Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Putin has spent decades and decades ensuring that absolutely nobody can launch a coup against him. It's his one area of competence. I really don't see it happening. Even Wagner are just a loud mouthed faction of the military, not enough of it to do anything and their leadership is chosen for loyalty* over competence.

*For Russian values of the word.

And worth noting the vast majority of Wagnerite command is just rich guys playing brutal soldier. There's a good article going into Wangerites that were in the East and fled after encountering resistance from Ukrainian forces, and they basically quit on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Forum drama discussion goes… not here. I don’t know where, I don’t care where, but not in the Ukraine thread.

Last warning, next time I’m carpet bombing sixers.

Don't do that.

It'll interfere with my ability to drop 24s. :getin:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The admins have opened the SAD thread for providing feedback on the closure of the GBS thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025159&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=2

If they open the GBS thread back up, I plan to keep this thread bookmarked as well, it’s been a great alternative perspective on things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Putin has spent decades and decades ensuring that absolutely nobody can launch a coup against him. It's his one area of competence. I really don't see it happening. Even Wagner are just a loud mouthed faction of the military, not enough of it to do anything and their leadership is chosen for loyalty* over competence.

*For Russian values of the word.

I think that's actually a misread. There's a mix of views, but there's a reasonable take that 2008-2012 was a genuine attempt to take a step back from the Presidency and from 2012 to 2020 the Kremlin has announced and concluded a number of 'constitutional reform' projects (i.e. Putin retirement and succession plans). The guy is old and has probably been trying to get out of his job for a decade but can't find a way to do it without everything falling apart because he's built a system that can't function without him.

The protection groups have been around forever, but it's only in the last couple of years that Russia has taken an diversion down the hardcore authoritarian and coup-proof regime model.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Like, the covers off right? Wagner is really just a parallel military organization that owes political allegiance to Putin and not the state right? This seems an awful lot like the in fighting between the Wehrmacht and the Waffen SS.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Have I not been clear enough? Talk about Ukraine, not Something Awful.

gently caress.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

McNally posted:

Have I not been clear enough? Talk about Ukraine, not Something Awful.

gently caress.

A GBSU-24 has been dropped on the target.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Are there any updated estimates or articles on the proportions of Russian armed forces/proper soldiers versus convict conscripts signing a 6-12 month contract and basically given an AK and told to go thatway, active somewhere in Ukraine? I know most of the Wagner dudes, or at least the ones commanded by Wagner dudes, are the ones who got recruited from prisoners are were most in of the bloody human wave attacks and thus the most expendable, but I am curious on the overall makeup as of now.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Murgos posted:

Like, the covers off right? Wagner is really just a parallel military organization that owes political allegiance to Putin and not the state right? This seems an awful lot like the in fighting between the Wehrmacht and the Waffen SS.

Tangentially, does the System Putin require constant arbitration by the leader between the personal fiefs like the 3rd Reich System required? I mean, for the 3rd Reich building a parallel military organization directly loyal to H. was a necessity considering the power of the "old elites" aka the Wehrmacht (before 1941), but why did Putin take this path?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hay guys, I know some of you're angry and disappointed, but it's not this thread's fault. So, um, maybe don't poo poo it up. :)

The relevant thread is in SAD and currently open. Just FYI.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Power Khan posted:

Tangentially, does the System Putin require constant arbitration by the leader between the personal fiefs like the 3rd Reich System required? I mean, for the 3rd Reich building a parallel military organization directly loyal to H. was a necessity considering the power of the "old elites" aka the Wehrmacht (before 1941), but why did Putin take this path?

I think that's my basic assumption here. I don't think Putin allowed Wagner to get to this point because he thought it would be better at military functions than the Russian Army, I think he did it because he needed a deniable way to exert power externally and as a lever against too much power consolidating in one place in Moscow.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Please don't gently caress up this thread, or I will beg/bribe IK status, and rule in my proper place as a Benevolent Dictator Ruling with an Arbitrary Iron Fist, fueled by retirement, boredom, and drugs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Please don't gently caress up this thread, or I will beg/bribe IK status, and rule in my proper place as a Benevolent Dictator Ruling with an Arbitrary Iron Fist, fueled by retirement, boredom, and drugs.

As an ex-mod: You do not want this.

This is pain.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

EorayMel posted:

Are there any updated estimates or articles on the proportions of Russian armed forces/proper soldiers versus convict conscripts signing a 6-12 month contract and basically given an AK and told to go thatway, active somewhere in Ukraine? I know most of the Wagner dudes, or at least the ones commanded by Wagner dudes, are the ones who got recruited from prisoners are were most in of the bloody human wave attacks and thus the most expendable, but I am curious on the overall makeup as of now.

