Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

kronix posted:

The US did in 30 days what Russia couldn't do in a year and still failed to maintain control of Iraq which the entire point of my post from GBS.

And yeah I worked in communications security for a contractor for 4 years to feed myself and pay my student loans when the economy crashed in 2008. If you have a problem with it, I don't really care in the slightest.

you're a monster. 🖕

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nobody wants peace, that's why this poo poo will keep going until one side cracks.

Ukrainians should be thinking about how they can get out of this mess because they're the ones suffering the most, but a lot of the decisions aren't up to them anymore.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
You pay taxes to a US Government that helped pay his way through school, who's the real monsters here

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Honestly, I feel like a lot of these problems could be solved by Russia simply going back home and not invading sovereign nations anymore.

Domestic politics makes this extremely unlikely.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Dreylad posted:

White peace is going to be hard when Ukraine wants reparations.

Well, Russia should try and be the better side and honourably give up right?
Wouldn't want to uselessly prolong civilian suffering in the Donbass.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
From a Russian perspective, Trump was assumed to be a better partner, and largely still was. I think part of that was both that Trump had removed troops from German as well as the fact that Biden had upped arms shipments above Trump was doing in 2021. US-Russian relations were still quite poor under Trump but I would say across society that Russian people viewed Trump more positively including the government.

As far as the German defense budget, I think it is very fair to say that the Germans were not prepared for a fight and haven't for a very long time. It is also unclear exactly how much of that special military budget is going to happen as it doesn't really seem to be a clear game plan so far for procurement beyond Germany will get the F-35 at some point.

It wasn't just Germany but there was plenty of talk across Europe about rearmament and a lot of that doesn't seem like it has materialized outside out of Poland and general F-35 purchases.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

You pay taxes to a US Government that helped pay his way through school, who's the real monsters here

I've said this a million times but I'll say it again, Americans would have crucified all incumbents currently holding office if the US allowed Iraq to trade in euros setting precedent for other oil producing countries doing the same, devaluing the dollar massively, driving up the cost of living for Americans (food, petrol, everything). The war was unpopular for many people with some good reasons (massive murder of civilians is one), but the public anger created by it was nothing compared to how angry absolutely everyone would be when their grocery shopping basket tripled in price. I don't think Americans realise how unbelievably wealthy the US is and how high the general quality of life is for Americans (even the poorest) because of these wars. Plus Saddam Hussein was invading his neighbours and ignoring that would destroy the integrity of the norm of state borders, since other countries would also just start invading each other since there are no consequences. England and France made the mistake of not acting when Germany started invading it's neighbours, it would have been a mistake for the US too, and the war would still have happened only Iraq's army would have been much more massive and wealthy and experienced, making the US lose far more soldiers than it did acting sooner.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i liked your earlier work

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

lol if you think cspam posters have an income to pay taxes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i survive off donations from plinkey

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Zodium posted:

you're a monster. 🖕

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Al! posted:

i survive off donations from plinkey

how do you eat that many meatballs?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tafferling posted:

Well, Russia should try and be the better side and honourably give up right?
Wouldn't want to uselessly prolong civilian suffering in the Donbass.

giving up means letting Ukraine genocide the DPR and LPR

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

Department of State put out a statement that Crime is Ukraine's, welp, i guess that's the mission statement for this year

Isn't that where all the gas is? Makes sense. Ukraine is gonna have to pay us back.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

loving war profiteer coming in here talking about morality lmao

Cerebral Bore posted:

just lmao forever @ the dude yelling about the horrible illegal invasion being a literal illegal invasion planner

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ItohRespectArmy posted:

2018 lmao, I expected that to be some really old post from like 2007 or something

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

From a Russian perspective, Trump was assumed to be a better partner, and largely still was.

The average Russian, perhaps. I don't think that the Russian government saw much difference in terms of policy between Clinton, GWB, Obama, and Trump, and they weren't wrong in that assessment.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
What I still don’t get about y’all tankies in this thread is like have you never seen a movie?

It’s like in LOTR you saw the urukhai and the bad guy Southrons and said “being evil is cool”
It’s like someone watching Harry Potter and thinking, “Death eaters rule I wanna be a dark lord. Pure tankie Slytherin brains.

