Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
PostNouveau that's the "Serious Flanders" episode, I think it's one of those Treehouse of Horror-style "not a real Simpsons episode" things and it makes no sense if you don't understand the references

it's dumb and even really gross sometimes but there are some good moments - the standoff scene has a really funny gag where everyone's tense and pointing their guns at each other and a bunch of escalating loud noises like balloons go off, including one person shooting another, and no one flinches. I think thats the best joke I've seen out of the Simpsons since like s11

of the 15 or so episodes I've seen that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good news we got a Carl episode tomorrow I'm sure it won't suck

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1629496448759787520

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They recast him so he's one of the few voices that doesn't sound like it was recorded from a hospice patient.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/dustybuurd/status/1628575062923309056?s=46&t=I0c-uOKSXg42_YJucCFeqA

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I only recognize the Elvis and Tar ones. Also they literally did an Avatar parody in a Halloween episode and didn’t use a scene form that?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Heh. Facebook just reminded me that ten years ago today, I became Neighbors in The Simpsons(tm) Tapped Out with my old buddy Jason. I wonder if he ever got enough donuts to buy the Duff Brewery?

And I still say Das Bus is the inflection point between Good Simpsons and Bad Simpsons.

I say that Marge Be Not Proud is the inflection point and someday the consensus will come around to my fringe viewpoint

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
It's Bart The Mother. I remember that being the first time I was incensed from watching an episode of the show. My brother still brings up how upset I was after that one aired.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I say that Marge Be Not Proud is the inflection point and someday the consensus will come around to my fringe viewpoint

I feel like people only say this because the original "Zombie Simpsons" blog post, I believe it was, AKA the post that coined the phrase "Zombie Simpsons", declared Marge Be Not Proud to be a key "breaking point" episode. See also: The Principal and the Pauper isn't really that bad but alt.tv.simpsons said it was in 1997 and that somehow stuck as the Correct Opinion. The reality is that Principal and the Pauper is an experimental episode that just happened to fall right before Mike Scully took over as showrunner and made the show meaner, edgier, more cartoony, etc. You might not like the experiment, but at its core it's a decent enough and funny episode that at least still feels like classic Simpsons.

In my opinion the argument about Marge Be Not Proud doesn't hold up at all. None of the common lovely elements that make up what would become a standard new, bad, Simpsons episode are present in Marge Be Not Proud. The only thing that separates it from episodes of its era is that it's a little more wholesome and less subversive than your typical episode. But even then, just barely. The argument is that it's like a "very special episode" 90's sitcoms always did. But the thing is, it isn't. It still subverts that. The "lesson" isn't about Bart stealing and his punishment - they don't punish him. The conflict in the episode is Marge questioning if she should give up on her son and Bart realizing that and dealing with it emotionally. It uses a "very special episode" trope and digs deeper than any of those shlocky sitcoms ever did.

And, my god, if the worst The Simpsons ever got was this, I'd still be watching weekly.

I don't think there's a single episode to point to, as the downfall happened pretty quickly through seasons 9 and 10, but you'd still get good episodes in between them for a little while.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Season 9 was really more hit and miss with me, while Season 10 was the first where things just felt noticeably worse episode to episode without any real upswing at any point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Homer's Enemy was the turning point for me

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I didn't remember Marge Be Not Proud as part of the original zombie Simpsons thing, blecch. I actually dislike it not because of the wholesomeness or the emotional core, I think it's got some nastiness to it that foreshadows how mean and stupid the series becomes shortly thereafter. I believe there's a direct link between Marge Be Not Proud and Homer getting hosed by that panda.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
genuinely asking: what nastiness is there in that episode?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nastiness is the wrong word I'm looking for and I'm going to try to think of a better one. Vacuity? I don't want to say hollowness because there is emotionality at its core. I can't say warmth because it's got a sweet ending. Sort of the way the HD intro to the show looks as opposed to the way the original intro looks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Simpsons didn't become fully bad until the turn from 4:3 into HD wide-screen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nastiness is the wrong word I'm looking for and I'm going to try to think of a better one. Vacuity? I don't want to say hollowness because there is emotionality at its core. I can't say warmth because it's got a sweet ending. Sort of the way the HD intro to the show looks as opposed to the way the original intro looks.

Maybe because that's the moment when Marge decided Bart might be done with childhood, so that's when the show lost its innocence too.

idk

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

FrumpleOrz posted:

It's Bart The Mother. I remember that being the first time I was incensed from watching an episode of the show. My brother still brings up how upset I was after that one aired.

whoa yeah I remember watched that as it aired and very distinctly remember thinking "wow, I can't believe it but this show sucks now". I was 12 years old and had that same crestfallen feeling

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Lisa the Vegetarian :colbert:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

That happened in season 20. The show had already been bad for 10 years.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lisa the Skeptic was a warning of things to come. Homer is full jerkass, the entire town instantly assembles around the angel so we can hear from Sideshow Mel, and they later become a mob at the drop of a hat as mobs are always funny and need to be in every episode.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

You Are A Elf posted:

Any episode that gave us this can't be that bad.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FrumpleOrz posted:

I still think about this every single time I get offered hot dogs.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

This has my vote. It was the first time I really disliked one of the main characters. Also the start of Lisa's, "I'm a genius and am therefore entitled to be a condescending rear end in a top hat."

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lisa the Skeptic was a warning of things to come. Homer is full jerkass, the entire town instantly assembles around the angel so we can hear from Sideshow Mel, and they later become a mob at the drop of a hat as mobs are always funny and need to be in every episode.

I thought you meant Lisa the Iconoclast at first and we were going to have to have words. But yeah, that one doesn't work perfectly, and it's an illegitimate child of Lisa the Iconoclast and Bart's Comet. It has some funny Skinner stuff, which is my barometer on good and bad Simpsons. Once the townspeople chiming in started to become tedious and boring instead of a delight as it is in 2-8, that's when the show outlived its purpose.

And I think the problem with Marge Be Not Proud for me was along the same lines as that guy who didn't like the nastiness. It's just a whole lot of lying and anxiety over lying for half the episode, and Bart just getting in trouble over and over again. The better, earlier episodes where a character is in crisis aren't like that. They give a little room to breathe for the ""drama"" and some other characters eventually get to help. It's not just one character's interior struggle until the ending. Also it's too sappy and there aren't enough jokes.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

a lot of S7 and S8 episodes foreshadow exactly what would make the show suck but they still have so many good jokes that they work anyway. look at Homerpalooza - random guest stars, main characters expressing major interests in things they never mentioned before, a real jerky plot that makes no real sense, yet its a total classic still

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've mentioned before Whacking Day is a really weird rewatch because it's kinda incoherent and borderline dreamlike, the supposed core plot is basically resolved mostly offscreen with a brief excuse, but it's great anyway for a lot of reasons.

It's really not just about the premise or formula, or even structure, but how they use it. Zombie Simpsons is just bad because it's lazy, sloppy and clearly putting in the bare minimum effort because they know they'll make bank no matter what.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1630019222959972352?s=46&t=JIZ6gRLigRUIgi65MuVnmw

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lisa the Vegetarian was the first time she crossed the line and became unlikeable, but the resolution was fine and I like that they kept her a vegetarian. And the episode was full of great jokes including one of my favourite Mr Burns lines,
"Will you be donating that million dollars now, sir?"
"No, I'd still prefer not."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i like it well enough, but Marge Be Not Proud is one of those episodes where something about it bugs me, but i can't exactly place my finger on it.

You Are A Elf posted:

i don't think this episode was an inflection point, but similar to the above episode, something about it really bugged me but i'm not sure exactly what. you might say it's how lisa was portrayed as being more overly pushy, and preachy with her beliefs....but she acts the same way in Lisa the Iconoclast and Lisa the Skeptic, and those two are some of my favorites, so... :shrug:

FreudianSlippers posted:

technically, there were some painfully untolerable seasons leading up to it, but yes, the transition to HD was the point of no return

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 27, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lisa the Vegetarian is mostly a fine episode with a lot of great gags, but it ends on the most aggressively cringey celebrity cameo until the Elon Musk episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lisa the Vegetarian is one of those things where you can see the start of the bad habits that the later seasons got into, where she goes from a intellectual, conscientious girl struggling with misogyny, anti-intellectualism and and apathy and close-mindedness of older generations, to jumping on any soapbox she can find variously as a parody of self-righteous morality warriors or a mouthpiece for the writers. Neither going over very well especially in the 00s.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tenebrais posted:

Lisa the Vegetarian is mostly a fine episode with a lot of great gags, but it ends on the most aggressively cringey celebrity cameo until the Elon Musk episode.

The lentil soup recipe is good though

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

elon definitely sucks but even before him there was that tony hawk episode

Toxic Mental posted:

The lentil soup recipe is good though

the animal ranch sign "from ages 2-7 1/2" was one of the best jokes in the series

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lisa the Vegetarian is one of those things where you can see the start of the bad habits that the later seasons got into, where she goes from a intellectual, conscientious girl struggling with misogyny, anti-intellectualism and and apathy and close-mindedness of older generations, to jumping on any soapbox she can find variously as a parody of self-righteous morality warriors or a mouthpiece for the writers. Neither going over very well especially in the 00s.

It's 100% this. It definitely wasn't entirely a bad episode, but it's the earliest I can trace the DNA of everything I would come to hate about modern Simpsons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also something to be said how they had Lisa become a Buddhist and then never did any further research, even cursory, about what that might entail or even to explore basic ideas that might make material for the show. Just the most stereotypical puddle-deep interest of older white Americans in Asian culture, where even the most stereotypical weeb might actually take an interest and look things up.

Mr Interweb posted:

the animal ranch sign "from ages 2-7 1/2" was one of the best jokes in the series

There was something so very real about that episode. Though kinda funny how they go from the terribly lame fairytale animatronics to an actually pretty nice petting zoo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tenebrais posted:

It's almost redeemed by the "would you like to hear a song" joke but yeah.

Almost all the sins of zombie Simpsons are present at some point in the golden years because they're okay if you're being really loving funny at the same time.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Phil Hartman does not coincide with any Simpsons downturn, I'm sorry.

Maybe the realty episode. Which I still love.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

Phil Hartman does not coincide with any Simpsons downturn, I'm sorry.

Maybe the realty episode. Which I still love.

Last episode with Lionel Hutz and first with Gil. Passing of the baton from good to bad Simpsons.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also something to be said how they had Lisa become a Buddhist and then never did any further research, even cursory, about what that might entail or even to explore basic ideas that might make material for the show. Just the most stereotypical puddle-deep interest of older white Americans in Asian culture, where even the most stereotypical weeb might actually take an interest and look things up.

I was also annoyed by this episode when I rewatched it more recently, for the reasons you described, but the general idea of Lisa becoming a Buddhist was remarkably consistent with breadcrumbs they dropped earlier in the series, e.g. the short scene of her meditating in the Bobo the bear episode, her sharing zen koans with Bart in the mini putt episode. The premise worked for me, and probably could have been well done had it been a golden age episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FrumpleOrz posted:

All of those "thoughts" were great, I tend to think about the pork chops a lot myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I thought Lisa the Vegetarian was okay because the moral at the end was that she shouldn't take these overt ethical stances just to shove them down everyone's throat. Although I guess it's only okay with the implication that she learned from the experience and won't be doing that in the future.