Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Inventory cleared, bounties banked, time to sleep 48ish hours lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

uwaeve posted:

Buy the Nezarec’s Sin

This is actually one of the earliest exotics I ever got and it frankly seems unlikely that I'll ever take it off.

Although maybe the one Xur is selling is a better roll or whatever? I don't really know how that all works, I've basically just been picking armor based entirely on how it looks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bleck posted:

This is actually one of the earliest exotics I ever got and it frankly seems unlikely that I'll ever take it off.

Although maybe the one Xur is selling is a better roll or whatever? I don't really know how that all works, I've basically just been picking armor based entirely on how it looks.

Don't feel like you need to rush into it but buildcrafting is cool as gently caress and if you get your stats, aspects, fragments, exotics and armor mods all working in tandem with each other you'll be able to do some truly insane poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bleck posted:

The short version of armor rolls is to consider total stat, and how those stats are distributed. Obviously more total is good - anything below 60 is not great. Ideally, you then want the stats to be somewhat focused on things you care about for your build, but for now, saving stuff with 60+ and big spikes in 1 or 2 stats is maybe not a bad idea. Resilience focused armor is hard to go wrong with as a general thing.

To this point, the Nezerac's Sin being sold by Xur right now has 64 total stat, with 27 in Recovery (Speeds up how soon your HP will recover after you stop taking damage ) and 28 in Intellect (More gives you faster super recovery)

You also don't need to worry about getting a good roll of armor that looks good: ADA-1 in the tower (robot lady near Drifter in the Annex on the left side) offers bounties that let you get currency that let you unlock transmog for any armor you've collected/had at some point.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 26, 2023

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Bleck posted:

If you want a very easy heuristic for what's considered good to keep:

Step one, check the stat total. You usually want 60+ in an armor piece as a baseline.

Step two, add the Recovery and Resilience stats together. The closer the total is to 30, the better. Higher than 30 you should always keep even if you're not going to immediately use it. Below, say, 15, junk it.

Step three, check Discipline. Higher the better.

R and R are considered the most important stats on gear - high resilience matters a lot for the damage reduction keeping you alive, and recovery for how quickly you can jump back into the action when injured. An early goal for buildcrafting is to get both as high as possible for PvE stuff; double 100 in both is a stretch goal.

Strength, Discipline, and Intellect help by reducing ability cooldowns, but there are class fragments, armor mods, and weapon mods that do the same thing these three stats do (and often better). Of the three, Discipline is considered the best because grenades tend to have more impact on gameplay than your melee ability so it's a good choice to focus on. Intellect doesn't really impact things as much as you might expect since you often hold your super until an appropriate situation, and a reduced cooldown matters less because of it.

Mobility is a dump stat on all three classes at the moment, even Hunter (where it affects class ability cooldown). It provides an advantage, sure, but nowhere near anything else.

These are not comprehensive rules, mind, and PvP builds will look for different totals; but good for forming a solid foundation of gear. When you know enough about the game to consider cases where you'd build into melee, or fast supers, or whatever, then you can worry about gear that meets those requirements.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Is it possible to change which corner in the UI the radar appears?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wouldn't call it a dump stat on Hunter necessarily, your dodge can do a lot of really cool stuff. Off the top of my head, it's necessary to activate Lethal Current.

It kinda sucks for Hunters because they gotta care about a stat that Titans and Warlocks just don't.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Waffle House posted:

you can turn on colorblind mode but it also changes a bunch of other stuff

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

MJeff posted:

I wouldn't call it a dump stat on Hunter necessarily, your dodge can do a lot of really cool stuff. Off the top of my head, it's necessary to activate Lethal Current.

It kinda sucks for Hunters because they gotta care about a stat that Titans and Warlocks just don't.

OTOH it’s by far the best class ability so that balances out some

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Haven't touched anything for this season but just did the final mission uploading Rasputin to blow the warsats and this location is from the DSC raid, right? It's a really cool mission and I like the robot things that Rasputin summons at various points which make for some very chaotic fights. I did it solo and it was alright so I dunno if it would need tweaking and more enemies added but I really wish they'd take stuff like this and add it to the strikes playlist because it would be fun to replay occasionally and since I don't really raid I appreciate when they use locations from them in other activities.

On that note, I'm messing around with season of the haunted stuff right now and just got a cool looking legendary trace rifle to drop (Prometheus Lens has always been one of my favorites and having a non-exotic trace rifle is great) which I'm looking forward to messing around with. The activity itself on the Leviathan is also really fun. Dropped in not knowing what the hell but quickly figured out to just shoot the highlighted baddies and carry balls to the thingy and keep repeating. I really like when this game provides pickup weapons like the scythes for this activity (and previously scorchers, and whatever that Rasputin weapon was on Mars which was like a spear) and I wish they did more with these, like adding them to Crucible maps as power weapons or something maybe? They're so fun.