It’s crazy because this is basically like the Avengers in real life, you watch a real life Thandos trying to snap Ukraine in half and you think “awesome”. Time to grow up.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

jdpon now

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
its actually more like the classic manga artwork berzerk

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
welcum gbs refugees

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think the Russian government cared about what the US president thought as much as what European presidents/chancellors/leaders thought.

It just turned out that it doesn't matter what Europeans think.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1629441577121894406

why doesnt he just punch the russians

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

kronix posted:

You're 100% right but do you really think Russia is doing a better job here? We destroyed Iraq and also purged the government of any Baathists which also happened to include the people who actually knew how to run the country. Then they ran off and formed their own government, with black flags and more violent executions.

We also spent an incredible amount of money rebuilding but in the end it wasn't enough to convince the population.

lmfaoooo

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah, and probably ethnic cleansing in Crimea is they left as well. It isn't a good ending.

Majorian posted:

The average Russian, perhaps. I don't think that the Russian government saw much difference in terms of policy between Clinton, GWB, Obama, and Trump, and they weren't wrong in that assessment.

I think they Trump has a positive as he was much more isolationist than his predecessors while relations weren't warm. Remember, under Clinton, Pristina happened, under GWB Georgia happened, and under Obama Euromadian occurred; in contrast Trump was relatively benign.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

kronix posted:

You're 100% right but do you really think Russia is doing a better job here? We destroyed Iraq and also purged the government of any Baathists which also happened to include the people who actually knew how to run the country. Then they ran off and formed their own government, with black flags and more violent executions.

We also spent an incredible amount of money rebuilding but in the end it wasn't enough to convince the population.

What does not wanting invaders in your country have to do with the Koran? My point is that Russia can barely hold what they have now when this is uniformed army against uniformed army shelling each other. What happens when Russia declares victory and what's left of the Ukrainian resistance spends the next 2 decades car bombing "collaborators"?

There's no peaceful way for this to end with Russia in Ukraine that doesn't include immense human suffering.

why its almost as if rebuilding things is way more difficult than destroying them and its a form of false economy to just destroy things indiscriminately under the assumption they can be easily rebuilt

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't think it will happen. The prospect of EU integration makes this extremely unlikely.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

kronix posted:

The US did in 30 days what Russia couldn't do in a year and still failed to maintain control of Iraq which the entire point of my post from GBS.

And yeah I worked in communications security for a contractor for 4 years to feed myself and pay my student loans when the economy crashed in 2008. If you have a problem with it, I don't really care in the slightest.

That explains it ;p

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Ukraine is never going to advance inside DPR and LPR again so its not worth arguing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tafferling posted:

I don't think it will happen. The prospect of EU integration makes this extremely unlikely.

The EU is compliant with the genocide of the ethnic Russians in that region. It simply would not be reported on. Or they would be reported as 'traitors'. The west has already celebrated the arrest and disappearing of teachers who dared teach Russian.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1629898928954003457

personally i think the humane thing to do would be to keep the children in a war zone

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They will if the Russian army retreats far enough. But otherwise yes it is kind of a moot argument.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

The EU is compliant with the genocide of the ethnic Russians in that region. It simply would not be reported on.

you think the media would do that??? just ignore a genocide???

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

The EU is compliant with the genocide of the ethnic Russians in that region. It simply would not be reported on.

It would absolutely be reported on but in the guise of rooting out Russian sympathizers

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Voldemort Did Nothing Wrong.

Tafferling posted:

I don't think it will happen.

Citation needed.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
tbf if you could magically create a bunch of stuff for me out of nothing id be ok with you being in charge

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I think they Trump has a positive as he was much more isolationist than his predecessors while relations weren't warm. Remember, under Clinton, Pristina happened, under GWB Georgia happened, and under Obama Euromadian occurred; in contrast Trump was relatively benign.

I dunno, I think they probably weren't thrilled at Trump getting the ball rolling on actually arming Ukraine.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Tafferling posted:

Have you missed all the times Ukraine has said that's their intention, and all the articles in the Western media advocating for it happening? All the articles talking about how killing civilians is cool and good because they were the bad kind of civilians?

Genuinely, have you missed them, have you not believed the repeatedly stated intentions of Ukraine, do you believe they will change their minds at the last second, or that a NATO force will swoop in to stop them? Which one of these?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Tafferling posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1629898928954003457

personally i think the humane thing to do would be to keep the children in a war zone

it's cool how everyone in the west just knows what's happening to the children and it would have been better to just bomb them or something?