Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I feel like this game is also way more colorful than the first one. There's much more visual variety within individual locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it does a better job of drawing you in. It's clear they learned a bit on presentation from the first one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I feel like this game is also way more colorful than the first one. There's much more visual variety within individual locations.

ImpAtom posted:

I think it does a better job of drawing you in. It's clear they learned a bit on presentation from the first one.

Agreed.

I also love the QoL improvements like being able to change from day to night with the press of a button.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i love to travel the octopath

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just wrapped cleric chapter one.

If the quality stays steady, this is everything I'd hoped the first game could have been.

Also, cleric gives me serious Akechi from p5 vibes. The smugness, the vocal cadence, right down to him being a detective

Combat has some real teeth, too. Am I miss remembering or was the first game significantly easier in the early going?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone know who voices Scrooge McDuck in japanese? Cause Roque is basically human young Scrooge.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BurningBeard posted:

Combat has some real teeth, too. Am I miss remembering or was the first game significantly easier in the early going?

You're not misunderstanding it, the Ch1 bosses from OT1 were way easier than this game's. I suspect part of it is padding out the fights to give each character an opporunity to unlock their Latent Power, but I don't unappreciate it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do you still have to go to an inn to change party members? Found that annoying in 1, having to juggle people around just to have access to a particular path action.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a tavern, but yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got my 7th Traveller, Partition and goddamn his theme is so good.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Halfway through recruiting folks today, been enjoying this quite a bit so far.

Having everyone’s intro be a solo affair definitely prevents any awkwardness with “I work alone, wanna help me?” like in 1.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Died twice now in Hikari's Chapter 5. If you've been finishing Chapters slightly underleveled you might want to reconsider when you get to the last Chapters if they're all like this.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm on CH 3 or 4 with everyone and liking this a lot more than the first game.

All my characters are underleveled, I really wish they ditched the whole "protagonist" thing in this game which is completely redundant and meaningless. Being able to form exactly 2 parties would be so much better.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

If you're like me and love scrutinizing and interrogating people until you've discovered their every last secret, go to Clockbank. It's a hell of a town.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Goddamn you guys play fast.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

made up my mind that this will be OST of the Year as soon as I arrived at Throne's gangster city.

I don't anticipate much party banter at all given how little Crossed Path things I've seen from videos but at least the intro chapters do give you a feel of each character being sort of loners / mercenaries who struggled to work with others that you temporarily have in their party. That being said it shouldn't have been hard to improve on the last game's interactions and yet they still didn't really do it lol. I'm not really thrown off by it, just surprised they didn't bother.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm on CH 3 or 4 with everyone and liking this a lot more than the first game.

All my characters are underleveled, I really wish they ditched the whole "protagonist" thing in this game which is completely redundant and meaningless. Being able to form exactly 2 parties would be so much better.

Just do all of one party (that includes your protagonist) and then do all of the other party. Easy and maintains level parity for the second group (even if they'll have gear/item/knowledge advantage).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still listening to Partitio's theme.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

About how far behind was the release of the OST for the first game, a few weeks?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The game: Stronger enemies come out at night! Beware!

Thronè and Temenos: hold my beer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How do I beat up Caits to help my party stay at appropriate levels?

Also for Octopath 1, gonna continue my game of that when I'm not at my computer.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Osvald's story is already shaping up to be better than Primrose's story for me.

And I want to reiterate that I really like the changes they made to the Scholar.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Are leaves a lot easier to come by in this one? It definitely feels like it. The last one I was just hoarding money just in case. This one is making feel a little better about spending it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Soulstones don't miss.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Saxophone posted:

Are leaves a lot easier to come by in this one? It definitely feels like it. The last one I was just hoarding money just in case. This one is making feel a little better about spending it.

money seems very volatile. i'll regularly think I have a ton of cash (and I do! I think!!), and then go to a shop in the new town and buy a single new weapon for everyone and a single armor upgrade for every and suddenly be dirt poor. obviously shops exist to supplement NPC-obtained items and treasure but due to the nonlinear nature of the game it's wholly possible you won't find or be able to reasonably obtain those at any given point, and even then across an entire party there's a lot of gear slots especially once you start getting secondary jobs.

now fortunately having good gear (especially armor) is comically unnecessary but yeah if you want to spend money it's not difficult at all to do so.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Soulstones don't miss.

