Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

After The War posted:

I'm just counting the days until we find out this was One Weird Trick to get around copyright extension statutes, contract agreements, or other IP ownership shenanigans.

Don't ask me what, of course, I barely understand the US side of things, let alone the UK.
It was One Weird Trick to sell racist nostalgia box sets to boomers.

Dahl as the author himself, before he went fully conspiracy brained, was amenable to editing his books to make them more accessible to children. He removed all the anti-African stuff from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in 1973 after reading some letters from the NAACP, references to Britain's confusing pre-decimal currency were removed a few years after decimalization on the suggestion of his publisher that children would find it confusing, and so on.

This appears to be before he decided that all publishers were Jews who tampered with books on purpose, or at least was able to care about making his books less unpleasant and confusing to read for children.

Now of course in the current round of howling culture war the publisher has announced the Original Dahl Collectors Edition for adult collectors, so you can have all the racism and imperial nostalgia that you desire, because kids don't have money but reactionary boomers terrified of the slightest change definitely do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

After The War posted:

I'm just counting the days until we find out this was One Weird Trick to get around copyright extension statutes, contract agreements, or other IP ownership shenanigans.

Don't ask me what, of course, I barely understand the US side of things, let alone the UK.

I swear something similar happened a number of years ago, back when SJW was the pejorative of choice; Some company had done something that looked vaguely kinda progressive if you squinted, conservatives were screaming SJW about it, and the company kept coming out and saying "No, we're doing it because money."

drat, now it's gonna bug me because I know I'm not going to remember what the hell I'm trying to talk about.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

You're not wrong, but why would we do this by misrepresenting the man's words? There are plenty of other books out there written by less terrible people that we could be putting into school curricula and buying for our kids. Hell, why not get some from authors who are Jewish, women, Black, or even fat or ugly or disfigured? There's probably a fat kid out there who would really love to read a book about how alienating it can be to be fat in school just to see that someone understands. We're never going to run out of books for kids, or authors to write them; if this guy was terrible (and he absolutely was), let's just dump him in the garbage can and move on rather than trying to hang onto some piece of him. I loved his books when I was a kid, but I'd probably have loved other books if I'd read them then, too.

AS A PARENT, I have noticed that, beyond the obvious racism/sexism/bigotry that's present in older children's books, the actual stories also tend to drift further and further from modern children's frame of reference. This means that even if you fix the obvious bad stuff, you still end up with a story that the kids are not gonna really connect with a lot of the time.
Like, Pippi Longstocking's dad is no longer "king of the negroes" or however that was translated, but a pirate king. But that doesn't help that Tommi and Anika (or whatever they're called in English) and their parents aren't really how people in the 21st century act. No parents expect kids to not get their Sunday clothes dirty or keep quiet at the table where they have to sit, so the whole premise doesn't really fit anymore, even if the moral and story still checks out.

What I'm saying is that we should absolutely retire some classics and make room for all the great new books.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grape posted:

It's funny but all things aside, the smug nerd hipster energy might be the worst thing about Ishida.

And I who thought that it was dehumanizing of trans people.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/choochoobear/status/1629884152387457027?s=20

Fuckit, just saw this while scrolling Twitter, it's political enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Sinfest Sunday

Mixing up Alfred E. Newman and Pee Wee Herman is pretty shameful. Not a single thing to do with either character, not even a "what me worry?"

Also I just realized that "this is fine" is our generation's "what me worry?".

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Sinfest Sunday

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm sure that throwing away thousands of dollars on an engagement ring is what the millennial in a tie would do to save money on streaming.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
suits suck, saying gently caress 'em is a good example

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So... this isn't new, but are there like two posters posting daily comic roundups without ever bothering to check whether most of their comics were already posted on the very same page?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

You're not wrong, but why would we do this by misrepresenting the man's words? There are plenty of other books out there written by less terrible people that we could be putting into school curricula and buying for our kids. Hell, why not get some from authors who are Jewish, women, Black, or even fat or ugly or disfigured? There's probably a fat kid out there who would really love to read a book about how alienating it can be to be fat in school just to see that someone understands. We're never going to run out of books for kids, or authors to write them; if this guy was terrible (and he absolutely was), let's just dump him in the garbage can and move on rather than trying to hang onto some piece of him. I loved his books when I was a kid, but I'd probably have loved other books if I'd read them then, too.
I mean, yes, that is definitely the better option, and this decision was definitely fueled by money and not actual sensitivity, but the sort of changes you're describing like changing school reading curricula are notoriously difficult, and something conservatives will fight even harder (and with more success) than what's happening here. It would be great if we could get there and I think we should be trying for it as hard as possible but it's not a simple either/or choice we can just flip a switch on. Mostly because of the very same culture warriors who got really mad at the idea of taking the n-word out of Tom Sawyer.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Angepain posted:

Bill Gates' two greatest crimes: mass murder through evil spooky vaccines, and Microsoft Windows

If anything, his greatest crime preventing more vaccines by opposing cheap generic versions for countries with less resources. Instead of what we ended up doing which was giving them our about to expire left-overs. Oh look! Pfizer and Moderna are both raising prices on vaccines by 400%! Who could have predicted this!

