Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It demonstrably does not work that way. Stimulants literally affect ADHD brains differently, scientific research has proven this. This is a horrible stereotype perpetuated by the same people as anti-vaxxers, essential oils freaks and anti-medicine (except my medicine) moonbats in general.

It's not just a trend, it's a symptom! There's a reason why people with undiagnosed ADHD drink so much goddamned coffee. I didn't understand why my psych would side eye me when I said I felt like I could focus more when I drink absurd amounts of caffeine in a short period of time til I later realized she thought I was trying to worm my way into getting stimulants. No, doc, I just feel better when I let a cup of coffee grow lukewarm and then shotgun it in one go.

It is a little deceptive though because the first couple of days on a stimulant is a little euphoric, but that fades quickly. If you're taking it for a condition and not for whatever else then you just don't get high, that's the whole point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Haystack posted:

To add onto this, the reason that this is the case is because ADHD-havers generally have more of the specific protein that amphetamine/methylphenidate blocks. The right dose of stimulants brings their levels down to match the rest of the population. It's one of the most direct, effective mental health treatments ever developed.

I don't know where you got this from because it's very inaccurate. Amphetamine and methylphenidate have different mechanisms of action (they bind distinct transporters to alter net neurotransmitter availability in a somewhat similar direction) and we don't know much of anything about the molecular pathology of ADHD, just that stimulants help.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The subjective effects of amphetamines are still the same from what we can tell in people with ADHD and just not, it's just that people with ADHD need that to function. Amphetamines are not a targeted treatment in the sense that they treat any specific underlying cause of ADHD necessarily. They're just drugs that make people able to focus and people with ADHD are unable to focus.

It's why we don't just happen to have a subset of people meth just doesn't work the same way for.

From what we know of ADHD there isn't even one specific underlying cause, there are different causes, like some have ADHD because of a specific mGluR mutation, many probably have it because of decreased dopamine or norepinephrine but that doesn't mean amphetamines will affect them differently, depressed people still roll balls from MDMA, most have it because of who knows.

My suspicion had always been, people just don't understand what "stimulation" is always like and expect low dose amphetamines to be the jittery, wired, caffeine type stimulation but it's just not for amphetamines at a low dose, for anyone.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...2ca8ecb984cfea9

Looks like Disney World's self-governing district has been dissolved.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Triskelli posted:

Doing the right thing for absolutely the wrong reasons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It ended up being a big pile of nothing

They stopped the whole debt bomb thing and essentially Reedy Creek is just replaced with a new board that is run by the governor. In practicality it’s not going to change much.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It ended up being a big pile of nothing

They stopped the whole debt bomb thing and essentially Reedy Creek is just replaced with a new board that is run by the governor. In practicality it’s not going to change much.

I wonder if the various GOP-appointed goons are going to invent things to keep Disney subservient. I'm not sure if that's really a change from what has been going on, but I imagine losing the autonomy Disney used to have there will create some headaches.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
That Disney let this happen shows that they have completely neutered the board in any meaningful way. Disney knows they have the upper hand, they just don't give a poo poo about letting meatball ron score a symbolic victory.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Triskelli posted:

no, this is the opposite of what happened

dissolving RCID would make taxpayers on the hook for a huge pile of debt. instead, desantis has retreated as far as he can while still claiming victory, putting an oversight board on RCID to either slow roll their processes or rubber stamp their decisions. nothing will actually change

CuddleCryptid posted:

Doing the right thing for absolutely the wrong reasons.

people keep saying this but RCID is both harmless and a good example of making a company responsible for their own infrastructure rather than having the government subsidize it. it's a good thing and desantis effectively weaponized corporate distrust to get cover for his retaliating against disney for doing a small amount of pushback on desantis' right wing populist repression of LGBTQ+ rights

e: the main thing you need to know about how RCID is a good thing is that yeah, it gives disney finer control over local government functions which a lot of people regard as creepy, but on the other hand, taxpayers of orange and osceola counties in central florida don't end up subsidizing park infrastructure. the firewall between the real civic governments and the corporate run civic government means that money mostly flows from the corporate side to the civic side, where disney is responsible for their own infrastructural costs while generating secondary economic benefits for the surrounding community in terms of employment, attracting tourists who then visit non-disney attractions, etc. in an ideal world we would want to put disney in their own little tax zone where they have to pay for their own poo poo which... is exactly what RCID is, turns out

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 27, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Here's an interesting article about rental prices (bolded sections mine for my comments after the quote):
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1630183513491120128

quote:

The new supply may already be having an impact. The share of apartment tenants who renewed leases declined in January to 52%, the lowest level for that month since 2018, according to property-management software company RealPage. The data suggests some tenants are finding better deals at other buildings.

