Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
SD2's Army General campaigns are really good, and translating the Total War style 'move units around on the strategic map and then fight individual battles on the tactical map' gameplay loop to a lite operational-level wargame is a great idea

Graviteam Tactics did it pretty well too, but it's also much more complicated and takes much longer to play, an engagement in SD is a lot faster and more frenetic and plays more like a traditional RTS compared to GT's Combat Mission style simulationist slugfests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

StashAugustine posted:

lmao completely apart from the Nazi apologia how do you write those sentences with a straight face

the face isn't straight. it looks like this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

yeah regarding the last point.

lmfao

bobbing me on his knee when I was a child, the stories he told me were nothing like this game

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mister Bates posted:

SD2's Army General campaigns are really good, and translating the Total War style 'move units around on the strategic map and then fight individual battles on the tactical map' gameplay loop to a lite operational-level wargame is a great idea

Graviteam Tactics did it pretty well too, but it's also much more complicated and takes much longer to play, an engagement in SD is a lot faster and more frenetic and plays more like a traditional RTS compared to GT's Combat Mission style simulationist slugfests

oh they brought red dragon's campaign mode over?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh they brought red dragon's campaign mode over?

it's a bit more indepth than Red Dragon, but it's the same basic idea

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

encircling pyongyang in the second korean war owned, i wished REDFOR had a similarly epic campaign for it instead of climb mount narodyna

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

it's a bit more indepth than Red Dragon, but it's the same basic idea

And its going into WARNO as well

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

encircling pyongyang in the second korean war owned, i wished REDFOR had a similarly epic campaign for it instead of climb mount narodyna

My favorite was from the first Wargame, game where its after the nukes go off and you play an alliance of NATO and Warsaw Pact troops out to get revenge on the political ruling class the shot the world in the head

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

i say swears online posted:

lmfao

bobbing me on his knee when I was a child, the stories he told me were nothing like this game

a previous video had a czech dude going feral over WOKENESS.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gettin' the old sudetenband back together

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Army General is great, though with moments of clunkiness. It's been a great addition and I'm pumped for WARNO to have it (and 4 CMBG).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the winning strategy in any wwii online multiplayer game, either fps or strategy, is and always will be to write “Rommel was a war criminal” in global chat and destroy your opponent while he writes an essay on why he’s not

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe half the people i've gone up against in coh3 stick to 'gg' protocol, which has been in place for a quarter-century now. it's comforting

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tekopo posted:

the winning strategy in any wwii online multiplayer game, either fps or strategy, is and always will be to write “Rommel was a war criminal” in global chat and destroy your opponent while he writes an essay on why he’s not

good memories of going into the Berlin channel and doing this in the Relic chat in CoH1

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

KomradeX posted:

My favorite was from the first Wargame, game where its after the nukes go off and you play an alliance of NATO and Warsaw Pact troops out to get revenge on the political ruling class the shot the world in the head

i could never get that far, having to fight the soviets in m60 starships made me quit the campaign

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tankbuster posted:

yeah regarding the last point.

ahahahahahahahahaha

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

maybe half the people i've gone up against in coh3 stick to 'gg' protocol, which has been in place for a quarter-century now. it's comforting

g and h are right next to each other

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

playing against someone and wondering if they are a nazi or 35 years old

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i could never get that far, having to fight the soviets in m60 starships made me quit the campaign

Funny enough the Campaign set up of the other two never really grocked with me I had a hard time with the total war campagin frame

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Starships look so cool and my first match in ALB using them was me getting wrecked because I didn't know how much they sucked.

I may have also attempted M47 Dragon spam because what were the chances that it turns out the USA dropped the ball on infantry ATGMs before the Javelin lol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gettin' the old sudetenband back together

I don't think this person would be proud of his czechishness if he was a sudetenlander.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

you don't get called a gardening pudding?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Danann posted:

Starships look so cool and my first match in ALB using them was me getting wrecked because I didn't know how much they sucked.

I may have also attempted M47 Dragon spam because what were the chances that it turns out the USA dropped the ball on infantry ATGMs before the Javelin lol.

hey at least the dragon sounds funny (i forget if it plays its very specific noise in any of the wargames)

dragons and blowpipes ftw. goofass implementations of the weird earlier guided missile systems are always the funniest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSswhECZKUg (no idea what these kids are saying)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's funny because when I, an idiot, think of how would you do a guided missile with a wire I immediately think little fins that move to keep it on a course set by the operator. This is how other guided missiles already in existence at the time worked like sam's and a2a missiles. Clearly the soviets were sensible people because they did the same thing.

