Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Goon Veterans Committee Hall of Fame Results :siren:

The results are in! Assuming I tallied these correctly (feel free to double check for me), the results are as follows:

Total number of submitted ballots: 19

Ichiro Suzuki 100%
Joe Mauer 78.9%
Barry Bonds 73.6%
Buster Posey 68.4%
Dave Stieb 52.6%
Mark Buerhle 52.6%
Roger Clemens 52.6%
Bobby Abreu 47.3%
Andruw Jones 47.3%
Johan Santana 42%
Carlos Delgado 26.3%
Andy Pettitte 21%

Congratulations to Ichiro Suzuki and Joe Mauer! Thanks to the goons, they will end up in the hall - Ichiro almost certainly will in real life, but at least we can correct this OOTP universe snub. I hope Mauer will too, but that's a bit less certain.

But always the drama - the best hitter any of us will probably ever witness, and arguably the best to play the game, Barry Bonds misses out by a single goon vote. I rechecked the results just to be safe, and resisted the immense temptation to throw my own vote in and bring him across the line. Sorry Barry - in OOTP and the real world, your steroids and toxic personality have doomed you.

A bit sad to see Buster lose out as a Giants fan, as he was the first "big" player I got to watch the entire career of from beginning to end with full baseball knowledge and awareness, but the goons have spoken.

(I'm still also surprised no one even bothered to nominate Pete, even just for fun)

Let's get Ichiro and Joe in there!

Now you have to see cursed silver fox bearded Ichiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can't even be fake upset about Bonds, hell yeah Joe

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Posey was better than Mauer

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Next time we do this I'll throw in a nomination for Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa since their home run race may have saved baseball.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
LOL, Bonds and Clemens still can't get in. Goons are basically as bad as the BBWAA.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

LOL, Bonds and Clemens still can't get in. Goons are basically as bad as the BBWAA.

Yeah lol after all Goons' decrying of the writers this is pretty close to the tallies I'd expect the modern BBWAA to make.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2032 MLB Season

With the hall of fame expanded to include the universally loved Ichiro and catcher stud Joe Mauer (but NOT Barry Bonds or any of his steroid-tainted friends), it's time for us to get back to our goons.

2031 was a pretty great year for goons - while we were light on the awards, most of our goons did quite well, and we had another generation of newbies in Cooper, Clips, and Crime to show us that it sometimes just takes time to develop. Rich Mahogany came out of nowhere to be a viable starter, Charlie Brown got a new lease on life with the Angels, and Reggie Blank returned to show us what a super stud he is.

And lets not forget that Bantoni Kemping, another superstar stud who is STILL growing in power, secured a World Series championship ring for himself.

Last season's early drama centered around Dugless, who was let go by the Cubs instead of face arbitration. Well, the Padres have done the same thing, and we all wait to see where he will bring his immense two-way talents:

In addition to Dugless, Glasscock, Goku, and Sisters are homeless at the start of the season. Goku probably has the best chance of finding a new home - he's still decently rated despite his constant mediocrity. Sisters and Glasscock may get minor league lifelines at best.

Goku finds a new place to play quickly, signing a minor league contract with the Rays, to make 1.5 million if he gets promoted.

I am still completely baffled by how teams are treating Dugless. Is he some massive clubhouse cancer? Is the AI evaluating him based purely on his pitching? The dude is an 80/80 rated two-way stud, why the gently caress is he demanding anything less than 15-20 million at this point.

I really hope that after this year, when he's no longer arbitration eligible, he makes a proper goddamn contract.

Mr. Panda starts spring training teamless - despite the fact that he actually has pretty decent ratings. Mr. Panda is rated 55/55 and hasn't pitched once in the majors, despite fellow goons in the 20's and 30's ratings at least making brief appearances. I don't get this game sometimes.

At the start of Spring Training EVERY goon is on the MLB roster except Patrick O'Doyle who is chilling down in AAA. Dugless, Glasscock, Panda, and Sisters are still without teams.

Carl Tubbs has a new home, joining Charlie Brown on the Angels. Normally I'd lament joining the Angels, but both the expansion teams have been absolute dumpster fires since they were formed. Maybe we'll take a look at team finances after Spring to see what's up with that.

Mr. Panda is signed relatively quickly to a major league deal with the Dodgers. This seems to be a majors deal and NOT a minors one - suggesting that Mr. Panda will FINALLY make his major league debut at 31 years old with the Dodgers.

It's been a journey, that's for sure. Panda was drafted thrice - twice with the Twins (failed to sign) and once with the Padres. He was released by the Padres, signed with the Reds, released then signed with the Rockies, then White Sox, then Rockies AGAIN, and now the Dodgers.

Dude just wants to chew bamboo, monch some chili dogs, and play baseball.

I'm privvy to the private negotiations of the Giants due to my pretend-giants GM status, and it's a CONSTANT flurry of talks with Dugless repeatedly telling the Giants he loves them. This happened last year and he signed with the Padres.

Spring ends, but before we look at our rosters, I wanted to check the pre-season predictions:

Lol, Tigers. I'm ready for another season of mediocrity!

The vast majority of goons make the opening day rosters for their respective teams - five players are still stuck in AAA, O'Doyle, Dowd, Storg, Chestnut, and Panda (lol). I will note that this is Panda's first time in AAA, so there's progress! He's also getting paid whether he gets promoted or not.

You might have noticed TWO goons made appearances on opening day - Rich Mahogany was NOT in fact the starter however, and is furious about it:

He's back in as the A's closer, after being their starting ace last year. :shrug:

Vegeta however starts his... fifth? Straight opening day, how'd he do:

Not his finest start, but so it goes. How's he doing against Goku anyway?

Oof. 1 for 15. I think it's clear who is the TRUE PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS, RIGHT KAKAROT?

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-5367eddc5a9782f22474cba63060d8ce-lq

While Vegeta struggled on opening day, Kalan did not - and in fact became the first goon to hit for the cycle! Maybe a small asterisk since it was against the god awful Nationals, but it's a cycle nonetheless. A fantastic start for our goons!

Speaking of poo poo teams, let's have a look at the financials and see if we can't figure out why the expansion teams have sucked so much:

The Mets still have an outrageous payroll, and Mexico City is at the bottom as expected. How the Nationals and Expos are paying their teams $100 million to win 60 games a year is beyond me, but it's happening.

The saddest part is that the Mexico City team actually has a pretty sizable budget, as do the Expos, they just... aren't spending. The budgets in this game are weird and sometimes spendthrift or cheapskate owners will affect it:

Both teams more or less broke even, so I guess they're doing the best they can.

At least they didn't lose $64 million like the D-backs :downs:.

If the goons wanted to, we could institute some new revenue sharing/financial scheme for the league, as OOTP has a lot of tools to do so. Maybe that can be our next vote.

It looks like Blank had a hitting streak from last season carry into this one, as he ends up with a 25 game hitting streak (it would be broken by the White Sox the next day).

Dugless FINALLY finds a home! And wouldn't you know it, it's the wealthy Mets who immediately send him out to patrol Center Field. This is probably good news for Dugless - the Mets are a competitive team that despite their RL reputation, have actually been pretty good in the goon universe (gooniverse?). He'll join Bob "Rooster" Glass in their quest for a ring.

I think Dugless ended up missing about 4 games this season waiting for his contract. I'm still disappointed that he's getting a mere $10 million given his value - we'll see if the Mets are smart enough to sign him to a bigger contract.

Borsgaard slaps.

Not one of ours, but I thought it was funny.

But this, this is NOT funny. Potato Manjack, who was on track to return to the MLB having pitched 10.2 innings a few years prior, has his season brutally ended by the most dreaded pitcher injury - tearing his UCL. He will presumably need Tommy John Surgery to fix this, and will hopefully be back next season. This could be a career ender though, as UCL injuries are notoriously brutal to recover from.

Jessie Crime doesn't make the news, but her hips get strained so badly she misses 2 weeks.

Kalan saw Blank have a renaissance season last year, and this year he let his envy power him to attempt the same.

Also, I didn't realize it, but Kalan led the entire MLB in slugging percentage last year with .555. All those beautiful triples!

Seriously, look at those numbers! Underappreciated.

Our quiet boy Saito also escapes the news somehow, but not my watchful eye - he joins the broken ligament club with a nasty ankle injury, sidelining him for over a month.

I see Mr. Panda is now all the way down in AA but - what's this!?

:siren: The madlad did it! Mr. Panda FINALLY ends up in the MLB, pitching exactly 2 perfect innings. Why he's since been demoted to AA I have no idea, but you know what, I'll take it to see our boy at least be able to say he was a major leaguer.

It takes until June for some reason, but Glasscock finds a team in the Phillies on a minor league contract, and is playing in AA. Sisters is still teamless, the only non-retired goon to be so.

Mets being Mets, with Dugless injured for a bit. It turned out to be minor thankfully. If it were the real Mets, he'd probably be encouraged to go out there and worsen it.

Cooper is doing his best to try and keep the Rockies afloat - they've improved some thanks to his brilliant play, but they remain a franchise plagued by poor pitching and being forced to play with the juggernaut Padres, Dodgers, and Giants.

Kemping is still riding high off his championship in 2031, and continues to have elite play. His brother, Antoni, has a new job managing the Rome Braves in A+, putting the brothers yet further away. A truly sad tale - they've grown increasingly distant, to the point where no one has even seen them together in... years? Maybe ever?

It's All-Star time! Which goons made the cut?

Six goons! Tying last year's record!

Vegeta notably gets his fifth All-Star nod in a row, having been selected every year since 2028. Snorp is back for his third, having been in 27 and 28. Bantoni is also getting his third, alongside rival Replica. Glass celebrates his second, having last been selected in 2028, with Dugless also only being selected for the second time. Probably doesn't help his popularity that he keeps switching teams!

Before the game itself, we have the HR Derby (called the HR "challenge" in OOTP). We have two goons competing - Bob Glass and Bantoni Kemping, who came in second place last year.

But alas, no one has yet mimicked Snorp's success, and they fall to Joey "Pico de Gallo" Gallo.

The All-Star game itself is a bit boring (and inconsequential now), but we do have some notable goon performances! Dugless hits a solo dinger and can add that to his growing resume, and Replica matches him and some with a two-run home run. Vegeta is left with the blown save, giving up the tying run in the seventh. Snorp also hits a double, apparently.

Oh hey! I missed it, but Rex Sisters stays alive by signing a minor league deal with the Yankees! We love to see it!

2032 All-Star Break Batting Stats

A pretty good year overall for goons, with some surprises!

The first NOT surprising thing is that Kalan is once again Mr. Consistency. Dude is ALWAYS up top in PA and has only had THREE INJURIES his entire career:

He's missed a total 9 days, 5 of them to allergies or colds. He's NEVER been on the DL. This year it looks like the Phillies are once again god awful so it's hurting his RBI numbers, but his average XBH numbers show he has a rare combination of speed and contact hitting that place him as one of the toughest goons. I really hope he gets a ring eventually.

The two goons competing for career years are Snorp and Glass, both of whom are absolutely crushing it with 23 and 25 home runs respectively. The Mets are on fire with nearly as hot Dugless joining Glass, and Glass leads the goons with an impressive 80 RBI's. Don't sleep on Snorp though, whose Rangers are also surging.

Bantoni once again shows his power credentials by leading all goons with 27 home runs, smoking his competition Replica. The Tigers are struggling massively overall - and we see it in our goons as well, as Blank and McCracken are both having down years, with Replica doing well but not spectacularly. McCracken's year is truly dreadful, and he actually has a negative WAR to go with .186 AVG. Ick.

Crime and Cooper took some steps back in the newbie CCC club, with Clips of all players maintaining the most consistency among them. Along with Goku, Stalin, Bitchface, and Tubbs, there's a growing "mediocre goon" caucus that may be among those first to decline when age drags them down.

Also note that poor Adam Malysz, who has been playing alongside the greats in seeming total obscurity in Houston, is also having a down year. His mediocrity is becoming pretty bad - he's put up a negative WAR this season. That's bad timing - he's a free agent after this season. I hope he still gets paid.

2023 All-Star Break Pitching Stats

Pitching-wise the goons are not looking great this season.

Vegeta looks fine as always, and his 3.30 ERA is pretty good. His strikeout rate though shocked me a bit - he's already got almost 150 K's at the half, with a brillian 11.2 K/9. We love to see it, because as pitchers age they often lose their velocity. Whatever Vegeta is doing, batters are still missing his great stuff. That low walk rate too is also brilliant.

Plusse on the other hand, is having a pretty bad year. His 4.5 ERA isn't dreadful but his FIP suggests it might get worse - and you'll notice most distressingly that he hasn't started a game this season...

I'm a little confused by this though. He has by far the most innings pitched of the Tigers, and he's in the rotation, but every single game he plays someone else starts the first inning for him. Like it's not a bullpen game - they're sending out one guy to pitch 1 inning then leaving Plusse in for 7. Is this some new strategy I haven't been paying attention to? Either way, Plusse has negative WAR. Ick.

Rich Mahogany by contrast is back in as a starter, and doing well so far! He started as a closer but is now the second starter in Oakland. Make up your mind A's!

Charlie Brown is ALSO starting games, but seemingly erratically. Right now he's listed as the Angels setup guy, but they seem to be changing their rotation around quite a bit. They're at .500 so maybe there's hope Charlie can go with them to the playoffs.

The Dugless experiment does not seem to be going as well in New York as in San Diego. Admittedly, it's only over 6 innings, so maybe the Mets have just decided to give up on the whole pitcher thing. He had just done so well though!

Shoutouts to O'Doyle and Panda, who both finally break into the majors this year. Both are pretty summarily demoted again but, it counts! And if the Dodgers win a ring, you'll get one Mr. Panda! The Nationals won't though. The Nationals have 60 losses - the Dodgers have 61 wins.

Here's a quick peek at the standings for those curious. The Tigers are looking like they'll miss the playoffs by way more than 1 or 2 games this year.

Repeatedly taunted by Bantoni, Replica refuses to let a finally healthy season get her down.

Here I am singing your praises Kalan, and you do this to me?

Bantoni cannot be contained! 36 dingers and counting at the start of August - he will almost certainly top his 38 from last year!

Patrick O'Doyle, King of the Minors and never* getting promoted.

*Well, once.

I miss you, Tubbs.

Get it Replica! You'll show Bantoni-

:negative:

Meanwhile, it's early September and Bantoni already has 51 dingers. Can he hit 60 before year's end?

Kalan redeems himself for his brawl by maintaining his .300+ BA for the year.

Bantoni stays hot but the dingers don't flow quite as freely - he finishes the season with 55 dingers. Still by far a goon record.

But alas - he actually ends the season NOT as the league leader. 27 year old cypto-Juan Soto is ahead of him at 59. Bob Glass leads the NL with 46.

Bitchface appears just before the end of the season to remind us that he exists. He played decently on Seattle, I guess, which is a pretty dumpster fire team, so I have no idea why he was demoted.

The playoffs conclude more or less as expected - our goon stacked Tigers were absolutely dreadful, with by far their worst finish since the goons came to save them:

Despite this, we have ample goon ring opportunities elsewhere:

CHW - Vegeta (this is their fourth time in a row, and Vegeta's 5th playoff appearance)
TBR - Jose Alface
TEX - Borsgaard, Dincht (not on MLB roster BUT did play during the season)
TOR - Kemping
LAD - Mr. Panda
NYM - Glass, Dugless

I just noticed that my boy Stalin was claimed off waivers by Miami - so the Giants no longer have any goons :(.

6/12 teams have goons - were all equal, a 50% chance. Let's see how we do! Will Vegeta finally get his long desired ring? Or will Bantoni or Snorp lap all the other goons and earn their second?

Oof. Immediately three goons are cast out.

Alface can at least retire having made it to the playoffs, but that's about all I can say about that.

Snorp does his damnedest to keep Texas in the game and get his second ring - but despite outshining all his teammates and hitting a dinger, Baltimore crushes Texas 9-2 and 6-4. Alas.

Hello? Dugless and Glass? You know you still need to play in the playoffs, right? Dugless at least hit a dinger, but Glass is absolutely dreadful. It's closer, but the Mets are downed 10-4 and 4-3 (winning one game 3-2) by the Padres.

That's a lot of goons out of it already. Guess it's up to Vegeta or Kemping - every NL goon is now out of it (though Panda can still get a ring with LA).

That's much better. All the goons stay alive!

Vegeta gets knocked around by Cleveland in his one start, giving up 5 runs as the White Sox get demolished 10-0. They'd come back to win three games in a row.

Unlike Glass or Dugless, like his buddy Snorp, Kemping understands how playoffs work. Two dingers in one series for a sweep? Yes please.

Of course now one goon will need to be eliminated - but at least one goon will make it to the WS.

And it looks like it'll be Vegeta against the ghost of Mr. Panda's 2 inning-earned ring.

And this time Vegeta EARNED it. He pitches game 5 with a brilliant 7 scoreless innings, 4 Hits, No walks, and 6 K's. He also plays well in game 1 with 5.1 innings and 1 ER, 8 K's. A masterful performance by Vegeta.

Bantoni wasn't exactly caught sleeping, but he already has a ring, ya know? Wouldn't be sportsmanlike to rub it in. One dinger and 4 RBI's is sufficient.

Who will get a ring now - the much deserved and maligned Vegeta? Or the barely appearing Mr. Panda?

He finally loving did it. Only took 5 tries, but Prince Vegeta pitches beautifully for his first championship ring.

Game 1:

Game 5:

Maybe not as clean as the LCS, but a victory nonetheless. Congrats Vegeta - you've been one of our consistently great goons, and I'm glad to see you get what you deserve.

I was kinda secretly hoping Panda would pitch 2 innings in the entirety of his career and get a championship ring, though.

Also, I found a treat in Goku's page to make Vegeta smile:

:smith:

With that the season ends - and we see which goons win the various awards:

Not a single goon wins a Golden Glove. Sad!

Bantoni is FINALLY moved to DH, and given a Silver Slugger to recognize that he hits like a loving maniac. When you actually let him out there to hit.

Bob Glass also wins one for SS in the NL! Dat 6 WAR though!

Rigged once again, as Vegeta ends up 3rd in Cy Young voting. Always so close!

Bantoni also ends up 3rd in AL MVP voting, with Replica sneaking in a bit behind him at 6th.

Bob Glass is SO CLOSE with second place in the NL MVP voting. Dugless makes an appearance at a distant 13th.

Silly goons. Let's see how our free agency is looking before we finish the season:

First, our unemployed goons. We're getting to the point where most goons are becoming free of their six years of team control, meaning they'll become free agents automatically if they don't come to an agreement with their teams. Many players will elect to become free agents because they can make FAR more money on the open market than they could during arbitration.

Dugless, is the biggest name here, but I strongly suspect Plusse will command a decent contract as well. It's hard to say how teams will view the others - some may attract big contracts, others may continue to linger on minor league deals.

The rest of the goons manage to secure extensions to their contracts or continue their existing contracts. Let's see how they look financially:

Looks like I totally missed it in February, but Snorp signs a big contract extension with the Rangers. Given Snorp's potential, I think this is a pretty good deal.

This however... is not. McCracken's been declining for some time, but he had a bounceback year in 2031, prompting a 3 year extension. He proceeded to put up negative WAR and end up briefly demoted to AAA. 10 million dollars a year for that, good work Tigers!

Reggie remains our highest paid goon, with Glass crushing everyone in total contract value. Next year Kalan will become a free agent, which might free him from his Phillies prison and see him make considerable money.

We'll see if anyone signs before the HoF vote, and finish the year. Given Dugless' recent patterns, we'll probably have to wait until April.

My boy big Joe Stalin is traded from Miami to Seattle. Seattle is very bad, and he goes to the gulag with the other goons stranded there.

As 2032 becomes 2033, a few goons find new homes:

Bitchface joins the Brewers, and is promised 850k if he gets promoted.

What on earth? Plusse signs a stupidly undervalued contract with the White Sox, and is dumped a month later on waivers - and claimed on Christmas Day by Arizona. No idea what's going on there. Plusse deserves more than a million, though it looks like Arizona is converting him to a reliever. I think he's still starter worthy.

Everyone else remains a free agent or in their previous contracts, as far as I can tell.

The BBWAA finishes its vote, and CC Sabathia joins the others in the Hall of Fame. Looks like Scherzer isn't far behind, but Verlander appears to be lagging a bit. No one particularly noteworthy joins the ballot this year.

However that does make me look up our current studs, and I encourage goons to ask me to look anyone up of their choice:

A certain Michael Trout of the Angels retired last year without me noticing. Poor Trout was forced to play for the Angels his entire career, though OOTP didn't understand that it's the Angels and let them appear in six consecutive playoffs from 22-27. There's no way even the OOTP BBWAA doesn't get him in on the first ballot.

Bryce Harper also retired last year, and had phenomenal gooniverse 2025 and 2026, but fell of far harder than Trout did towards the end.

But what of our goons, in 2032?

2032 Batting Stats

Some eye popping numbers IMMEDIATELY jump out! Starting with the good:

Bantoni!!!! This is what happens when you let the man start every goddamn game (more or less). The move to DH was absolutely the correct call - Bantoni's WAR nearly doubled as he had more time to shine and didn't have to drag his skill down with his awful defense. 55 dingers is absolutely a goon record and 146 RBI's led the majors - may also be a goon record? Would have to check. I love that despite his power and high average, he still only had 2 triples and 27 doubles over the season.

Look at this slow, beautiful boy.

But also look what Glass can do when healthy for once! Dude smoked all other goons in WAR, but lest you think it was all defense, he had 46 dingers and .889 OPS to back it up. The Mets were terrifying with Glass AND Dugless!

Speaking of, Dugless also put up 6 WAR, meaning the two put up 12.3 WAR between them on the Mets. Much of that had to be defense because the offense was great but not nearly as spectacular. 65 walks though is pretty drat impressive and led our goons!

Don't sleep on Snorp or Kalan though - Snorp managed the most PA's of all goons this season, and led in triples and nearly doubles as well.

Poor Replica shouldn't be ignored though - despite her injuries she also had a phenomenal season, and truly outperformed Bantoni when considering her great defensive prowess. 41 dingers shows that women can RAKE when given the chance, and she was about the only bright spot on a Tigers team that really, really sucked.

On the mediocre side, I have to point to Reggie Blank - it looks like he sustained a bunch of injuries this year, missing basically all of July and August to a strained oblique and sprained ankle. A shame, but might explain both the Tigers' woes as well as his own struggles down the stretch.

Adam Malysz had a truly dreadful year but managed a perfectly even WAR. That defense must be godly.

As noted, Tim McCracken sucked bigly and got demoted, but at $10 million a year, I bet they give him another go.

Cooper recovered bigly while Clips fell back down to earth. Cooper in a "bad" year still hits .288, but I'm sad we got one of our least power-heavy guys in Colorado of all places.

Do I also spy Jeffthew McDichel making another MLB appearance? He may actually be the most AAAA player we have. Look at these stats:

Dude has appeared only for Colorado over seven seasons - never lasting more than 50 games or so. He's not even bad! they just won't give him a fair shake.

All said and done, I am a slave to the dinger. Bantoni Kemping wins my Goon Batting Award for 2032. All hail the dinger!

2032 Pitching Stats

Another year, another Prince Vegeta domination. What more can be said? His ERA is up a teensy bit but so is his K rate, and his walks are down. Dude's a stud plain and simple, and has a ring to rub it in. He's worth all 26 million a year.

Plusse... I want to be excited because a 4 ERA isn't bad, but I fear the future where you are paid only 1 million a year as a reliever. I still don't understand how he started literally no games and got 151 IP. It's like the game is trolling you. I will note that his opposing batters' average was actually better than Vegeta's!

Rich Mahogany is... a closer again? Is this what's going to happen every year? Start as a closer then get converted a few months in to become a starter? He played well at the role of starter, and I hope he gets it back. He was our best pitcher after Vegeta.

Charlie Brown seems to be suffering the same fate as Mahogany - bouncing between reliever and starter. At least they aren't trolling him like Vegeta. He signed a 1 year extension for 1.4 million with the Angels, so let's hope it pans out. He also doesn't seem to care that he's a reliever to start the next season:

I should have noticed sooner that Panda technically had 14 innings with the Dodgers, not 2. But either way, he did alright, and I hope he's back as a reliever next year.

Patrick O'Doyle ever suffers as a minors guy, but at least he can say now he's a major leaguer! Unfortunately it's for the nationals. Good news: he will probably get to stay there. Bad news: they won't ever go to the playoffs.

Nothing new on the Dugless front. Wonder if whatever team gets him has him pitch or not.

No contest here, Vegeta is the clear winner of my 2032 Goon Pitching Award!

2032 Fielding Stats

Once again I claim ignorance on fielding stats - but some standout performers are Adam Malysz with phenomenal range and efficiency, Replica and Dugless with insane Zone Ratings and Range at CF, and out of nowhere, Jose Alface with some brilliant catching. Oh and Bob Glass terrifying hitters by wracking up the double plays at SS.

Bringing their F game were Tim "butterfingers" McCracken and Megnogard Cooper, slipping up and giving up unnecessary errors at third and first respectively.

This one's tough - we have three EXCELLENT fielders in Center field - Replica, Dugless, and Malysz. I think Dugless barely wins my 2032 Goon Fielding Award by a nose, edging out the other two.

Will 2033 be as eventful for our goons as 2032? Will Dugless FINALLY get a big contract and stop bouncing around from team to team? Will we get any new retirements? Will Kalan get an extension or become a free agent? Find out next time!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 25, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh, Bitchface, mediocre to the bitter end.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
crime, no... you did so well last season. please stop regressing

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Douglas, you beautiful mountain of a man. You deserve a ring.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

What on earth? Plusse signs a stupidly undervalued contract with the White Sox, and is dumped a month later on waivers - and claimed on Christmas Day by Arizona. No idea what's going on there. Plusse deserves more than a million, though it looks like Arizona is converting him to a reliever. I think he's still starter worthy.
Well, at least he hasn't completely crashed yet, right? I mean, he's not his team's star pitcher anymore (like he was for the past, what, five years?), but he's still got competitive pitching ratings. Feels weird for him to not be a Tiger anymore, though.

...and we still haven't heard about him getting suspended yet. How disappointing. Why won't you live down to your personality ratings already?! You're supposed to be a highly-controversial moron, not a paragon of fair play!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

:raise: What the gently caress? Skelebro got busted down to Rookies!

On the other hand...

He finally played a single game in the majors before it happened. :unsmith:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

It's stupid how excited I get about seeing my mediocre fake guy doing well in the video game. Let's go Alface! Next time to the world series.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I really hope McCracken can get his 10 years despite sucking rear end.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
O'Doyle has not only gone nuts (for him) but now he's playing where I live (assuming he's backing AAA). Truly a wild ride for ol' Tungsten Arm.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 25, 2023

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Too bad the Dodgers waived Charlie Brown. I would have liked to see a World Series matchup between him and Vegeta!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Let's peep some career stats for those interested.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh, Bitchface, mediocre to the bitter end.

Bitchface has been doing the AAAA dance for a while now, but actually had an okayish season with Seattle. His ratings have settled into a fairly bad spot but his contact's still solid enough!

Nea posted:

crime, no... you did so well last season. please stop regressing

Jessie still has some crazy contact potential - she just may end up with the one home run ever. I think she can be a .300+ average hitter and think she's underrated, I would give her more time. If anything, she will "regress" back to the mean of being better next year.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Douglas, you beautiful mountain of a man. You deserve a ring.

Imagine looking at those stats and saying "naw, I don't think we'll do arbitration."

CptWedgie posted:

Well, at least he hasn't completely crashed yet, right? I mean, he's not his team's star pitcher anymore (like he was for the past, what, five years?), but he's still got competitive pitching ratings. Feels weird for him to not be a Tiger anymore, though.

...and we still haven't heard about him getting suspended yet. How disappointing. Why won't you live down to your personality ratings already?! You're supposed to be a highly-controversial moron, not a paragon of fair play!

I think Plusse is still decent enough to be a starter tbh. His movement is concerningly low so dingers may be a problem but... that seems like it's worse as a reliever in high leverage situations. I still can't get over the fact that he pitched 150+ innings and was in 48 games and didn't start a single one. I hope Arizona quickly converts him back to a starter once the season gets underway.

And yes he has somehow not been suspended or been in a fight once!

DoubleNegative posted:

:raise: What the gently caress? Skelebro got busted down to Rookies!

On the other hand...

He finally played a single game in the majors before it happened. :unsmith:

I love the culmination of his efforts being exactly one MLB appearance.

A simple and beautiful spray chart:

Average Lettuce posted:

It's stupid how excited I get about seeing my mediocre fake guy doing well in the video game. Let's go Alface! Next time to the world series.

Alface has been so perfectly mediocre that I rarely have much to say about him. He actually had a pretty decent year with the Rays and is sitting on a LOT of power - he got 18 HR's over about half a season worth of playing time, implying he could be a 30+ HR guy if he ever got to start every day. Though he kinda did in 2031 and it didn't go well... He's firmly the Ray's every day catcher now though, I think.

Gerblederp posted:

I really hope McCracken can get his 10 years despite sucking rear end.

Lol that Tim got his career year, contract, and then decided to just be lovely. He's definitely better than this though, but it's a loving travesty that he was paid the same as Dugless while putting up negative WAR, while Dugless is homeless and Tim is comfortably in Detroit for 2 more years.

Lumpy posted:

O'Doyle has not only gone nuts (for him) but now he's playing where I live (assuming he's backing AAA). Truly a wild ride for ol' Tungsten Arm.

I think O'Doyle has a solid future - his ratings are actually pretty good, he just has terrible control so he walks a lot of guys. He's another pitcher who absolutely COULD start and we may see the nationals move him around like Mahogany, Plusse, and co. We'll see if he can help the nationals creep up to a .500 team.

Armitage posted:

Too bad the Dodgers waived Charlie Brown. I would have liked to see a World Series matchup between him and Vegeta!

Charlie still has pretty good ratings! His stuff is mediocre but he's consistent and has two great and one okay pitch. We'll see what the angels do with him.

Also I was looking at the lifetime goon stats in the majors so far, with some interesting surprises:

Kalan is not surprisingly the leader in plate appearances, but who would have thought that Adam Malysz would be the goon who has started the most games? He hasn't even APPEARED in as many as Kalan! And Mr. Saito is goon HR leader, though Bantoni will almost certainly shatter that soon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That speed and base running seems pretty high, how many career steals does he have? Is that SB in the statline for 97?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I don't know if I'm being wooshed here, but the thing where a "reliever" starts the game and pitches one inning, then a "starter" comes in and pitches 5+ innings in relief is called an "Opener". I think the Rays started the trend but it's somewhat common now, the Giants have done it it a few times.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't know if I'm being wooshed here, but the thing where a "reliever" starts the game and pitches one inning, then a "starter" comes in and pitches 5+ innings in relief is called an "Opener". I think the Rays started the trend but it's somewhat common now, the Giants have done it it a few times.

Yeah I guess so, I underestimated the AI in this game for doing it. Are there guys in the MLB now who ONLY pitch with openers though? That's what confused me, because other pitchers on the rotation were starting as normal :shrug:.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Some teams (namely, the Rays) employ openers, where a relief pitcher pitches the first inning(s). The theoretical reason is that batters get more comfortable the further into the game so it might be better to put a bullpen guy against the top of the order in the opening frame rather than the seventh. The actual reason is probably to deflate pitchers worth in arbitration by taking away their starts.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

got some chores tonight posted:

Some teams (namely, the Rays) employ openers, where a relief pitcher pitches the first inning(s). The theoretical reason is that batters get more comfortable the further into the game so it might be better to put a bullpen guy against the top of the order in the opening frame rather than the seventh. The actual reason is probably to deflate pitchers worth in arbitration by taking away their starts.

Tigers targetting Plusse even though he's not even arb eligible shaking my drat head.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That speed and base running seems pretty high, how many career steals does he have? Is that SB in the statline for 97?

The 97 steals is indeed his career steals - and caught stealing 42 times. Probably not a great ratio but still fun to see!

I've seen different things about what percentage of steals makes it worth the risk - more conservative estimates say 75% but I've also heard a 2:1 ratio as well. As it stands, looks like Kalan, Blank, Crime, Borsgaard, and Goku are caught seldom enough to make it worth it (of those with 50+ steals). Tubbs, Dugless, Malysz, and Replica are caught too often. Dugless is somewhere on the margins.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Poor Reggie. Goddamn.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also decided to check on the Tigers, who are losing 13 players to the offseason (so far), with a combined WAR of 12, mostly to free agency.

The 2033 lineup will not feature any of the following from 2032:

The Starting C, 1B, 2B, SS, or RF - literally only the goons are the same on offense.

3 of the 5 starting pitchers, and at least 2 relievers.

Completely different team in 2033 - better? ...probably not. They have added two backup catchers from waiver so far. Rebuilding time, baby!

Dat team leaderboard! Not sure why Reggie isn't there for average.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 26, 2023

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Ooof, looks like a very probably end of the rode for Manjack, who's crowning glory was signing a $15m bonus, and then pitching about 10 total innings in the MLB season.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I just gotta know. Show me the boy. Lemme see my beautiful Rooster!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PotatoManJack posted:

Ooof, looks like a very probably end of the rode for Manjack, who's crowning glory was signing a $15m bonus, and then pitching about 10 total innings in the MLB season.

We'll see.

If his ratings don't take a dive after his UCL injury, he'll be fine. He's on the Angels roster, so maybe he gets activated after Spring!

HereticMIND posted:

I just gotta know. Show me the boy. Lemme see my beautiful Rooster!

Rooster is on an upward trajectory right now and seems to be entering his prime! The Mets are a pretty rich team and they've been consistently competitive in the gooniverse, so a see a good future for your boy.

2 championships and only 3 missed playoffs in the last decade is pretty drat impressive.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Devil magic is so pretty to look at, ain’t it?

:unsmith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

Also decided to check on the Tigers, who are losing 13 players to the offseason (so far), with a combined WAR of 12, mostly to free agency.

The 2033 lineup will not feature any of the following from 2032:

The Starting C, 1B, 2B, SS, or RF - literally only the goons are the same on offense.

3 of the 5 starting pitchers, and at least 2 relievers.

Completely different team in 2033 - better? ...probably not. They have added two backup catchers from waiver so far. Rebuilding time, baby!

Dat team leaderboard! Not sure why Reggie isn't there for average.

AVG rankings may require a minimum number of at-bats.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm sad with the completely unremarkable plateau that Splodey seems to have hit.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

JosefStalinator posted:

Kalan is not surprisingly the leader in plate appearances, but who would have thought that Adam Malysz would be the goon who has started the most games? He hasn't even APPEARED in as many as Kalan! And Mr. Saito is goon HR leader, though Bantoni will almost certainly shatter that soon.

I'm gonna take a guess that Houston being poo poo in this universe (they've had I think one play-off appearance since we started and have finished bottom of their division a lot), they start him a lot for his fielding and then pull him for a better hitter once they're behind a few runs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

vegeta is going to get injured, then its time for GT (Goku Time)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Red posted:

It's that. 3.1 plate appearances per team game I believe is the number they use

Considering she only ever plays 75% of the season I wonder how absurd Replica's 162 averages are

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

That's gotta be it, poor Reggie had such a poo poo year. I think the Tigers treated him pretty tenderly with his injuries because I noticed some fairly lengthy rehab stints of about a week each - he only played in about 20 major league games after June.

I just noticed that ratings tank a bit though. Color me slightly concerned.

Explosionface posted:

I'm sad with the completely unremarkable plateau that Splodey seems to have hit.

If they'd just leave splodey in the majors he could easily hit 30+ dingers a year! while probably batting .180

Tevery Best posted:

I'm gonna take a guess that Houston being poo poo in this universe (they've had I think one play-off appearance since we started and have finished bottom of their division a lot), they start him a lot for his fielding and then pull him for a better hitter once they're behind a few runs.

That'd be my guess as well, but since I don't save every box score I can't get data that granular.

Malysz is euphoric - he is enlightened by his own intelligence.

And Jesus have the gooniverse Astros been bad lately, though they tapered off for a bit at the start.

Namtab posted:

vegeta is going to get injured, then its time for GT (Goku Time)

I love that the game repeatedly reminds us that Goku is "special". Also lol that he played only a few games with the Yankees (tbf they got him in September). I didn't realize that he was also in line for a ring if TB had won.

IcePhoenix posted:

It's that. 3.1 plate appearances per team game I believe is the number they use

Considering she only ever plays 75% of the season I wonder how absurd Replica's 162 averages are

Just a casual 165 hits, 100 Runs, 107 RBI, 40 HR average nothing to see here.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh my word, I'm simming the season right now and something caught my eye, completely unnoticed:

Something look off?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Oh my word, I'm simming the season right now and something caught my eye, completely unnoticed:

Something look off?

Indy’s got a ball team now? Really?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HereticMIND posted:

Indy’s got a ball team now? Really?

Look closer - it's NOT an expansion team.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Cleveland's getting quite the rear end kicking apparently.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
they legalized ties in MLB??? And somehow a team has 3 of them already???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

DoubleNegative posted:

Those are spring stats - but the game just blindsided me by making a unilateral move that impacts 3 of our goons directly.