“Renters facing lease renewals suddenly have a lot more options,” RealPage economist Jay Parsons said in a report. Landlords are likely to start dropping their renewal rents to prevent tenants from leaving, he added.

Shelter costs were up 7.9% in January compared with the same month a year earlier, according to the consumer-price index computed by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. But the impact of rent declines tends to lag behind what is expressed in the CPI. Many renters are in the middle of leases signed before recent price drops. That is one reason why the rising cost of rent reflected in the CPI shows annual price growth that is still higher than market measures, which track new leases.

Measured annually, rent growth remains positive, according to most data sources. But the pace of growth is decelerating, and if it continues to slow beyond winter, it would help pull down headline inflation figures, of which housing costs are a major component.

New-lease rent growth ranged from about 2% to 6% in January compared with one year prior, according to most market reports, down significantly from the pace of growth in early 2022. As more leases expire, analysts expect CPI figures to better reflect the lower costs of new leases.

In the months since August, new-lease rents have fallen most sharply in some of the nation’s biggest metro areas. Seattle rents have tumbled 8%, while rents in Boston and Las Vegas have fallen by 6%, according to Apartment List. Notably, none of the 52 largest metro areas tracked by the company saw positive rent growth over the period.

Rents for single-family homes, which had also increased sharply before last summer, now are stalling, too. The average national asking rent for a house rose just one buck in January, compared with December, to reach $2,070, according to data provider Yardi Matrix.

Apartment vacancies have risen since last fall, several reports show, due to weaker demand from potential renters. Fewer people are flocking to “Zoomtowns”—communities that experienced a spike in population from an influx of remote workers—such as Boise, Idaho, or Phoenix compared with earlier in the pandemic, a recent report from listing website Zumper notes.

Even after a 3.5% decline in new-lease rents since last summer, rents in many cities remain 20% or 30% higher than they were when the pandemic began. Rents in the Tucson, Ariz., Tampa, Fla., and Miami metro areas are all 35% higher than in March 2020, according to an Apartment List report.

“Renters are still having a tougher time than they were even a year-and-a-half ago,” said Chris Salviati, economist at Apartment List.

While rental prices overall are still higher than the start of the pandemic, especially in cities like Tuscon and Miami, it sounds like the mass building of new units are already having a positive impact. Things have been looking surprisingly well since August across the entire US as well, which is a nice relief. Hopefully this trend continues.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kalit posted:

Here's an interesting article about rental prices (bolded sections mine for my comments after the quote):

While rental prices overall are still higher than the start of the pandemic, especially in cities like Tuscon and Miami, it sounds like the mass building of new units are already having a positive impact. Things have been looking surprisingly well since August across the entire US as well, which is a nice relief. Hopefully this trend continues.
Rent was going up at a ridiculously unsustainable rate so it’s good it’s beginning to come back down from those insane highs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wonder if landlords are going to start crying that they aren't making as much money anymore.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

I wonder if landlords are going to start crying that they aren't making as much money anymore.

I feel like this is a rhetorical wondering, there's no way they won't start complaining about how unfair it is that tenants now have options that screw them over less.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Angry_Ed is right, that's their state of being but it will also now shift to, why can't I kick people out to get more rent or who can I deny section 8 vouchers to keep my rents high.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel like this is a rhetorical wondering, there's no way they won't start complaining about how unfair it is that tenants now have options that screw them over less.

