Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jen X posted:

1e in this context is Pathfinder 1e (aka D&D 3.5e), friend

Right, right, I see. Apologies for the crossed wires. When some one says "casters" my brain space goes through all editions of D&D, of which I consider Pathfinder 1e to be 3.55. And I don't know much about Pathfinder 1e's minutia, since I barely played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I let players know which is the weakest save and any resistances and vulnerabilities on a successful recall knowledge.

It isn't RAW and it makes a few class feats irrelevant but I've not had any complaints from my players. They make recall knowledge checks fairly often and sometimes even take Additional Lore in certain monster categories.

I do the exact same thing, which certainly helps, but locking a caster's basic ability to contribute (beyond hoping really hard, making assumptions based on enemy art, or throwing out buffs) behind a fallible action stinks as a design in general

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Still new to the community but from what I have seen the people on the pathfinder 2e reddit are kind of whiny and acerbic if you don't play they approve of so I have been ignoring at lot of it especially since some of it just seems to remind me of the bad edition wars crap when pathfinder 1e came out and they where taking a crap on 4th edition. Been staying pretty far away from the subreddit.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Vire posted:

Been staying pretty far away from the subreddit.

Oftentimes a good idea.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

Jen X posted:

locking a caster's basic ability to contribute (beyond hoping really hard, making assumptions based on enemy art, or throwing out buffs) behind a fallible action

What a ridiculous overstatement. A completely loving moronic take. If you can't manage to contribute as a caster without a successful Recall Knowledge check then that's your incompetence, not a flaw in the system.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Here's my general advice on playing casters: don't target the thing that looks like their best save.

Incidentally the casters carried the day in the level 6 vs Extreme encounter I had yesterday, while the martials barely held their own. (I was one of the martials, and literally had to roll two nat 20s.)

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
In my experience it does feel pretty bad having a spell saved against since you've spent your actions and a spell slot. A missed attack is usually just a waste of actions that turn and not further resources.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
You should be casting spells that still apply a debuff on a successful save or hit a lot of enemies at once. Having the target save for no effect shouldn't be happening.

Some spells are for enemy groups and others are for higher level bosses, you should memorize both.

Edit: You should also buy scrolls. A scroll for a spell two spell levels below your max is effectively free. Buy a bag of holding to keep them in and fill it up.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 25, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Evilgm posted:

What a ridiculous overstatement. A completely loving moronic take. If you can't manage to contribute as a caster without a successful Recall Knowledge check then that's your incompetence, not a flaw in the system.

settle down there beavis, saves are weirdly hard to guess in pf2 and it's often frustrating to see a fast weird lil bird like an elder cauthooj running around with fort as its highest save.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saves are usually pretty easy to guess but there's a big bunch of exceptions.

Recall knowledge being such a crapshoot and not very well defined by the rules is one of the worst things about the system imo. I tend to be very generous with the recall knowledge checks since players learning something about the thing they are fighting very rarely makes the fight less interesting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Right, right, I see. Apologies for the crossed wires. When some one says "casters" my brain space goes through all editions of D&D, of which I consider Pathfinder 1e to be 3.55. And I don't know much about Pathfinder 1e's minutia, since I barely played it.

If you remember how 3.5 changed harm to dealing a truck load of damage generated by rolling dice instead of the previous "go to 1 hp", Pathfinder 1e did that to many similar spells, like disintegrate. That's the crux of the confusion right there.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Whether to hit Reflex or Fortitude is usually easy once you see enemy art, except sometimes they decide it's actually Will that's the weak save because gently caress you.

Evilgm posted:

I think flinging slow, fear, hideous laughter, and synesthesia at every equal or higher level enemy because they lack incapacitation + are strong enough that their saved effect lets you skip the save discovery info tax is a band-aid on bad design.

Unless you mean using buff spells, in which case, uh, buddy, reread the thing you're trying to mock, or you mean flinging damage spells and hoping your general read of the enemy type or your encyclopedic knowledge of every 3.5 and pathfinder 1 monster manual means you can figure it out on your own, in which case I'm glad for you.

I guess there's like...physical wall spells? those often don't care what your enemy's saves are.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a question about the "free archetype" rule. Since it's a variant rule and you can have everyone in the group get the archetype based on the campaign, do they still have to otherwise qualify? Like, if you decide that the free archetype is alchemist, do they still need an intelligence of 14? Or, since it's free, is it just free of restrictions like that?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The GM can decide, really.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

marshmallow creep posted:

I had a question about the "free archetype" rule. Since it's a variant rule and you can have everyone in the group get the archetype based on the campaign, do they still have to otherwise qualify? Like, if you decide that the free archetype is alchemist, do they still need an intelligence of 14? Or, since it's free, is it just free of restrictions like that?

