Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How does kids going to college at super young ages work? Every one in a while I'll see a headline about some super smart kid going to college at age 12 or whatever. I would think this would all but ensure that kid never has any kind of social life, and at my ritzy private school everyone went to college after the regular amount of high school (though some were talking college classes the last 2 years). Does this actually work out or is it just a headlines feel good story thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Kids like that are already different enough that a regular social life with peers are difficult. Their intellect is way beyond their years while their interests might still be regular kid stuff. Their position in life is going to be difficult no matter what.

So they need a lot of support, basically. Counselling and stuff to help them through life, social interactions, etc. People to keep an eye on them so that they can achieve what they want and not get bored, but also have friends and healthy relationships and not get alienated.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

Can I mix shampoo with water to put in my car windscreen washer reservoir? I've honestly tried finding proper windscreen wash everywhere but nowhere has it, for some reason??? Even the car wash places don't have it. In the UK you can just pick up massive jugs of windscreen washer fluid and pour it straight in.

I went to one place and they tried putting fairy liquid solution in and I told them to get lost cause that will just strip my paint over time.

The internet exists. You are using it right now. Just buy some windshield washer fluid off the internet. I’m very confused by your conundrum.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Can I mix shampoo with water to put in my car windscreen washer reservoir? I've honestly tried finding proper windscreen wash everywhere but nowhere has it, for some reason??? Even the car wash places don't have it. In the UK you can just pick up massive jugs of windscreen washer fluid and pour it straight in.

I went to one place and they tried putting fairy liquid solution in and I told them to get lost cause that will just strip my paint over time.

if you're in the US almost every gas station will sell windshield wiper fluid. It's a giant jug of blue stuff, or you can order it online as RCarr said in a strangely aggressive way.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RCarr posted:

The internet exists. You are using it right now. Just buy some windshield washer fluid off the internet. I’m very confused by your conundrum.

Thanks, I'll just order some off of Amazon and pay $40 in shipping since I live in the middle east and my windscreen wash conundrum will be resolved in roughly 3-4 weeks.

Captain Monkey posted:

if you're in the US almost every gas station will sell windshield wiper fluid. It's a giant jug of blue stuff, or you can order it online as RCarr said in a strangely aggressive way.

Yeah that's how it was in the UK, I used to buy a big old jug whilst filling up and just throw it in my boot. I wanted to do the same here cause the weather is so dusty and I'm constantly driving around low on fluid. Strangely enough though, not a single gas station has any windscreen wash, I've even been to a bunch of car wash garages and nada. I've decided to stop letting my lack of windscreen wash affect my life anymore, I'm just gonna top up with plain old water.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

If you're in a place where it won't drop below freezing you can just throw water in there, especially if you are going through a lot of it. Just make sure to drain it, fill it up with proper washer fluid, and run it through the system for a minute or so to flush the water before going back to somewhere with freezing temps. I've done this before out in the desert in Arizona and never had an issue.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

How does kids going to college at super young ages work? Every one in a while I'll see a headline about some super smart kid going to college at age 12 or whatever. I would think this would all but ensure that kid never has any kind of social life, and at my ritzy private school everyone went to college after the regular amount of high school (though some were talking college classes the last 2 years). Does this actually work out or is it just a headlines feel good story thing?

It can backfire, massively.

Happened to my uncle, who was some sort of super genius. Enrolled at Vanderbilt University at fifteen years old in the 1970's. I despise armchair diagnosing poo poo, but it's appropriate here - Dude was probably on the spectrum.

Made it less than a year, flamed out hard, never went back. Spent his life as an alcoholic bartender and died a few years back at sixty-two years old, riddled with cancer and a lacerated liver.

Strangely enough, worked almost his entire life and never had trouble holding down very demanding bartending jobs. Married, but only for a few years in his twenties. His life wasn't outright miserable. But it was the epitome of wasted potential. I'm still pretty mixed up about the whole thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

My cousin was basically homeschooled and then entered college young. Last I heard he moved in with our grandfather to attend a college there, when said grandfather left he never actually went to school. Upon returning the house was a mess and he offered to pay our grandfather to clean the mess for him. That got him kicked out. He had to drop out because his grades got so bad and as far as I know he is still living in his dad's attic.