They were complaining when rents were going up astronomically. Our entire economy is devoted to rent seeking and they still complain about being oppressed. I think it's a safe assumption.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fister Roboto posted:

If?
They never stopped.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

no, this is the opposite of what happened

dissolving RCID would make taxpayers on the hook for a huge pile of debt. instead, desantis has retreated as far as he can while still claiming victory, putting an oversight board on RCID to either slow roll their processes or rubber stamp their decisions. nothing will actually change

people keep saying this but RCID is both harmless and a good example of making a company responsible for their own infrastructure rather than having the government subsidize it. it's a good thing and desantis effectively weaponized corporate distrust to get cover for his retaliating against disney for doing a small amount of pushback on desantis' right wing populist repression of LGBTQ+ rights

e: the main thing you need to know about how RCID is a good thing is that yeah, it gives disney finer control over local government functions which a lot of people regard as creepy, but on the other hand, taxpayers of orange and osceola counties in central florida don't end up subsidizing park infrastructure. the firewall between the real civic governments and the corporate run civic government means that money mostly flows from the corporate side to the civic side, where disney is responsible for their own infrastructural costs while generating secondary economic benefits for the surrounding community in terms of employment, attracting tourists who then visit non-disney attractions, etc. in an ideal world we would want to put disney in their own little tax zone where they have to pay for their own poo poo which... is exactly what RCID is, turns out

A good example of this is that the taxpayers of Orange County paid six million dollars for two miles of road to connect Universal Studios new park to existing roadways. The only reason to be on that road will be to get to Epic Universe, and probably a hotel or two that Universal Studios will build later.

Because of RCID, when Disney built it's latest park in 1998, it was responsible for paying for all the road construction to get to that park instead of the taxpayers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Rather than "dissolved", it looks like it's been taken over. Instead of getting rid of the district altogether and reverting control back to the counties, as the original bill stated, Florida has taken over control of Disney's special district, leaving it in place and appointing their own board to run it.

Grater posted:

That Disney let this happen shows that they have completely neutered the board in any meaningful way. Disney knows they have the upper hand, they just don't give a poo poo about letting meatball ron score a symbolic victory.

The board appears to be stacked with culture war crusaders and devout DeSantis loyalists, so I wouldn't be so sure of that. The wife of the state GOP chair, the president of the local Federalist Society chapter, the leader of an evangelical organization that wants to get God back in the schools, and a couple of big DeSantis donors with plenty of party connections.

I get the impression DeSantis plans to use Disney as a punching bag for his presidential run, constantly pointing to it as a sign that he's strong enough to beat the woke liberals, trading seats on the board for favors from powerful far-right figures.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Kalit posted:

The article mentions a "crush of new supply" but doesn't actually discuss it. Where is it being built?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Rather than "dissolved", it looks like it's been taken over. Instead of getting rid of the district altogether and reverting control back to the counties, as the original bill stated, Florida has taken over control of Disney's special district, leaving it in place and appointing their own board to run it.

The board appears to be stacked with culture war crusaders and devout DeSantis loyalists, so I wouldn't be so sure of that. The wife of the state GOP chair, the president of the local Federalist Society chapter, the leader of an evangelical organization that wants to get God back in the schools, and a couple of big DeSantis donors with plenty of party connections.

I get the impression DeSantis plans to use Disney as a punching bag for his presidential run, constantly pointing to it as a sign that he's strong enough to beat the woke liberals, trading seats on the board for favors from powerful far-right figures.

I know it's old news but this Disney Autonomous Zone is wild and I'm just amazed every time I remember it.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah, the "more productive" part is less the experience of "energy to do all the things" and more the experience of "I have a sembelence of executive function so I can just start activities."

treating my adhd has done wonders for my insomnia. the first thing I did on my first dose of adderall was fall asleep.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really hope the continued focus on culture war poo poo vs doing literally anything meaningful continues to cause them to underperform in 2024. It's not really a thing that most normal people care about, it's the domain of the brain poisoned. I think there's a lot of normal people who wouldn't change their vote one way or another for or against it, but I do think it's going to suppress turnout among a lot of likely R voters when all they hear is nonsense about trans people and drag show legislation. As conservative culture warriors keep getting busted for child rape and more and more people have personal connections with transpeople in their lives, it could really turn out to bite them in the rear end.

That's my non-cynical take for the week I guess.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Boot and Rally posted:

The article mentions a "crush of new supply" but doesn't actually discuss it. Where is it being built?

