Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I really appreciate how with engage the turnwheel feels like just another tool you'll be using (if a really strong one) instead of a cheat mode. Game seems more balanced around it and so its fun to use, instead of in 3H where it always felt like I might as well be switching the difficulty to easy if I was gonna be rewinding.

I guess in Echoes I was also happy to use it but it felt kinda like (an appreciated) bandage over Gaiden's jank while here it comes off as fairly appropriate for the difficulty of the game.

The difference is the systems in this game are well designed in how they interact with each other, instead of half assedly thrown together without any thought as to how one thing affects another in an already braindead easy game. Three houses was very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

RevolverDivider posted:

If you’re gonna have ten charges it’s fine to have some gotcha tax moments otherwise you’d never be in danger of running out unless you’re using them to brute force solve things.

Personally I think a solution that would feel better is less charges. But since reinforcements don't move the same turn they arrive in Engage's maddening, it still feels a lot better imo.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 26, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imo the turnwheel in Engage is cool, it definitely feels like the game is balanced around it but like, in a way where the devs feel bolder about what they can subject the player to? Like, some of the enemy setups are reminiscent of Conquest but Conquest itself would have probably been more fondly regarded if you could just burn a savestate charge because your eyes glazed over in Ninja Hell and you missed the Lunge ninja that sucked you through a wall into a gank squad.

I mean, it’s a lot better than Conquest because it’s mostly simple stuff you didn’t fully process because Engages are a new mechanic, but it makes it easier to have new stuff and have it just be “huh, I have to rethink things here” like multiple bosses aggroing at once which is probably why they hardly ever did that in the pre-turnwheel times.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Engage handles it’s boss fights much better then most of the older stationary bosses since there’s a lot of wild memorable fights like Chapter 17. Not to say there haven’t been good bosses before, Reinhardt in Thracia is fantastic, but I much prefer Engage’s approach of having most bosses aggro eventually as well as be mobile.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's really quite fun to manage two or more bosses activating at the same time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I adore the bullshit the chapter 19 boss pulls on you, particularly because it also serves to inform you of a tactic you might not have considered on your own, and can abuse yourself in the future.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
3H might be justifiably regarded as kind of an overambitious mess mechanically but it did basically invent revival gems which makes bosses like 300% more fun on average so I have to conclude that it’s retroactively become goated. You love/hate to see it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think the way Engage implements bosses is really good and was a great bit to steal from 3H and use more extensively. I especially like during the emblem paralogues how revival gems are used to indicate the emblem's close allies. Like how a thief shows up in Mic's paralogue with two gems and I'm like "Hello Sothe."

I've gone to bat for 3H before and I'll do it again, but I can imagine if you're playing both games on hard, then Engage is going to be much more interesting from a combat perspective. But 3H Maddening really did take into account the options you have available, I think more effectively than Engage in many ways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i found 3h maddening really poorly designed, honestly. the early game is a mess of extremely careful play basically being mandated and the lategame barely feels any different from hard. maddening didn't make the game any more exciting or interesting, just more tedious. part of that is 3h's map design issues, but still.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
We'll just firmly disagree on that.

To me the movement from very cautious play early to the freeform style of the lategame is precisely what makes it interesting.

And then when the really hard maps in the lategame start playing into that freeform style, it gets even better.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

every time you give it to someone they go there to try and hide it from you, clearly

I've been periodically giving it to Lapis because I heard she might want it, otherwise idk what the gently caress to do with it

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mechanically it doesn't affect anything. No support point gain or whatever. Dialogue-wise some are more diplomatic or positive than others.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

3H Maddening is actually really good and by far the best way to play that game but Engage Maddening is still better just due to the massive mechanical superiority of Engage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The beginning of fe3h maddening is such unfun garbage, engage maddening is fun at the start.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the main thing i liked about 3 houses gameplay wise was gambits, because A: wide-ranging attacks are very very useful, and B: every combat gambit having a 1-turn freeze effect was really good and I wish it was utilized more often.

Wide range attacks that gently caress with enemy movement are coincidentally why I have Camilla permanently glued to Alear until Veyle becomes available. Being able to turn her into a flyer is one thing, being able to create an effective chokepoint on wide, flat ground is another.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yes, playing Fire Emblem but with a crowd control/battlefield management tool is really satisfying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I collected all the DLC emblems, time to dump all my relay tickets and then do all the skirmishes and then take on chapter 9

I wish it was easier to be overleveled in this game without all the extra grinding

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Are you on Maddening? On Hard I feel like just doing the paralouges overlevels you without touching skirmishes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Are you on Maddening? On Hard I feel like just doing the paralouges overlevels you without touching skirmishes.

No I'm on casual.

I want the game to be easy like mid to endgame Fallout. I'm working on it, but, it's taking some effort

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Fair enough, godspeed.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Have they said how many DLC emblems there will be by the time the they’re all out. I have no interest in paying for 3 or 4 extra emblems but if it’s twelve I might get them once they’re all out and do a run where I find/replace each emblem with its replacement i.e Im allowed to start using Soren when I get Ike and can’t use Ike.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Currently, we know there will be at least 7. If they plan on adding any more to round out the set for the final wave or something, they haven't said anything yet and no one's found scraps on them in the data.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sound

https://i.imgur.com/tNDXV5e.mp4

lol. im obsessed with decky recorder

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
They’d have to redo the Ring Chamber to go beyond seven; that’s how many slots are currently in there.

Honestly, I think 17 is already too many. Being able to bench Celica, Leif, and Roy in the late game is fine, but beyond that you’re cutting into the actually cool base game Emblems.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/2gCPtnH.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/MssvuyN.mp4

60fps ftw

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 27, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cool, the silver card is locked to one specific map you needed to have a flyer for. That would have been useful to know....ahead of time. or maybe just not unlocked that way.

and I hear no ng+ which is lame

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Cool, the silver card is locked to one specific map you needed to have a flyer for. That would have been useful to know....ahead of time. or maybe just not unlocked that way.

warp and rewarp staffs, they drop in the map

plus you can replay the map

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not a flier, you need to teleport to it with some kind of staff warp or Celica's Warp Ragnarok on a convienent enemy.

Its on Tiki's paralogue map though you can grab it then or when a skirmish spawns there.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

GreenBuckanneer posted:

you don't need a flyer, you need a warp/rewarp staff, which drops from the enemy staff users on that very map

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Barreft posted:

warp and rewarp staffs, they drop in the map

plus you can replay the map

guide says I can't get the item again until there's a skirmish

Blaziken386 posted:

you don't need a flyer, you need a warp/rewarp staff, which drops from the enemy staff users on that very map

yeah I didn't think to do that

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You can also just walk around the outside of the fort if you really, really hate yourself

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

guide says I can't get the item again until there's a skirmish

yeah I didn't think to do that

The guide's outdated. The second DLC drop added the ability to replay the missions, though you don't get EXP.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

FoolyCharged posted:

You can also just walk around the outside of the fort if you really, really hate yourself

I just sent Chloe around the perimeter to get it. My only staff users at the time were Framme and Yunaka with Micaiah, neither of whom had the staff rank necessary for the warp staff, and I didn't want to risk using Warp Ragnarok to get outside and then have to slowly walk all the way back.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 10 and 11 are back to back, huh, drat, that took longer than I expected.

also BRO-dia, cause, BROthers :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Chapter 24: huh, cannot say I was expecting an actual explanation for why Alear hates the Corrupted beyond “idk, they’re creepy zombie people” :(

Also I think Sombron might be like, legitimately the stupidest FE antagonist in history, like I think the story in and of itself has been solid at worst but like, why would you have dozens of dragon babies as living weapons (or decide at some point to use them for that purpose, whatever) and kill the lion’s share of them without exploring your options first like you could just have more without waiting a thousand years for them to hit dragon adolescence?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just picked this back up (Metroid Prime Remastered dropped and took priority) and finished Chapter 10 last night. I knew the ring theft was coming because I've been reading the thread, but it was still cool and impactful. It taps into what made, say, Aeris' death work in FFVII, which is that it messes with your actual gameplay mechanics that you just assume are safe. If something happens to a character that "only" affects the story, yeah it's a big deal, but it's not entirely unexpected. When your party is tangibly impacted it really hits you because you keep thinking "Ah no way, they're gonna reset this by the end of the cutscene because the game wouldn't take away my stuff like that", and then the cutscene keeps going and you start the next chapter with your poo poo all gone... that feels so meaningful.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Just picked this back up (Metroid Prime Remastered dropped and took priority) and finished Chapter 10 last night. I knew the ring theft was coming because I've been reading the thread, but it was still cool and impactful. It taps into what made, say, Aeris' death work in FFVII, which is that it messes with your actual gameplay mechanics that you just assume are safe. If something happens to a character that "only" affects the story, yeah it's a big deal, but it's not entirely unexpected. When your party is tangibly impacted it really hits you because you keep thinking "Ah no way, they're gonna reset this by the end of the cutscene because the game wouldn't take away my stuff like that", and then the cutscene keeps going and you start the next chapter with your poo poo all gone... that feels so meaningful.

I knew it was coming but I was still annoyed. Then I realized they didn't take away the DLC rings, but when the later part happens it overwrote my dlc rings with the ones they wanted to give me for story reasons and that annoyed me again. I had a handle on it. Also I thought it was cool that they put several revive stones on the Hounds and the fell child, basically saying "You could technically fight these, but you really shouldn't". It makes me wonder if they had some cool lines if you did fight them, or what do they say if you beat them? I didn't bother to try, the fell child had 3 revive stones at 42? HP each, with great stats and reach. Even if I HAD the rings it would have been a bloodbath.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fun fact about chapter 11: Veyle has a skill that renders her immune to all damage; you literally cannot beat her. You can absolutely hypothetically beat the Hounds, though. I managed to take out Zephia and got a fairly generic "what the heck I gotta retreat" line, but then I had Alear skedaddle because Griss was using warp ragnarok every single turn and there was no way I was gonna take out a whole nother Hound without him killing someone.

Maybe something fun happens if you beat all four of them, I dunno how you'd pull it off without copious prepwork.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah lol, I just started Chapter 11 but I saw the dragon things and Veyle are level 25 while my dudes are all 12-15 so I just thought I'm supposed to flee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It is possible to defeat the Four Hounds in that map but it is very very difficult. There are videos that I won't link so I don't accidentally spoil someone but yeah it can be done