Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

studio mujahideen posted:

the amount of people who have immediately conceded when I Make Disappear their 2-drop on the standard ranked ladder is wild. its so funny

for mono-r you just gotta save your counters for the poo poo that matters. their weak stuff will brick the second a terror hits the board, you need to be ready for their bolts

I don't concede to the first counter but when my opponent does actual nothing but counter my stuff 3 turns in a row I am definitely not having fun and I'm going to concede so they don't get to have fun either

Such a miserable deck to play against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Serf posted:

Sometimes you brick, but my combo deck definitely did lose to those mono-w humans decks. The beatdown can be very hard to overcome, even when the combo comes together. I'm not running the most current list because I don't have the Stitcher's Suppliers or enough Eldritch Evolutions, but the deck does feel mostly consistent. Mulligans are super important, you gotta have Greasefang in the opening hand and a way to cast it. If I go down to 6 now I'm hoping for a Grisly Salvage to hopefully hit a Greasefang. Also I run 3 Liliana of the Veil now and forever because I cannot count the number of times I have drawn multiple Parhelions and she lets me dump them.

My opponent did take the time to inform me that Greasefang is actually not a combo deck and is a midrange reanimator deck (and that Lotus Field is the only "true combo deck in Pioneer") but I'm not sure I agree. But also quibbling over poo poo like that is a waste of time.

I swear that a lot of mtg players just say everything they like is midrange/tempo like a weird short hand.

One of the guys I was playing yesterday at free modern was on some sort of sultai cascade thoughtseize pile with LotVs and stuff like that. I was playing 4C elemental tribal and the dude sat down and the first thing he said to me was "hope you're playing something normal," then audibly groaned when I played tangled florahedron (it's tutorable with flamekin harbringer, it's great!). Then I guess he thoughtseized me and took my one drop in a hand of 4 and 5 drops + endurance, next turn cast inquisition and I cast the endurance leaving him with nothing to inquisition and he just immediately conceded and started complaining about misplays and how he's so bad etc etc

Then G2 a bunch of discard that doesn't really matter happened, I played vesperlark and beat on his lotv for awhile. He eventually ticks her down after looking through my graveyard (vesperlark lets you get a creature with 1 or less power out from your graveyard to the battlefield), I brought back risen reef instead of the card he thought because I guess he didn't read it and draw a card, he abrupt decays the risen reef and then concedes and starts beating himself up and complaining more about all these decks that he's never seen before and he hates playing against stuff like that, and he's so bad

It was insanely weird :psyduck:, I hope the guy is doing better today because he was clearly going through it during the event! He also just would not stop talking about how he would've won G1 if he'd played correctly and it was incredibly awkward

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

fadam posted:

How do you find the Lotus matchup usually?
I’ve played lotus field a lot and don’t like greasefang match up. Greasefang is usually a turn or two faster but easier for most decks to interact with. Lotus field is not packing that interaction.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Greasefang is a Reanimator deck, Reanimator decks are combo decks, there's no such thing as "midrange" and hot dogs and calzone are both a sandwich, thank you for coming to my TED talk

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

hot dogs and calzone are both a sandwich

You are crazy, my friend. A calzone is not a sandwich.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Greasefang is a Reanimator deck, Reanimator decks are combo decks, there's no such thing as "midrange" and hot dogs and calzone are both a sandwich, thank you for coming to my TED talk

Agreed. Burn isn’t a combo deck either.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My monored combo deck is filled with one card combos, and creature cards with the haste combo that bring the opponents HP lower each turn.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Khanstant posted:

My monored combo deck is filled with one card combos, and creature cards with the haste combo that bring the opponents HP lower each turn.

Burn is a 7-card combo with a lot of interchangeable cards.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

old school jund is a classic modern combo deck that worked by comboing discarding cards out of your hand with having more money than you to buy cards that were good threats to top deck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Devor posted:

Burn is a 7-card combo with a lot of interchangeable cards.

Idk once creatures got involved in the plan burn became a lot more aggro imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When people say they like midrange what they really just mean is they like "fair" decks, as opposed to spikey mono color decks or combo decks. At least that's what I usually mean

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Burn is a Sligh deck. Although some spell-heavy Burn decks can be closer to Engine Combo decks, it's usually a type of aggro.

There's a twenty-year-old article, Finding the Tinker Deck, about Magic archetypes, but I don't think it's accurate anymore. He doesn't list a category for combo decks, except "The Enigma", which is for overpowered combos that are about to get banned. A+B (or A+B+C) combo and engine combo decks are two distinct archetypes.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Agreed. Burn isn’t a combo deck either.

I'm combo-ing 7 Lightning Bolts! That's a combo! Multiple cards, combined, to kill you

Now that I think about it, every deck is a combo deck actually

Edit: except Rat Colony

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 26, 2023

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Burn is a control deck where you control the board by killing stuff

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Control is an aggro deck in that you aggressively counter your opponents plays

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Burn is a sandwich.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Burn is a life-control deck.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

VictualSquid posted:

I remember there being a canon story where Ashiok went to visit Elesh Norn while cosplaying as her. That would be the most funny option.
Canon wise, I think Karn actually makes the most sense. Considering that she keeps trying to reenact all those sexy queen of borg scenes from star treck whenever they meet.
That was Ashiok creating a nightmare version of Elspeth that cosplayed Elesh Norn in an attempt to see if they could make a phyrexian afraid of something through their magic. They succeeded.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/garden-flesh-2022-05-03

quote:

Ashiok spread their broad hands outward as if to caress it all. "Beautiful, isn't it? I worked so very long on this particular masterpiece." Ashiok leaned forward slightly, their head cocked. "Your mind is a very . . . unique canvas, Elesh Norn. Very unique indeed."

"So this abomination, this filth, is indeed your doing?" Norn asked coolly.

"But of course." Ashiok smiled. "To be completely honest, I was not certain Phyrexians would be suitable for my art. One simply cannot create a masterpiece without a proper canvas."

"So you were testing us?" Norn said this with control, carefully calculated, even though her indignant fury had begun to boil. She refused to entertain the thought that the kernel of her lingering uncertainty might be perpetuating her doubt.

"Who else would have been a better test subject? You are the Mother of Machines, after all, are you not? Your mind . . ." Ashiok's voice trailed away, contemplative and vaguely perplexed. "It does not process fear the way human minds do."

"We are a Regent of Phyrexia," Norn said. "We are perfection personified. We do not fear." Until today, she would have never questioned that statement; it would not have been a lie to say she never doubted herself. But Norn refused to let that uncertainty surface completely. She forced authority into her voice, every ounce of deception and manipulation she had honed to defeat her rivals. She was not made entirely of organic material.

She was not weak.

She was not flesh.

She was not human.

Ashiok's smile only broadened. They glided in a broad circle around Norn, toes skimming the earth but not quite touching. "Oh, if that were true, I wouldn't still be here, would I?"

Ashiok rose into the air slowly, and the smoke curling from the tips of their horns began to flow downward, coiling around the human limbs and organs sprouting from the courtyard's flagstones. Norn's gaze followed the path of their ephemeral touch. There in the jumble of broken stone was a human head, growing through a broad crack like a fungus. It was a female with dark hair and light skin. White armor grew up around her chin and jaw like fronds. Her features were covered in the mire but, beneath the filth, something about her countenance seemed strangely familiar to Norn.

"I first encountered her when I was creating my art in Theros," Ashiok said, each word somehow menacing in its softness as their smoke caressed the human head's cheeks and brow. "Her name is Elspeth Tirel." Ashiok rolled the name through their mouth as if tasting it for the first time. "She caught my attention, and I sought her out in the Underworld. Her fear of Phyrexians was glorious. Simply breathtaking. How could my curiosity not have been piqued? What kind of artist would I be if I did not seek out such an opportunity to hone my craft, to test it on a being such as yourself? I simply had to find out. What would a Phyrexian nightmare be like?"

"You have blasphemed against us!" Norn's voice reverberated through the courtyard. She drew back her arm, preparing to obliterate Ashiok's wraith-like body, when the thing that would be Elspeth Tirel rose.

It heaved itself upright at Norn's feet, sloshing up and out of the earth with a thick, wet sound, rising from the nightmarish mire until it hovered facing her, spinal cord dangling like a rodent's tail. Ashiok's smoke wound around it rapidly, swelling and curving, shaping the very air into a tall, solid form corded with sinuous muscle and covered with pearly porcelain metal and a curving helmet. It was a mirror of Elesh Norn's sacred form.

Norn took a step back. Elspeth did the same. It was a twisted reflection of her own body, her posture that seemed suddenly, horribly, undeniably human. And there it was again, that tightness in Norn's throat, prickling the back of her neck, dropping deep into the center of her like a stone. She felt the urge to back away. To run. This was an abomination, not only of the Orthodoxy but of her. Mother of Machines, Regent. This was a twisted version of the Orthodoxy's future.

Elesh Norn did not want to call it fear, but as she watched Elspeth's hand rise to her mouth, as she watched those fingers so much like her own tremble, she knew that, yes, logically, that was how she too must have looked in that moment.

Impure.

Imperfect.

Impossible.

How could this planeswalker make her feel this way with their trickery, nightmares, and illusions? With a simple vision of a human woman sculpted to look like her, to mock her? She, Elesh Norn, who so masterfully bent her enemies to her will? She, who was the apex of Phyrexia?

With a deafening crackle and a blast of bright light, the needle-thin daggers prickling from Norn's body merged and formed a massive, deadly blade in her hand. With more power than would ever be necessary, she flung it into the nightmare version of Elspeth Tirel, slicing through her chest with such force that she flew across the courtyard, landing in a heap on the far side. A form clothed in her own white metal and crimson robes, still covered in human flesh, dead.

No, not dead.

Because it never was alive to begin with. It was all an illusion, a trick.

Norn turned to Ashiok, her internal workings pounding with this new and unfamiliar emotion, rage seasoning the fear she'd felt into something almost uncontainable. She prepared to unleash it all upon the planeswalker, but they were already high above the Basilica, darting backward with uncustomary speed until they were out of range, looking every bit as unsettled as Norn.

"You are quite the canvas, indeed, Mother of Machines." Ashiok spread their arms wide and bowed their head. "Another masterpiece."

Norn watched as Ashiok disappeared, gliding through the night sky. The veil of Ashiok's nightmare world lifted with their departure. The Phyrexians she had willed into existence dissipated. The broken flagstones resolved themselves once more into immaculate smoothness. The thick blood and unnatural plants quivered, hardened, and then crumbled to dust, easily scattered by the fresh breeze.

The body of Elspeth, still clad in Norn's armor, was the last to fade, clinging to corporeality until the regent took a step toward her. Elspeth's armor quaked and then crumbled away, fine as white sand, leaving her severed human head. The skin cracked. Lines thin as wisps of smoke formed around her mouth, spreading outward, dissolving her nightmare flesh from the inside out.

But just before the vision of Elspeth disintegrated, she opened her eyes and met Norn's gaze. She looked at Norn with such human pity, with such horrid sympathy, that Norn couldn't breathe.

When the nightmare had well and truly faded from the world, Elesh Norn walked carefully over the courtyard of the Basilica and touched the stones, clean now, pure and holy, where the thing that had been Elspeth Tirel had been birthed. She could not erase Elspeth from her mind. She could not unsee the pity there. She could not bear the thought of something so human unsettling her so completely.

And Elesh Norn knew then, with the same amount of conviction with which she worshiped the Machine Orthodoxy, that in order to purge this new emotion she was feeling, this fear and uncertainty, she would need to find the human, Elspeth Tirel, and rid the Multiverse of her.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Burn is a sandwich.

turn your toaster settings down

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

quote:

She refused to entertain the thought that the kernel of her lingering uncertainty might be perpetuating her doubt.

This is quite a sentence

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
A calzone is a quesadilla

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Well this just showed up on Reddit. Wonder if it's real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mtg/comments/11cwvzq/lotr_foil_sheet_found_in_garbage/

If so, The Ring mechanic sounds kinda interesting.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This is quite a sentence

Stuff like that is why I will never fully comprehend MTG lore, I just can’t get through it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

PolishPandaBear posted:

looks stupid lol

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
lol at people getting mad that aragorn is black

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

General Morden posted:

I'm super mad, the card's GW! make him as green as grass!!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I would have thought Aragorn to be Red/White, also wtf that's a LOT of MH2 to just get dumped off.

Wonder if the guy that found em took all the boxes with those packs in them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

General Morden posted:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Huh? The card is GW and he's not the only one on ioh I get it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

PolishPandaBear posted:

Spend 6 mana to get a 2/3 creature that needs to do combat damage to target player 5 times to win seems superjunk.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Issaries posted:

Spend 6 mana to get a 2/3 creature that needs to do combat damage to target player 5 times to win seems superjunk.

My assumption is there will be other cards with "tempted by the ring"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So like is everyone making a run on their local dump to find Magic cards. Is that the next great untapped gemstone caverns of opportunity and easy riches. There's gold in those trash mounds, poo poo even spoilers apparently.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Issaries posted:

They could build tempted by the ring like corrupted/poison: multiple ways to apply it and other abilities that key off it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

precision posted:

I don't concede to the first counter but when my opponent does actual nothing but counter my stuff 3 turns in a row I am definitely not having fun and I'm going to concede so they don't get to have fun either

Such a miserable deck to play against

i get it. i had a guy play Fight Rigging three turns in a row, and after I countered all three he just conceded

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

So like is everyone making a run on their local dump to find Magic cards. Is that the next great untapped gemstone caverns of opportunity and easy riches. There's gold in those trash mounds, poo poo even spoilers apparently.

After seeing the landfill pictures, I was wondering what kind of measures WotC and their distribution centers took to dispose of cards to keep them from getting taken by people willing to loot through dumpsters. I guess other people had the same thought process and were close enough to and willing to get their hands dirty!

Also these are clearly not regular set cards going by the collector numbers and power level. Can't imagine we won't get a solo Aragorn card.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

General Morden posted:

JFC, I know. Was there this much uproar about black hobbits in Rings of Power?

Issaries posted:

And yeah, as already mentioned, I was thinking there would be other cards that tempt you. And the leveling isn't much different than Ascendant Sprit or Migloz.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

PolishPandaBear posted:

JFC, I know. Was there this much uproar about black hobbits in Rings of Power?

There absolutely was, if not more. Pretty sure Rings of Power had a way bigger audience than factory dumpster LotR spoilers. I encourage more nerd stuff to do this just so we can continue to weed out the shitheads.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

whydirt posted:

A calzone is a quesadilla

The main point of a calzone it is that it is
1) fully closed (no "two slices")
2) made with pizza dough
3) stuffed with pizza base toppings.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

This is quite a sentence
I thought of getting back into the story because I used to hoover up all the books they used to print back when I first played, but these new story snippets are written so godawfully on a very sentence level that I just don't want to anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

PolishPandaBear posted:

I love how it's a law of nature that every potential leak has to be some weird blurry UFO picture