Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

FuturePastNow posted:

The trick is alcohol

Old age is in line behind the most epic of hangovers. Maya just needs to stop drinking to allow for the hangover to start.

Or maybe it's the noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Seems like stinkboi learned the stink by paying attention to the wrong part of Young Jaggadork's sermon

"wait arterial blood does what"

put that together with the Pale Bolt phase and some really lovely death metal, ta-dah

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Seems like stinkboi learned the stink by paying attention to the wrong part of Young Jaggadork's sermon

"wait arterial blood does what"

put that together with the Pale Bolt phase and some really lovely death metal, ta-dah

That matches his well established habit of only learning wrong lessons, ayup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Radio Paranoia posted:

Welp, I just need to figure out the single cutting motion bit and I'm gonna live forever.

It's not hard; The general insinuation is it's literally just not giving a gently caress. Rules are for others, you are a loving Royalty. If you want to be kind, be kind. If someone is in your way Cut them down and don't give a gently caress further five minutes after they hit the floor. You are Royalty, your actions define the world around you as you Cut your way through it in thought, word and action.

Solomon would've achieved Royalty immediately if he'd just struck his own path instead of idolizing Zoss.

And should also tell you why attaining Royalty is indeed very very stupid.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the holy poopacy posted:

Seems accurate, and would give some context to Mottom's problems in book 2--the fruit wasn't losing potency, she was losing her resolve.

Wasn't that kinda the point of her turn there, it didn't occur to her before Allison zapped the tree that she didn't need omnipotence *and* some fuckin monster fruit?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not hard; The general insinuation is it's literally just not giving a gently caress. Rules are for others, you are a loving Royalty. If you want to be kind, be kind. If someone is in your way Cut them down and don't give a gently caress further five minutes after they hit the floor. You are Royalty, your actions define the world around you as you Cut your way through it in thought, word and action.

Solomon would've achieved Royalty immediately if he'd just struck his own path instead of idolizing Zoss.

And should also tell you why attaining Royalty is indeed very very stupid.

Also having a chunk of God wedged in your head to give your raw will infinite power to shape the world. Otherwise completely not giving a gently caress just makes you the guy huffing gas in the parking lot at 2PM

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 25, 2023

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Also having a chunk of God wedged in your head to give your raw will infinite power to shape the world. Otherwise completely not giving a gently caress just makes you the guy who huffs gas and starts fights in the parking lot.

The Royal Wook. He gives no fucks and will end every life standing between him and his next whippet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Wasn't that kinda the point of her turn there, it didn't occur to her before Allison zapped the tree that she didn't need omnipotence *and* some fuckin monster fruit?

Also having a chunk of God wedged in your head to give your raw will infinite power to shape the world. Otherwise completely not giving a gently caress just makes you the guy huffing gas in the parking lot at 2PM

That is still Royalty though. That's the very essence and perverse truth of it; A screaming meth head living his life without giving a gently caress has attained Royalty without effort at all. Donald Trump, the supreme egotistical narcissist, Cutting through common decency, and laws, could be argued to have attained Royalty. Attaining Royalty is not an honorable goal, it is a selfish and toxic pursuit.

Meti, living in a marketplace barrel in rags without shame, similarly attained Royalty. Especially as she'd probably call you a fool and tell to gently caress off if you stated as such to her.

The Keys are but toys of idiot children having an argument.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I do not believe it is the case that being a screaming rear end in a top hat will allow you to kill God in this setting.
Or you would see more screaming assholes successfully challenging the demiurges, rather than only the ones who train in forbidden sword arts for years.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
There is a difference between not giving a gently caress because you don't have any to give, and not giving a gently caress because you guard your carefully cultivated fucks jealously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

I do not believe it is the case that being a screaming rear end in a top hat will allow you to kill God in this setting.
Or you would see more screaming assholes successfully challenging the demiurges, rather than only the ones who train in forbidden sword arts for years.

Killing God is not the definition of Royalty.

Royalty is simply a continuous cutting motion.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't think Royalty is inherently toxic, necessarily. It's more that nearly everyone capable of achieving it is incredibly toxic already.

