Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
2017 - Jam Grandad:

Observer today

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/26/battered-by-brexit-alarmed-by-poverty-city-finding-new-sense-purpose

quote:

There is an urgent need to reverse what is happening and the City must play its part. As the report discloses, our top insurance companies want to create a £50bn private sector national wealth fund to invest in British business – in hi-tech startups, green technologies, fast-growing companies and to help anchor our established best. It would be stronger still if done in partnership with a government willing to create its own £50bn wealth fund in parallel.

Also quote:

quote:

Starmer and the shadow chancellor, Rachel Reeves, have already proposed such a fund.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtuVBPwzstM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Starting to get the impression that this Starmer fella is a bit poo poo.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Donut posted:

Hopefully all of them

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
See this is what the High Court of Justice should have done with the first Charles, instead of letting them all jollybobs about in Europe for a few years and then come back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imagine how history might have turned out if someone went back in time and gave cromwell the giant lawn mower head choppy wall from tinto brass's caligula.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he doesn't even see the granweans

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the oval office

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/majority-of-drivers-say-aggressive-cyclists-threaten-their-safety-12820455

Lol, wtf are we going to do, scratch the paint on their beemer?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol the just pure stupidity of it, 99% of drivers in London can't even stay in a loving lane. Pedestrians are also loving morons.

As someone who was assaulted on my bike by 4 people after telling them not to cut off cyclists (completely calm as well) and the driver not even having a licence as it turned out when the cops came - Grant Shapps can go get hit by a loving bus.

Also not taking advice from a loving organisation that does zoom calls to get drink drivers back into cars, so doubly gently caress off. https://www.iamroadsmart.com/drink-drive

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 26, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Leaping into the thread to say that I saw Aftersun in the cinema last night and it is an absolute must watch. One of the best films I've seen since Uncut Gems.

If you want to take a break away from the misery of UK politics and fancy a superb drama, check it out.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

See this is what the High Court of Justice should have done with the first Charles, instead of letting them all jollybobs about in Europe for a few years and then come back.

Blended family coronation sandwiches don't sound nearly as delicious as mayonnaise, curry powder and raisins.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Diet Crack posted:

As someone who was assaulted on my bike by 4 people

Sounds like a you problem.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Is that you Grant Shapps?
Definitely explains the endless shitposting.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I would simply ride away from danger

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Surprised a kier starmer fan is so pro bike. Thought he'd had issues with them.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

keir starmer only hates "chairman mao style" bikes

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Imagine how history might have turned out if someone went back in time and gave cromwell the giant lawn mower head choppy wall from tinto brass's caligula.

I imagine that Cromwell would have used it to kill more Irish people.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Watching that Irish animated movie where he gets shot by Sean Bean and devoured by wolves was an almost cathartic release.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Camilla has played one hell of a blinder all these years.
Told she can't marry the one she loves, stayed quietly shagging him in obscurity for decades.
Became a minor hate figure when she was found out.
Bided her time when Diana fell out of the Queens favour.
Diana died, then the Queen, and not a year of her death some papers are just calling her the Queen already.
Now she's got her family in on the grift, feet under the table.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Diana died, then the Queen, and not a year of her death some papers are just calling her the Queen already.

She is the Queen tho

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

She is the Queen tho

Queen Consort

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Queen Consort

I feel like I've been drawn on this about 4 times in this and other threads and it's unseemly for an Irish man to get too deep on this make believe nonsense stuff so I won't. Don't put in the paper that I hug and kiss a picture of King Charles III (pbuh)

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

just call them what they really are, nonce #1 and nonce #2

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

happyhippy posted:

Queen Consort

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Was there a reason Philip was always Prince and not king consort?
Always made him sound like a side piece.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

He was a big fan of Purple Rain (that guitar lick at the start of When Doves Cry shreds)

No but really, the answer is as with all dumb poo poo among the monarchy; tradition. Male consorts just use the title they had before they married the future monarch, Prince Albert was a Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Phil was a Prince of Greece and Denmark (though he abandoned those titles before marriage, let's not make it even more complicated). Queen Anne's hubby was also a Danish Prince.

Have to go back to Bloody Mary for an English Queen who had a King husband and that was because he was King of Spain.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 27, 2023

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I think it’s ‘Prince’ as in the Prince of the Greek royal family that got binned off when he was a toddler, but I might be wrong

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Miftan posted:

I like a good kohlrabi which I've been informed is a kind of turnip.

I think the Kolrabi is a type of cabbage.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Miftan posted:

I like a good kohlrabi which I've been informed is a kind of turnip.

Nah kohlrabi is a cultivar of the same species as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale and collard greens. I never will get over that

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/potato-and-gochujang-braised-eggs

Excellent recipe that uses kohlrabi

Hmm really want spicy eggnchips now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Basically being the husband of a Queen emphatically does not make you a King, because patriarchally that would make you more important, so the husband of a Queen merely is whatever title the Queen bestows upon them. Hence why Phillip was usually "The Duke of Edinburgh"

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Mega Comrade posted:

I think the reason is that a King nominally 'outranks' a queen and Brenda was supposed to be top dog. All horribly sexist and archaic of course.

Efb

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega Comrade posted:

Because monarchy is deeply patriarchal and a king outranks a queen, so all the rules and traditions which let Elizabeth be the sovereign would get overridden if her husband was a King. Basically there's no such thing as a King Consort, the husband of a Queen Regnant is a King Regnant.

The last time this happened was with William and Mary, where they ruled jointly, but in the mid-20th century the mood in Britain was not conducive at all to having a foreign King, so they made Phillip stay a prince to side-step that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Which he was. It's a bit of a juggling act caused by obsession with rank. Victoria wanted to make Albert king consort, but Parliament blocked it as kings outrank queens. Philip of Spain was proclaimed King of England because he was already a king in his own right, but he didn't outrank her in England as the marriage agreement only made him king jure uxoris - he had no claim to the throne or authority outside his marriage to Mary.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol why do we still have this silly nonsense in 2023?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

Because the only thing this country values as much as needless cruelty is tradition

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mega Comrade posted:

This implies the amount of silly nonsense were constant or declining, which isn't supported by evidence

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Yea but you might delay my journey by 30 seconds and that just won’t do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do they still make that kings and Queens of England ruler, and is it longer now?