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

the_steve posted:

I swear something similar happened a number of years ago, back when SJW was the pejorative of choice; Some company had done something that looked vaguely kinda progressive if you squinted, conservatives were screaming SJW about it, and the company kept coming out and saying "No, we're doing it because money."

drat, now it's gonna bug me because I know I'm not going to remember what the hell I'm trying to talk about.

Was it the Dr. Seuss stuff?

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Federal senator Lidia Thorpe halts Sydney's Mardi Gras parade with police protest (ABC).

Rowe:

Downes:

Badiucao:

Spooner:

Anthony Albanese marches in the Mardi Gras parade, first PM to do so. Also they're coming for your super (tax minimisation if you have multiple millions), oooooo.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I mean, yes, that is definitely the better option, and this decision was definitely fueled by money and not actual sensitivity, but the sort of changes you're describing like changing school reading curricula are notoriously difficult, and something conservatives will fight even harder (and with more success) than what's happening here. It would be great if we could get there and I think we should be trying for it as hard as possible but it's not a simple either/or choice we can just flip a switch on. Mostly because of the very same culture warriors who got really mad at the idea of taking the n-word out of Tom Sawyer.

To be fair, removing the N word from Mark Twain's work was a terrible idea. He was an abolitionist who was using the word to emphasize its shittiness. There's a deliberate contrast between, for instance, Jim's actual personality in Huck Finn, and the dehumanizing, degrading way the white characters refer to him. You lose a lot of the meaning of the work that way. At least with Dahl's stuff we can say that a lot of the changed language doesn't really change the point of the story.

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit/Parody

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

quote:

Blank Check, Blank Mind

An air raid siren was blaring when Biden met Zelensky in Keeeeev. The sound was set up to make it seem as if Biden was on a battlefield and acting all brave and heroic. Like Biden’s presidency, it was fake. A sham. I’m sure in the future Biden will lie and claim he was also under sniper fire—just like Hillary claimed when she landed in Bosnia.

Biden is no hero. He’s a cowardly sadistic fiend and traitor to our country. He didn’t have the guts to visit Ohio, which faces a horrific environmental disaster. Biden won’t help his own citizens, but he will make sure endless money is funneled toward Ukraine. He even wants the citizens there to get social security. It is not well known, but Biden has already imported over 100,000 Ukrainian ‘refugees’ to America where they are put up in fancy hotels all over the country. Biden loves open borders for America, but Ukraine’s borders are somehow sacred to him. He favors illegal immigrants and foreigners over Americans, whom he despises. American citizens must pick up the tab for his profligate spending by means of inflation.

If anything, more and more Americans will be infuriated by Biden’s traitorous behavior. Unfortunately, they will not have the power to remove him from office. A few Republicans might complain, but they will do nothing. The Uni-Party will continue to support Ukraine over America. It seems as if both Biden and Zelensky won’t be happy until they see a big bloom of radioactive mushroom clouds.

It’s sad and tragic how quickly Obama and Biden have destroyed America. Things will not improve until we see fair elections and right now they remain rigged. Biden might receive the lowest ratings in history and they could go lower, but even he has said that doesn’t matter. He will run again and win again, because America is no longer a Republic. It has instead become a disgusting, rigged clown show. Biden is the head clown, and he’s a very unfunny one.

quote:

Lemon Drops and RINOS

CNN’s well-paid talking head, Don Lemon, has been on a downward spiral lately. He lost his prime time slot and now he continues to put his left(ist) foot in his mouth. His latest gaffe was a whopper. He attacked the 51 year-old Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley, whom he pronounced to be ‘past her prime.’ These days, that’s definitely a sexist and misogynist comment and Lemon has been roundly rebuked for it. He’s been forced to attend sensitivity training sessions as punishment.

To me it proves that Lemon is not much of a speaker when it comes to on-air casual conversations. He’s at his best when he adheres to well-scripted talking points. Then he becomes a well-polished, silken liar. The problem was, CNN was losing its audience, so they made changes and shook Lemon out of his prime slot. Another screw up and Lemon might be out of a job completely.

It was actually good publicity for Nikki Haley, who took it all in graceful stride. Haley was the first female governor of South Carolina and later was appointed by Trump to be the 29th United States Ambassador to the United Nations. At first, Haley did not support Trump during his 2016 presidential run. She favored Rubio, then Cruz before voting for Trump. Now she’s running against Trump.