And it's a pretty good joke by Yisun that anybody who actively seeks to be Royal for its own sake will find it impossible to ever quite get there. They do an awful lot of damage in the seeking though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
intra's koans stress that if you try to "attain" royalty at all, you won't. at heart it's just buddhist enlightenment coupled with CHIM, achieving cosmic self-actualization by transcending the falsehoods of the world. this does not simply mean ignoring rules. incubus is a man who has spent eons doing one long skateboard kickflip and saying rules are for suckers, and he will never achieve royalty

meti is one of the foulest and most abrasive characters in the setting and intra was one of the noblest, but they both took that idiot's step

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Also Aesma and Hansa are both almost diametrically opposite but both achieved or were very close to Royalty.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I achieved Royalty the other day actually, it rules

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No American president has achieved Royalty there were one or two wars over it I think

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
When you achieve Royalty, mainly what happens is you're able to sleep in another half hour or take a quick nap without getting a migraine

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Shoehead posted:

When you achieve Royalty, mainly what happens is you're able to sleep in another half hour or take a quick nap without getting a migraine

My god... What power!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Kuros posted:

Clown Corps

Oxxidation posted:

PILLOWFIGHT FORBIDDEN ART
DREAM WITHIN A DREAM
PERFECT NIGHT’S REST: “THE BIG SLEEP”

Drakyn posted:

PJ, the Jester in Nightcap, the Snorer, the Boy of Infinite Repose, Bearer of the Word NAP and Pagliacci of the Seven-Ring Circus

read clown corps

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shoehead posted:

I achieved Royalty the other day actually, it rules

*shouting from the top of a prime angel cruising by:

Do a Kickflip!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

No American president has achieved Royalty there were one or two wars over it I think

lol if you think Trump looking straight into the eclipse wasn't a small sliver of Royalty

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Maybe a flicker. He's too gog but not clowned up. Caring about how he's seen. Not going to be going all the way with that guy. A poster's heart but imo pre-demiurge

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

lol if you think Trump looking straight into the eclipse wasn't a small sliver of Royalty

Just being a Furious Dumbass isn't enough by itself to be Royal. He wants it way too much to ever be it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dan Rykert is way closer if you ask me

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Declaring Trump has achieved royalty is quite a take when he's just a more famous version of the dozens of self deluded assholes I've met over my life. He's distressingly typical, honestly.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Much to consider.....

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Royalty is total detachment from the fruit of action, which ironically allows for total devotion to action in a universe where all action is futility, all life conflict, all existence fraught with suffering.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

intra's koans stress that if you try to "attain" royalty at all, you won't. at heart it's just buddhist enlightenment coupled with CHIM, achieving cosmic self-actualization by transcending the falsehoods of the world. this does not simply mean ignoring rules. incubus is a man who has spent eons doing one long skateboard kickflip and saying rules are for suckers, and he will never achieve royalty

meti is one of the foulest and most abrasive characters in the setting and intra was one of the noblest, but they both took that idiot's step

I like this contrast a lot, btw. Intra offers an Ecclesiastes-type perspective (with due context of course), a contemplation from a position of virtue as consequence of a life striving towards true nobility (which is very laudable). Meti becomes wise by realizing a profound awareness of how much a total dumbass she is with a sword. It's the paradox of wisdom through folly or the holy fool - it's the realization that, among other things, of "for the wise and the foolish both die".

On the other direction, Solomon might be the worst offender. Maybe Jagganoth only surpasses him because he is invulnerable, but Solomon mistakes having all that power as being demonstrative of Royalty while drowning in his own vanity, going further and further away from it.

The thing I like the most about the concept is that Royalty is not power, it's a particular type of transcendence that is not necessarily better or enlightening. Like, maybe it works in degrees, maybe it is a state or there are variations of the type. Maybe Allison has actually reached the one true form of it and others were just loving around (very likely)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dead gay comedy forums posted:

On the other direction, Solomon might be the worst offender. Maybe Jagganoth only surpasses him because he is invulnerable, but Solomon mistakes having all that power as being demonstrative of Royalty while drowning in his own vanity, going further and further away from it.

See though where i think K6BD is different is that royalty, unlike other forms of transcendence or enlightenment, needs no virtue and is agnostic to your sins, and can be attained without any special knowledge or learning. It doesnt need a doctrine or philosophy.

You can be a complete rear end in a top hat and be royalty.
You can be a complete idiot and be royalty.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ah, so it is like the normal use of the word

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

See though where i think K6BD is different is that royalty, unlike other forms of transcendence or enlightenment, needs no virtue and is agnostic to your sins, and can be attained without any special knowledge or learning. It doesnt need a doctrine or philosophy.

there's a thing in Glorantha, the setting of King of Dragon Pass and Ride Like The Wind, called Occlusion: what you get when you have gotten THIIS close to enlightenment and then hosed it at the last step

the Occluded are few in number and all of them are absolutely terrifying threats, because they have answered the question 'what profits a man if he gain the entire world at the cost of his soul' with 'a world, duh, is this a trick question'

Jagganoth and Jadis both got THIIIIIS close to Royalty and then hosed it at the last second; the rest tripped pretty early on the road there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Letmebefrank posted:

Ah, so it is like the normal use of the word

:hmmyes:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's a thing in Glorantha, the setting of King of Dragon Pass and Ride Like The Wind, called Occlusion: what you get when you have gotten THIIS close to enlightenment and then hosed it at the last step

the Occluded are few in number and all of them are absolutely terrifying threats, because they have answered the question 'what profits a man if he gain the entire world at the cost of his soul' with 'a world, duh, is this a trick question'

Jagganoth and Jadis both got THIIIIIS close to Royalty and then hosed it at the last second; the rest tripped pretty early on the road there.

The answer in k6bd is "gently caress you im keeping both"

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

edit: whoops

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Pretty sure in some understandings irl you can be normally fully enlightened and still be wrathful

There's also the marian heresy which says sin as it is conceived of doesn't exist and is not strictly an obstacle to eternal life. The other apostles weren't super into this concept & that rear end in a top hat Paul in particular was like "drat. women don't even deserve get onto heaven i cannot believe this poo poo." A lot of really wild concepts getting knocked around in the proto church.

There's a lot of connections in the ancient world that are weirdly glossed or not commonly referred to. There's deities cross pollinating and demigods like Hercules end up as bodhisattvas. Like literally herc with his club and lion skin standing by the buddha throne waiting to beat rear end in case any tempting demons approach to gently caress this up.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Joe Slowboat posted:

Royalty is total detachment from the fruit of action, which ironically allows for total devotion to action in a universe where all action is futility, all life conflict, all existence fraught with suffering.

The connection to action is very important, after all, "Royalty is a continuous cutting motion". You can act Royally, but you cannot BE Royal.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There's a lot of connections in the ancient world that are weirdly glossed or not commonly referred to. There's deities cross pollinating and demigods like Hercules end up as bodhisattvas. Like literally herc with his club and lion skin standing by the buddha throne waiting to beat rear end in case any tempting demons approach to gently caress this up.

Greco-Buddhist art is great but it’s more that the Classical Greek statue/image of Heracles with the three-quarters pose and the club was a major part of their trade goods and had an influence on temple sculpture, so was adopted as a figurative guardian deity for the Buddha. The character of Heracles didn’t really come along, just the image of a very dynamically standing man with club, which is frankly enough.

So you eventually get Japanese guardian deities in Buddhist shrines who can be traced iconographically to Heracles, through a series of inspirations and interpretations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Scallop Eyes posted:

"Royalty is a continuous cutting motion"

The comments on the website seem to be a bit judge-y of Jaggers.

Its hardly his fault if, in the attempt to make a continuous cutting motion, dudes keep walking into the space where he's making that motion.

No wonder its so hard to attain Royalty.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Jagga at this point in time is Stone Cold Steve Austin, preparing to assault his ancient hosed up boss. Ultimate Face energy

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What’s the YouTube link in the hidden text, for those of us browsing on our phones?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

What’s the YouTube link in the hidden text, for those of us browsing on our phones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvzxm8ZRedc

devoid of redemption by pallbearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Elissimpark posted:

Its hardly his fault if, in the attempt to make a continuous cutting motion, dudes keep walking into the space where he's making that motion.

No wonder its so hard to attain Royalty.

It's hard to attain continuous Royalty. A single act of cutting is also Royal, and you could argue it's been done before in the comic,like Allison masking the unchained devil or White Chain willing/punching herself a flesh body. The problem arises when you try to do stuff like that every single moment.

But one of the questions of the series is, should you even want to do that? So far, that road only leads to a quest to murder the universe, or living in a barrel in the street.

Being Royal only when the moments needs you to be, or rather, only when you want to, to me seems the true (or at least best) way of achieving Royalty.