Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wrong Theory posted:

A bunch of us took parts of the metal wiring off of a hesco and used it to hold food over our trash fire. Then our medic yelled at us for probably ingesting heavy metals, but that made us want to do it more :black101:

I cannot even begin to describe the amount of cookies that got baked and pizzas reheated in the weld rod oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody come up with a new acronym for CARC that implies “tasty”.

Crayons Are Really Crunchy!

From what I remember of my limited dealings with 1st Tanks, the experienced crews had a fishing rod to use to exhaust heat their MRE's. You could also use duck tape on the fording kit exhaust of a humvee but the MTVR's exhaust would just melt the plastic and ruin the meal.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 27, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Steezo posted:

Crayons Are Really Crunchy!

At ease, Devil Dog.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

In principle, turbine exhaust can be pretty clean, when compared to grilling on an open flame, but I would not want to ingest things coming out of that turbine when fed JP‑8 with all its additives.

People always joke about cooking hotdogs using my hot air balloon burner. It's about 15 million BTU each burner. Cooks/burns them in a couple of seconds, but so much propane is used that the mercaptans (the thing that let's you smell it) also get infused in to the meat so you get sulfur-dogs.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

St_Ides posted:

People always joke about cooking hotdogs using my hot air balloon burner. It's about 15 million BTU each burner. Cooks/burns them in a couple of seconds, but so much propane is used that the mercaptans (the thing that let's you smell it) also get infused in to the meat so you get sulfur-dogs.

Wait you have a hot air balloon

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

slurm posted:

Wait you have a hot air balloon

We demand answers.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I flew hot air balloons commercially for 15+ years in Canada, the US, and Kenya.

I don't own my own at the moment.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

How are we just finding out we could have handled that balloon in-house?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
wait could you see like elephants and stuff

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did you ever bonk a giraffe on the head with your basket?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

slurm posted:

wait could you see like elephants and stuff

Yeah.

Platystemon posted:

Did you ever bonk a giraffe on the head with your basket?

Nah. They run away.

(faces and company info redacted)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Holy poo poo I’ve never wanted to go up in a balloon before and now it’s all I want to do.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

St_Ides posted:

Yeah.

Nah. They run away.

(faces and company info redacted)

that is pretty drat rad

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Did you ever go up alone at night in the moonlight and put on a song like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fACGm1zyDog

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Highly recommend it if you're in Kenya or Tanzania.

There are good places and bad places to do it.

Cappadocia is huge for ballooning, but you can't pay me enough to fly there.

Albuquerque is huge for ballooning too, but again, you couldn't pay me enough to fly the festival there.

I also just don't like flying around other balloons.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

By the authority vested in me by absolutely no one, I hereby command you to make a thread about your life as a professional balloon pilot. This sounds interesting as hell.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

St_Ides posted:

Albuquerque is huge for ballooning too, but again, you couldn't pay me enough to fly the festival there.

I also just don't like flying around other balloons.

The latter perfectly explains not liking the former. I live in Albuquerque and have been to 2 Balloon FIestas but it's not called the world's biggest gathering of hot air balloons for nothing.

One day I will have the money and guts to go for a ride.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

The latter perfectly explains not liking the former. I live in Albuquerque and have been to 2 Balloon FIestas but it's not called the world's biggest gathering of hot air balloons for nothing.

Its great, someone dies every year. Letting me recycle my "mass ascension suicide cult" joke annually.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

There's also no minimum hour requirements to fly in the festival. There are people literally flying their first solo there.

I fly with the same few people every day. I know how skilled they are and I'd trust them to fly my family in a second. I get nervous if they're within 50m of me in the air.

So you can imagine how I feel about being near a stranger in a crowded sky who could have literally zero experience.

Cappadocia has several times more balloons flying every day than there are licenced pilots in Turkey (they banned foreign pilots a while back). Also many of the companies are owned by the Russian mob. I've had friends flying there who tried to say the weather was unsafe to fly and got a gun to their head for their troubles. When a tourism company has a commission deal with a local hospital, I'm not going anywhere near it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This is getting very close to balloon air piracy stories which I cannot abide, as the steampunk enthusiasts will be insufferable.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Carth Dookie posted:

This is getting very close to balloon air piracy stories which I cannot abide, as the steampunk enthusiasts will be insufferable.