And yes, the guy had absolutely awful social awareness.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

I've decided against the drawing tablet as the price is practically just as expensive as the $1000 Samsung. So instead, as a proof of concept, I'm just going to get an affordable tablet with a stylus and see if it actually helps me much before dropping big bucks.
What did you look at that it costs $1000? Wacom tablets go all the way to like $50 or they did when I got one years ago. But you can also try a Chinese one, they seem to work fine (though check reviews) and you're only risking like $20.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqkTNaK

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ironhead posted:

If you're in a place where it won't drop below freezing you can just throw water in there, especially if you are going through a lot of it. Just make sure to drain it, fill it up with proper washer fluid, and run it through the system for a minute or so to flush the water before going back to somewhere with freezing temps. I've done this before out in the desert in Arizona and never had an issue.

I'm curious because I live in a colder climate and 95% of the wiper fluid I use goes to getting salt off my windshield. If you live somewhere warm, what is there to clean off your windshield?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

dokmo posted:

I'm curious because I live in a colder climate and 95% of the wiper fluid I use goes to getting salt off my windshield. If you live somewhere warm, what is there to clean off your windshield?

Dust, mostly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bird poo poo and insects

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

What did you look at that it costs $1000? Wacom tablets go all the way to like $50 or they did when I got one years ago. But you can also try a Chinese one, they seem to work fine (though check reviews) and you're only risking like $20.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqkTNaK

It's all good, I got the Kamvas 16 for like $300. I was originally looking at the Samsung S8 Ultra but I'm glad it didn't work out because that's way too much money on a bunch of poo poo I don't actually need. I legitimately just wanted the ability to draw on a screen with a pen digitally on top of my PDF files. Even the $300 option is overkill but at least it's gonna work well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

It's all good, I got the Kamvas 16 for like $300. I was originally looking at the Samsung S8 Ultra but I'm glad it didn't work out because that's way too much money on a bunch of poo poo I don't actually need. I legitimately just wanted the ability to draw on a screen with a pen digitally on top of my PDF files. Even the $300 option is overkill but at least it's gonna work well.

I was gonna say, I got a Huion 13 for $200 a few weeks ago, and it works just fine. Drawing tablets have come a long way in the last 20 years.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Definitely a stupid question: do y'all delete emails after reading them? My wife will delete emails when she's done with them, which to me is total sicko behaviour, as I have never deleted an email. But I don't actually know if I'm the sicko. So, what's your email retention policies for personal email accounts?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Before gmail made popular the concept of huge inbox storage space, it was common to be always running out of room in your email, especially if you were using your @localinternetcompany.com account or @customdomain.com business account . Google gave people lots of space and the Archive feature and pushed the philosophy of always archiving instead of deleting. So depending on where she cut her chops email-wise, it could be left over from that.

I personally archive everything so I can search it later, but I'm starting to wish I had deleted more useless things as they really clutter up the search results.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

BonHair posted:

Definitely a stupid question: do y'all delete emails after reading them? My wife will delete emails when she's done with them, which to me is total sicko behaviour, as I have never deleted an email. But I don't actually know if I'm the sicko. So, what's your email retention policies for personal email accounts?

If it's important, it's archived. If it's not important it gets deleted. My inbox is empty unless there is something I need to reply to later

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Killingyouguy! posted:

If it's important, it's archived. If it's not important it gets deleted. My inbox is empty unless there is something I need to reply to later
Mods!!?

Qubee posted:

Oh good. I wasn't sure how much you wanted to spend, the tablets without a screen work too but it's a different beast. The Kamvas should work well though and that's not a bad price for at 15.6" tablet, considering how much Wacom stuff used to cost.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BonHair posted:

For work and personal email, I generally follow a similar policy where if it's something that I need to respond to, take care of, a project to complete, or whatever, it will sit in my inbox, so I can't forget it. For personal, that's typically a package I'm tracking or something like that.