Ohshit you’re right!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Does Partitio have the money gathering thing Tressa did?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
i'm up to 4 party members now (the Western ones) and kind of exploring now. Going back to towns and taking items from people, hiring good followers, etc. I've managed to kill a couple of those Cait thingies for levels so I'm scraping 20 with my team. Some of the optional dungeons you can find have some great items. Hikari is rocking a shield that regens SP after every action.

Just really digging the flow of this game. Not sure why the first game never landed with me but OctoTwo is super comfy.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also for Octopath 1, gonna continue my game of that when I'm not at my computer.

Hikari's limit break boosted with whatever BP he starts with usually does it for me. But as others have said soulstones/magic are great too.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 25, 2023

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m curious at this point whether I should play out each members intro or just skip and watch a recap on YouTube or something.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Saxophone posted:

I’m curious at this point whether I should play out each members intro or just skip and watch a recap on YouTube or something.

If you do play out the intros, you get all the items, experience, and JP that the character accumulated once their intro is finished.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Found a bunch of fun lore reading in a side quest then found a fancy side dungeon that was a bit above my level but I managed to get through just fine.

Pretty sure I just found a rusty staff that will eventually become the ultimate staff weapon after doing who knows what with it. Heck yeah! Game rules.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I enjoyed doing each prologue, except I rushed Partitio, so I'll probably play that again. I'd recommend playing them if you haven't. I skipped most on my regular save, but played them all in the demo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Possibly stupid question: I still have the silver chunk and money purse from the first chapters of Partitio and Agnea, is there any reason to hold on to them or can I sell them? For some reason I feel like I should hold on to them but also that feels dumb

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Lmao this game's writing has the subtlety of a mace thus far. I'm doing Oswald's story and it looks like the guy who sent him to prison was named
"Harvey." This has been my favorite story so far but I've been losing momentum for the same reasons as Octopath 1 where wandering through the overworld sections to meet other party members was extremely tedious.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I find JRPG's (especially ones with a sort of anime/manga artstyle) are doing this more and more now in the Reiwa era almost to where I'm getting used to it, but not still not quite, where for example in Agnea's story arc climax you aren't fighting some hideous potentially world ending fire breathing monster/demon or a really powerful warrior or something ,but having an RPG mechanic transposed emotional climax battle where you're "fighting" some arrogant opera diva in a music competition yet the way it's translated into battle it's like she could theoretically take out an entire party of seasoned end game actual fighters, wizards and what not by singing songs and apparently casting high level AoE spells. Actually a lot of this franchise from the original 2018 game through the mobile game and now seem to have these like emotional climax chapter bosses where it's unrealistic to assume that that character could put up any sort of serious fight or have any sort of real stamina, but for the purposes of the psychological impression of the focus party character they're like an immovable concept to surmount and even appear as such as these gigantic half screen filling sprites. I remember feeling that with Helgenish for example in the original game or say the playwright and actress bosses I saw footage of in the mobile game. Like some rival actress throwing a narcisstic tantrum is a legit boss fight strictly because the focus character sees them as such. It's kind of funny that this somehow draws the other party members into this concept though and they definitely need their help to get through these as it's still mechanically and difficulty wise a real rear end boss fight

Anyway I guess it just kind of shows the sort of creativity or conceptual reimagining that probably has to happen with a 40ish year old concept that is turn based JRPG's.

dude789 posted:

Lmao this game's writing has the subtlety of a mace thus far. I'm doing Oswald's story and it looks like the guy who sent him to prison was named
"Harvey." This has been my favorite story so far but I've been losing momentum for the same reasons as Octopath 1 where wandering through the overworld sections to meet other party members was extremely tedious.

Yeah this franchise definitely has almost Shakespeare like ultra dramatic embellished storytelling and scene direction. It feels like it's very much meant to invoke the idea of watching a play both visually, and story presentation wise.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A couple tips to improve pacing:

You don't *have* to vacuum up every single bit of treasure in every single town. This saves loads of time! Especially a party like e.g., Osvald/Temenos/Throne is going to take ages to fully clear out New Delstra because half your Party Actions are going to trigger combats, but ultimately all you'll get is some mediocre equipment, some leaves, and a few mild discounts/bonuses.

Turning on 2x combat speed (+ button) helps to make random encounters less of a drag. I recommend returning to 1x for bosses though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

You don't *have* to vacuum up every single bit of treasure in every single town.

wtf

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Typically in the level 1 towns I find it's easier just to hoover poo poo up with the level>skills rather than the more active skills and then you can come back for the rest later if you want.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Do everything, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Anyone got a list of where to search for the guilds? I only got Inventor and Hunter so far.