Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gresh posted:

Game of Thrones 1-4 had many, many compelling characters though and the overall story always felt like it was going somewhere with momentum. I haven't played the game so I can't say if something was lost in translation with The Last Of Us, but to me this show is pretty standard stuff with every episode and tonight's episode further drove that home. I don't particularly care about Joel or Ellie and their motivations. Its an okay 7/10, maybe a 6. The next True Detective S1 or Chernobyl it certainly is not.

Yeah true enough. But not everything has to be amazing. Other things being better doesn’t make something worse.

It’s good. I’m not floored, but it’s very well done. The actors are all charming, the plot is only serviceable but still well executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

deoju posted:

If you decide you want to know what happens in the DLC, That's it. "What's 'option 3?' :cry:. Scene ends. What ultimately happens to Riley, and how Ellie met up with Marlene are never shown.

Ok thanks and that makes sense. I asked my daughter (she is a Naughty Dog fan girl) and that is what she thought.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Gresh posted:

Game of Thrones 1-4 had many, many compelling characters though and the overall story always felt like it was going somewhere with momentum. I haven't played the game so I can't say if something was lost in translation with The Last Of Us, but to me this show is pretty standard stuff with every episode and tonight's episode further drove that home. I don't particularly care about Joel or Ellie and their motivations. Its an okay 7/10, maybe a 6. The next True Detective S1 or Chernobyl it certainly is not.

Game of Thrones was also nothing close to being realistic or dedicated to being super tactically accurate, but people didn’t bother nitpicking every little detail. Chernobyl, True Detective season 1 are some of the best shows ever made - this obviously is not on par with that. Most shows are not on par with that, but I don’t see people getting into the weeds about how realistic or original something is with these other shows.

If you are watching every show and comparing it to Chernobyl, you are watching TV wrong.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Personally, I thought this episode was garbage.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
the C and B tier shows have the most trouble with this. when a show is an A you can forgive the nitpicky stuff more easily. GOT was solid through s4, but the nitpicking started right at s5 when the quality declined.

D and F quality shows people just make fun of or ignore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Moltke posted:

not only that, but it has the old gruff man with the adopted child relationship at the same time. the big difference is that zombieland has a lot more original content than TLOU.

It’s just derivative of stuff you’re not familiar with, I’d wager.

Zombieland is like a collection of a lot of comics and stuff like the Zombie Survival Guide.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

So I think the show pretty much confirmed that it’s in the teen girls at the mall genre in this episode. Gonna have to rewatch the rest of the season through this lens.

I thought the episode was referencing "Night of the Comet", which also featured two teen girls who had the run of an abandoned mall. This would explain the 80s soundtrack and Night of the Comet even has a sequence in an arcade (except in that movie one of the girls is playing Tempest instead of Mortal Kombat, because MK is a 90s thing I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YproiS5uAUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0HOZH2W8fU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

covidstomper58 posted:

Which part was garbage, the common teenager power struggles set in a post-apocalyptic society with limited career options, the magical night of two best friends exploring relics of an age of miracles they never really knew, or the last bit where their one night of abandon gave them both death sentences, and the older one set the tone that would carry Ellie through everything that would follow?

Or was it just the idea that anyone was going to pull off a fatality in MKII their first night playing without internet or Nintendo Power magazine?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

deoju posted:

If you decide you want to know what happens in the DLC, That's it. "What's 'option 3?' :cry:." Scene ends. What ultimately happens to Riley, and how Ellie met up with Marlene are never shown.

And for the show, I don't think you really need to show any of that because you can easily fill in the details on your own as to what went down based on what you already know from watching Episode 1 alone. Ellie waits out the infection with Reilly, Reilly turns and she doesn't, she has to kill Reilly to protect herself and she's found by the Fireflies when someone comes to check on Reilly's post in the mall and she's dragged kicking and screaming to Marlene when whoever finds her puts two and two together of seeing one alive girl, two dead mushroom zombie corpses and a bite on her arm that's already started to heal instead of also turn her into a clicker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Warner Bros/HBO taking full advantage of their ownership of the Mortal Kombat IP.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The scan lines were wrong on that fake tv
:goonsay:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

covidstomper58 posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Warner Bros/HBO taking full advantage of their ownership of the Mortal Kombat IP.

I did a watch party of the first few episodes with a friend the other week and one of the things we speculated on was the show's use of IPs and real world logo imagery and how it uses the post-apocalypse setting to its advantage by showing a lot those real world logos all torn the gently caress up. Like how there's a U-Haul sign outside the inn that Sam and Henry die in, but the rest of the sign is damaged and you only see the U, but your brain fills in the rest of it because it's clearly recognizable as a U-Haul sign. So we were wondering if that was WB/HBO's way of skirting around having to pay licensing fees for brands and poo poo, or purely an aesthetic choice, because this seems like it would be an expensive as gently caress show just from the product placement/licensing rights perspective alone, given how committed they are to the verisimilitude of things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bella Ramsay was loving great in this episode. That scene when she's on the horse and just takes a moment to stare with awe at Riley was :kiss: - plus the way her face lit up after the kiss and she realized that Riley was receptive to it as well, goddamn.

deoju posted:

If you decide you want to know what happens in the DLC, That's it. "What's 'option 3?' :cry:." Scene ends. What ultimately happens to Riley, and how Ellie met up with Marlene are never shown.

It's bizarre, I have a distinct memory of the DLC ending with Riley's death and Marlene discovering that Ellie might be immune, which I have apparently invented whole cloth in my head. Presumably because everything else we know allows the mind to fill in the blanks, and I've turned my speculation into memory.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 27, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'm confused, nobody's head was bashed in with a baseball bat this episode, but this is supposed to be a zombie genre series? These HBO folks really seem to be in over their heads, and clearly do not know what show I expect them to be making.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

the show's use of IPs and real world logo imagery

That laundromat that Joel and Ellie crashed into in KC had a vending machine with a 2003 accurate Doritos logo on it. However the shot's framing only shows 'Doritc.'

The only reason I'm clued into this poo poo is because of the film 2015 Spotlight which nailed these details. I remember watching it and thinking, "that's an old Mt. Dew logo."

Spotlight owns, btw.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

deoju posted:

That laundromat that Joel and Ellie crashed into in KC had a vending machine with a 2003 accurate Doritos logo on it. However the shot's framing only shows 'Doritc.'

The only reason I'm clued into this poo poo is because of the film 2015 Spotlight which nailed these details. I remember watching it and thinking, "that's an old Mt. Dew logo."

Spotlight owns, btw.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Everything is so meticulously framed or the set dressing and the wear and tear and dirt on everything alters the logos juuuuuust enough. Like how there was a MasterCard logo at the theater ticket booth in the mall, but there was a smear of dirt across the "MasterCard" part of it, so all you saw was an overlapping red and off-yellow circle. And I legitimately can't tell if it's just a stylistic choice, a way of getting around copyright and licensing poo poo, or an incredibly creative combination of the two.

Just on a nitty gritty technical level, this show is so loving well done, it's astounding. Now I'm gonna go watch Star Trek: Picard on Thursday and also be blown away by how the art department is also hustling their rear end off on that show, but instead of TLoU where it's enhancing an already great set of scripts, it's merely hoisting up a pack of kinda lovely scripts and carrying them as far as they can because no one in the writers room gave a poo poo about what they were doing.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Sure are a lot of people in this thread that are super invested in arguing over pedantic poo poo instead of just enjoying (or not enjoying) the drat show.

Anyways, loved the mall episode, lots of gorgeous shots here, and excellent character work from Bella Ramsey. The only problem is that I was so anxious the literal entire time because we know where it's going that I couldn't let myself just enjoy the moment.

Edit: On the above, I appreciated the ad display with a woman where someone had colored in one of her teeth with a ballpoint pen, which is 100% a thing that would happen to any ad like that left alone for more than a few minutes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Talorat posted:

Sure are a lot of people in this thread that are super invested in arguing over pedantic poo poo instead of just enjoying (or not enjoying) the drat show.

Anyways, loved the mall episode, lots of gorgeous shots here, and excellent character work from Bella Ramsey. The only problem is that I was so anxious the literal entire time because we know where it's going that I couldn't let myself just enjoy the moment.

Edit: On the above, I appreciated the ad display with a woman where someone had colored in one of her teeth with a ballpoint pen, which is 100% a thing that would happen to any ad like that left alone for more than a few minutes.

Someone also put a Joker smile on the guy in the LensCrafters poster at the bottom of the elevator. Even in the middle of the apocalypse in 2003, someone would be that kind of shithead.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Or was it just the idea that anyone was going to pull off a fatality in MKII their first night playing without internet or Nintendo Power magazine?

Yes, this is what ruined the episode for me.

But honestly, I wasn't crazy about this episode. I think it was because I wasn't in the right state of mind to watch it. You know, when you're not really in the mood to watch a drama or comedy or whatever, but watch it anyway and you end up enjoying it less? I'll have to watch it again later to form a better opinion on it. I can recognize that it was a good episode, but it just didn't hit for me like all the others did.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

What I loved about the first few episodes of this show was how efficient they were being with their storytelling. By skipping so much time after the outbreak, it felt like they were willing to just imply important story beats, move on with the narrative, and let the viewers use their imagination on how exactly stuff like the shopping mall incident played out. Now it feels like they're already running out of material and just trying to take up time, I dunno. It's frustrating how flashback-based every episode is. The shopping mall itself was cool, but the idea that we need an hour of flashbacks to see exactly why Ellie would decide in this moment to try to save Joel instead of leaving him is kinda stupid.

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 27, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was all also in the game, but as a DLC released later instead of a flashback.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

Game of Thrones was also nothing close to being realistic or dedicated to being super tactically accurate, but people didn’t bother nitpicking every little detail.

They really did; this forum has hosted so many many conversations about battle tactics and travel time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It was so sweet seeing Ellie get to experience a night of the childhood she never got to have, but choosing to do it after last week's cliffhanger was bullshit. I agree with Martman, we didn't need a flashback to tell us why Ellie doesn't want Joel to die. Ellie and Riley sneaking out at night had no tension - they were laughing and walking slowly in the alleyway that FEDRA had just driven by seconds earlier. Is FEDRA a bunch of fascist jackboots, or are they summer camp counsellors?

TyrantWD posted:

Game of Thrones was also nothing close to being realistic or dedicated to being super tactically accurate, but people didn’t bother nitpicking every little detail.

People loved Game of Thrones because of realistic details in season one like a mighty warrior getting killed by an infected cut, or the fact that anyone could die. Of course, the writers completely lost track of that in later seasons, so it felt disjointed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They ran across a building with lit skylights, like, what?

The mall is a “like a bunker” so FEDRA is not going to see the lights, but also it has a big pyramidal skylight like very mall?

These Fireflies have terrible opsec, in my quite humble opinion.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

That would loving rule, yea

They almost did that in Jaws but it turned the animatronic shark kept breaking so they decided to cut down on the shark scenes.

Turns out your ideas are consistently dog poo poo.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Martman posted:

What I loved about the first few episodes of this show was how efficient they were being with their storytelling. By skipping so much time after the outbreak, it felt like they were willing to just imply important story beats, move on with the narrative, and let the viewers use their imagination on how exactly stuff like the shopping mall incident played out. Now it feels like they're already running out of material and just trying to take up time, I dunno. It's frustrating how flashback-based every episode is.

There have been two flashback episodes, man.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Weird how all the complaints are focused on the episodes about queer characters! Super weird, and surprising. Strange!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Game of Thrones was also nothing close to being realistic or dedicated to being super tactically accurate, but people didn’t bother nitpicking every little detail. Chernobyl, True Detective season 1 are some of the best shows ever made - this obviously is not on par with that. Most shows are not on par with that, but I don’t see people getting into the weeds about how realistic or original something is with these other shows.

If you are watching every show and comparing it to Chernobyl, you are watching TV wrong.

I agree with the OP that this is so far a 7/10 show (i.e. pretty good! I'll continue to tune in every week!) but am baffled that anybody thinks Chernobyl or True Detective Season 1 were the high watermarks of TV in the last 5-10 years. They were both fine. They were both probably 8/10s rather than TLOU's 7/10. They were very well-made and I was engaged throughout but I'll never watch or think twice about them again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Everything is so meticulously framed or the set dressing and the wear and tear and dirt on everything alters the logos juuuuuust enough. Like how there was a MasterCard logo at the theater ticket booth in the mall, but there was a smear of dirt across the "MasterCard" part of it, so all you saw was an overlapping red and off-yellow circle. And I legitimately can't tell if it's just a stylistic choice, a way of getting around copyright and licensing poo poo, or an incredibly creative combination of the two.

Just on a nitty gritty technical level, this show is so loving well done, it's astounding. Now I'm gonna go watch Star Trek: Picard on Thursday and also be blown away by how the art department is also hustling their rear end off on that show, but instead of TLoU where it's enhancing an already great set of scripts, it's merely hoisting up a pack of kinda lovely scripts and carrying them as far as they can because no one in the writers room gave a poo poo about what they were doing.

A counterpoint to this is when they're jogging in the gym (which in itself is a good touch - the outside, even in the heart of FEDRA-dominated Boston, isn't secure enough for jogging!) there are still the old sports banners hanging from the rafters. This would be fine and even a good touch if it had been a year or two, but in twenty years has nobody in FEDRA thought that maybe those reminders of the past are depressing for their young recruits and bothered to send someone up with a ladder to remove them?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

freebooter posted:

A counterpoint to this is when they're jogging in the gym (which in itself is a good touch - the outside, even in the heart of FEDRA-dominated Boston, isn't secure enough for jogging!) there are still the old sports banners hanging from the rafters. This would be fine and even a good touch if it had been a year or two, but in twenty years has nobody in FEDRA thought that maybe those reminders of the past are depressing for their young recruits and bothered to send someone up with a ladder to remove them?

I dunno man, maybe people just aren't that eager to shred every reminder that the world was once a less horrifying place, and people actually did things they enjoyed and weren't afraid all of the time. Its possible that they just aren't completely dying to get rid of every piece of culture from before the downfall and turn it all completely sterile and joyless.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

freebooter posted:

Not my observation, but the societies depicted here are all very backwards looking (compare with Station Eleven, whose central conflict concerns a generational divide between pre-apocalypse survivors who can't move on, and the apocalypse generation who are trying to build their own customs and beliefs).

I can buy that Ellie's obsessed with the past, because there's always going to be someone like that, but part of me wonders whether that might be an outlier attitude -- seems like it might be a nerdy niche interest. I suspect they'd be huge swathes of kids who just look at escalators and carousels and old movies and just reject them, rather than find them fascinating spectacles, particularly given that twenty years have passed and most of this poo poo would have either been packed up or just degraded.

(BTW, what are your 10/10's from the last decade, if you have any. Not trying for a gotcha, this poo poo's so subjective. Just interested in what might resonate with a fellow Australian.)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
True Detective s1 being just slightly better than this show is a take I enjoyed reading on my telephone this morning.

I enjoyed this episode, but I’m definitely in the camp of people who think the pacing decisions are weird / feel off. That said, kind of silly to judge any of that before the season is even over, and it may work just fine in a binge rather than watching week to week live.

I was a little irritated about the inconsistencies of what the tolerance level of noise / vibration triggers these mushroom men. In the first part of the season a creaking stair can wake up legions of them, but this time turning on an entire mall and arcade multiple times did not, until the girls started yelling slightly louder than the dozen pinball machines going full blast.

I totally would have had the reveal/attack happen during the carousel scene, so I’m glad they showed some obvious restraint there, lol

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Sentinel Red posted:

..gently caress, they should have gone somewhere only playing 60s stuff I guess.

Kinda heartbreaking that the poor kid’s life has been so dull and devoid of joy that an escalator seems exciting.
:smith:

TBF this was my level of excitement at seeing a curved escalator for the first time in my late 20s. Who knew we had that technology??

Also enjoyed them not knowing what a screenshot is.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

freebooter posted:

I agree with the OP that this is so far a 7/10 show (i.e. pretty good! I'll continue to tune in every week!) but am baffled that anybody thinks Chernobyl or True Detective Season 1 were the high watermarks of TV in the last 5-10 years. They were both fine. They were both probably 8/10s rather than TLOU's 7/10. They were very well-made and I was engaged throughout but I'll never watch or think twice about them again.

Especially when The Leftovers exists as the actual high water mark.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Remy Marathe posted:

Which part was garbage, the common teenager power struggles set in a post-apocalyptic society with limited career options, the magical night of two best friends exploring relics of an age of miracles they never really knew, or the last bit where their one night of abandon gave them both death sentences, and the older one set the tone that would carry Ellie through everything that would follow?

They should have spazzed out over Soul Edge, not Mortal Kombat. Not to mention their arcade grip was totally wrong.
Then when they put on the masks I was sure MJ's Thriller was going to play, but instead we get a schmaltzy scene of room filling music coming out of some headphones.
Then of course Rue's little sister has been living at the mall for weeks, probably doing at least one test of her pipe bombs and cleaning off all those arcade machines and all that and now is when they wake up the fungzomb? What kind of ocular patdown did Rue's little sister even do on the mall? They should have at least pulled open one of those mall gates to a Spencer's or something and the fungzomb was in there.
There should have been an Electronics Boutique or a Babbages and they could have looked at all of the boxed games and said whoa these look a lot better than arcade games.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

covidstomper58 posted:

Then when they put on the masks I was sure MJ's Thriller was going to play, but instead we get a schmaltzy scene of room filling music coming out of some headphones.

Did you not see/hear how the store had music playing over the PA system? Riley unplugged the headphones from the Walkman and you see her plug a line in from the system under the counter into the Walkman.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Yeah I did miss that, I kind of checked out while watching the episode because none of it mattered since it was a flashback and we knew the outcome many episodes ago.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Having played the first game and having some idea what to expect, I thought putting the left behind content in where they did was a very clever move. Don't want to say too much more because spoilers.

If my memory serves though, we're pretty much at the precipice of the point the game really sucks you in to can't stop playing mode for the emotional roller coaster to the finale. Both excited/nervous about next week to see if they can pull it off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Having played the first game and having some idea what to expect, I thought putting the left behind content in where they did was a very clever move. Don't want to say too much more because spoilers.

It's canonically where it happens in the game too but the game actually warns you not to play it until you finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

covidstomper58 posted:

Yeah I did miss that, I kind of checked out while watching the episode because none of it mattered since it was a flashback and we knew the outcome many episodes ago.

How did you get through Chernobyl?