If it's something like an actual conversation, I archive it when it's done. If it's a receipt, package tracking, airline info, I delete it instead. I do find it satisfying to go back through my archive and clean things up every year or so.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

What's so odd about that? I'm the same way. Stuff sitting in my inbox is stuff I need to handle and once it's done it gets archived. Right now my inbox is empty. Are you one of those folks with 400 unread emails in your inbox?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

McCracAttack posted:

What's so odd about that? I'm the same way. Stuff sitting in my inbox is stuff I need to handle and once it's done it gets archived. Right now my inbox is empty. Are you one of those folks with 400 unread emails in your inbox?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I accept that some people are like this but I just don't have a spot in my brain for it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I leave most stuff in my inbox. Some stuff I do delete if it's recent enough that I notice it and it's not something I need to keep around. Otherwise I have a daily script that archives things past some date range.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The email doesn’t care if I delete it or not.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I don't understand how people can live this way. It's like if a room is too cluttered - I'm stressed just by the idea of trying to get work done there

e: the Mac users at my company will share their screens on zoom without an ounce of shame that an icon on the taskbar is jumping up and down? They never click it? They don't even seem to notice?? HOW

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 26, 2023

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

I don't understand how people can live this way. It's like if a room is too cluttered - I'm stressed just by the idea of trying to get work done there

e: the Mac users at my company will share their screens on zoom without an ounce of shame that an icon on the taskbar is jumping up and down? They never click it? They don't even seem to notice?? HOW

I need to catch up on my email

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

For the folks that have hundreds/thousands of unread emails - do you like, read them and mark them unread? Never read them at all? Skim them based on the subject? Are 90% of them like JCPenney coupons? I just can't fathom it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I get a lot of email notifications. People going live on streaming services. Updates on orders. Pull request notifications on github projects I follow. Honestly 90+% of it I don't care about, but which 90% isn't something I can automatically filter, and I don't want to bother with the five seconds of manually deleting/marking-as-read when I've already decided that I don't care about it.

The thing I came to realize about email is that if I treat every email as a task (to delete/file/respond to), then I'm giving other people permission to add to my workload. And I have plenty of other stuff to keep on top of as it is. "Inbox zero" is a nice ideal, but the stress of staying on top of it would, for me, vastly exceed the stress of dealing with a cluttered inbox. Especially since it's very rare that I need to look at anything more than the 10 most recent messages.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Trapick posted:

For the folks that have hundreds/thousands of unread emails - do you like, read them and mark them unread? Never read them at all? Skim them based on the subject? Are 90% of them like JCPenney coupons? I just can't fathom it.

I can usually tell from the subject if it's something I need to care about. Like the goon above me, it's 90% notifications about streamers going live or Amazon order updates, or JCPenny coupons. If I don't need to care about it, I don't touch it. It just sits in my inbox unopened. I only need to look at the most recent messages to see if there's something there I care about.

Now my work email is a different story. I organize the HELL out of that. I just never saw the point of doing so to my personal Inbox.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do our bodies handle vitamin / mineral requirements without us constantly needing to eat perfectly balanced meals all the time? Because I'll sometimes have a poo poo diet for a few weeks and I know I'm not getting the correct amount of vitamins that my body needs to function, but I somehow still manage to keep on trucking? I also look at the % RDA of vitamins certain foods provide and it's usually quite a low amount. So does our body store these vitamins and we're basically averaging out what we need over a period of weeks or? Because I don't think I'm getting anywhere close to the 100% RDA of a whole bunch of vitamins. Or is the RDA more of an upper limit of what we should be consuming, rather than a goal we're meant to be achieving?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Some are stored in fats and so you can go a long time between dosing. Others aren't but going without them for relatively short periods isn't going to kill you. Bodies are pretty resilient. Prolonged periods without them though will definitely start you on the path to avoidable health problems.

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit

Qubee posted:

How do our bodies handle vitamin / mineral requirements without us constantly needing to eat perfectly balanced meals all the time? Because I'll sometimes have a poo poo diet for a few weeks and I know I'm not getting the correct amount of vitamins that my body needs to function, but I somehow still manage to keep on trucking? I also look at the % RDA of vitamins certain foods provide and it's usually quite a low amount. So does our body store these vitamins and we're basically averaging out what we need over a period of weeks or? Because I don't think I'm getting anywhere close to the 100% RDA of a whole bunch of vitamins. Or is the RDA more of an upper limit of what we should be consuming, rather than a goal we're meant to be achieving?

