Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I can't find one in D&D but maybe I'm missing it or it's just a weird in-between point. I'm not a GiP so I ain't wading in there.

It's stickied, so you mighta looked too low. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579

The GiP one is civvy friendly.https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994572

I think there's also one in TFR? maybe no longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Al-Saqr posted:

Downwardly mobile middle class professional, not currently starving but barely making ends meet. Rich enough to buy warhammer but too poor to buy a car.

someone help him budget this

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ah thanks! Yeh it's the very first sticky so I totally missed it assuming it was the usual rules post. Lol ofc it wouldn't be.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Endman posted:

tabletop simulator. unless you really do just want to paint. then uh, blender? not quite the same. i replied to you even though this is meant for al-saqr. sorry.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Endman posted:

Food 20$
Shelter 30$
Warhammer miniatures 300,000$

Help someone I cant seem to get my finances in order.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Al-Saqr posted:

Food 20$
Shelter 30$

spend more on cats

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

They absolutely wouldn't be spending that money fixing the pipes tho, America First conservatism just means they use that money to build the MIC here. Their idea of spending it at home is spending it developing bigger and better weapons for 'defense'.

Conservatives plying leftist ideas to play on people's empathy is as old as time, don't agree with them they're not actually on your side.

I was mostly reacting to Al-Saqr being resentful of the Sauds contributing money to Ukraine when he and his countrymen could really use a hand. Because he's right to be resentful. And that doesn't mean that I think an American feeling the same way should side with Republicans, because you're right that they're never going to spend the money where they should. It was more that it's valid to feel like that's bullshit, even if there isn't necessarily a political party (in power) that's encapsulating the proper response to that feeling.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Homeless Friend posted:

the gbs threads were also sticked, but not in the same sense

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

Food 20$
Shelter 30$

Are sniffing paints & glues in the warhammers budget or is that seperate line item?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Al-Saqr posted:

Food 20$
Shelter 30$

:hmmyes:

have you considered also getting into Horus Heresy?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Megamissen posted:

spend more on cats

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ah yeah, that makes sense. This thread moves too drat fast.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol you absolutely know dullards are gulping this down wholesale

“While we are concerned about Russia’s deepening ties with them, Beijing cannot give the Kremlin what it does not have, because China does not produce the advanced semiconductors Russia needs,” Mr. Adeyemo said during his remarks. “And nearly 40 percent of the less advanced microchips Russia is receiving from China are defective.”

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

when a Republican says "Biden keeps sending your money to Ukraine", the disingenuous part is that if you vote for a Republican, they're still going to send that money to Ukraine anyway

it doesn't make them wrong to say that Biden should be spending that money fixing Flint's water pipes

As ever, the right wing is adept at pointing out the failings of our deeply hosed up system, they just aren't going to do anything about it either

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

This is going to be the new 'Russians can't make artillery shells and the guns will fall silent any day now"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Endman posted:

:hmmyes:

have you considered also getting into Horus Heresy?

I'm focused on Kill team for now, I am waiting to see what 10th edition will be like before jumping into normal 40k and I'll be using boarding actions as my starting point.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
china... stop selling that poo poo... we're warning you. also, they all don't work - the U.S. govt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't think the Russians need the latest chips for military action, and if China was shipping 40% defective chips maybe the rest of the world have...you know complained about it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Oh yeah, I stopped paying attention for several months, how did the very smart war knowers square the circle of 'Russia will run out of shells any day now because they are stupid orcs who can only plunder the rotting storehouses of the ancients' with it being year 2 of the invasion?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm focused on Kill team for now, I am waiting to see what 10th edition will be like before jumping into normal 40k and I'll be using boarding actions as my starting point.

nice

boarding actions seem cool; I might consider playing it if anyone I know can be bothered

maybe I’ll finally paint my Tau!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only recent stories i’ve read about chips being 40% defective are when chip companies tried to diversify out of china/taiwan and set up chip manufacturing in india or the usa

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

So Russia is beating back all of NATO through the Ukraine proxy conflict using only a fraction of the budget AND dodgy microchips?

Wow what a bunch of losers.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Look we want them to stop but even if they don't it doesn't matter bc the chips are stupid and ugly and we don't even really care anyway

Tsundere USA

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

the only recent stories i’ve read about chips being 40% defective are when chip companies tried to diversify out of china/taiwan and set up chip manufacturing in india or the usa

Chip binning exists for things like GPUs and CPUs. The good ones end up as the premium class leading chips. The dodgy ones get laser "amended" and end up in the lower performing bins. So your 970 whatever was probably born as a 980+ but came out retarded so they burned off the connections to the bad part and adjusted the firmware. Then charged you a thousand bucks for it anyway.

If Russia is getting wafers from China with only 40% of the chips peforming below intended spec that's actually not awful.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

the west seems real salty about their planned destruction of the russian economy not panning out

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
to the point of trying to will it into existence even

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

the west seems real salty about their planned destruction of the russian economy not panning out

Well inflation in The West [tm] doesn't seem to be abating so I imagine the rhetoric of "no it is YOU who are suffering economically the most!" will only ramp up from here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Chip binning exists for things like GPUs and CPUs. The good ones end up as the premium class leading chips. The dodgy ones get laser "amended" and end up in the lower performing bins. So your 970 whatever was probably born as a 980+ but came out retarded so they burned off the connections to the bad part and adjusted the firmware. Then charged you a thousand bucks for it anyway.

If Russia is getting wafers from China with only 40% of the chips peforming below intended spec that's actually not awful.

I'd like to throw in here that lower-grade SKUs are not only, or even mostly, the product of salvaging flawed chips. Once processes mature and success rates go up, flawed chips go down and manufacturers start deliberately maiming chips just to have something to sell farther down the stack.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to throw in here that lower-grade SKUs are not only, or even mostly, the product of salvaging flawed chips. Once processes mature and success rates go up, flawed chips go down and manufacturers start deliberately maiming chips just to have something to sell farther down the stack.

Gotta love artificial scarcity!

DancingShade posted:

Well inflation in The West [tm] doesn't seem to be abating so I imagine the rhetoric of "no it is YOU who are suffering economically the most!" will only ramp up from here.

I feel like the number of 'Inflation is because of Russia's war' news articles has gone down over time, and now its either gaslighting that there is no inflation or that inflation is due to greedy workers getting paid too much, mixed in with a small but growing number of stories that link inflation directly to corporate profits

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
what kind of processor does a guided missile even need. cant be that crazy if they made poo poo like this in the 70s

Endman
May 18, 2010

It’s a good thing all that price gouging during the pandemic had no consequences

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

if anyone wants to read this and found that nyt wised up to some of the usual paywall bypasses: https://archive.ph/Cnxor

looks like most of it is just put together using quotes from https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1286.

no actual information in either. it's just that exact statement.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

what kind of processor does a guided missile even need. cant be that crazy if they made poo poo like this in the 70s

i want you to think long and hard about the state of american manufacturing and if anything is built to be simple, effective and long lasting in 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
yeah thats in america tho.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

i enjoyed this, friend

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

whenever some natsec pundit says something to the effect of "Taiwan has the world's most advanced semiconductor foundries in the world, and China wants it, but Taiwan is going to blow it up to deny it to China", nobody ever really asks this question of "is the world going to come to a screeching halt if we can't manufacture 5nm chips anymore? what are 5nm chips even used in?"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Homeless Friend posted:

wide variety but the us stuff that's export controlled is usually basic rear end stuff that any embedded system is going to use. not sure how great this article is but these examples are generic enough https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/ukraine-crisis-russia-missiles-chips/

the parts that russia imported are mostly the same poo poo that's in everything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Oh yeah, I stopped paying attention for several months, how did the very smart war knowers square the circle of 'Russia will run out of shells any day now because they are stupid orcs who can only plunder the rotting storehouses of the ancients' with it being year 2 of the invasion?
I imagine they felt vindicated when Russia's offensive ground to a halt a few months into the invasion

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
post/username combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
btw look in SAD