Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Ardeem posted:

Dilbert was still in the San Jose Murky News as of this morning, but if even his syndicate dropped him...

This is just a consequence of how newspaper comic strips work these days. Comics pages tend to printed out ahead of time, and then just inserted in the proper edition after publication. Dilbert is going to appear for a few more days in most papers because of this.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 26, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
what power does the security state hold over the new lifeform who would probably just press a button to turn the entire US government into mice if they crossed her

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Green scree.. What!

Cameras don't work like that!!!!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
All of the backgrounds are special effects. Some times the security guard gets bored and wants to see people wandering around a desert island or the vastness of space.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PainterofCrap posted:

For whatever it was worth - and I've repeated this in this thread a few times - the only Dilbert comics I've seen for most of the past 25-years were in the page-a-day calendar, where this vile stuff seems to be curated out. Not sure how much of it leaked into the papers...so maybe that's part of the reason it hung on as long as it did.

Oh it absolutely leaked into the papers. About a year ago Scott added the first ever black character to Dilbert, Dave, with the introductory strip's punchline being that Dave identifies as white. In a later strip, Dave informs the boss that his pronouns are now she/her, and threatens the boss that use of any wrong pronouns will be reported to HR. The PHB asks Dave "Is this parody or are you serious?" and Dave's response is "I think you'll find it doesn't matter."

There's also a strip where the PHB hires the 4chan NPC meme. So yeah, dude has been putting chud poo poo in the strip for a while.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

I tried to translate the panel in a way that'd make some sense in English, hence changing "oasis" into "resort"
Kellon ympäri pyörivä keidas = an oasis that's open all day long
Pyöriä = rotate/run/operate
Kellon ympäri = all day long/around the clock
Keidas = oasis, an old cliche term for advertising luxury resorts, shopping centers etc.
Kellon ympäri pyörivä keidas = an oasis that rotates around a clock

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

"Set for life" is a weird way to put "had your work ripped off, repackaged, traced, and used commercially without your knowledge or consent to the point where almost no one knows the artist's name", especially when you don't even credit KC Green in your strip, Monty :cripes: .

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/26/03

Brenda Starr 6/26-28/50

Spoilered for still more stereotypical Native American stuff.

Smokey Stover 3/8/53

Everyday Movies 2/27/36

"So I sez to the Boss, 'Listen, Mr. Fink, if you don't go on your winter vacation soon, I'LL have a nervous breakdown.'"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/19-21/40

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm glad Adams finally had to experience a consequence for something.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

:allears:

ronya posted:

it feels like Early Val would have very much seized on the problem of who's-really-running-things legitimacy if the regent goes to consult with the monarch emeritus, probably with Val instigating things to his own canny benefit

well, he's instigated this particular visit but it's portrayed as a good thing

Maybe I'm misunderstanding either you or the comic, but I don't think this is a common thing. Arthur retired sometime in the last few real-time decades and as far as I know this is the first time he's shown up since. Also Arn just resigned as regent last week.

Green Intern posted:

"Kinging it?"

It's a perfectly cromulent term :colbert:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 25, 1955)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

RIP Gawain. Killed by clowns.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

This is just a consequence of how newspaper comic strips work these days. Comics pages tend to printed out ahead of time, and then just inserted in the proper edition after publication. Dilbert is going to appear for a few more days in most papers because of this.

Yeah, at some point (this may no longer be the case), the Sunday comics pages were printed literally weeks ahead of time, so Sunday Dilbert may be appearing for awhile.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Eat poo poo, Adams.

Nancy 1943

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So for Adams, what was the final loving straw that broke this, because he's been such an rear end in a top hat for so long?

I mean even Elon Musk is saying the media is racist against whites so....it's probably something like that, isn't it. poo poo about bringing back slavery or something.

I just don't get it. Maybe because I've never been in that position, but I see idiots like the Dilbert guy and the lady that was on Mandalorian, and both of them went full chud screaming, and lost out on all kinds of insane money. WHY. Take the loving money!

And I am sure the creature in Legends of the Heights is based on mythology but I swear it just looks like a My Little Pony FiM OC rip.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

RIP Gawain. Killed by clowns.

In a world full of treacherous men he can be sure of two undyingly loyal idiots

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cowslips Warren posted:

So for Adams, what was the final loving straw that broke this, because he's been such an rear end in a top hat for so long?

I mean even Elon Musk is saying the media is racist against whites so....it's probably something like that, isn't it. poo poo about bringing back slavery or something.

I just don't get it. Maybe because I've never been in that position, but I see idiots like the Dilbert guy and the lady that was on Mandalorian, and both of them went full chud screaming, and lost out on all kinds of insane money. WHY. Take the loving money!

he basically said there's no reason for white people to care about black people and if you see a black person you should leave

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Congrats on your freedom Jex.

however we still need someone on that oar so uh

get back on it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pmurt broke these folks - he made it OK to say the quiet part out loud.

The problem is two-fold: only Pmurt could get away with it, and corporatists weren't quite sure how to deal with it because on the one hand, Pmurt was excellent publicity, and it took awhile for them to get hurt by these attitudes. Consequently, to some extent chuds could get away with being out about it because Pmurt, but now that he's marginalized, and businesses have seen how this kind of toxic radicalism hurts the bottom line more than the publicity helps, they're exposed & getting hit.

There's two levels to our culture: the moment-to-moment internet news cycle, and the depths of actual societal attitudes. The first one is constantly in motion, and setting a narrative that the (our) world is going to hell. But on a deeper level, society is more liberal: it wants actual freedom and choices, and we are moving in the right direction - mostly at a glacial pace, fighting corporatism all the way, and with occasional backward steps - but we are.

/end rant

I'd be a bit apprehensive if these two were my batmen:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Did the first two panels get switched in this one? It seems like it would make more sense the other way around.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In this case it was more like an I-beam that broke the camel's back. He literally said that (spoilering for paint-peelingly racist stuff) because a poll showed that a majority of Black people disagree with a white supremacist slogan, then all Black people everywhere are a hate group, and so all white people should just get the hell away from them. For a long time he's been able to get away with his poo poo, usually by the just-asking-questions defense, but there's... just no possible way to spin this one.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

What the gently caress is this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Did the first two panels get switched in this one? It seems like it would make more sense the other way around.

In this case it was more like an I-beam that broke the camel's back. He literally said that (spoilering for paint-peelingly racist stuff) because a poll showed that a majority of Black people disagree with a white supremacist slogan, then all Black people everywhere are a hate group, and so all white people should just get the hell away from them. For a long time he's been able to get away with his poo poo, usually by the just-asking-questions defense, but there's... just no possible way to spin this one.
Technically it was "almost half" disagreed with the slogan (according to Adams), but that's not actually what the poll said. The poll said 53% of Black people agreed with it, and only 27% disagreed. The remainder in the "don't know or undecided" portion. So not only was he deliberately ignoring the context of the slogan, he was deliberately misreading the results of the poll.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

I tried to translate the panel in a way that'd make some sense in English, hence changing "oasis" into "resort"
Kellon ympäri pyörivä keidas = an oasis that's open all day long
Pyöriä = rotate/run/operate
Kellon ympäri = all day long/around the clock
Keidas = oasis, an old cliche term for advertising luxury resorts, shopping centers etc.
Kellon ympäri pyörivä keidas = an oasis that rotates around a clock

I think you could translate more directly as “an oasis that’s open around the clock” and have it work just fine.
First panel sets up the obvious metaphorical interpretation as “a relaxing place open all day long” and then the second panel takes it literally.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Spider girl clone saga

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Good catch! This is how it's printed in the book, I thought I was having brain problems this morning when I read it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Lunch

Noor

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

And goddamn it Retail, Cooper is such a whiny baby. "Why can't we tell people we're dating? YOU'RE ASHAMED OF ME."
I dunno, if this is her immediate concern rather than actually communicating the issue with him, Cooper might have a point.

Mr. Squishy posted:

All of the backgrounds are special effects. Some times the security guard gets bored and wants to see people wandering around a desert island or the vastness of space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYUUOI4IOFQ

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kidcoelacanth posted:

to me the real question is why this didn't happen years ago, he's been vile for half a decade at least

Murdstone posted:

Yes, but your average newspaper reader didn't know that.

To confirm, I was visiting family over the weekend and flipped through the paper at my grandmother's to see what was on her local comics page these days (Which was, surprisingly, a ton of strips that I'd never even heard of because they aren't posted in this thread, but also Crabgrass :toot: ) My uncle said "I heard the Dilbert guy's in hot water, huh? That kinda came outta nowhere" and only my brother and I were able to say "No, he's been like this for a while, but to this point he wasn't being openly hateful enough to make headlines."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

And Val's father has never asked her to send him a copy of something in which she's been published?

Popcom

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So... she doesn't want anyone knowing she's dating Cooper because her dad is paying her rent?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 8, 1935)

Peanuts (March 1, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 14, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 28, 1939)

Out Our Way (March 6-8, 1941)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

How Wonderful! posted:

My life has become very very busy over the past few years but I just wanted to pop in here and celebrate never having to see Dilbert again with everyone.

I am glad to hear from you again and doubly glad for the circumstances.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

..."social media" and "write a biography for my website" have dick-all to do with one another!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Luann's best friend, Bernice, a future therapist, once saw no problem with looking into Piro's personal file at the school so she could find out how many appointments he's had with the school psychologist. I can see how Luann might not be aware of boundaries or privacy, especially as it relates to Piro.

Gil Thorp

It's not much, but it's a better Black History Month celebration than what some other comics writers decided to go with.

Home Free

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Dearest Love,
I love you.
Love,
Your Lover

Medenmath posted:

That's a good one.
A glaring error on the part of Koppy Kat. How does he continue to get away with being a forger?

F Minus

Someday.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD