Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Starbucks also failed in Australia iirc, because literally everywhere has better coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Starbucks also failed in Australia iirc, because literally everywhere has better coffee.

They've been trying to sneak back into Melbourne again in recent months.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
I am bringing myself down to one lovely takeaway a month so all this burger talk is kinda... meh

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've been trying to sneak back into Melbourne again in recent months.

There is a couple in Sydney that seem to be doing OK but they're right in the CBD and you could probably open anything there and find enough losers to keep you in business.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And meanwhile Donut King goes from strength to strength. I'm lining up there to get a chocolate dinosaur, but it's chockablok with boomers and their coffee cards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I am bringing myself down to one lovely takeaway a month so all this burger talk is kinda... meh

Get yourself some good takeaway instead then :colbert:.

Chrpno posted:

And meanwhile Donut King goes from strength to strength. I'm lining up there to get a chocolate dinosaur, but it's chockablok with boomers and their coffee cards.

Get the chocolate donut man and make him suffer limb-by-limb!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Tossing up between

Dinosaur creampie

And

Don't chop the dinosaur daddy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chrpno posted:

Are they still around? The one I used to go to with my gran shut down a long time ago. Apparently they were one of those chains that kept loving over their franchisees until they all closed.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jestery posted:

Tossing up between

Dinosaur creampie

And

Dinosaur creampie

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are they still around? The one I used to go to with my gran shut down a long time ago. Apparently they were one of those chains that kept loving over their franchisees until they all closed.

They still exist here-and-there, ditto for Wendies.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's one opening up in the lowest economic suburb in Toowoomba in the next couple of months. I'm pretty sure they're targetting the eshays/eshettes who think that Nike footy shorts and Nautica bitchbags are high fashion

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Inceltown posted:

There is a couple in Sydney that seem to be doing OK but they're right in the CBD and you could probably open anything there and find enough losers to keep you in business.

Those basically operate on tourist dollars and very little else I think, I honestly don’t know anyone who drinks it even once or twice a year.

Iirc Starbucks launched into oz with like 80 stores, and shut down like 65 of them within 6-7 years. Lol. Turns out Australians actually want coffee, not Starbucks’s milkshakes in disguise. Bear in mind they also launched these stores with basically no market research, no testing or piloting, or anything other than an arrogant assumption that whatever worked in the US would work here

Get hosed gently caress off etc

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

my local one shut a while back, i looked it up one day to see why, the franchisee was a kiddy fiddler

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

'straya

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Pluggatoo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Biggest ever cocaine bust in Australia

Some champagne comedy from the guys trying to get the loot

quote:

Police learned the alleged Australian arm of the group was waiting to receive the haul about 28 December, prompting WA officers to put together a dummy package using an inert substance.

They dropped the parcel off about 40 nautical miles west of Perth’s coast and over three days to 30 December, a shore party allegedly made three trips out to retrieve the package because they could not find it.

The party rode out in “uncomfortable conditions” in two vessels, Catalina and Cool Runnings – both of which ran into trouble.

Cool Runnings had issues with steering and washed ashore south of Moore River.

The Catalina crew towed Cool Runnings out to sea and allegedly transferred the inert package over to their vessel. Then the Catalina sank.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah Starbucks failed and someone else bought the rights for Australia and thought about it for three seconds

They (re)opened stores in CBDs to cater for tourists and families, at universities for students and shopping centres for boomers

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ringtail possum gtfo of Sydney only to find out the truck they caught went to Queensland so it's coming back home.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am enjoying this fast food/cafe talk. And I have some bullshit white noise opinions that I feel I must inflict upon you.

1) The dinosaur donuts at Donut King are fucken awesome. I always used to love getting one at the Karingal Hub

2) Starbucks failed in Aus. because we already had chains of generic coffee places that existed everywhere, (Gloria Jeans etc.), so there was no niche for Starbucks to fill. And the inner city hipsters(tm) wanted proper barista style fancy arse coffee, that Starbucks's sugary brown water could never compete with.

and 3) Where do spiders fit in on the milkshake scale? Do places still serve them? I always used to get a spider when we went to the Pancake Parlour as a child.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BrigadierSensible posted:

3) Where do spiders fit in on the milkshake scale? Do places still serve them? I always used to get a spider when we went to the Pancake Parlour as a child.