The haunted Leviathan owns though and it will be a shame to see it go away since it's a cool location and the activity is enjoyably chaotic and concentrated, it's a lot better than the activity on the Moon itself (altar of sorrows?) and I completely forgot the Skorn existed until now because of the Tangled Shore being vaulted. Can't remember the last time I saw Taken either but I haven't played in eons, I think both are relegated to the Dreaming City now? I wish this haunted activity could be added to the strike playlist too but I think it would be too difficult since it seems designed for 6 players rather than 3? Always sucks seeing fun and interesting areas go away. Still miss Mercury and Titan. Seems too late to try and level up this seasonal thing to craft more of the trace rifle and other weapons but I'm glad I got to check this out before it's pulled because it's a great activity and having keys to open chests you have to find and seeing poo poo popping off everywhere you go as players trigger the activity in the entry area or gardens etc. is fun. Also really refreshing after having completed the Beyond Light campaign which was terrible imo, it looks like Witch Queen will be much better when I get round to it though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Haven't touched anything for this season but just did the final mission uploading Rasputin to blow the warsats and this location is from the DSC raid, right? It's a really cool mission and I like the robot things that Rasputin summons at various points which make for some very chaotic fights. I did it solo and it was alright so I dunno if it would need tweaking and more enemies added but I really wish they'd take stuff like this and add it to the strikes playlist because it would be fun to replay occasionally and since I don't really raid I appreciate when they use locations from them in other activities.
Lore-wise, it's not the same location as DSC, but it's very much a reused asset of that location. In the context of this season, it's actually re-using "Operation Seraph Shield" which was an exotic mission which was longer and more involved then what you did for the finale. That mission is getting phased out with the season, but will be back later this year as part of the Exotic Mission rotator. (Initially featuring Seraph Shield, Vox Obscura and Presage.) So while it won't be part of the strike playlist, they are making an effort to turn more of their content into longer-lasting stuff and that's cool.

e: I wonder if Lightfall with launch with an exotic mission or not. Like, we did just get Seraph, and Vox was 3 seasons after Presage. But also, Presage was the season after Harbinger, so who knows.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 27, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good news regarding the Vanguard Ops playlist though, they are gonna be adding more seasonal battlegrounds to it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind.

Probably dumb question; do you have to be a Voidwalker for Nezarec's Sin to work? I want to try out Green Mode when Lightfall drops, but I'm nervous about taking off my favorite hat.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

nope, you can use void weapons

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bleck posted:

Probably dumb question; do you have to be a Voidwalker for Nezarec's Sin to work? I want to try out Green Mode when Lightfall drops, but I'm nervous about taking off my favorite hat.

Nope, if you're using void weapons, it'll work with Strand. But you may consider something like, say, Verity's Brow if you have it, which is more neutral and will activate off of kills from any energy weapon.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

for future ref if a perk description says “[element] kills” that includes both weapons and abilities.

if it says “[element] ability kills” then it’s grenade, charged melee, super, or stuff connected to your dodge/barrier/rift.

a lot of stuff is pretty inconsistent and the tooltips need a once-over, but this should be accurate 100% of the time because they’ve been using the same language since release (as compared to other tooltips, where new terminology was added or dropped over the course of the game’s life)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And btw there'll be a perk in the seasonal artifact next season that's basically absolutely begging to be used on a Voidwalker with Nezarec.

"Void Weapons Channeling - You gain a temporary bonus to Void weapon damage after you defeat a target with a Void weapon while at least one of your Void abilities is fully charged. This damage bonus increases based on the number of fully charged Void abilities you have."

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Bleck posted:

It works off void weapons as well. That being said, the bananas Nezarec's Sin build sort of feeds off its own vortex grenades/melee/super, and is augmented by weapons. If I didn't have the void abilities I think I'd go for something else, but if you don't have much else good, then yeah you can stick with it. If you build into it on void you can have basically 100% grenade uptime if you can secure two kills with each vortex grenade, if I recall. Running around with Le Monarque and a void rocket launcher on Solar I could feel the difference between Nez and no Nez, but at that point I'd just use something else. I realize I am privileged (read: spent too much time in this stupid game) to have other choices, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nezarec's Sin is also heavily weighted towards getting the most benefit from like multiple kills fast...single kill gets you like 3 seconds of increased ability recharge. This stacks though so wiping out a pack with a rocket or Le Monarque or something can give you like 15 seconds right off the rip. Herein lies the power of vortex grenades as well...

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 27, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lotta my friends reporting getting kicked out of instances with various error codes tonight... thinking instead of trying to do operation seraph shield legendary at the last minute for revision zero's catalyst, i'm just going to hope that they offer some other way to get that catalyst given the mission is going to still be available on a rotator

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

nezarac's sin also looks dope, which is important.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

lotta my friends reporting getting kicked out of instances with various error codes tonight... thinking instead of trying to do operation seraph shield legendary at the last minute for revision zero's catalyst, i'm just going to hope that they offer some other way to get that catalyst given the mission is going to still be available on a rotator

Well drat, I was planning to wrap up my second Crucible reset and some other seasonal challenges

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that nezerac's that xur has just masterworked with 99 recov. 99. kill me

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

Lore-wise, it's not the same location as DSC, but it's very much a reused asset of that location. In the context of this season, it's actually re-using "Operation Seraph Shield" which was an exotic mission which was longer and more involved then what you did for the finale. That mission is getting phased out with the season, but will be back later this year as part of the Exotic Mission rotator. (Initially featuring Seraph Shield, Vox Obscura and Presage.) So while it won't be part of the strike playlist, they are making an effort to turn more of their content into longer-lasting stuff and that's cool.

e: I wonder if Lightfall with launch with an exotic mission or not. Like, we did just get Seraph, and Vox was 3 seasons after Presage. But also, Presage was the season after Harbinger, so who knows.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea seasons had exotics locked behind missions, I thought there was just the season pass exotic. I've missed out on a bunch of stuff it seems because I don't know what Seraph Shield is. Reading that Bungie's putting together an exotic mission rotator is great however. I don't know if it will have matchmaking or not (I'm guessing not? I remember Outbreak Perfected being pretty tough for example, but it's mainly due to countdown timer pressure making me screw up jumps so many times it was ridiculous) but just knowing these will be available is great. I thought any exotics would go to the tower kiosk to buy but I guess all these which were unlocked via missions won't.

I took a break not long after Beyond Light came out so I'm guessing that's 7 exotic missions I've missed? I know some are tied to dungeons which I haven't touched except for using the out-of-bounds glitch for the Moon one to get Xenophage but I'm assuming there was at least 1 exotic weapon mission per season? Will have to remember that.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Waffle House posted:

Nope.
Being able to do so would probably literally render the game unplayable, since it's a pile of barely functioning code already.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

What are the odds Telesto breaks or breaks something else and has to be turned off next season?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
woo hoo flawless Vow done, that one is not bad at all.

basically just the jumping and exhibition

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Oh poo poo, I had no idea seasons had exotics locked behind missions, I thought there was just the season pass exotic. I've missed out on a bunch of stuff it seems because I don't know what Seraph Shield is. Reading that Bungie's putting together an exotic mission rotator is great however. I don't know if it will have matchmaking or not (I'm guessing not? I remember Outbreak Perfected being pretty tough for example, but it's mainly due to countdown timer pressure making me screw up jumps so many times it was ridiculous) but just knowing these will be available is great. I thought any exotics would go to the tower kiosk to buy but I guess all these which were unlocked via missions won't.

I took a break not long after Beyond Light came out so I'm guessing that's 7 exotic missions I've missed? I know some are tied to dungeons which I haven't touched except for using the out-of-bounds glitch for the Moon one to get Xenophage but I'm assuming there was at least 1 exotic weapon mission per season? Will have to remember that.

Not every season has an exotic mission tied to it - this year had Seraph Shield for Revision Zero (a highly customizable Pulse Rifle that has a meter you build up to swap to a sniper mode) and Vox Obscura, for Dead Messenger, a wave frame special GL that shoots out 3 waves and can be swapped between the light elements.

It's a safe bet that the exotic mission rotator will not having matchmaking. Seraph Shield was interesting since it had the same "Legendary" modifier WQ Campaign missions did - it scales to fireteam size, so by nature it was balanced for solo. (And was actually kind of better to solo because of how the scaling worked) - the finale mission you played also had this scaling.

We're not actually sure what's going to happen to these weapons in the downtime before the rotator is added. I think they also want the rotator to be something you do even if you already have the guns too since they mentioned it'd be rewarding or something.

Beyond Light featured "Dead Man's Tale" from Presage - A lever action scout rifle that gives you maximum yee haw. and Hawkmoon from Harbinger, a handcanon which does more damage with the final round of the mag for every kill or precision hit you land. Both of these can currently be purchased from Xur with the exotic ciphers his quest gives. These guns also featured random rolls, so Xur in turn offers a random roll each week.

Bungie did mention they might want to try to bring these guns into the crafting system, so it's possible the exotic mission rotator might end up offering a way to customize these guns?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
a productive final weekend

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

GruntyThrst posted:

nezarac's sin also looks dope, which is important.

This is probably about 80% of why I don't want to take it off, yeah. It's both that none of the other exotic Warlock armors seem to have what I'm looking for, aesthetically, and also that none of the other helmets have cool horns.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the info, knowing it was just 2 exotic guns that I missed is a relief. I was able to get Hawkmoon and DMT from Xur. The wave frame GL sounds fun, I remember during the season where we free Saint XIV from the corridors of time or whatever it was that there was some nice gear for the activity, one of which was a really fun wave frame GL and it sucked when those weapons got sunset. Will keep an eye out for Dead Messenger appearing somewhere, maybe Xur will add it alongside Hawkmoon & DMT?

Still surprised Bungie hasn't offered a Crucible mode that enables exotics to be equipped in every slot as well, it would probably be pretty fun but ever since a bunch of maps got vaulted it seems that Bungie has forgot about PvP & Gambit completely?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

sure okay posted:

What are the odds Telesto breaks or breaks something else and has to be turned off next season?

If I'm not allowed to Strand tether to Telesto projectiles, I'm gonna send a mean tweet to Bungie

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

If I'm not allowed to Strand tether to Telesto projectiles, I'm gonna send a mean tweet to Bungie

Gonna try that just to see if my console explodes as a result

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Nope.
Being able to do so would probably literally render the game unplayable, since it's a pile of barely functioning code already.

drat

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the info, knowing it was just 2 exotic guns that I missed is a relief. I was able to get Hawkmoon and DMT from Xur. The wave frame GL sounds fun, I remember during the season where we free Saint XIV from the corridors of time or whatever it was that there was some nice gear for the activity, one of which was a really fun wave frame GL and it sucked when those weapons got sunset. Will keep an eye out for Dead Messenger appearing somewhere, maybe Xur will add it alongside Hawkmoon & DMT?

Still surprised Bungie hasn't offered a Crucible mode that enables exotics to be equipped in every slot as well, it would probably be pretty fun but ever since a bunch of maps got vaulted it seems that Bungie has forgot about PvP & Gambit completely?

There's a few other options for wave frames - Explosive Personality is a solar one from Risen (first season of WQ) so sadly that's getting phased out tomorrow, Foreberance is an arc from the Vow of the Disciple Raid, so that's not going anywhere and you can get chain reaction on that, and it slaps, and once in a blue moon Xur will sell Deafening Whisper, a void one.

Lightfall is adding a Stasis Waveframe... in the heavy slot. Which is interesting, but continues to deprive me of a slot 1 wave frame.

I'd be shocked if there's a new special wave frame somewhere else, but the fact that Foreberance will be the only active one kinda sucks.

e: and yeah, Gambit and Crucible are pretty neglected. Personally, I'd like to see like a holiday/seasonal event where they do the "oops all exotics" - maybe sort of like an IB thing where it happens 1-3 times a season, but it's allowed in all modes. Maaaybe lock out a few prestige achievements or disable it for master mode stuff, iunno.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 27, 2023

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
[Eva Levante voice] Don’t forget, don’t forget, wait!

Load up DIM, search is:armor and click the kebab menu, then “strip sockets” to rip all the mods out of your armor. Don’t get owned by bugged mods on day 1!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

99.9% chance there will not be a problem. I'm not gonna fault anyone who will not take that chance, because bungo, but like, testing for this scenario is absolutely something they will have done. I feel like whatever happened with artifice armor in the past was dumb, but far easier to argue as an edge case.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

99.9% chance there will not be a problem. I'm not gonna fault anyone who will not take that chance, because bungo, but like, testing for this scenario is absolutely something they will have done. I feel like whatever happened with artifice armor in the past was dumb, but far easier to argue as an edge case.

Lmfao good one. Great joke! Really made me laugh out loud!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Ordinarily I'd agree, but the upcoming mod overhaul has me thinking twice.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Any rundowns on Trials of the Osiris? I'm expecting to hear "oh, that's going away tomorrow, so you won't be able to get the cool bird armor, sorry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Went to try and finish the end-of-season mission on my 3rd character tonight, but was getting way too many mission-ending bugs. Between that and the videos I've seen of strange things happening in the nightfall today, we may be in for a rough ride on Tuesday.