It's basically very murky on this front. Mobiks are told to sign up, often given little to no training, told they'd be given x or y position or sent to z place under false pretenses (very commonly, the mobiks complaining are told they get trained to do one thing, say artillery or logistics, and instead get forced into human wave attacks, or promised they'd be taking up positions as occupying forces in the temporarily occupied territory, and sent the same way as the former lot.) Then there's what's left of the contract soldiers/professional army; they're often gathered in groups and attempts are made to force them to sign new contracts for up to a year. It varies depending on what happens to them if they refuse; they either get lucky and nothing happens, or imprisoned with little food and water for a period of time in pits in the ground and sent anyway to penal battalions, etc., and most of the 'elite units' themselves have been destroyed and reconstituted so many times that their actual force compositions are very degraded compared to where they were at the beginning.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

bulletsponge13 posted:

The US used the MCLC, the mine clearing charges where it launches a 'rope' of C4 to blow a channel, on building all over Iraq.

That's interesting, I've never heard about the US doing that. The size of that explosion pretty much speaks for itself, but how do you even aim this thing? Pen and paper calculations on the spot, or are there tables for this improvised role?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

EorayMel posted:

As best I know Wagner was the only group actively recruiting from prisoners, and estimates had them at maybe 50k or so at max. Estimates of the Russian Armed Force's manpower is around a million or so.

Like I said - Wagner is small fry making a lot of noise. Despite the impression they may want to give, they're not actually a complete parallel Russian army waiting in the wings or anything.

Edit: They were estimated at maybe 8-9k prior to the war.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tomn posted:

As best I know Wagner was the only group actively recruiting from prisoners, and estimates had them at maybe 50k or so at max. Estimates of the Russian Armed Force's manpower is around a million or so.

Like I said - Wagner is small fry making a lot of noise. Despite the impression they may want to give, they're not actually a complete parallel Russian army waiting in the wings or anything.

Recently Wagner was banned from recruiting further from the prisoner pool. Now only the Russian Army itself is directly recruiting them, and forming penal battalions. This was first confirmed by what happened at Vuhledar and also in a news article I can't seem to find at the moment, from a captured prisoner on the front line.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Murgos posted:

I think that's my basic assumption here. I don't think Putin allowed Wagner to get to this point because he thought it would be better at military functions than the Russian Army, I think he did it because he needed a deniable way to exert power externally and as a lever against too much power consolidating in one place in Moscow.

I also wonder if the recent developments of Wagner guys complaining about, say, not getting enough ammo, was Putin's way of punishing Wagner for not taking any meaningful objective fast/good enough(could be very wrong though). Plus Putin's own paranoia(the giant empty table jokes) and self-preservation of limiting Wagner trying to get any funny ideas about their superiors.

zone posted:

It's basically very murky on this front. Mobiks are told to sign up, often given little to no training, told they'd be given x or y position or sent to z place under false pretenses (very commonly, the mobiks complaining are told they get trained to do one thing, say artillery or logistics, and instead get forced into human wave attacks, or promised they'd be taking up positions as occupying forces in the temporarily occupied territory, and sent the same way as the former lot.) Then there's what's left of the contract soldiers/professional army; they're often gathered in groups and attempts are made to force them to sign new contracts for up to a year. It varies depending on what happens to them if they refuse; they either get lucky and nothing happens, or imprisoned with little food and water for a period of time in pits in the ground and sent anyway to penal battalions, etc., and most of the 'elite units' themselves have been destroyed and reconstituted so many times that their actual force compositions are very degraded compared to where they were at the beginning.

Tomn posted:

Edit: They were estimated at maybe 8-9k prior to the war.

zone posted:

Recently Wagner was banned from recruiting further from the prisoner pool. Now only the Russian Army itself is directly recruiting them, and forming penal battalions. This was first confirmed by what happened at Vuhledar and also in a news article I can't seem to find at the moment, from a captured prisoner on the front line.

Really interesting, thanks. I also wonder how many of them went from prisoner->contracted soldier->managed to desert/surrender/run the gently caress away without anybody noticing and just going anywhere but into the Ukraine meatgrinder or back into Russian hands in reality, despite however little information there is. I also know about the POW swaps and uh...usually doesn't end well for the guys given back to Russia, especially if they were the Wagner contract fighters.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Power Khan posted:

That's interesting, I've never heard about the US doing that. The size of that explosion pretty much speaks for itself, but how do you even aim this thing? Pen and paper calculations on the spot, or are there tables for this improvised role?

I'm assuming it's 'Chuck in direction of enemy with fingers crossed' at this point.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://warontherocks.com/2023/02/the-war-will-grind-on-reflecting-on-a-year-of-war-in-ukraine/

quote:

Today, the Russian military is at the nadir of its strength: fielding poorly trained and poorly coordinated units with a diminishing stock of munitions. But, as is always the case in war, the enemy’s weakness is only significant if you have the capacity to capitalize upon it.

Russia’s latest offensive was launched in haste, with too few troops to make major breakthroughs. Around seven brigades of assault troops remain in Luhansk and about four in the south. The immediate tactical question that will dictate the course of the conflict over the remainder of the year is whether Russia can force Ukraine to commit its reserves to blunt its attacks. If it does, it may spoil Ukraine’s ability to launch offensive operations.

RUSI's Jack Watling is easily the most insightful commentator on the current state of the war I've found over the last year, especially when it comes to pinpointing policy shortcomings and identifying future trouble areas.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Was Wagner the Russian group in Syria that attacked a SoF group and got their attacking force annihilated by air strikes or was that some other deniable Russian merc group?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Soylent Pudding posted:

Was Wagner the Russian group in Syria that attacked a SoF group and got their attacking force annihilated by air strikes or was that some other deniable Russian merc group?

That was them, yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

Same Wagner, mixed with some Syrian forces.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

zone posted:

Exclusive: Russian convicts say defense ministry is sending them from jail to fight as 'cannon fodder' in Ukraine

zone
Dec 6, 2016

aye, that's the one, thanks. :)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

heh those wagners got absolutely obliterated. I think in the course of the battle they got hit with AC-130s, F-22s, F-15s, some Reaper drones, a few Apaches, and a B-52 strike and that's not even getting into the artillery and HIMARS support

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Forum drama discussion goes… not here. I don’t know where, I don’t care where, but not in the Ukraine thread.

Last warning, next time I’m carpet bombing sixers.

Get your own gimmick

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HonorableTB posted:

heh those wagners got absolutely obliterated. I think in the course of the battle they got hit with AC-130s, F-22s, F-15s, some Reaper drones, a few Apaches, and a B-52 strike and that's not even getting into the artillery and HIMARS support

Wasn't there a translated post from a wagnerite a few weeks back explaining how they weren't humiliated, actually, because a surprising number of them survived?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Computer viking posted:

Wasn't there a translated post from a wagnerite a few weeks back explaining how they weren't humiliated, actually, because a surprising number of them survived?

I'd argue two would be a surprising number against a red white and blue patriotic hellstorm

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I can of course not find a trace of that post when looking for it, so consider it unsourced at best.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tomn posted:

There was also that photo early on in the war about that one Polish volunteer helping load Ukrainian aid supplies while wearing a hentai hoodie.

Surprised the man didn't spontaneously combust from embarrassment the moment he walked out his door.

Anyone with the mojo to wear those in public, they gently caress.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1630245722875461633
I haven't seen a voenkor seething this hard since the great Kharkiv goodwill gesture, and that's saying something.

e: crude google translation;

quote:

Zastavny #serezhahome
Again. Perhaps - perhaps if - during six months of geranium calibrations, these hundreds and thousands of calibers and geraniums fell not on low-voltage substations, but on the fortifications in Avdeevka, Vugledar, Gulyai-Pole, Kupyansk, Krasny Liman, Seversk, Artyomovsk, Dzerzhinsk, then , I repeat POSSIBLE - it brought at least a little more effective result than AT ALL, *slur*, NO? Do crests have electricity? Eat. Does Ukrainian logistics work? Even how the hell it works, ask the residents of the Kursk and Belgorod regions. Do you understand that right now I am literally physically ill from the realization of the loving fact that the billions of rubles that were used to make and purchase THOUSANDS of flying clubs went to gently caress?
I apologize for the mats, this is just another question that cannot be discussed without them.

zone fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 27, 2023

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

Hmm, I remember seeing something like that as well. Was able to find these tweets on the topic:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1624540493911666690
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1622891726070226945

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Power Khan posted:

The US is different than that Russian system; I'm not an engineer, so I only know from what I've seen and studied. The US Vehicle launch mine clearing charge can collapse residential buildings in Iraq.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1630260975973670912

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its disturbing how often these guys just....go full bore into minefields.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

It lets all the other guys know where the mines aren't now!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

CommieGIR posted:

Speaking of which....

https://twitter.com/maria_drutska/status/1630275423077539840

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So if you go fast enough theoretically you can survive infinite mines?

I mean a dumbfuck idea i know but thats kinda funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Artificer posted:

So if you go fast enough theoretically you can survive infinite mines?

I mean a dumbfuck idea i know but thats kinda funny

Feels like someone trying to use Half Life glitches to speedrun the minefield :gonk: