Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
snip

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

That's a good way to get COVID.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wow I haven't seen that picture in years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that guy going around doing goatse in all the forums?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

regarding the recent news: i am fully prepared for this subject to get thrown into an absolute shitpile of horror, lets go

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is that guy going around doing goatse in all the forums?

I think it was tubgirl.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
They spammed tubgirl in D&D threads, specifically, and managed to bump 35 threads until they got probed. They are now permabanned.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Staluigi posted:

regarding the recent news: i am fully prepared for this subject to get thrown into an absolute shitpile of horror, lets go

Is there a reasonable explainer of the news?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is there a reasonable explainer of the news?

in super short after new classified reports were delivered to intelligence committees, it seems the US DoE has concluded that the Covid-19 pandemic "likely" originated from a laboratory leak in wuhan, so, now joining the FBI's position that the pandemic originated from a wuhan virology lab

intelligence council and four intel agencies haven't given any indication they want to change their own positions suggesting natural transmission more likely, but all assessment and confidence ratings (usually low, but in the FBI's case, medium i guess) on both sides of the issue work with a shared understanding of virtually no chinese transparency into the origins and pointed nonassistance in viral assessment

stepping aside the screaming issue of what this does not say and how much ambiguity remains, this is going to be one of those knock down drag out moments of scads of people who had already concluded years ago it had to be a chinese bioweapon attack or whatever renewing that part where they jump up and go AH HAH and extra super duper conclude it and things get weirder as usual

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why does the DoE have a voice in this anyways?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can we get a link to said news?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/politics/covid-origins-doe-assessment-what-matters/index.html

killer_robot posted:

Why does the DoE have a voice in this anyways?

apparently because they oversee a large network of laboratories, including some of the most advanced biology labs, and so they're integral in the biotech investigation of the characteristics of the virus itself. no idea why it shook out that way but it's apparently been a long running process

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Unless they have new evidence for lab leak it's complete garbage.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's no new evidence, the assessment has low confidence rating. Nothingburger.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ranter posted:

There's no new evidence, the assessment has low confidence rating. Nothingburger.

And yet the NYT headlines all skip that part, which is ludicrously irresponsible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seems pretty sensible to me.

Xenophobia worked to deflect blame from the Trump administration's disastrous covid failures, and the Biden administration has the same need.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
There seems to be a series of influence campaigns designed to undermine relations between the US and China.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Uglycat posted:

There seems to be a series of influence campaigns designed to undermine relations between the US and China.

There's two parts. This covid leak stuff is to be able to assign blame and therefore take the heat off neoliberalism's failures to handle the pandemic; failure to reduce unnecessary suffering and death. Deflection.

The other stuff you're seeing is about preparing the west for starting a war. This other stuff is less on topic for the covid thread though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's not like the wet market origin absolves China, you could make a reasonable argument about local officials covering up the initial outbreak in 2019 or doing nothing about the wildlife trade when it had already caused SARS and people had been talking about the pandemic risk for years.

Not that it really matters to the people trying to call it a Chinese (or Ukrainian) biological weapon.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Ranter posted:

There's two parts. This covid leak stuff is to be able to assign blame and therefore take the heat off neoliberalism's failures to handle the pandemic; failure to reduce unnecessary suffering and death. Deflection.

The other stuff you're seeing is about preparing the west for starting a war. This other stuff is less on topic for the covid thread though.

Yes, please try to stay on topic. In addition, if you're offering speculation, please present it as such rather than using the language of certainty.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koos Group posted:

Yes, please try to stay on topic. In addition, if you're offering speculation, please present it as such rather than using the language of certainty.

People offer their opinions as flat declaratives in this forum all the time, because putting "I think" and "in my opinion" all the time is redundant (people know it's my opinion because I'm the one saying it).

Is this new rule going to be enforced consistently because that's going to be a lot a lot of probations. Or is it just going to be used occasionally as a reason to punish some opinions?

E: If it's the former I don't mind helping out when I have some time I'll go through and report every opinion stated in a declarative form that I can find.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 28, 2023

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

People offer their opinions as flat declaratives in this forum all the time, because putting "I think" and "in my opinion" all the time is redundant (people know it's my opinion because I'm the one saying it).