I miss crimson skies.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I went up in a mass ascension at Albuquerque as a kid, it was pretty rad. Got to go a couple more times with that balloon crew, my dad volunteered with them.

I also proposed to my wife on a hot air balloon ride, she said she always wanted to go in one. Landed in a residential neighborhood so there was quite the crowd. Once we were out I yelle out “we just got engaged” and gave her a big kiss. Turns out one of the people was taking photos with their dslr so we have this awesome picture of the balloon deflating behind us.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
C-wire chat in another thread reminded me of a good idiots story:

We were out training and doing more jumps than planned and needed more C-Wire. A unit offers to donate their "c-wire" to us, and they drop off multiple pallets of razor-wire. For those who haven't seen it, much nastier razors on it, far more likely to actually cut you up and cut deep rather than just slow people down or tangle up a truck like C-wire.

We issues the order not to use it, because 1: dangerous and 2: expressly not allowed to be used in the training area except special pre-approvals like MPs training detention facility ops.

An NCO decides that he won't use it, but he'll host a class on how dangerous it is in front of his troops.

The class, as recounted to us as we went over the incident report:
NCO gets up there, says razor wire is real dangerous, but he has a special glove and has used it before. He immediately slices his hand open, let's out a slow "ah fuuuuuuuck... See? Razor wire is really dangerous. Class over, if you have AAR comments, meet me at the ambulance."

I rode in one of the first balloons up for a mass blastoff at the festival, and it loving owned. Would recommend.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sounds like a rather effective lesson.

How many idiots tried the same thing afterwards?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
No one, but I mean... after that we had forklift operators remove the razor wire from the site and put it in a big truck and told no one to gently caress around in there. Razor wire control success story.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

None of them got cut up by razor wire but three of them went home and sustained butt chugging injuries that very night.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

mlmp08 posted:

C-wire chat in another thread reminded me of a good idiots story:

We were out training and doing more jumps than planned and needed more C-Wire. A unit offers to donate their "c-wire" to us, and they drop off multiple pallets of razor-wire. For those who haven't seen it, much nastier razors on it, far more likely to actually cut you up and cut deep rather than just slow people down or tangle up a truck like C-wire.

We issues the order not to use it, because 1: dangerous and 2: expressly not allowed to be used in the training area except special pre-approvals like MPs training detention facility ops.

An NCO decides that he won't use it, but he'll host a class on how dangerous it is in front of his troops.

The class, as recounted to us as we went over the incident report:
NCO gets up there, says razor wire is real dangerous, but he has a special glove and has used it before. He immediately slices his hand open, let's out a slow "ah fuuuuuuuck... See? Razor wire is really dangerous. Class over, if you have AAR comments, meet me at the ambulance."

I rode in one of the first balloons up for a mass blastoff at the festival, and it loving owned. Would recommend.

This reminds me of a story dan told me about some sergeant pulling a knife off someones plate carrier, then stabbing them casually through the SAPI plate, that wasn't there. Ayy lmao.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheWeedNumber posted:

This reminds me of a story dan told me about some sergeant pulling a knife off someones plate carrier, then stabbing them casually through the SAPI plate, that wasn't there. Ayy lmao.

yeeesh. Pro-tier plate shamming is when someone has cutouts of wood to fill out the plate and sound solid, but weighs like 5% as much. Not pro-tier shamming: When one of those guys forgot to put back in the real plates before landing in Iraq.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bulletsponge13 posted:

For perspective- the most produced and used US small arm of WW2 was the M1 Carbine.

Just wanna call out this individual point. If you've never fired an M1 Carbine, try and get to, and you'll understand why. I've never shot anything that was as comfortable or easy to point shoot with as the M1 Carbine. Soft recoil too, so putting multiple shots on target in semi-auto is like shooting a big pistol.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
As I understand it the M1 Carbine was designed as a short range engagement weapon that would take the place of a pistol as a sidearm. So being easy to shoot would definitely follow.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Going into the historical archives for a minute, let’s have a look at a U-boat sank off the coast of NC during WWII.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-352

quote:

Heinz Karl Richter, a Maschinengefreiter (equivalent of a Fireman 3rd Class) who survived the sinking and now lives in Canada, was interviewed for Discovery Channel's special coverage of U-352. He said that Captain Rathke was obsessed with receiving a Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross medal for sinking 100,000 tonnes-worth of enemy ships. Richter said that the captain's obsession eventually led to recklessness, ultimately resulting in the boat's sinking. Richter also said he was the last man out of the U-boat before it sank; those still on board were already dead, or perished in the boat as it sank.

If you check the wiki page, you’ll note there isn’t a section for ships sank by this sub. That’s because there were none. This nazi moron was captain of an enemy sub during a strategic loss for the US (that the nazis even referred to as “the great American turkey shoot”), patrolling waters where his fellow submarine captains sank over 500 allied ships of all types across the entire battle of the atlantic…and managed to get his own sub sank on its second patrol before sinking literally anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I thought they called it the second happy time. The turkey shoot was in reference to the air fight I we the Marianas.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I thought they called it the second happy time. The turkey shoot was in reference to the air fight I we the Marianas.

Apparently it’s both/all of the above (for the Atlantic), per NOAA. At least, “American turkey shoot”.

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/16battlefield/background/battle/battle.html

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It was from the German side. It was a free for all on merchant shipping, with U-Boats sinking ships within easy sight of major metropolitan areas. US Merchant Mariners had the highest casualty rate in WW2.

Its been mostly forgotten about and erased since the merchant marine remained civilian, with an active effort to deny veteran status and benefits to WW2 mariners.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

It was from the German side. It was a free for all on merchant shipping, with U-Boats sinking ships within easy sight of major metropolitan areas. US Merchant Mariners had the highest casualty rate in WW2.

Its been mostly forgotten about and erased since the merchant marine remained civilian, with an active effort to deny veteran status and benefits to WW2 mariners.

which is loving bizarre given that anyone who knows anything about the european war knows that was the single most successful german effort to destroy the UK and came within spitting distance of working

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
42 was the big year, and something like 100 of 350 ships were sunk. The Murmansk run was the worst part of that.

Mariners were perceived to be lowlife drunks and criminals so there was already poor public perception. Being civilians they were also perceived as greedy draft dodgers but the pay was the same as most civilians, only applied when the vessel was at sea, and ended the second they went over the side into the water when they were torpedoed. They didn't get benefits and paid tax so the 100$ a month or whatever they were making wasn't much better than the 50$ of a private. They also had to find their own way home and then had x number of days before they had to be back on another ship.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 28, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Panty Saluter posted:

As I understand it the M1 Carbine was designed as a short range engagement weapon that would take the place of a pistol as a sidearm. So being easy to shoot would definitely follow.

We had one of those when I was in high school. It is indeed a treat to shoot, accurate out to 200 yards, light to carry, light recoil. On the other hand, a full tear-down and reassemble is a loving chore. That thing is entirely small parts that fit together in cunning and clever ways designed to mystify you. It's still an A- sporting shooter, but be warned.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

42 was the big year, and something like 100 of 350 ships were sunk. The Murmansk run was the worst part of that.

Mariners were perceived to be lowlife drunks and criminals so there was already poor public perception. Being civilians they were also perceived as greedy draft dodgers but the pay was the same as most civilians, only applied when the vessel was at sea, and ended the second they went over the side into the water when they were torpedoed. They didn't get benefits and paid tax so the 100$ a month or whatever they were making wasn't much better than the 50$ of a private. They also had to find their own way home and then had x number of days before they had to be back on another ship.

what the gently caress

that's so much worse than i thought, and i already thought it was awful

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mllaneza posted:

That thing is entirely small parts that fit together in cunning and clever ways designed to mystify you.

I thought it was fairly straightforward.

Unless you try disassembling, like, the trigger group for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think any semi-auto rifle is gonna have fiddly mechanical bits. No way around it. When I bought a shotgun (pump action no less) and broke it down the first time it was very... that's it?