Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

:mome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

was it blown up or was it seriously damaged and grounded in the near future?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

looks like some kind of scientific research platform? hosed up

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Vomik posted:

was it blown up or was it seriously damaged and grounded in the near future?

Supposedly something did get hit but it wasn't anything serious like an AWACS plane.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
they said they cspam would fall within a matter of days after the mods reported GBS massing along the D&D border

there is only one force of good in this war, and it is cspam

literal MIC ghouls expecting a safe posting haven after they somehow got miraculously kicked out of d&d lmfao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia will win.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It's another of those articles where the conclusion doesn't remotely follow from the preceding arguments and I can't work out whether the authors are completely contemptuous of their audience, or are slyly dropping hints to careful readers.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Hubbert posted:

they said they cspam would fall within a matter of days after the mods reported GBS massing along the D&D border

there is only one force of good in this war, and it is cspam

literal MIC ghouls expecting a safe posting haven after they somehow got miraculously kicked out of d&d lmfao

don't worry i'm sure another racist will pop up after this one screeching and crying about the evil tankies destroying democracy

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The reason they failed to control Iraq is because they took Iraq in 30 days. Doing that sort of blitzkrieg while taking minimum casualties necessitates demolishing every loving building and road and hospital and water treatment plant. This meant that there was no clean water or medical treatment or food, the sort of things that are necessary for long term control over a region.

You're 100% right but do you really think Russia is doing a better job here? We destroyed Iraq and also purged the government of any Baathists which also happened to include the people who actually knew how to run the country. Then they ran off and formed their own government, with black flags and more violent executions.

We also spent an incredible amount of money rebuilding but in the end it wasn't enough to convince the population.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Unless you think an insurgency is a magic brain disease contracted from a Koran-bound contagion and not a bunch of really pissed off starving and desperate people with no other options.

What does not wanting invaders in your country have to do with the Koran? My point is that Russia can barely hold what they have now when this is uniformed army against uniformed army shelling each other. What happens when Russia declares victory and what's left of the Ukrainian resistance spends the next 2 decades car bombing "collaborators"?

There's no peaceful way for this to end with Russia in Ukraine that doesn't include immense human suffering.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

kronix posted:

And yeah I worked in communications security for a contractor for 4 years to feed myself and pay my student loans when the economy crashed in 2008. If you have a problem with it, I don't really care in the slightest.

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kronix posted:

You're 100% right but do you really think Russia is doing a better job here? We destroyed Iraq and also purged the government of any Baathists which also happened to include the people who actually knew how to run the country. Then they ran off and formed their own government, with black flags and more violent executions.

We also spent an incredible amount of money rebuilding but in the end it wasn't enough to convince the population.

sounds like mr putin is in need of your expertise

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

you think any of that would ever go back to normal ohio dude under 'normal' circumstances

not very american of you

pretty hosed up to call al-saqr an amerikkan

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

tristeham posted:

pretty hosed up to call al-saqr an amerikkan

he was pretending to be from ohio

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

kronix posted:

What does not wanting invaders in your country have to do with the Koran? My point is that Russia can barely hold what they have now when this is uniformed army against uniformed army shelling each other. What happens when Russia declares victory and what's left of the Ukrainian resistance spends the next 2 decades car bombing "collaborators"?

There's no peaceful way for this to end with Russia in Ukraine that doesn't include immense human suffering.

Just because you are morally bankrupt and suck doesn't mean everybody else is as well. I'm sure you don't think that, but all you do is lie to yourself anyways if you think you are a good guy. Even in this hypothetical you've concocted, you are still the bad guy, because who exactly is giving Ukrainian nationalists $500 billion of weaponry to conduct that terrorism with? It's you, moron.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at the gbs autoban threads where people re-registered

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

bedpan posted:

maybe having worked for a "large defense contractor" has something to do with it

loving hell ban this piece of poo poo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

kronix posted:

Well for starters Luhansk and Donetsk were actively seceding and begging Russia for help, and other than cutting off Ukraine's access to the sea I don't think Russia wants to attempt to fully annex Ukraine right now. You're absolutely right that the bloodshed is going to continue regardless of whether or not the war actually ends - even if Russia were to withdraw all of its troops today, the Ukrainians would begin cleaning house in the DLPR immediately and brother that poo poo would not be pretty.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I don't get the most recent one where he says he reregistered but it's an 09? with no prior bans?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

autobans preserve the custom title now, but turn any image into a rapsheet link

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

kronix posted:

I have no idea and neither do you. I'm just saying I wouldn't place my faith in an 85 year old who's recent greatest hits include arguing with the UN about how Assad didn't actually gas his own people with Russian chemical weapons.

What kind of psycho conspiracy theory is this? You're telling me the Russians gave the Syrians chemical weapons to drop?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russia gave the Moderate Rebels the tools to make chlorine gas so they could draw the US into the war, obviously.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kronix posted:

You're 100% right but do you really think Russia is doing a better job here?

Please quote who you think is arguing this. I need to see your brain ghosts personally.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Russia must strike back at a Ukrainian airborne radar system. So if you see any AN-26s flying around with a guy hanging out the door with a radar gun, let me know.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just to be clear, the initial invasion into Iraq was also a horrendous disaster because it completely demolished all the infrastructure that was needed to stabilize the country. Really loving hard to take and control of a country without running water and electricity.

But the US had a great plan to let the failsons of various senators act as pseudo-governors/administrators after firing all the career Iraqi bureaucrats. Can’t believe the plan didn’t work well.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

kronix posted:

wow

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

kronix posted:

You're 100% right but do you really think Russia is doing a better job here?

For the record, you're not wrong that Russia is facing/will face more guerilla resistance as the take territory westward, where people are less likely to go "good, I like Russia" or "whatever".

That said, the piecemeal approach here does give domestic policing forces more time to crack down on smaller patches of territory, and does make it easier to mollify rebellious cities and towns. It's harder when you're occupying the entire country virtually overnight.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

redneck nazgul posted:

autobans preserve the custom title now, but turn any image into a rapsheet link

oh, thanks. i don't like this

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ukrainian airborne early warning crews on high alert

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Chillgamesh posted:

the Ukrainians would begin cleaning house in the DLPR immediately and brother that poo poo would not be pretty.

Naaah, It's clear that both Ukrainian and Russian speakers have had it with Russia's warcrimes in Donbass.
I think they would let any resident live their life in peace once all this violence blows over. Probably EU aid should be linked to minority protection clauses, just to be sure.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tafferling posted:

13807 civilians killed up to 2010, I guess the USA are pretty good at doing war preventing civilian casualties. Thanks for having noticed me that, I thought it would be much worse.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, maybe this whole thing isn’t quite like the Iraq War…

Anyway, I guess the Ukrainians admit they are operationally encircled, there obviously still ways to get it and out. I guess the idea is Azovstal but it seems like the geography of Mariupol was to their benefit as the Sea of Azov was at least one exist of attack that was only marginally utilized with the plant itself acting as an anchor with they seem to just be squeezing from all sides in a less developed town.

It seems like it makes more sense for Wagner to go slow here rather than rush forward.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Feb 26, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Warcrimes Roadshow

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, maybe this whole thing isn’t quite like the Iraq War…

agreed. The comparisons, beyond some limited tactical observations, just are not very good or clear.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tafferling posted:

Naaah, It's clear that both Ukrainian and Russian speakers have had it with Russia's warcrimes in Donbass.
I think they would let any resident live their life in peace once all this violence blows over. Probably EU aid should be linked to minority protection clauses, just to be sure.

Dude what? You've got official Ukrainian government twitter accounts bragging about "collaborators" like schoolteachers getting dragged out into the street and executed, while they make pulp out of Russian-language books en masse. I have no idea how you could possibly think they'd be willing to live and let live, especially when they'd been indiscriminately bombarding them with artillery for like seven years leading up to this war.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tafferling posted:

https://twitter.com/Linnel15643278/status/1584072809646419968

heroiam slava

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kronix posted:

I missed this part, if you're aware that it was too little too late to fix the damage we cause AND the numerous cascading issues and suffering born from our decisions to do that, why the hell did you find it necessary to add that point at all, because the only reasonable reading of it is as a defense of what we did because "Hey we tried to make it better"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
working class people in both countries who didn't ask for this poo poo are the "good guys" imo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dreylad posted:

working class people in both countries who didn't ask for this poo poo are the "good guys" imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

im the good guy in this situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

A grunt says stupid poo poo. Wow. That's a first.