Is this new rule going to be enforced consistently because that's going to be a lot a lot of probations. Or is it just going to be used occasionally as a reason to punish some opinions?

E: If it's the former I don't mind helping out when I have some time I'll go through and report every opinion stated in a declarative form that I can find.

It's not necessary for opinions, it's necessary for statements of fact. It's also not new, because stating something you suspect or think is possible as though you know it with certainty is misleading, and therefore an issue of good faith.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koos Group posted:

It's not necessary for opinions, it's necessary for statements of fact. It's also not new, because stating something you suspect or think is possible as though you know it with certainty is misleading, and therefore an issue of good faith.

Ok but the post you warned was a statement of opinion: " This covid leak stuff is to be able to assign blame and therefore take the heat off neoliberalism's failures to handle the pandemic; failure to reduce unnecessary suffering and death. Deflection."

Is that against the rules or no? It's obviously an opinion to me. But I suppose you could also rule it's a statement of fact. The motivations of the people pushing the lab leak theory are questions of fact that, I suppose, a mind-reader could determine are true or false.

I suppose also you could say that whether the handling of the pandemic is a failure and that it was neiliberalism's failure specifically are also opinion or speculation being presented in the "language of certainty"

Can we say those things or no?

What if we say Trump's pandemic handling was a failure? Allowed or no?

It just seems very fuzzy what you're going to decide is an opinion and what is a fact that needs "in my opinion" in front of it to be allowed.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 28, 2023

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Ok but the post you warned was a statement of opinion: " This covid leak stuff is to be able to assign blame and therefore take the heat off neoliberalism's failures to handle the pandemic; failure to reduce unnecessary suffering and death. Deflection."

Is that against the rules or no? It's obviously an opinion to me. But I suppose you could also rule it's a statement of fact. The motivations of the people pushing the lab leak theory are questions of fact that, I suppose, a mind-reader could determine are true or false.

Well, it is a statement of fact, yes. The poster is not talking about whether something is good or bad to them, they're talking about whether it objectively happened in a certain way or didn't.

VitalSigns posted:

I suppose also you could say that whether the handling of the pandemic is a failure and that it was neiliberalism's failure specifically are also opinion or speculation being presented in the "language of certainty"

Can we say those things or no?

What if we say Trump's pandemic handling was a failure? Allowed or no?

If you say something is a failure, that would be an opinion, and that part isn't what I was referring to. If you'd like to continue to discuss this, please PM me.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
I don't care if this gets me suspended or banned. They shall do so because I speak the truth. They shall do so because they can not control that they themselves are inhabited by the demonic sins of our forefathers within their own genetic and cultural transmission.

The fact is Americans hate Asians. They used them for slave labor for nearly 50 years. They banned them from immigrating to the United States for nearly a hundred. They use them as jokes. They desexualized their men in mass media. They used them as the target of economic fear in the 80s and 90s. They prepretrated a million man hours of pain, suffering, misery, destitution, prostitution and every other kind of crimes against humanity you could imagine. They have been the butt of jokes. The targets of hate crimes. They have been killed, murdered, raped, enslaved, tortured, time and time again. Their nations have been invaded. Their people have been forced to convert. Every single evil thing that could be uttered from the mouth of mankind, angel or demon or satan himself has been inflicted upon them by the west.

Now a virus came from their shores and shut down the whole world. This is just retribution. Like the 10 plagues of Egypt. The world has escaped honestly, quite unharmed compared to the tolls that the asian population has had to suffer. If all their suffering were held up, all their death collected, and released upon the western world as a bomb, there would be not one human in America that did not know the pain of loss nor one happy man alive on earth. The death toll would be beyond 100 million.

Naturally the reaction of that deep-seated slavery, rape, murder, assasinations, control, discrimination and evil passed on by our forefathers through both cultural transmission but also our very genes; has generated a deep inevitable racial response of hatred and blame that is being levied against China and all of Asia by the white men who control everything that is the massive capitalist machine that threatens to wipe out our very civilization.

The truth does not matter. The only thing that matters is race, capitalism and "freedumb". And Asians and their oposition to capitalism, their embrace of collectivism are other and anathema to White America.

Their is zero evidence that COVID escaped from a lab just like there is zero evidence that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

The white men will still use these conspiracy theories to enflict their racial hatred and their demonic activities on the entire planet in the form of war. They will kill others and they will kill their own children to stave their racial blood lust.

Woe to humanity. Woe.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

VitalSigns posted:

Seems pretty sensible to me.

Xenophobia worked to deflect blame from the Trump administration's disastrous covid failures, and the Biden administration has the same need.

Let the truth ring from the heavens. I will recreate accounts to quote this again and again as a act of penance for the MODS being utter poo poo. gently caress you.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Yeah but they do be eating bats tho

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

CameronisGod posted:

I don't care if this gets me suspended or banned. They shall do so because I speak the truth. They shall do so because they can not control that they themselves are inhabited by the demonic sins of our forefathers within their own genetic and cultural transmission.

The fact is Americans hate Asians. They used them for slave labor for nearly 50 years. They banned them from immigrating to the United States for nearly a hundred. They use them as jokes. They desexualized their men in mass media. They used them as the target of economic fear in the 80s and 90s. They prepretrated a million man hours of pain, suffering, misery, destitution, prostitution and every other kind of crimes against humanity you could imagine. They have been the butt of jokes. The targets of hate crimes. They have been killed, murdered, raped, enslaved, tortured, time and time again. Their nations have been invaded. Their people have been forced to convert. Every single evil thing that could be uttered from the mouth of mankind, angel or demon or satan himself has been inflicted upon them by the west.

Now a virus came from their shores and shut down the whole world. This is just retribution. Like the 10 plagues of Egypt. The world has escaped honestly, quite unharmed compared to the tolls that the asian population has had to suffer. If all their suffering were held up, all their death collected, and released upon the western world as a bomb, there would be not one human in America that did not know the pain of loss nor one happy man alive on earth. The death toll would be beyond 100 million.

Naturally the reaction of that deep-seated slavery, rape, murder, assasinations, control, discrimination and evil passed on by our forefathers through both cultural transmission but also our very genes; has generated a deep inevitable racial response of hatred and blame that is being levied against China and all of Asia by the white men who control everything that is the massive capitalist machine that threatens to wipe out our very civilization.

The truth does not matter. The only thing that matters is race, capitalism and "freedumb". And Asians and their oposition to capitalism, their embrace of collectivism are other and anathema to White America.

Their is zero evidence that COVID escaped from a lab just like there is zero evidence that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

The white men will still use these conspiracy theories to enflict their racial hatred and their demonic activities on the entire planet in the form of war. They will kill others and they will kill their own children to stave their racial blood lust.

Woe to humanity. Woe.

Is this your opinion or a factual statement?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

CameronisGod posted:

Woe to humanity. Woe.

Good news Imperial Japan, you're off the hook

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

The lab leak theory was always kind of plausible. Viruses are studied all the time and lab accidents happen all the time, they just typically don't result in worldwide pandemics. There was an initial coverup with doctors getting arrested and China being uncooperative, etc., which lends more credibility to this theory.

The biggest problem is that the "lab leak" theory gets conflated with the "engineered virus" bullshit, against all evidence that this is a naturally-evolved virus.

It's pretty silly to say that just because one American entity stated that they think the virus leaked from a lab that means that "the West wants war with China" (no they don't, and you can see Russia vs Ukraine for evidence for how much we don't want war with a major military power). All other departments said that they don't think it leaked from a lab, as did the WHO. If they are trying to blame China, they're doing a pretty poor job of coordinating this message.

Edit: Also, I don't have to tell anyone here that people don't really give a gently caress about COVID anymore, from not masking to not getting boosted (even though boosted people die of COVID at a fraction of the rate that people die of the flu for gently caress's sake). The masking is even less in Europe. This is a very bad time to try to get people angry at China regarding COVID.

small butter fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 1, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

small butter posted:

It's pretty silly to say that just because one American entity stated that they think the virus leaked from a lab that means that "the West wants war with China"

Who said this?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Ranter posted:

Who said this?

