Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Scarodactyl posted:

I bet the leather is much nicer to move around in in direct sunlight for hours of shoots.

then just use the mail armor and give the officers muscle cuirasses made out of light plastic to imitate the bronze real ones! they expended more effort to be less accurate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Glah posted:

I usually watch American movies with english subtitles even if it isn't my native language because I know english well enough and the subtitles help with bad sound mixing and more difficult accents. But like 10 mins into VVitch I said gently caress it I don't have a clue what these people are saying and changed the subtitles into my native language. It's the translators problem now. Excellent film tho!

That makes total sense, the dialects in the movie are really thick, but more than that the script is basically Shakespeare.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's an aspect of "impressionism" to some of these things and trying to recreate the ideas represented by the stories if not do them exactly. Which can be a mixed bag depending on what you're looking to express and how good you are at depicting it.

Speaking of VVitch, I love Eggers' approach to this. While VVitch had very authentic feel to it through and through, Lighthouse was more about creating the impression of the times through presentation with things like B&W cinematography and funky aspect ratio.

And then with the Northman he went all the way into mindspace of characters. What to us are just myths and stories, to the vikings he depicted those were tangibly real and as true as gravity. Draugs, valkyries etc..

He's an interesting filmmaker for sure!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I want an Eggers Rome movie and I want it now. I also want more Rome in general, c'mon we used to be able to crank them out. Give me some more of that Cleopatra Ben Hur energy in the cinema of today.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

FishFood posted:

That makes total sense, the dialects in the movie are really thick, but more than that the script is basically Shakespeare.

Funnily enough last time I had the same problem was with Deadwood, and that is shakespearian as gently caress. Seems that I was lucky that in my English exams we didn't need to tackle the Bard.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jazerus posted:

yeah being utterly ancient so he could be a dick with no consequences like cato the elder was what cato the younger aspired to from the age of like, 15

He'd feel like the masturbating nazi from Knives Out.

FishFood posted:

I agree with the authenticity vs. accuracy thing with regards to interpretation but I also like it when a production just goes whole-hog on accuracy, like the VVitch, a movie that answers the question "what if 17th Century Puritans made a horror movie?" and absolutely rules.

Oh yeah for sure there's a potential greatness to taking a premise and playing it to the absolute hilt and just seeing what turns out. I think it should be treated less like a simple positive vs negative and more like an artistic (and, necessarily, commercial) decision about what you really want to get done with your work. It feels more straightforward with like an investigative documentary where truth has a real high priority, but if you're creating entertainment I don't think its really a sin to make a movie that's fun and just kind of vaguely suggestive of history (e.g. Gladiator).

That absolutely will not stop me from nitpicking what I view as historical inaccuracies in period pieces, because I think that's 1) valuable for education and 2) just plain fun, but I try not to conflate my "this is not what things were like historically" with "this is how good this piece of art is as art."

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
"Roman Legion vs. Predator" follow-up to Prey.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

"Roman Legion vs. Predator" follow-up to Prey.

Praedator. Starring de-aged AI-Arnold as Centurion Teutonicus

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Venator.

And Predator is the ultimate fits-anywhere concept, you can drop a Predator into any conflict at any location in any era and do a solid story with it, as long as you have a half-decent scriptwriter. It's fine if it's always the same underlying story, just make some interesting period-appropriate characters and you're golden.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kylaer posted:

Venator.

And Predator is the ultimate fits-anywhere concept, you can drop a Predator into any conflict at any location in any era and do a solid story with it, as long as you have a half-decent scriptwriter.

Venator would be neat too, the original movies script was sold as “Hunter”

Bold is 100% true. I’m amazed it took five movies to get to the idea of period-piece Predator. 2 already even brought it up

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

then just use the mail armor and give the officers muscle cuirasses made out of light plastic to imitate the bronze real ones! they expended more effort to be less accurate!

Cost might be a factor, realistic looking mail armor is going to be a lot more expensive to make than layered leather is.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

CrypticFox posted:

Cost might be a factor, realistic looking mail armor is going to be a lot more expensive to make than layered leather is.

Is there even a way to make fake mail for the arts like that without just like, making butted mail which still requires hours upon hours of labor?p

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
You can just knit wool and cover it in silver paint as a substitute for mail, it looks good enough and only absolute nerds like you lot will really care.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
go whole-hog in transporting all the cultural signifiers of rome to their equivalent context in wherever the production is made. so if it's US based then cato is localized as calling himself Theodore Roosevelt Jr. but going around dressed like thomas jefferson in a horse and buggy talking about the yeoman farmer, while everyone else has smartphones

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 24, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CrypticFox posted:

i guarantee that in the UK you can find lorica hamata from reenactors literally all over the place. Also they used it, in that show.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tulip posted:

Hot take, I don't think upper class British accents are a good localization of "just all Romans" for modern English. I'd rather they just do absolute chaos like Death of Stalin, or actually think about what accents would localize for different classes/positions. Failing that, just give everybody thick Jersey Shore accents. They're Italian after all.

Yeah weirdly in my memory Pullo and Vorenus had cockney accents, because that would have made sense, but on re-watching some clips, nope, apparently not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Plebs. Plebs is what you want to watch.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plebs. Plebs is what you want to watch.

Mister Olympus posted:

go whole-hog in transporting all the cultural signifiers of rome to their equivalent context in wherever the production is made. so if it's US based then cato is localized as calling himself Theodore Roosevelt Jr. but going around dressed like thomas jefferson in a horse and buggy talking about the yeoman farmer, while everyone else has smartphones

Plebs is a fun show, but it pretty much takes Mister Olympus's suggestion literally. It's about as inaccurate and anachronistic as you can get while still being set in Rome.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can't believe I'm actually trying to logically think this through in my head but here we go. . .

1) A nipple is extremely sensitive to pressure - seriously tweak your own nipple right now. You don't even need to hit it especially hard or be lactating or aroused or anything to get a flash of pain/pleasure there that you won't see applying a similar squeeze to your ear, nose, elbow, or even genitals.

2) A turgid penis is a lot stiffer and more resisting than your average nipple. You can actually squeeze one pretty loving hard without it getting painful. Even the head can take a lot more in the way of being smashed or squeezed than a nipple. These things are designed to be the penetrating prow of a mighty trireme, after all.

3) Babies don't have teeth. That's where most of the bad parts of biting during a blowjob happen. As long as skin isn't broken and they aren't dragged down the length like a loving rasp there's actually a time and place for nibbling in a good blowjob. "Nibbling" a nipple? Man, you better either be mostly just applying pressure with your lips or have some fine loving motor control over your jaw.

4) Finally: Purple nurples hurt like a motherfucker. Something similiar-ish doesn't have anything like the same affect when applied to a hard dick.

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

And now, having spent my morning coffee contemplating the logistics of blowjobs from infants, I'm going to go do anything else for the rest of the day and try to forget I ever sat down to think this through.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What the gently caress?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just Suetonius being full of poo poo, I wouldn't worry about it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

The weird one to me is Cicero and Cato being age swapped for some reason.

The early 2000s miniseries(favourite of substitute teachers in latin class) with Christopher Walken as Cato has scorched that Cato into my brain. Cato just is Christopher Walken.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Mad Hamish posted:

What the gently caress?

Suetonius (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Suetonius/12Caesars/Tiberius*.html) posted:

43 1 On retiring to Capri he devised a pleasance for his secret orgies: teams of wantons of both sexes, selected as experts in deviant intercourse and dubbed analists, copulated before him in triple unions to excite his flagging passions. 2 Its bedrooms were furnished with the most salacious paintings and sculptures, as well as with an erotic library, in case a performer should need an illustration of what was required. Then in Capri's woods and groves he arranged a number of nooks of venery where boys and girls got up as Pans and nymphs solicited outside bowers and grottoes: people openly called this "the old goat's garden," punning on the island's name.

44 1 He acquired a reputation for still grosser depravities that one can hardly bear to tell or be told, let alone believe. For example, he trained little boys (whom he termed tiddlers) to crawl between his thighs when he went swimming and tease him with their licks and nibbles; and unweaned babies he would put to his organ as though to the breast, being by both nature and age rather fond of this form of satisfaction. 2 Left a painting of Parrhasius's depicting Atalanta pleasuring Meleager with her lips on condition that if the theme displeased him he was to have a million sesterces instead, he chose to keep it and actually hung it in his bedroom. The story is also told that once at a sacrifice, attracted by the acolyte's beauty, he lost control of himself and, hardly waiting for the ceremony to end, rushed him off and debauched him and his brother, the flute-player, too; and subsequently, when they complained of the assault, he had their legs broken.

The Twelve Caesars is a good time. It's ostensibly a history of the first 11 emperors (and Julius Caesar), but many of its specific claims are, uh, a little off the rails.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mad Hamish posted:

What the gently caress?

A really bad attempt at blue humor from a period in 2014 when I got into a dumb phase where I figured that kind of crass, shock humor might be a fun thing to do. In this case in an embarrassingly nerdy way referencing one of the more famously off the rockers claims by Roman historian Suetonius.

At the time I got a pretty good custom av for it, wore that for something like a year.

Me nine years ago was a bit of an idiot and really, really bad at shock humor, what can I say?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Any inaccuracies in HBO Rome are easily explained by the shows entire premise being “what the historians don’t want you to know about, Consuls hate him!” and being a riff on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead. We get scenes like the newsreader showing us history be rewritten in real time. In a lot of ways the main theme of the show is that women and poor people don’t get their deeds recorded like rich aristocrats do despite doing just as much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tulip posted:

Hot take, I don't think upper class British accents are a good localization of "just all Romans" for modern English. I'd rather they just do absolute chaos like Death of Stalin, or actually think about what accents would localize for different classes/positions. Failing that, just give everybody thick Jersey Shore accents. They're Italian after all.

I have seen Roman equivalents being voiced with actual Italian accents exactly once: Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Funny thing is, so much about Roman social norms and history makes more sense when you picture them as gangsters.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is, so much about Roman social norms and history makes more sense when you picture them as gangsters.

Brian Blessed says he literally played Augustus as a mafia don in I, Claudius.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

quote:

On one occasion he went half shaved into an entertainment of young men, as Metrocles tells us in his Apophthegms, and so was beaten by them.
(an anecdote about Diogenes)

Is an "entertainment of young men" just a bunch of dudes partying or some kind of euphemism?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

kaschei posted:

(an anecdote about Diogenes)

Is an "entertainment of young men" just a bunch of dudes partying or some kind of euphemism?

Probably a translation of “symposium”. ie a drinking party, but for well-off dudes who would be personally offended by a goofy-looking bum crashing in

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Is there commentary about horrible regional accents in ancient Rome? The empire was pretty big, and I can't imagine everyone spoke even fully mutually intelligible Latin.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Is there commentary about horrible regional accents in ancient Rome? The empire was pretty big, and I can't imagine everyone spoke even fully mutually intelligible Latin.

Check the SAL linguistics thread, I seem to recall there being some side chatter about something similar a while ago. The question there was when variations on vulgar latin with an accent become Spanish/French/etc, but it touched on it.

fake edit: yeah, starts here.

Here's a nice quote that touches on it.

advanced statsman posted:

With Spanish there’s some contention on what the first text in Castilian, Aragonese or just Ibero-Romance are, with the Cartularies of Valpuesta as the RAE-accepted first texts, but long-time title holders Glosas Emiliaenses provide a great insight, being marginalia for a text in Latin. For Galician-Portuguese, the Notícia de Fiadores is also held as their oldest registry, though there may be an older text, the Pacto of the Pais brothers.
What’s very interesting about all of these is that they’re snapshots of how Vulgar Latin was changing, to the point that even educated people needed to rely on their own way of speaking to make sense of more formal texts, as is the case of the Glosas, or they simply expressed themselves in a Latin that didn’t follow the patterns of the classical language anymore and that eventually became what we know as current Romance languages.
One of the features of Vulgar Latin is that cases started overlapping hard, and some romanists talk of the oblique case, a case that marks the noun as an object in general (as opposed to the nominative case). There is some agreement among romanists that Romance language nouns came from the accusative, with the -um sound changing into something closer to -o gradually. With Iberian Romance, you have VL speakers having influence from Arabic in their vocabulary, but changes in the language cannot be accounted for solely by this influence. A lot of it had to do simply with how people used the language they had and how they kept repeating the same forms. Then again, Romance speakers in Al-Andalus had of course a much stronger Arabic influence, as you can see by their poetry.

I'd just ask there, chances are that there's someone who will not only have a solid answer, but probably a pithy citation where some ancient roman shakes his fist at those hillbillies in Hispania talking all wrong.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What’s the latest we know of an Italic language still existing that wasn’t a Romance language?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

galagazombie posted:

What’s the latest we know of an Italic language still existing that wasn’t a Romance language?

There's Oscan graffiti in Pompeii, so first century AD

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have seen Roman equivalents being voiced with actual Italian accents exactly once: Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Remember that dude who barged in here once insisting that the Romans invented the original sin of corruption and spread it across the world and the proof was that corrupt Italian-Americans in New Jersey acted JUST LIKE corrupt ancient Romans?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

yeah you rarely see any depictions of, say, the fall of the republic actually depict the gangs that were involved, despite milo and clodius pulcher being two of the most interesting guys in the whole story

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Britannia is actually superior to real history.

The "some bullshit" line delivery in the first episode is the best thing ever.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tomn posted:

Remember that dude who barged in here once insisting that the Romans invented the original sin of corruption and spread it across the world and the proof was that corrupt Italian-Americans in New Jersey acted JUST LIKE corrupt ancient Romans?

Was that :agesilaus:?

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Zopotantor posted:

Was that :agesilaus:?

I don't think so. His shtick was how noble and learned the Ancients were so the very suggestion that they might be related to New Jersey would probably make his monocle pop out and his bow tie spin in horror.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A_Bluenoser posted:

I don't think so. His shtick was how noble and learned the Ancients were so the very suggestion that they might be related to New Jersey would probably make his monocle pop out and his bow tie spin in horror.

but only specific ancients, which very conveniently happened to be defined on ethnic lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

but only specific ancients, which very conveniently happened to be defined on ethnic lines

Ah, I thought it was more class-based than ethnicity-based but I must confess that I could never actually be arsed to pay much attention to the details of his drivel.