Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Endman posted:

lmao Xi invading Russia would be the funniest way this conflict could go

Dear Leader Xi prepping artillery to be transferred to Russia. Leader Xi knows that if Russia fails in Ukraine and is carved up by the guardians of territorial integrity with a bunch of western friendly puppet governments, China is completely surrounded and hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zodium posted:

it's like buying f35s, you have to do it as tribute to the empire

Yeah its this.

You buy F-35s to stop B-52s that you don't own from flying overhead. It's why they cost so much and perform so poorly.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Comrade Koba posted:

i don’t think we should deny mlmp:s lived experience of being an untrustworthy source. we need to Listen and Do Better.

Windows 11 is getting pretty good at stealth reboots (and even rebooting when I'm using it), restoring the windows and everything except the keyboard setting. Annoying.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Windows 11 is getting pretty good at stealth reboots (and even rebooting when I'm using it), restoring the windows and everything except the keyboard setting. Annoying.

I shifted to firmware controlled keyboards and never looked back. Ducky, Akko, that sort of thing.

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Those little flags tell me that the Bear is actually Russia, while the Dragon is China. This information should come in handy deciphering this no doubt profound book. Very helpful

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

xiaoren posted:

Those little flags tell me that the Bear is actually Russia, while the Dragon is China. This information should come in handy deciphering this no doubt profound book. Very helpful

You just know there are people out there who never knew those things before buying a copy. They may look at that cover and still not click internally.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol literally putting flag emojis into book titles because the average consumer of your work is as dumb as a gbs poster

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

isn’t that the book where Clancy brings up penis size relative to race constantly?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm all for helping those in need but when I see news reports of Ukranians refusing to live somewhere by choice because there's brown people in the neighborhood I really struggle to see why they get to have money I'd die for, also, Ukranians have the entire europian union as their patrons and the money tap will never shut off for them and the entire body politic of eastern europe is ride or die for them , they absolutely dont need money that should go to arabs like in syria, palestine or wherever who need it much more.

frankly i always thought of you as a wealthy computer-toucher or neom engineer for the saudis. if you don't mind me asking, (vaguely) what field are you in? i'm poor as poo poo as a hotel clerk

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Whats the official C-SPAM hierarchy of world leaders?

Xi > Putin > Hitler?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Endman posted:

isn’t that the book where Clancy brings up penis size relative to race constantly?

90% sure that's every clancy book

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
👰👮🏾‍♂️ 🔭🤓

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Xi > Putin > Hitler?

this is correct but it's missing quite a bit in-between

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Nix Panicus posted:

Xi > Putin > Hitler?

Stalin > everyone else

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
imo president xi should roll into russia and not stop until he gets to the atlantic

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nix Panicus posted:

Xi > Putin > Hitler?

kamala > dumbledore > trudaeu > ursula > biden

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what does that mean

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

imo president xi should roll into russia and not stop until he gets to the atlantic

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Cerebral Bore posted:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Sino-Soviet War 2: Electric Putaloo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Endman posted:

Sino-Soviet War 2: Electric Putaloo

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

crepeface posted:

lol literally putting flag emojis into book titles because the average consumer of your work is as dumb as a gbs poster

Eyyy there's no bears or dragons in this thing, i want my money back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

Eyyy there's no bears or dragons in this thing, i want my money back

i was a huge clancy fan from like '99-'02 and that book felt like an imitation of previous work, especially red storm rising where iirc the protagonist spent like 800 pages loving around iceland

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tafferling posted:

I'm sure this thread's extremely rational Russia discourse is just early 00's SA edgelordism an not anything actually malicious and some of the articles posted are actually interesting but gently caress, three quarter of posts are just bitching about GBS.
You know that's garbage, right?

you guys complain about everything. we can't shittalk gbs, can't deny genocide, can't smooch putin on the lips or insult eastern europeans smdh

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I agree but he should go east.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i say swears online posted:

frankly i always thought of you as a wealthy computer-toucher or neom engineer for the saudis. if you don't mind me asking, (vaguely) what field are you in? i'm poor as poo poo as a hotel clerk

Downwardly mobile middle class professional, not currently starving but barely making ends meet. Rich enough to buy warhammer but too poor to buy a car.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Isnt there a sovereign wealth fund that cuts checks to keep the populace happy enough to not overthrow their shitbag king, or is that old news?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Al-Saqr posted:

Downwardly mobile middle class professional, not currently starving but barely making ends meet. Rich enough to buy warhammer but too poor to buy a car.

have you gotten your cats yet?
currently protecting my soup from one of mine

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Is this legit the only Ukraine/Russia war thread left on the forums? Dang.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Nix Panicus posted:

Isnt there a sovereign wealth fund that cuts checks to keep the populace happy enough to not overthrow their shitbag king, or is that old news?

What you're describing was only the case for princes in saudi.

The blanket stipend for small gulf countries like the UAE, in saudi the typical patronage was either through government jobs like the beararacy or military, or favourable contracts if you're in one of the major trading families or outright land grants for academics and such. there was at one point a scholarship that paid for your tuition abroad but that's now over. good things were also college education is free and no taxes.

However now people like me who are from just pure professional backgrounds are much less well off, the country is being transformed by Mckinsey into a neoliberal absolute monarchy instead of a theocratic one, so an entire generation is now being pushed into service jobs and now we have to start paying VAT taxes and employment-based insurance, housing and land is much more expensive and out of reach.

I think now you have to try and submit a business plan for an entrepreneurship project or get married and you'll be given money from one of the wealth funds.

We're hosed and it sucks! So when I see Ukraine getting hundreds of millions while my life is getting more and more threadbare I really get mad!

Megamissen posted:

have you gotten your cats yet?
currently protecting my soup from one of mine

still need to save out to move to my own place. Once I have my own place I'll get two cats. Preferably Golden British Shorthairs or Ragdolls, but most likely I'll go to a shelter and pick up the ones who speak to me the most.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Feb 27, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think think the D&D thread is back up and there was always one in GiP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when a Republican says "Biden keeps sending your money to Ukraine", the disingenuous part is that if you vote for a Republican, they're still going to send that money to Ukraine anyway

it doesn't make them wrong to say that Biden should be spending that money fixing Flint's water pipes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

Downwardly mobile middle class professional

Aka the only middle class that remains, for now.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ardennes posted:

I think think the D&D thread is back up and there was always one in GiP.

I can't find one in D&D but maybe I'm missing it or it's just a weird in-between point. I'm not a GiP so I ain't wading in there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I can't find one in D&D but maybe I'm missing it or it's just a weird in-between point. I'm not a GiP so I ain't wading in there.

looks like it's this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579, most recent post is 15 minutes ago as of this writing. It was stickied so you might have missed it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they stickied the D&D Ukraine threads for some reason.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the gbs threads were also sticked, but not in the same sense

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

survival of the fittest, baby

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

when a Republican says "Biden keeps sending your money to Ukraine", the disingenuous part is that if you vote for a Republican, they're still going to send that money to Ukraine anyway

it doesn't make them wrong to say that Biden should be spending that money fixing Flint's water pipes

Your choice is which military supplier gets your cash. Raytheon or BAE.

When plumbing companies start charging 20 million for a bunch of high tech proprietary taps and U-bends maybe they'll get some funding traction but that's not even a mirage at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

gradenko_2000 posted:

They absolutely wouldn't be spending that money fixing the pipes tho, America First conservatism just means they use that money to build the MIC here. Their idea of spending it at home is spending it developing bigger and better weapons for 'defense'.

Conservatives plying leftist ideas to play on people's empathy is as old as time, don't agree with them they're not actually on your side.