BBC News - FBI chief Christopher Wray says China lab leak most likely
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64806903

BBC News posted:

"The FBI has for quite some time now assessed that the origins of the pandemic are most likely a potential lab incident," he told Fox News.

It is the first public confirmation of the FBI's classified judgement of how the pandemic virus emerged.

Many scientists point out there is no evidence that it leaked from a lab.

And other US government agencies have drawn differing conclusions to the FBI's.

Edit:
If you're referring to the "war with China" comment,

Ranter posted:

There are lots of leftists who take any criticism of China or even ascribing something factual to them (Uyghur concentration camps) as prepping for war.

small butter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 1, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So no one said it, you're making something up to call it silly. The mod already stated that the war stuff is offtopic. You're trying to bring it back by making up that someone tied the COVID leak to war.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ranter posted:

So no one said it, you're making something up to call it silly. The mod already stated that the war stuff is offtopic. You're trying to bring it back by making up that someone tied the COVID leak to war.

Was that not responding to the big rant? (Which, granted, is also probably a silly thing to do.)

CameronisGod posted:

The white men will still use these conspiracy theories to enflict their racial hatred and their demonic activities on the entire planet in the form of war.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

No one said it but a mod said it was off-topic?

Regardless, the same argument can be made about "deflecting blame" for the failures of America's response. One agency says that it leaked, the rest say no, so the lack of coordination implies no conspiracy to blame China. And all this when people stopped caring about COVID anyway.

The accidental lab leak theory is plausible, though probably unlikely.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
It's bad enough that departments with no expertise in pandemics are releasing reports on COVID, it's inexcusable that they're being kept classified so they can't be peer reviewed in public while being used to support whatever conspiracy people want them to.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

small butter posted:

No one said it but a mod said it was off-topic?

Correct. And you are quoting me yet trying to claim I wrote something else that isn't in my quote. You appear to be confused, but I suggest giving this same page another careful read through to try and understand.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SaTaMaS posted:

It's bad enough that departments with no expertise in pandemics are releasing reports on COVID, it's inexcusable that they're being kept classified so they can't be peer reviewed in public while being used to support whatever conspiracy people want them to.

The Dept of Energy is actually in charge of 17 national laboratories including Argonne, Brookhaven, Lawrence Livermore, Fermi and the NVBL and sponsors research at hundreds of universities through the nation.

quote:

Through the National Virtual Biotechnology Laboratory (NVBL) established by DOE, the National Laboratories have collectively contributed to AI-informed epidemiological and molecular modeling, personal protective equipment supply chain challenges, the search for genomic clues, and other areas to support the Nation’s (and world’s) pandemic response.

More significantly they're also in charge of weapons development and testing, which includes bioweapons, so yeah I'd say they're probably pretty good at lab security when it comes to infectious agents.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Ranter posted:

Correct. And you are quoting me yet trying to claim I wrote something else that isn't in my quote. You appear to be confused, but I suggest giving this same page another careful read through to try and understand.

Not confused at all.

You were conspiracy-mongering about deflecting blame by blaming China, even though most agencies don't agree with the lab leak theory. You then went on a tangent about war, which you claim is unrelated to the lab leak theory, but here are these other things that we're doing to prep the country for war but concocting a lab leak theory is certainly not part of it, no siree. My reading was extraordinarily careful, which is why I picked up on these related points that you yourself, the author of said points, seemed to have missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All of Trump's agencies didn't agree with him about the lab leak either, that didn't stop some of his officials and his media allies from talking about it to deflect from his handling of the pandemic once it came here.

We're in postmodern politics, he wasn't saying it for the reality-obsessed fact-checkers, he was saying it for the man on the street who would hear something about a lab leak from China and then create an association between all the destruction of the pandemic and a foreign enemy rather than the administration's policies.

Biden has the same need I think, four(?) times as many Americans died under Open Biden policies which rolled back much of Trump's already inadequate pandemic controls.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 2, 2023