Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Ahh... figured there was a proper place to find this type of stuff. Thank you! I'll be checking this out (they list a small issue with connecting to my bank but it should be ok).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Coffee Sludge posted:

Ahh... figured there was a proper place to find this type of stuff. Thank you! I'll be checking this out (they list a small issue with connecting to my bank but it should be ok).

I find it's better to not sync your bank and input manually anyway. Means you have to be more conscious of every transaction

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coffee Sludge posted:

Is there any good personal budgeting apps for use on macs? Haven't needed one for some time but things change and now I'm looking for something that isn't a spreadsheet. Or if someone can point me to a personal finance thread if there is one that would be great too.

I've been using https://www.gnucash.org for years, but I mainly use it as a Quicken-style replacement.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is there a good, free or cheap tool for minor edits to audio these days? [edit: More than just trimming the beginning/ending]

I used to use Audacity, but...

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
How sensible is it to put a newer MacOS on an unsupported Macbook Pro? I'm currently on a 2012 15-inch Pro that's still got some life in it, but Apple stopped putting out security updates for Catalina last November and that makes me feel a little bit anxious.

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there a good, free or cheap tool for minor edits to audio these days? [edit: More than just trimming the beginning/ending]

Audacity would still be my recommendation, as poo poo as it is. I suffered through a year of podcast editing in it and eventually got scary good at what is objectively a horrible piece of software, designed by someone who hates humanity on a molecular level. Replace the built-in frequency graph analyser, compressor and de-esser with :yarr: Free :yarr: VSTs and it's actually not entirely painful to work with.

Can you share a bit more about your use case? I could make a better recommendation then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GarageBand? Free with your Mac.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I use https://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/ for quick edits.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

What log am I looking for in Console to find out why my 2015 MacBook keeps turning itself off every night?

I'm assuming it's due to the external monitor, old iMac with an adapter for the LCD, because if I unplug it the laptop stays up. But, it just started happening after a few months of no problems.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

101 posted:

I find it's better to not sync your bank and input manually anyway. Means you have to be more conscious of every transaction

This is possibly very true, and if so, I think there are more free options. I think Dave Ramsey’s program is free if you don’t link it to banks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I have a problem where video files won't open or play. If I try to open or QuickLook one it causes whatever app it is to hang. Sometimes if I wait long enough (typically a few minutes) the video might open. It doesn't matter what app, what video file, or what drive (local SSD, external HDD, mounted NAS). HEVC videos shot on my phone, MP4 movies, videos saved from YouTube or Twitter, etc. Nothing works. Photos.app, Plex, Quicktime, IINA, VLC, Finder QuickLook, Finder thumbnail previews, etc. Every app I try hangs with every video file. Any suggestions where to start looking into this? Not sure what to look for in logs or console.app.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Violator posted:

I have a problem where video files won't open or play. If I try to open or QuickLook one it causes whatever app it is to hang. Sometimes if I wait long enough (typically a few minutes) the video might open. It doesn't matter what app, what video file, or what drive (local SSD, external HDD, mounted NAS). HEVC videos shot on my phone, MP4 movies, videos saved from YouTube or Twitter, etc. Nothing works. Photos.app, Plex, Quicktime, IINA, VLC, Finder QuickLook, Finder thumbnail previews, etc. Every app I try hangs with every video file. Any suggestions where to start looking into this? Not sure what to look for in logs or console.app.

Maybe disabling hardware acceleration in IINA and using the software decoder and see if it's a graphics chip-related thing

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Can you share a bit more about your use case? I could make a better recommendation then.

For now, I just need to concatenate some WAV files, trim little bits and pieces out (sometimes from the inside, not the edges), maybe do a fade or two, and eventually save it back to WAV format. Things like that.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there any way to get the Mac version of photos to sort the main "library" or the auto-generated "people" photos by newest first rather than older first?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don’t think I like IINA that much. It might be fine for local files but it’s kind of the pits for network streams. Opens new windows instead of old ones when called from CLI, doesn’t handle stream hiccups gracefully, defaults to ‘http’ for stream URLs and you have to type out “[url]https://“[/url] instead of just “s” (and no option to default to https), and doesn’t remember recent network steams in the pop up window except it totally does but you have dig it out of a sub menu.

I can understand where people might like it but I really wish it behaved a bit better.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there a free way I can get middle click on my trackpad?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

For now, I just need to concatenate some WAV files, trim little bits and pieces out (sometimes from the inside, not the edges), maybe do a fade or two, and eventually save it back to WAV format. Things like that.

Yeah, I stand by Audacity.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

teraflame posted:

Is there a free way I can get middle click on my trackpad?

Just buy BetterTouchTool. Its worth it - I love my three finger gestures for opening/closing/swiping through tabs on all my apps. MiddleClick is a free alternative.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Yeah, I stand by Audacity.

I thought there were some major concerns about data collection in Audacity? Did that turn out not to be true?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyone else been getting an issue in Safari when restoring a previous browsing session where your window and all its tabs appear to open correctly, and you mouse over a tab and it shows the correct site/url/contents, and when you actually open the tab it's from 2-3 pages ago in the history and there's no option to go Forward?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I thought there were some major concerns about data collection in Audacity? Did that turn out not to be true?

Iirc it was mostly overblown by the, understandably pissed, FOSS community and you can opt out. Should that not be true there are forks people have made as a response but I can comment to their quality or if they have been rolling in changes/updates Audacity has made since (if any).

Violator
May 15, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Maybe disabling hardware acceleration in IINA and using the software decoder and see if it's a graphics chip-related thing

Ah excellent idea. Haven’t had time to test but will report back when I do.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Warbird posted:

Iirc it was mostly overblown by the, understandably pissed, FOSS community and you can opt out. Should that not be true there are forks people have made as a response but I can comment to their quality or if they have been rolling in changes/updates Audacity has made since (if any).

It's not overblown IMO. Muse Group (the company which bought out Audacity) has done some really lovely things in recent years, such as threatening a Chinese man who crossed them with deportation back to China... knowing, and pointing out, and using as leverage, the fact that he had criticized China's ruling government very harshly and probably would not have a good time back home.

If you use Audacity you should be seeking something else you can move to. Muse Group is not nice and eventually they're going to figure out some hosed up way to monetize you.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I'm back. I think I got most of my previous issues sorted (I probably had poo poo cables). I still can't quite get my audio interface to work in discord, but I'm blaming Roland for that based on the comments from other folks. I probably need to go back and undo some of the strange things I attempted to work around that....

Anyway, I'm curious if you all have recommendations for window management? The fact that you can't snap windows side by side is kinda silly to me. A coworker recommended Spectacle, which is fine, but I'm curious if there is anything better (and actively maintained).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You can right-click the zoom (green) widget to get some snap controls, but you’re better off just buying BetterSnapTool or BetterTouchTool (more expensive, more features).

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Fedule posted:

Anyone else been getting an issue in Safari when restoring a previous browsing session where your window and all its tabs appear to open correctly, and you mouse over a tab and it shows the correct site/url/contents, and when you actually open the tab it's from 2-3 pages ago in the history and there's no option to go Forward?

Yes, with the same symptoms. But I haven’t worked out how to fix it yet, or checked if it still happens after the latest updates.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nativity In Black posted:

Anyway, I'm curious if you all have recommendations for window management? The fact that you can't snap windows side by side is kinda silly to me. A coworker recommended Spectacle, which is fine, but I'm curious if there is anything better (and actively maintained).
I really like Swish

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Nativity In Black posted:

A coworker recommended Spectacle, which is fine, but I'm curious if there is anything better (and actively maintained).

Spectacle forked off to become Rectangle, which is actively maintained.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why does finder always forget my NAS server? Connected with smb.

Is there a way to map it as network drive like in Windows?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If it’s a Synology you’ll want to enable a setting or two in the file share section of the control panel to have it advertised as a network drive and so on. You’ll still need to click in and have it auto connect every so often but you don’t have to go looking.

Additionally if you’re in Syn town, check out Synology Drive Sync if you’re on a newer Mac. It operates similar to Dropbox/Onedrive where it will list all the files in your shares in such a way that they show up but will only actually pull them down when needed or told to with the additional benefit that it’ll periodically clean up after itself and remove unused files. I actually prefer it to SMB for anything where I don’t need newly added files locally right this second (files have to be indexed to show up) or the files in question don’t really need to be available locally to begin with (bulk photo upload).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Additionally if you’re in Syn town, check out Synology Drive Sync if you’re on a newer Mac. It operates similar to Dropbox/Onedrive where it will list all the files in your shares in such a way that they show up but will only actually pull them down when needed or told to with the additional benefit that it’ll periodically clean up after itself and remove unused files. I actually prefer it to SMB for anything where I don’t need newly added files locally right this second (files have to be indexed to show up) or the files in question don’t really need to be available locally to begin with (bulk photo upload).

Wait, do you have a version of Synology Drive that does file streaming? Mine downloads the whole folder!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yes? I can tell it to download whatever and keep it there at a dir or file level but default is to stream it down per file.

This fellow walks through how to set it up and so on:

https://youtu.be/iUxuiCLuj70

I want to say it hooks into finder as well if you use the search there. There are a few advantages with doing a network mount instead, but there’s nothing stopping you from having both.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tuyop posted:

Wait, do you have a version of Synology Drive that does file streaming? Mine downloads the whole folder!

Synology Drive Client 3.2 and Synology Drive Server 2.0 gives you the option to set up On-demand sync, which should let you (mostly) replicate that functionality.

https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutorial/What_is_On-demand_Sync

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh poo poo I love that guy's videos and didn't know he had a new one.

I constantly have problems with Mac forgetting my NAS via SMB which is frustrating as it never happens on Windows but I'll definitely give Drive a shot.

Thanks for this!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone have a duplicate file/photo finder for OSX that they like? I'm trying Gemini 2 right now, but am a little bummed that it's subscription based. There's also 'Duplicate File Finder' which seems to get OK reviews: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/duplicate-file-finder-remover/id1032755628?mt=12

Anyone have any recommendations?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Synology Drive Client 3.2 and Synology Drive Server 2.0 gives you the option to set up On-demand sync, which should let you (mostly) replicate that functionality.

https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutorial/What_is_On-demand_Sync

Wow that's great, I hadn't been reading any of the changelogs and just didn't notice when they implemented this on Mac. Thank you for the heads up everyone!

Now I just have to VERY CAREFULLY get my photography workflows working with this...

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

frogbs posted:

Does anyone have a duplicate file/photo finder for OSX that they like? I'm trying Gemini 2 right now, but am a little bummed that it's subscription based.

If you scroll down on the purchase page you can also do a one-time purchase

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Yeah, there's pre-acquisition forks that work fine, I'd say stick to those.

In other news, today I tried to do Real Word Processing and was saddened by this message:

gently caress you, Apple! Not even the implicit threat of having to use LibreOffice is enough to make me move away from my 11-year-old MBP!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So, it's $CURRENT_YEAR. Is there a way to force the menubar to be either white-on-black or black-on-white at all times regardless of wallpaper? My whole system is in dark mode, but certain wallpapers in my rotating collection mess things up, and also having multi displays with menubar widgets that change theme depending on the menubar appearance get really stupid when one display has a dark menubar and one has a light menubar. I found Menu Bar Tint and got excited but it turns out that just paints over the menubar and doesn't change the theme in any way that matters.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1630588360270946307

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Fedule posted:

So, it's $CURRENT_YEAR. Is there a way to force the menubar to be either white-on-black or black-on-white at all times regardless of wallpaper? My whole system is in dark mode, but certain wallpapers in my rotating collection mess things up, and also having multi displays with menubar widgets that change theme depending on the menubar appearance get really stupid when one display has a dark menubar and one has a light menubar. I found Menu Bar Tint and got excited but it turns out that just paints over the menubar and doesn't change the theme in any way that matters.

I'm a little confused what exactly is is you want. I was going to recommend TopNotch, but that just blacks out the menu bar too