Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Regardless, the art doesn't quite resemble the slew of jrpgs on steam. I'm sure somebody well versed in the genre will set the record straight though.

nil. posted:

But! The 14-year-old child soldier is not sexualized, and instead is adorable.

Agreed although her idle stance is frankly kinda weird. My girlfriend chooses the team's outfits and she always puts some pants on Anne

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

True, some actual pants do wonders for poor Anne.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To the casual viewer, Troubleshooter looks like anime. And in fact my partner and I have a running gag where he goes "ah you're playing anime again!" and I'm all "it's korean!"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Troubleshooter is undeniably anime-styled for the casual viewer. Like, sure, there are a lot of more anime anime JRPGs out there. I am sure it's a sub-genre difference, I don't know how to quantify anime.

i am also on team pants-on-anne

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The eye style kinda gives away the koreaness. Theres a popular game limbus that recently launched on steam, just look at their eye area.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I know this game is huge and has a shitload of content but also holy cow this is exciting/terrifying. I'm 15 hours in and:

30/240 achievements

chapter 2/at least 8

and then I open up the enemy index and

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the enemy list is very inflated by the monsters. there are a bunch of different variants of each monster type, each of which has its own evolution line. then there are unique monsters, which also have their own entries. so each big wilderness mission will add a dozen or so new entries.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Lets not forget Anne, our 14-year old child solider that I have throwing magical starlight at armed criminals.

if that's not anime as gently caress, then I don't know what is

I for one cannot wait until we inevitably get new classes, perhaps in Troubleshooters 2 or whatever, where Anne finally reaches her ultimate form as a pokemon trainer, eg. gains beast taming with a different focus from Giselle's Hunter. So she can team up with Silver. We all know it's going to happen at some point.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
things i am excited for in troubleshooter 2:
1. might finally get playable model lady
2. playable hanson (i am not delusional)

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 27, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I 100% expect Anne to get Beast Taming when tier 3 classes come online in the sequel. Whenever that is.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The real outcome to hope for is that Anne follows up on her thought when idling in the office and becomes a peerless swordswoman.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

nrook posted:

The real outcome to hope for is that Anne follows up on her thought when idling in the office and becomes a peerless swordswoman.

She has a similar thought about learning to use guns from Heixing.

Troubleshooter 2, Anne with a gun in one hand and a sword in the other! Now that's anime (from Korea)!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

things i am excited for in troubleshooter 2:
1. might finally get playable model lady
2. playable hanson (i am not delusional)

Hanson is lowkey the best character in the game. Just a middle manager doing his best while dealing with a mid-life crisis :3:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

I for one cannot wait until we inevitably get new classes, perhaps in Troubleshooters 2 or whatever, where Anne finally reaches her ultimate form as a pokemon trainer, eg. gains beast taming with a different focus from Giselle's Hunter. So she can team up with Silver. We all know it's going to happen at some point.

She's actually going to team up with that Rainbow Dorori that loves her. To get the class unlock she has to defeat a vending machine rival.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Honestly just make Silver a full fledge party member instead of another pet, lol

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I liked the touch that all the vignettes before the most recent mission consisted of the team members having healthy bonding activities outside of their Troubleshooter jobs… except Albus, who is On That Grind 24/7.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Honestly just make Silver a full fledge party member instead of another pet, lol

That reminds me, where can I get Silver? I somehow missed him completely

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azran posted:

That reminds me, where can I get Silver? I somehow missed him completely

You can't, he only shows up in story missions before you get Giselle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he leaves as soon as he sees anne. if you don't beat him once, there's no index entry.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Best way would be to redo the mission and keep back Anne, so Silver doesn't see her and thus runs away.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wait, am I about to gently caress myself over by having Anne in this mission? It's the one where you lead a group of Tima against Spoons, then swap to your regular force.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can replay story missions eventually and they let you skip the guest character segments on replays. but if you prefer to do it the first time around, just leave anne at the start.

i wouldn't really say it is loving yourself over, either. there's no actual benefit from getting silver's bestiary entry beyond filling in a blank space. many unique enemies have rare or unique drops, but not silver.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, phew. I'll come back for him later.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you can replay story missions eventually and they let you skip the guest character segments on replays. but if you prefer to do it the first time around, just leave anne at the start.

i wouldn't really say it is loving yourself over, either. there's no actual benefit from getting silver's bestiary entry beyond filling in a blank space. many unique enemies have rare or unique drops, but not silver.

I feel less bad about having Anne go explore the side of the map and accidentally uncover a Spoonist and get knocked out in a single hit on that map. But I still barely got Silver down that map. Took lots of fuckery with delay attacks to keep him from healing by chewing up my guys. And boy was I ever pissed when it stood back up after getting knocked down the first time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
As far as I am aware I don't think anything is missable in the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
New Violent Case out. Welcome to monkey hell.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...Immediately followed by a mini-patch nerfing the monkeys. Lol.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Did they add a way to check what a monkey is currently mimicking?

Keeping track of what they are immune to/can use is impossible when there are a bunch on screen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Did they add a way to check what a monkey is currently mimicking?

Keeping track of what they are immune to/can use is impossible when there are a bunch on screen.

They already had that, actually. If you mouseover the red/green monkey icons above their selection plates it tells you what they're mimicking and how many charges they have left.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Clarste posted:

They already had that, actually. If you mouseover the red/green monkey icons above their selection plates it tells you what they're mimicking and how many charges they have left.

:aaa:

Welp, that's going to make things a lot easier. I actually kinda burned out on Troubleshooter after finishing the previous dlc mission but that will be nice when I inevitably return.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, not really because there's very little you can do about it anyway. They gain the buffs whenever they see something happen, so basically if one person has it everyone in the group does too. So if you ever miss any attack ever, you're screwed until the next turn anyway. The only actual counter is to never miss them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Clarste posted:

The only actual counter is to never miss them.

Ah the ol Heixing Ranger solo.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Clarste posted:

New Violent Case out. Welcome to monkey hell.

Any tips for this? It seems like I'm going to need to put impulse fields on everyone just to survive the onslaught of critting monkeys that constantly dodge all my poo poo! :argh:

I don't even know what I'm going to to do to kill the Mungo King

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

Any tips for this? It seems like I'm going to need to put impulse fields on everyone just to survive the onslaught of critting monkeys that constantly dodge all my poo poo! :argh:

I don't even know what I'm going to to do to kill the Mungo King

Cannot believe those madmen added an Alien Ruler.

Just did the mission, built a killbox and concentrated on holding my ground until ~60 mungos were dealt with. Front line of Alissa, Draki Baron, tanky robot, Irene, and Leton (1hko’d by a crit in the first engagement, great job man). Anne slightly behind to provide reactive healing, wizards and gunners on high ground. Albus and Kyrie dealt with flankers. Lots of status clouds from Ranger Heixing and Giselle’s traps caused the enemies to stagger in, while my guys had smokescreen cover (prevents headshots and made draki super tough).

Defeated Mungo King by taking the first life bar with a Freeze Trap, then having everyone pile on for the second. Heixing dumped a ton of damage with supporting fire. Mungo King loved attacking my robot, which had that mastery that caps damage at 20%, which ate bunch of actions. Lost Alissa to a 10k(!!!!) crit, but other than that and the robot didn’t suffer casualties from the King.

Try to burn attacks on Lucky enemies to remove the buff — losing an action is better than losing a unit to a huge, unavoidable crit. Throwers are especially deadly.

Watch out for forestallment on the sword monkeys, lost Irene to that while trying to take out the Colorful guy with her overcharge.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm currently quite far into the game's vanilla story, just finished "Tears drops along Rain"

Prior to this chapter, I've been a little ambivalent about the story because it's clearly not the protagonist's story, it's been the story of the Alley kids, and I've not had hugely strong feelings about them until now.

Now? Carter's going to have to be glued back together, IN HELL.

I also did the 39V case at the abandoned warehouse that's just, Bicron hell. There's so many Bicrons, and automatons, and they're all powerful, I managed to score a kill on Jeff and get out with JUST Leton alive which hasn't happened at all up until this point.

Rather suspect it's time to craft some gear and re-review my masteries - but I did walk out with the Machine Hunter mastery as well, which means I'll be a lot more prepared next time.

Is there a decent farming spot to hit Jeff consistently? Gotta get a bunch of those beast taming masteries for Giselle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one of the key beast taming masteries is acquired via achievement from jeff. you have to tame one of his pets, which is pretty fiddly because jeff has to be alive or they are desummoned.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one of the key beast taming masteries is acquired via achievement from jeff. you have to tame one of his pets, which is pretty fiddly because jeff has to be alive or they are desummoned.

This must have changed because I've killed him in the past and his pets stay alive

Also holy poo poo these clowns hit hard

I still haven't got the "tame legendary beasts" mastery so I can then go tame a draki - where do they spawn?

Is there a build to powerlevel beasts?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

tithin posted:

I still haven't got the "tame legendary beasts" mastery so I can then go tame a draki - where do they spawn?

You can't tame legendary Draki (or any Draki) because they're all immune to taunt. Instead you have a tame a Draki hatchling and raise it. They spawn in one particular Violent Mission which is appropriately enough the Draki Nest. I believe you need to do another generic mission first to unlock it, but it's been a long time.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 19, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The one with the crystal cave, go deep enough and you find the entrance to the cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a big long mission and you can only grab 3 or so eggs each run. thankfully, relatively few draki variants have unique masteries from leveling so you don't have to get a full set.