The way people think about vitamins and minerals isn't really accurate to how it works. Lots of it is stored in your body and you're not going to develop scurvy unless you're short on vitamin C for something like 3 months. Your diet isn't really meant to be something you micromanage every day of your life, you can work out something that meets your needs on a weekly or even monthly basis pretty easily. Our species, as well as every other species on Earth, has evolved through a shitload of periods of famine and reduced access to a variety of foods.

Generally speaking if you live in a wealthy nation you are very unlikely to develop a nutritional deficiency aside from being low on Vitamin D, for which most people can probably benefit from taking supplements. If you're vegan or have an eating disorder you might end up lacking in other vitamins (B vitamins usually), but generally it's not something the average person needs to spend a lot of time thinking about.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mister Speaker posted:

Do all-wheel-drive vehicles have a third differential connecting the front and rear axle? Does it differ in design from a typical differential and if so, how?

The driveshaft coming out of the transmission goes into the transfer case, which splits the power into separate driveshafts that go to differentials for the front and rear wheels

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Could you plug one set of speakers into two sources and run them simultaneously? Like, hypothetically, if I had two sound systems but only one set of speakers and I wanted to run them both at the same time for some reason. And if it would work, what would it sound like? Would the audio signals, like, combine weirdly or cancel out or something, or would it just sound like playing two things at once using two apps on a computer?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I get a lot of email notifications. People going live on streaming services. Updates on orders. Pull request notifications on github projects I follow. Honestly 90+% of it I don't care about, but which 90% isn't something I can automatically filter,

Add a filter for the word “unsubscribe” to mark as read and flag/filter as”semi-junk.” Reduces the amount of notifications to devices to look at immediately rather than “whenever.”

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Could you plug one set of speakers into two sources and run them simultaneously? Like, hypothetically, if I had two sound systems but only one set of speakers and I wanted to run them both at the same time for some reason. And if it would work, what would it sound like? Would the audio signals, like, combine weirdly or cancel out or something, or would it just sound like playing two things at once using two apps on a computer?

I'm definitely not an audio expert, but my understanding is that speakers are pretty simple devices -- your audio source basically converts the sound waveform into an electrical amplitude, which then determines how the speaker produces sound. You can add waveforms together if you want, and it does sound like just playing two things at once. However, there's a maximum amplitude that speakers support. If you exceed that amplitude, the speaker will clip off the excess, causing some signal to be lost -- in other words, it won't sound right. Depending on what exactly the waveform looks like, it might be more or less intelligible. I dimly recall hearing that some speakers will actually be damaged if you try to exceed their max amplitude, so you probably shouldn't do that anyway.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Turntables basically do this already.

You can do it digitally by just layering two tracks on top of each other in Audacity or the sound editing program of your choice. Also not a sound engineer, but I can attest to it working fine but sounding kinda crap if the waveforms are too similar. Clipping is never good, hence one lowers the amplitude manually as mentioned above.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 27, 2023

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
How do I calculate, say, the sum of all whole numbers (ex: 1+2+3) within a range, and what is that calculation called? In this case, I needed to calculate a sum of all whle numbers from 1 to 100. I did so manually, but I know there’s a formula.

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
I don't think there's a special name, the formula is n(n+1)/2, where n is the final number you're adding up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lincoln posted:

How do I calculate, say, the sum of all whole numbers (ex: 1+2+3) within a range, and what is that calculation called? In this case, I needed to calculate a sum of all whle numbers from 1 to 100. I did so manually, but I know there’s a formula.

There’s a story that every teacher of mathematics will tell you about Carl Friedrich Gauss independently inventing the formula as a kid.

You can pair the 1 with the 100, the 2 with the 99, and so on, to have fifty pairs each summing to 101.

Fifty 101s is five thousand and fifty.