In general, all restrictions inherent to the archetype, such as ability score reqs, should still apply. The official published text on the rule explicitly advises considering ignoring the 2 feats before changing archetype rule for folks that get a dedication feat from their class or ancestry (eldritch scoundrel rogues, ancient elves, etc), or in cases where archetype selection is restricted by the campaign in a way that would otherwise make simply playing as written difficult or impossible.

Similarly, while the rules don’t state this, if you are running with a specific restricted list of free archetypes, and none of them work for a character because of prereq restrictions, obviously, the GM should reconsider enforcing those prerequisites, or expand the archetype list.

But no, I would not just ignore archetype prerequisites simply because you are running Free Archetype.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How do bard composition cantrips work with regard to having stuff in your hands? It seems like you're supposed to be playing music. Do you need hands for this?

Like on the "Knights of Everflame" actual play linked above, the actor playing the bard mimes playing a song on her violin with two hands to cast Inspire Courage, and then makes an attack with her sling. Nobody says she has to stow her violin and draw her sling before she can do that, because obviously if she had to do 2 interact actions she then wouldn't have any actions left to make an attack. Maybe it's just fluff?

Looking at the particular spells they don't seem to require an instrument at all, just a 'tune' or whatever. So you could just whistle your composition spells to keep your hands free?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Inspire Courage has spell components listed, and it only requires a verbal component, so you can cast it with your hands full.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=386

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Bards have a baseline feature in their spellcasting block that they can replace the material components of their bard spells with instrument-playing. You don't actually need an instrument to cast any of your spells, you just don't need a hand free to manage components if you're holding one.

Some of their features call for Performance checks, which can involve dancing or singing but also can involve instruments, so I think those come down to your choice of flavor.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm playing Quest for the Frozen Flame and we're in the last book, and did free archetype. It is wild. We all have 3-4 different archetypes now at lvl 9, and just got mammoth lord, which makes the game bonkers with how many icons are on the maps. I wouldn't change it for anything. My druid has Horizon Waller and Geomancer too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

OgreNoah posted:

I'm playing Quest for the Frozen Flame

There's a...Chrono Cross adventure path?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

it's actually a crossover with the prehistoric time period of Chrono Trigger

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I've recently gotten into 2e because a friend is running a game, and I've been playing around with frightened condition based builds. In the process, though, I've come across a couple questions and was curious if anyone in the thread knew the answers.

1) Is there an official response on the weird-rear end level curve for the Captivator dedication, where it's a level 4 feat for the dedication and then has its basic spellcasting feat at level 4 as well? Searching around for it I see people saying that a developer said it was a mistake but I can't find an actual source.

2) Does a Champion dedication gives you Tenets of [alignment] as a prerequsite for taking feats?

quote:

You are bound by your deity’s anathema and must follow the champion’s code and alignment requirements for your cause. You don’t gain any other abilities from your choice of deity or cause.
It seems like you have tenets since you're following the champion's code, but it says you don't get any other abilities so I'm not sure if you qualify for feats like Aura of Despair.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

basically the tenets are the specific details of your champion's code All Good champions share one set of basic tenets, all evil champions another. When Aura of Despair says it has "tenets of evil" as a prerequisite it just means you can't take it if you are a good champion.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Anyone have any good guides for a melee summoner that are relatively up to date? Considering going JoJo on the AV adventure path in a friend's campaign.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kitfox88 posted:

Anyone have any good guides for a melee summoner that are relatively up to date? Considering going JoJo on the AV adventure path in a friend's campaign.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UOly8_Fciwr7vXfrdKng4hcpqrFl5rx1Da1rmViQL8g/edit#heading=h.y55un25zek5c

This one should be current enough, and has a few melee/tandem strike builds included. The main sourcebooks missing are Impossible Lands, Dark Archive, and Treasure Vault, which respectively add some ancestries, some occult spells, and literally one magic item of specific interest to a summoner.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'd play the gently caress out of that I loved Chrono Cross.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chevy Slyme posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UOly8_Fciwr7vXfrdKng4hcpqrFl5rx1Da1rmViQL8g/edit#heading=h.y55un25zek5c

This one should be current enough, and has a few melee/tandem strike builds included. The main sourcebooks missing are Impossible Lands, Dark Archive, and Treasure Vault, which respectively add some ancestries, some occult spells, and literally one magic item of specific interest to a summoner.

Ok, that's the one I was looking at but I wasn't sure if there was a newer one, thanks. :toot:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The Guide to the Guide’s page is pretty comprehensively updated and unless a guide is hiding somewhere way outside the usual lanes (aka the author never posts it to either the Paizo forums or the subreddit), it’s likely to be linked and kept up to date there:

http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2019/09/pathfinder-2nd-edition-guide-to-guides.html?m=1

A good bookmark.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Has anyone used anything new from Treasure Vault? Opinions?

