Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Mu Zeta posted:

Ellie's swearing is really irritating to me but I appreciate that other characters in the show feel the same way like the District Attorney lady and the Graham Greene character.

This was in response to something else, but I'm gonna just quote myself wholesale from the spoiler thread:

Nameless Pete posted:

Their first E3, I remember everybody buzzing about a bit in the demo where the main character is brawling with an enemy and then the ally NPC yells "Hey fuckface!" and hucks a brick at him.

That was the first moment everyone fell in love with Ellie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I've had some problems with Ellie and can find her pretty annoying. But I also find her annoying in the exact same way I did my little sister at that age, so even the worst parts of the performance* are a pretty good success in many ways.

*"worst" here meaning "least enjoyable for me in specific to watch"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ellie really reminds me of kids that age who feel they have permission to swear. Sometimes she uses swearwords wrong because she's not quite used to how they're normally said. They nailed the characterization

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Chamale posted:

Ellie really reminds me of kids that age who feel they have permission to swear. Sometimes she uses swearwords wrong because she's not quite used to how they're normally said. They nailed the characterization

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've had some problems with Ellie and can find her pretty annoying. But I also find her annoying in the exact same way I did my little sister at that age, so even the worst parts of the performance* are a pretty good success in many ways.

Yeah, all of this. Most 14-year-olds didn't grow up rough and parentless in a postapocalyptic world and still manage to abuse the hell out of expletives once they figure out it's A Thing They Can Do. It's awkward and maybe a bit grating but it's spot-on.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

roomtone posted:

children of men has many plot elements in common with last of us re: a gruff man leads a saviour woman on a journey to a anti-government faction who wants to save the world. actually it's very similar, the woman who tasks clive owen with the job even dies early on, she plays a similar role to tess.

CoM’s lead also is emotionally shut off because his child died near the beginning of the pandemic. That movie and the game also share some action beats, not all of them made it into the show but the long sequence shot inside the car did. The game’s directors have specifically said CoM was an initial inspiration.

TLOU isn’t the most unique story out there but novelty isn’t the only measure of a story. It’s an enjoyable take on a narrative framework whose main strength is in its character work and a strong final act.

Personally, aside from that final act, the first game’s story never impacted me as much as it did other players, so I kind of get where the critics itt are coming from. I’m enjoying each episode a lot but there’s a degree to which I view all of this as necessary prologue for later seasons. TLOU was the creators first time directing a game and he improved dramatically as a storyteller by the time he did the second game. So people expecting something less derivative might be happier going forward.

Except that one guy who thinks everything with zombies is the same genre. He is never going to get what he wants.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

TLOU isn’t the most unique story out there but novelty isn’t the only measure of a story.

This needs to be reposted in bolded flashing letters after every episode.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Except that one guy who thinks everything with zombies is the same genre. He is never going to get what he wants.

it's not controversial to say that zombie apocalypse is a genre except when engaging with a "but mah bideo james show" people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_apocalypse

(hint: the example list includes TLOU, TWD, Zombieland, and everything else you would expect)

originality and novelty are not the only criteria for evaluating entertainment media but they are significant ones for a prestige drama, and this show is not doing well here aside from ep3.

think the second game is great? maybe it is, but i don't know why that matters to criticisms of season 1.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Moltke posted:

it's not controversial to say that zombie apocalypse is a genre except when engaging with a "but mah bideo james show" people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_apocalypse

(hint: the example list includes TLOU, TWD, Zombieland, and everything else you would expect)

originality and novelty are not the only criteria for evaluating entertainment media but they are significant ones for a prestige drama, and this show is not doing well here aside from ep3.

think the second game is great? maybe it is, but i don't know why that matters to criticisms of season 1.

O cool, you decided who I am* and then cited a loving wikipedia list. However can I face this well-reasoned argumentation.

Well may I interest you in a list that literally does the exact same thing I did as a joke to show you how dumb that is? I can't believe that I didn't even have to change my example.

Do you not know what a setting is? Is that what this is?

*What the hell does "mah bideo james show" mean in this context? I think I played like 2/3rds of the first game when it came out and have barely thought about it since.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There's also a list of horror films set in academia, a a list of films about/by Mormons and a list of films that almost cast Bill Murray but didn't.

Boy am I glad that we decided to make wikipedia the final arbiter of art. It's really good to know it's in such safe hands.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

O cool, you decided who I am* and then cited a loving wikipedia list. However can I face this well-reasoned argumentation.

Well may I interest you in a list that literally does the exact same thing I did as a joke to show you how dumb that is? I can't believe that I didn't even have to change my example.

Do you not know what a setting is? Is that what this is?

*What the hell does "mah bideo james show" mean in this context? I think I played like 2/3rds of the first game when it came out and have barely thought about it since.

the list i shared demonstrates that zombie apocalypse is a genre, lots of people think so, yet this is something that you and the other guy are denying for some reason. i don't even get it, why is this a problem for you?

your list does not demonstrate that the 1920s is a genre uniting downton abbey and boardwalk empire because this is a very, very stupid thing to say or believe

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

There's also a list of horror films set in academia, a a list of films about/by Mormons and a list of films that almost cast Bill Murray but didn't.

Boy am I glad that we decided to make wikipedia the final arbiter of art. It's really good to know it's in such safe hands.

again, you are confusing lists of settings with a list of genres, which are not synonymous, and this is very very stupid

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moltke posted:

again, you are confusing lists of settings with a list of genres, which are not synonymous, and this is very very stupid

you're right, they're not synonymous, which is why it's weird that you're confusing them anyway

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Moltke posted:

the list i shared demonstrates that zombie apocalypse is a genre, lots of people think so, yet this is something that you and the other guy are denying for some reason. i don't even get it, why is this a problem for you?

your list does not demonstrate that the 1920s is a genre uniting downton abbey and boardwalk empire because this is a very, very stupid thing to say or believe

Wait. So if we have the exact same source how does it totally prove your point while disproving mine.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait. So if we have the exact same source how does it totally prove your point while disproving mine.

ok, you can keep running on this crazy train to deny reality. zombie apocalypse is a genre. let me know if you come up with a grand way to unify downton abbey and boardwalk empire in the next thread about either of those shows.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Moltke posted:

imo most zombie fiction typically falls into the genre of apocalypse fiction, since ultimately the actual cause of the downfall of society is less important than the downfall itself and the survivors who have to pick up the pieces. This show certainly counts.

Regardless though, arguing that two works being in the same genre makes them directly comparable is pretty laughable. You may as well say that Galaxy Quest and Alien are directly comparable because they both fall into the Science Fiction genre.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Arist posted:

you're right, they're not synonymous, which is why it's weird that you're confusing them anyway

Zombie apocalypse is a genre of fiction in which society collapses due to overwhelming swarms of zombies. Typically only a few individuals or small bands of survivors are left living. In some versions, the reason the dead rise and attack humans is unknown, in others, a parasite or infection is the cause, framing events much like a plague. Some stories have every corpse rise, regardless of the cause of death, whereas others require exposure to the infection.

i guess if i'm confused and this really is just a setting, then a lot of other people must be too. weird

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you want a hint as to the critical error you made, it's that The Last of Us is not a story about zombies. Like half the episodes so far have had zero or close to zero of them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Moltke posted:

ok, you can keep running on this crazy train to deny reality. zombie apocalypse is a genre. let me know if you come up with a grand way to unify downton abbey and boardwalk empire in the next thread about either of those shows.

You do know the point of that example is that it's silly, right? I'm actually using that to show that your argument is bad. I'm taking the exact same line of argument and applying it the same way, and you think the results are silly.

Like this is super basic "if X, then Y, go check if Y is true" kind of stuff. Not exactly hard.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
ok, because the 3 criteria listed in that article for the "genre trappings of the setting" for genre "zombie apocalypse" are all met by TLOU. i guess i'm just a stupid moron who doesn't have a brain big enough to mash boardwalk empire and downton abbey together.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bugblatter posted:

TLOU isn’t the most unique story out there but novelty isn’t the only measure of a story. It’s an enjoyable take on a narrative framework whose main strength is in its character work and a strong final act.

Naughty Dog's two big series for the past fifteen years (Uncharted and TLOU) have stories that I think freely admit they are ripoffs of something else (Indiana Jones and Children of Men) and both kinda had the "good story... for a game" caveat. They relied on their characters to keep people interested (or a good gameplay loop, something you can't replicate here).

And if you don't nail that good characterization (see: the Uncharted movie being hot dogshit) it falls apart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, I'm like half sure this is just a really low-effort troll because citing Wikipedia genre descriptions in a forum argument is just remarkably lazy. Like, you haven't even meaningfully defined "genre," which makes sense because you keep misapplying that word.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Arist posted:

Anyway, I'm like half sure this is just a really low-effort troll because citing Wikipedia genre descriptions in a forum argument is just remarkably lazy. Like, you haven't even meaningfully defined "genre," which makes sense because you keep misapplying that word.

And apparently the concept of a negative hypothetical is just whoosh.

My 5 year old nephew has that down pat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arist posted:

If you want a hint as to the critical error you made, it's that The Last of Us is not a story about zombies. Like half the episodes so far have had zero or close to zero of them.

Checks out.

1: Outbreak. Zs in the streets.

2: Creeping through Boston. Lots of Zs.

3: Bill & Ted story. Precisely two Zs.

4: On the road and attacked in KC. Zero Zs.

5: KC climax. Lots of Zs.

6: Jackson & surrounds. Zero Zs.

Tonight is the tiebreaker.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Man though I really can't get over the idea that Zombieland is directly comparable to TLOU just because it contains zombies. Like, dude, did you see Zombieland? It's a comedy film where the zombies exist as a vehicle for jokes and as something for the protagonists to shoot at. Here is a typical scene from the first film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tdZ_k0eaHo

The only thing that links this film and TLOU is that they contain zombies. They are technically comparable in the same way that I can compare, say, Schnindler's List to Hogan's Heroes, or The Abyss to Sealab 2021, but these works are very clearly trying to do different things even if they share similar settings or genres.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Woody Harrelson’s character got way funnier since that film was in theaters.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

joel also murdered bill murray but it was for different reasons

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Arist posted:

what you're describing is a genesis fallacy, and is not an argument against the reality that zombie apocalypse is a genre, whether you like it or not

i will not spoonfeed you anymore - perform a basic google search on your premise, instead of bad-faith argumentation, and see how many other "sources" state that zombie apocalypse is a genre

you not liking wikipedia doesn't change reality

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
”Bethany’s in the infirmary with 15 stitches.”
“Good!”

gently caress yeah, 10 seconds was enough Bethany to know she deserves it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sentinel Red posted:

”Bethany’s in the infirmary with 15 stitches.”
“Good!”

gently caress yeah, 10 seconds was enough Bethany to know she deserves it.

The officer wasn't exactly having high hopes for her either.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Arist posted:

The Last of Us is not a story about zombies

what do you even think this could possibly mean? like they don't have a zombie protagonist? what exactly are you trying to get out of denying that zombie media exist and TLOU is just another example of it? what does this change for you, besides acknowledging that the show is largely unoriginal?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

every zombie story is not about zombies, it's not a real genre

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moltke posted:

what do you even think this could possibly mean? like they don't have a zombie protagonist? what exactly are you trying to get out of denying that zombie media exist and TLOU is just another example of it? what does this change for you, besides acknowledging that the show is largely unoriginal?

I was never arguing any of the stuff you seem desperate to put in my mouth, I was just pointing out that your argument sucked

But uh, I'm sorry, you seem very cool and normal for caring so much about this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watching episode 5 of this zombie show rn and they are really trying to make me think these are crayon drawings on the wall? looks like paint to me nevermind they have paint up there all is well I was about to flip out.

edit: don't go in the sewer level, it's always a bad level y'all.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 27, 2023

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Arist posted:

I was never arguing any of the stuff you seem desperate to put in my mouth, I was just pointing out that your argument sucked

But uh, I'm sorry, you seem very cool and normal for caring so much about this

you and the other brain genius spent the last page responding to my posts about this, posting bad faith fallacies and calling them arguments, and the goalpost is now that i care too much. right.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wow this is a bad idea. Ellie noooo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What song is this on the merry go round?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Carousel playing The Cure!!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A career in sanitation isn't so bad, kid

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CobiWann posted:

What song is this on the merry go round?

It’s Just Like Heaven by the Cure. An 80s song like everything else in the ep except the Pearl Jam at the beginning.

80s danger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

You do know the point of that example is that it's silly, right? I'm actually using that to show that your argument is bad. I'm taking the exact same line of argument and applying it the same way, and you think the results are silly.

Like this is super basic "if X, then Y, go check if Y is true" kind of stuff. Not exactly hard.

this is why you're not good at this - i am telling you that the sky is blue, and you are complaining about the way i'm saying it. this is the definition of bad faith. go to dnd if you want to be a stupid pedant.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 27, 2023