What kind of a deranged brain decides no, what we need is fifty tiny one shot boosters that go off like firecrackers to maybe sort of punt the thing onto the right track?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yv4U7BwyDk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L-9_EhxfFvY

It rules.

5:30 for the good stuff

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Slavvy posted:

It's funny because when I, an idiot, think of how would you do a guided missile with a wire I immediately think little fins that move to keep it on a course set by the operator. This is how other guided missiles already in existence at the time worked like sam's and a2a missiles. Clearly the soviets were sensible people because they did the same thing.

What kind of a deranged brain decides no, what we need is fifty tiny one shot boosters that go off like firecrackers to maybe sort of punt the thing onto the right track?

im guessing they had a kerbal-like scenario where they unlocked RCS way before flight surfaces and had to just make do

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
great video. second to none. did TOW missiles also have RCS-like rocket motors or were they always steered with control surfaces? it really did sound goofy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmgUZXeTy6I

somehow reminds me of

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

How is the new Kerbal Space Program?

Hoooooooooooo boy, is it ever broken. I think there could be a good kerbal game hidden down there somewhere, but it's at least presently unplayable

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m honestly pretty excited about this. https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1027-order-opportunity.aspx. although I worry about the bias that may be in the game. also the laughable idea that in 2000 (or honestly even in 2020) that Russia has anywhere near the global influence of the us, eu, or China. I’ve had an idea floating around in my head for a while if a scifi setting great powers war game that is more about influencing other planets and planting traps that about open warfare.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

g and h are right next to each other

lmfao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fr0id posted:

I’m honestly pretty excited about this. https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1027-order-opportunity.aspx. although I worry about the bias that may be in the game. also the laughable idea that in 2000 (or honestly even in 2020) that Russia has anywhere near the global influence of the us, eu, or China. I’ve had an idea floating around in my head for a while if a scifi setting great powers war game that is more about influencing other planets and planting traps that about open warfare.

For realism they better have a card that makes the EU player give up everything to the US player

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

Whenever I try these I get absolutely licked and end up quitting. I'm hoping WARNO's is a little easier to parse.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thinking of getting unity of command 2, just checking if it's actually good (I liked the first one even if it was a little too puzzle game) and which dlc is worth getting if you're only playing as the good guys

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

thinking of getting unity of command 2, just checking if it's actually good (I liked the first one even if it was a little too puzzle game) and which dlc is worth getting if you're only playing as the good guys

UoC2 is decidedly less of a puzzle game

you can try the base game first and play only as the Allies, and then pick up the two Soviet DLCs later which is a big step up in difficulty (I have not tried/played the Desert Rats campaign)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KSP is getting savaged. Why did they release as a half-cocked early access after KSP 1 was such a big hit and exists for people to compare side by side?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

Still very puzzle game, but considering the next step up would be like War in the West or a John Tiller game, I think is very refreshing and fun if you appreciate it for what it is.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

KSP is getting savaged. Why did they release as a half-cocked early access after KSP 1 was such a big hit and exists for people to compare side by side?

that's genuinely how ksp was before it became popular. it was a long time before it was playable. i think the vast majority of people who were tracking ksp2 stuff played many layers of polish into its development cycle.

but also they got rid of the ksp lead and it just looks like a ballooned project that spends lots of money on bullshit from their development videos.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I started KSP when the earth was flat and there were like 7 parts, on the recommendation of Games, I think, so I get what you mean. It took a long time to get to where it is.

I suppose I’m asking more why they didn’t wait until they had at least the content of the final build of KSP 1:1, everything except the interstellar stuff I guess. You can’t even do career mode now.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

I started KSP when the earth was flat and there were like 7 parts, on the recommendation of Games, I think, so I get what you mean. It took a long time to get to where it is.

I suppose I’m asking more why they didn’t wait until they had at least the content of the final build of KSP 1:1, everything except the interstellar stuff I guess. You can’t even do career mode now.

maybe needed the EA money, mismanagement, take-two interactive is a devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

that would have been before their first publicly downloadable version, so probably not then, as the first version available for download did allow for orbit.

but yeah, they had even advertised that ksp2 would release in early access as a modern, optimized feature-complete ksp1