I love the Bottled Monstrosities but the "maybe your GM enforces this, maybe they don't" regent requirements and the fixed DCs (which means they can only be realistically Quick Alchemy'd instead of pre-crafted) is a big barrier to them being actually useful.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 28, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I love the Bottled Monstrosities but the "maybe your GM enforces this, maybe they don't" regent requirements and the fixed DCs (which means they can only be realistically Quick Alchemy'd instead of pre-crafted) is a big barrier to them being actually useful.

The new elemental bullets make the start of alkenstar much less of a slog for non-magical parties. 1 point of electrical damage might not seem like a big deal but triggering vulnerability is huge, especially when those same targets also have physical resistance.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

My old favorite 1e sorcerer character would have died to get his hands on the Starfaring Cloak. Any Desnan would.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kvantum posted:

My old favorite 1e sorcerer character would have died to get his hands on the Starfaring Cloak. Any Desnan would.

that is a pretty sweet item yeah! My 1e desnan cartomancer witch would love it.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Skunk Bombs are absolutely bonkers. Only d4 direct damage, but it's a Fort save vs sickened, slowed, and potentially blinded not only to the target but even to everything in the splash area. Targets that only got hit with the splash get their save result upgraded, but that's still sickened 1 from a failed save upgraded to a success. Against a group, that's a lot of potential actions being lost to retching and slowed for throwing a single bomb.

Sickened has always been one of the strongest conditions to inflict, since its penalty covers everything just like frightened does but instead of going away on its own you have to burn actions retching just for the chance to end it, but there weren't many reliable ways of inflicting it as a PC. Now bomber alchemists can just crank these out at will with perpetual infusions, and Powerful Alchemy will keep the save DC updated for you. You kind of have to be an alchemist to use it effectively because of that, but that actually helps a lot to give alchemists specific value beyond being a vending machine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Our group is just doing our first 2e campaign and are looking through the treasure vault and... is it just us or is the distinction between simple/martial/advanced weapons kind of extremely arbitrary? Sure, something like the three-section-naginata being advanced very much fits, that thing easily seems complex enough to warrant it. But then you've got stuff like the karambit (farm implement turned weapon), falcata (slightly more choppy sword), and gada (literally just a metal club) somehow counting as advanced, too. Meanwhile stuff that you'd think would be much more difficult to use like the rope dart or meteor hammer "only" counts as martial.

Now, fortunately our DM is more than willing to waive that on request (doubly so since there's basically nothing in there for rogues otherwise), but I can't help but wonder what their reasoning even is here. Is advanced just a "only fighters are supposed to have this" thing now?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Now, fortunately our DM is more than willing to waive that on request (doubly so since there's basically nothing in there for rogues otherwise), but I can't help but wonder what their reasoning even is here. Is advanced just a "only fighters are supposed to have this" thing now?

Advanced weapons are just better. While I agree access should be easier just giving them out means there is no reason to ever use simple or martial weapons.

That said, I think rogues should get access to martial weapons.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Perestroika posted:

Our group is just doing our first 2e campaign and are looking through the treasure vault and... is it just us or is the distinction between simple/martial/advanced weapons kind of extremely arbitrary? Sure, something like the three-section-naginata being advanced very much fits, that thing easily seems complex enough to warrant it. But then you've got stuff like the karambit (farm implement turned weapon), falcata (slightly more choppy sword), and gada (literally just a metal club) somehow counting as advanced, too. Meanwhile stuff that you'd think would be much more difficult to use like the rope dart or meteor hammer "only" counts as martial.

Weapons are basically built on a point buy system, advanced weapons are built on more points than martial which are built on more points than simple (also uncommon stuff gets more points than common, though less than the advanced->martial->simple steps). If you want to make a weapon like a Falcata with the highest one handed damage allowed AND a very good trait, it has to be advanced

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 1, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perestroika posted:

I think it's meant to balance the power of something that has lots of traits and/or higher damage die more than anything. Like this item has above average damage and more than three good traits, so it's advanced. I only base this on cursory familiarity with the weapon list though, because drat is the whole list a lot to take in.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Perestroika posted:

Falcata is a 1h weapon with Fatal D12. That would instantly be the single best fighter weapon in the game and nobody would ever use anything else ever if it were Martial. As Advanced, at least you need to pay a feat or ancestry tax to get it up to crit machine accuracy status. (Nerf Tengu)

Similarly the Karambit is Finesse/Agile and, again, Fatal. And the Gada is literally a Better Bastard Sword thanks to the addition of Backswing.

Weapons are budgeted.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Weapon Proficiency" is a level 1 general feat. It's easy to get martial weapon proficiency, but they don't work with sneak attack. You don't big martial weapon dice and sneak attack dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe