having fun and Disco is just kinda there being a total dork and trying to pretend he's part of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXiUjq806mc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't watched this since Scott passed but the comment reminded me how the two of them - Kev and Scott - are having fun and Disco is just kinda there being a total dork and trying to pretend he's part of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXiUjq806mc

I'd forgotten part of the Wolfpac's theme was "don't turn your back to them or you will actually die."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ARgP3-bg8

The 90s where you think you could throw a rock against a seven foot man and not get you rear end beat.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Are they still making a Hogan bio-pic? The lie montage might take up an entire act.

The only acceptable way for this film to be made is if it were done in a manner similar to 24 Hour Party People. Have people mentioned in his stories make cameo appearances when these events are depicted, pointing out the inaccuracies then and there like Howard Devoto did in that film.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There should be two movies. The biopic, and the Weird Al Biopic where Hogan's narrative is taken at face value and depicted accurately, even when it contradicts itself.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Agreed, I want to see the scene where he has his arm broken in pride by a 7-year-old undertaker

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

There should be two movies. The biopic, and the Weird Al Biopic where Hogan's narrative is taken at face value and depicted accurately, even when it contradicts itself.

This is how I want the Bubba the Love Sponge documentary to be done.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Please

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

"Sorry, James, I can't be your bassist!" *Hulk hangs up the phone, Real American kicks in at the Pontiac Silverdome.*

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Does anyone remember like an hour long special that might have aired on one of the networks back in the day about Hulk? It was his biography and I feel like it started with him being a fat kid, and then losing weight and getting buff. Also I very specifically remember that he was so buff that the other parents didn't want him to play sports against their kids. They let him play baseball once and he threw it so hard he hurt the catcher and the umpire.

Also there might have been a black coach or teacher who motivated him to lose the weight, and I swear it involved him running up and down the bleachers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

syzpid posted:

Does anyone remember like an hour long special that might have aired on one of the networks back in the day about Hulk? It was his biography and I feel like it started with him being a fat kid, and then losing weight and getting buff. Also I very specifically remember that he was so buff that the other parents didn't want him to play sports against their kids. They let him play baseball once and he threw it so hard he hurt the catcher and the umpire.

Also there might have been a black coach or teacher who motivated him to lose the weight, and I swear it involved him running up and down the bleachers.

This?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4Gdm94tdk

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Googling the "Hulk Hogan PRIDE" story and I got this article which also includes:

quote:

Hogan also claimed that it was recommended to Vince McMahon to cancel the WrestleMania 3 date because The Rolling Stones were playing the Silver Dome the week before and there were concerns regarding the company's ticket sales.

The Rolling Stones were feuding with each other and doing solo projects for much of the 1980s, and as best as I can tell played zero concerts in the United States between December 1981 (at the end of a tour where they sold out two nights at the Silverdome) and August 1989. In December 1989, the Rolling Stones again sold two nights.

Here is a picture of the Rolling Stones concert at the Silverdome the week almost six years before Wrestlemania 3:

The only concert in the Silverdome that actually took place within a year prior to WM3 was a Monkees reunion tour, maybe the Hulkster was mixing up the Monkees and the Stones. That show also appears to have had a very large turnout.

Still, it's possible someone tried to convince Vince to cancel Wrestlemania 3 a week out, based on something. Maybe the knowledge that Andre might go into business for himself in his dying act.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

wow yea, I knew that was it just looking at the thumbnail cause that kids face is burned into my memory for some reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

The only concert in the Silverdome that actually took place within a year prior to WM3 was a Monkees reunion tour, maybe the Hulkster was mixing up the Monkees and the Stones. That show also appears to have had a very large turnout.

"We can't out draw the Monkees, brother."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Looking up ticket reports in 1987 Observers, it sounds like WM3 sold 17,000 tickets the first week they were on sale, were "expected to top 40,000" by the end of February, and were over 70,000 2-3 weeks out. It's a good thing Hulkster was there to persuade Vince not to give up on running it!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst we are talking outrageous Hulk Hogan stories.

I always enjoy the one he tells about being offered the George Foreman Grill first, but being out of the house when they called. So after 1 missed call they immediately went to Mr. Foreman instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Whilst we are talking outrageous Hulk Hogan stories.

I always enjoy the one he tells about being offered the George Foreman Grill first, but being out of the house when they called. So after 1 missed call they immediately went to Mr. Foreman instead.

His stories are always "I almost did this thing that someone else did, brotherjack" and how he juuuuuuust missed it by this much.

Or fighting in Pride in Japan in the 1970s or some poo poo.

Also remember that pathetic Hulk Hogan grill poo poo he put out when the George Foreman Grill was blowing up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7pls4Jrl_g

Stick to the meat shoes, Hulk.