I'm sure plenty of cafes still serve them.

Hungry Jacks has this rip-off.

https://www.hungryjacks.com.au/menu/frozen-drinks-en/frozen-coke-spider

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In Australia and New Zealand, an ice cream float is known as a "spider" because once the carbonation hits the ice cream it forms a spider web-like reaction. It is traditionally made using either lime or pink cream soda.[9][10][11]

In the UK and Ireland, it is usually referred to as an "ice-cream float" or simply a "float", as "coke" is often used generically to refer to any cola in the United Kingdom, and "soda" is usually taken to mean soda water, sweetened carbonated drinks instead being collectively called "soft drinks", "(fizzy) pop" or "fizzy juice".

In Mexico, it is known as "helado flotante" ("floating ice cream") or "flotante". In El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Colombia it is called vaca negra (black cow), while in Puerto Rico it is referred to as a "black out".

In the United States, an "ice cream soda" typically refers to the drink containing soda water, syrup, and ice cream, whereas a "float" is generally ice cream in a soft drink (usually root beer).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wendys australia is funnily enough also known for milkshakes you need to eat with a spoon/insulin injection.

Been a while since I had one but they're pretty good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Laserface posted:

Wendys australia is funnily enough also known for milkshakes you need to eat with a spoon/insulin injection.

Been a while since I had one but they're pretty good.

I wanna try one of these.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Jestery posted:

Tossing up between

Dinosaur creampie

And

Go to Bread, Jessica!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/p3yS1FL.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wanna try one of these.

They're generally found in a standalone kiosk somewhere in a forgotten section of a suburban shopping center, spread sparsely through the country enough you're surprised one still exists when you stumble across it. (Ditto for Donut King tbh)

And yes their milkshakes, and ice cream, were actually pretty good from memory. I'm actually a little sad there aren't really any around Melbourne anymore.

Their flake shakes were my go-to. Laserface isn't kidding about eating them with a spoon, they're generally served with a straw that opens out at the far end so you have a spoon to scoop and suck with.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I need to buy a reusable straw, the paper one at the cinema disintegrated into oblivion a third of the way through the drink

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're generally found in a standalone kiosk somewhere in a forgotten section of a suburban shopping center, spread sparsely through the country enough you're surprised one still exists when you stumble across it. (Ditto for Donut King tbh)

And yes their milkshakes, and ice cream, were actually pretty good from memory. I'm actually a little sad there aren't really any around Melbourne anymore.

Their flake shakes were my go-to. Laserface isn't kidding about eating them with a spoon, they're generally served with a straw that opens out at the far end so you have a spoon to scoop and suck with.

Nah, the Wendys Crunchie shake was always way better than the Flake one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

90s ads with australians trying to do american accents are a very particular mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9_Usyqvv8

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nobody is putting on an American accent in that. Or maybe they're just doing such a bad job of it that I can't tell the difference between a fairly normal Aussie accent their attempt at a fake American one.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's subtle, but you look closely you'll notice those are actually animals, not Americans.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I suppose I was thinking more the other one, which very much dates it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtlLPXED8ZQ

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is the snake supposed to be his girlfriend? I don't think he should have used his gorilla grip on her like that but it was a different time.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Well 10 years ago I was talking with some Sydney wankers who reckoned Marrickville was the new Erskineville.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/nadinevoncohen/status/1633338639039221761

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hope you're not planning on catching public transport in Sydney today. Whole train network is down and busses are so full they're not even stopping at Railway Square.

Some sort of communication network problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chrpno posted:

Well 10 years ago I was talking with some Sydney wankers who reckoned Marrickville was the new Erskineville.

The inner west is still the inner west. everything from erko to canterbury rd maccas is still cool and full of the boheems, queers, trans, muso, junkie, derro and art students on mum and dads dime as it ever was. marrickville is gentrifying pretty hard with heaps of flats that will choke the roads once they're finished. the maccas they want to build on marrickville road is stupid.

the rest of the inner west beyond that is fine too, just not as much entertainment based nightlife or attractions besides ethnic cuisine.

marrickville is also bigger than newtown/enmore/erko combined