I don’t think she has much of a chance and she’ll might soon have plenty of competition as other Republicans hopefuls mull over their possible campaigns. A crowded field will be good for Trump, just as it was in 2016.

My impression is Haley is more of a uni-party candidate. If he was still alive, McCain would probably throw his support her way. Haley is just George Bush in heels.

She will attract support from the likes of Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell, and Mitt Romney as well as all the other ‘never Trumpers’ in the Republican Party—especially if DeSantis doesn’t run. She might be another candidate’s choice for Vice President, but not Trump’s. In fact, after the so-called January 6 ‘riot,’ Haley predicted Trump would never run for office again. Wrong.

She’s also wrong about the war in Ukraine. She thinks it’s a ‘war about freedom.’ NO! It’s a war to expand NATO and globalist interests which includes control of Russia. She’s wrong about identity politics and in fact, she could easily be a neo-liberal Democrat. In which case, Don Lemon looks even more silly for his attack on her. He did so only because she has an ‘R’ after her name. Too many in the corporate media are ready to hand out swastika arm bans, KKK hoods, and Confederate flags to Republican candidates. Their job is to smear and lie.

A good example: An MSNBC commentator, Wajahat Ali, smeared Haley as an “alpha Karen with brown skin” and the “perfect Manchurian candidate” for white supremacists and racists. I wonder if he knew both of her parents were from India? Also, her skin does not even look all that brown to me. Many of us on the right want to avoid talking about race altogether, but for the ‘woke’ Marxist Democrats, everything is about race, division, and identity politics.

It will be an interesting presidential race and I plan on drawing a lot of cartoons. Stay tooned!

quote:

ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE UKRAINE WAR

UPDATE:
I wanted to publish this cartoon on February 24, the one-year anniversary of the Ukraine War. Unfortunately we had some problems with our cold winter move from our previous rental many miles north of our new digs—and that has prevented me from being as productive as I had planned. We also had a terrifying encounter with black ice on a busy highway. How we failed to hit another car or a traffic post is a mystery to me. We ended up spinning down a Starbucks ‘exit only’ ramp and onto a snow-covered embankment. We drove away shaken, but unscathed. We must have had a guardian angel watching over us.

We’ve also had a great many of our supporters watching over us—and you helped us out considerably with our moving expenses (which were greater than expected) and I want to thank everyone for your kind contributions to our cause. As you know, we are independent and that means we can draw whatever cartoons we like, but it also means we are dependent on print and book sales as well as donations. Now it’s time to again get back to drawing some ‘MAGA’ cartoons with impact and influence!

And now back to the cartoon post:

As many of you must know by now, we at GrrrGraphics are adamantly against the war in Ukraine. It’s a war that was triggered by Ukraine, the globalists, the CIA, and NATO. Don’t forget that Ukraine is the most corrupt country in eastern Europe and their chalkboard scratchy-voiced leader, Zelensky, is part of that corruption. He threatened Americans on the the anniversary of a war he started. He said if we did not continue to funnel vast amounts of money his way, Russia would win and then invade the Baltic states. He said we’d then be forced to send our own sons and daughters to die there. In other words, Zelensky will say anything to drum up fear in order to rake in more cash—including threatening all-out nuclear war!

We must stop listening to the pipsqueak con man comedian/tyrant from Ukraine. We must also stop listening to the blatant war propaganda being spewed by corporate media, which are owned and controlled by satanic globalists. Stop listening to the warmongers from the Military Industrial Complex.

We need to spend money on our own country. We can start by finishing the border wall and hire more agents to protect it. We can spend the money on infrastructure and the environmental cleanup of Ohio. We can spend the money on our own veterans. J’ever notice all the commercials of crippled and disfigured veterans who served in Afghanistan and Iraq? They want citizens to send them money to fund houses designed to suit such disabled men. This is all well and good, but why doesn’t our military industrial complex fund such arrangements? Maybe the Pentagon who continues to lose trillions of dollars? Maybe the corporate media who brainwashed young men into going to useless wars (based on lies) in the first place? We all know those millionaire, bellicose talking heads banging on war drums will never go fight on the front lines themselves, but they are eager to persuade impressionable young men into going. Those men march into gristmills that exist only to put billions of dollars into the pockets of evil men.

It’s time to stop the foreign wars. America should not be an empire. We are not the world’s policeman. It’s time to be aware of the disgusting war propaganda being funneled into our brains by corporate media.

It’s time to instead listen to our Founding Fathers and avoid foreign entanglements.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Xander77 posted:

So... this isn't new, but are there like two posters posting daily comic roundups without ever bothering to check whether most of their comics were already posted on the very same page?

Maybe, but I'd rather they do that than no comics or fewer comics. I'm fine scrolling over the occasional repeat. It's never like every comic is seen twice and they both cover things the other doesn't.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Xander77 posted:

I'm trying to avoid it whenever I can. I think that basically everyone who does (pseudo-)daily comic dumps gets them from a different syndication page. I myself just grab all the new stuff from the Creators editorial cartoons page around noon my time. There's a few cartoonists that license their work to multiple syndicates (Gorrell and Luckovich come to mind), and I try to check the previous ~50 posts to see if I'm not doubling up on anything. I'm sorry if anything slips through.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Don Lemon story is rare one in that I haven't read it anywhere plus don't care enough to search out so I've been entertained piecing together what happened purely through the endless series of conservative cartoons.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Skios posted:

I'm trying to avoid it whenever I can. I think that basically everyone who does (pseudo-)daily comic dumps gets them from a different syndication page. I myself just grab all the new stuff from the Creators editorial cartoons page around noon my time. There's a few cartoonists that license their work to multiple syndicates (Gorrell and Luckovich come to mind), and I try to check the previous ~50 posts to see if I'm not doubling up on anything. I'm sorry if anything slips through.

I just have a google doc with links to the relevant pages that I check around once a day. I don't think I'm sharing with anyone at the moment; I removed a couple from my list that other people picked up a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Speaking of...

Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 27, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Garrison showing some impressive restraint on that Zelenskyy caricature

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I wanna know why the Biden-donkey is wearing human shoes.

...but not enough to read anything Garrison wrote.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hillary dropped them.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

gently caress off, Jeff.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

There is nothing cartoonists love more than getting to comment on other cartoonists, so I’m pretty sure we’re going to get all of the takes on this.

I’m honestly looking forward to seeing Garrison try to bridge the gap between his love for white supremacy and his hatred of Scott Adams

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guessing "Adams was a bad racist because he said it out loud, I'm all about love and peace" followed by a giant rant about how the Civil Rights Act is government interference and nobody would be racist if it were scrapped because

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

...but not enough to read anything Garrison wrote.

I think they're supposed to be clown shoes, the color matches his clown neck thingy (cravat?)

E: google tells me it's a ruffle or clown collar

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The more I look at the Biden-donkey, the more unsettled I am.

It's not a classic centaur, it's a creepy giant head on a donkey except the mouth is still sort of a muzzle for some reason.

just,

what

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

The Don Lemon story is rare one in that I haven't read it anywhere plus don't care enough to search out so I've been entertained piecing together what happened purely through the endless series of conservative cartoons.

They're crying and moaning about sexism because, I guess, Don Lemon saying Nikki Haley is past her prime (presumably meaning her political prime) and trying to get him #cancelled. But because they don't actually understand what sexism actually is nobody sane gives a drat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They're crying and moaning about sexism because, I guess, Don Lemon saying Nikki Haley is past her prime (presumably meaning her political prime) and trying to get him #cancelled. But because they don't actually understand what sexism actually is nobody sane gives a drat.

quote:

a woman is only “considered to be in their prime in 20s and 30s and maybe 40s
:thunk:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

This is exactly the picture I have now purely from conservative cartoons but it took a dozen or so to get there because of they way the early ones were dancing around the issue. I think it was at least five before Nikki Haley was even mentioned.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

This is exactly the picture I have now purely from conservative cartoons but it took a dozen or so to get there because of they way the early ones were dancing around the issue. I think it was at least five before Nikki Haley was even mentioned.

I mean I don't actually know what he said because I don't watch CNN so maybe he said something dumb but it doesn't make any of the right wing cartoons any less hypocritical because they'll be going right back to transphobia and racism in a few days.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I mean I don't actually know what he said because I don't watch CNN so maybe he said something dumb but it doesn't make any of the right wing cartoons any less hypocritical because they'll be going right back to transphobia and racism in a few days.

It's right there in Garrison's screed, Don Lemon is in trouble because apparently these days you can get in trouble about anything. They have no issue with the content of what he said, they're just chortling because one of those softie liberals finally got hoist by his own petard.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Svaha posted:

Was it the Dr. Seuss stuff?

That sounds right, but I honestly can't remember to save my life.

I've been online too long. It's a lemon, it's clearly a lemon, which means that's lemon juice.
But no, my brain keeps seeing Garrison asking a group of D&D players if they dare to enter his magical realm.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The piss tears are real

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

the side that never holds their side accountable for all but the most depraved of acts sure loves to take gloating victory laps over their opponents ever holding themselves to any kind of moral standards cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Don Lemon is a stupid rear end in a top hat who has said racist poo poo before so him saying sexist poo poo does not surprise me.

But yes, right wing media doesn't actually care that what he said was sexist, they're just upset it was directed at someone on their side.