Seems like it's spread out among medium/large cities in general. If we're looking across the country for rental apartment construction, looks like it's a 50 year high with the last handful of years still being the highest since the 80s: https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/market-snapshots/apartment-construction-2022/. For specifically where it's being built, you can see the breakdown by city in the article.

For the metro I live in, the Twin Cities, we hit a 35 year high in 2021 for number of units added: https://www.axios.com/local/twin-cities/2022/10/25/apartments-fuel-twin-cities-housing-growth. Apartment unit permits here continued to climb in 2022 as well: https://www.startribune.com/a-dismal-2022-for-twin-cities-home-builders/600240988/

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 27, 2023

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, I agree. I guess the point I was trying to make is that if Disney doesn’t push back it’s because they know that despite being comprised of loyalists, they probably don’t have any actual ability to financially harm Disney. My assumption is that deathsentance got the ok from Disney to do this because they don’t mind being the target of his culture war performance as long as he’s providing those unmentioned tax breaks.

Basically I’m saying everyone is poo poo here and the only meaningful thing we’ll see from all this is performative outrage bullshit while Disney pockets even more taxpayer money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grater posted:

Yeah, I agree. I guess the point I was trying to make is that if Disney doesn’t push back it’s because they know that despite being comprised of loyalists, they probably don’t have any actual ability to financially harm Disney. My assumption is that deathsentance got the ok from Disney to do this because they don’t mind being the target of his culture war performance as long as he’s providing those unmentioned tax breaks.

Basically I’m saying everyone is poo poo here and the only meaningful thing we’ll see from all this is performative outrage bullshit while Disney pockets even more taxpayer money.
Yes the only impact this has on Disney is that the State of FL is now going to run the organization that used to be run by Disney. But I wouldn't expect much to come of that because their abilities are extremely limited to how Disney uses the land that they own in Osceola/Orange Counties.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes the only impact this has on Disney is that the State of FL is now going to run the organization that used to be run by Disney. But I wouldn't expect much to come of that because their abilities are extremely limited to how Disney uses the land that they own in Osceola/Orange Counties.

said organization is just a special district that replicates a lot of the powers of a county-equivalent government, so they basically just get to tamper with the daily operations of a local government repairing potholes and inspecting sewer lines and so on. the only thing the oversight board members can really do is make this process more inefficient and costly for no real reason, i imagine a lot of them are simply going to approve everything not-RCID wants to do

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I mean, it's in no one's interest to suddenly have crumbling roads and burst water mains that make it hard to get to the parks. Which is about as much as the new board can gently caress up as far as I can tell.

The closest to fighting the woke antifa mobs the new board could do is not allowing pride decorations or something like that outside the massive parking lots and other structures actually owned by Disney proper.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm still a firm believer that this is actually bad, Disney being evil or no, because we have just allowed a politician to do an obvious political vendetta out in the open with no repercussions.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

I mean, it's in no one's interest to suddenly have crumbling roads and burst water mains that make it hard to get to the parks. Which is about as much as the new board can gently caress up as far as I can tell.

The closest to fighting the woke antifa mobs the new board could do is not allowing pride decorations or something like that outside the massive parking lots and other structures actually owned by Disney proper.

I wouldn't put it past the board to attempt to block Disney where ever possible, even if it's in not in Flordia's finacial interest, just to own the libs. Disney's legal department, however, is a terrfying creation born from the pit of hell itself and I have no doubt that Disney will find away around this.

The other thing is the bill specifcally prevents Disney from building a nuclear reactor on their property, as the current language allows this.

EDIT:

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm still a firm believer that this is actually bad, Disney being evil or no, because we have just allowed a politician to do an obvious political vendetta out in the open with no repercussions.

This. Like, again, the Disney company is pretty vile - they are currently "negotating" with their unions, and has literally stated that not only will they not jump up the current wages to reflect inflation, but they will not pay their employees a single penny more and instead offering a permenent 50% off of merchandise.

But DeSantis is very obviously retaliating against the biggest employer in the state for their lukewarm protest of his hateful policies, so anything he gets from this is Not Good.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 27, 2023

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Don't forget DeSantis gets to reward cronies with government positions, don't know if they are paid gigs or not but it's a burnishing on their resume at the least.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Giving corporations municipal authority as a governing body is some Philip K. Dick poo poo (bad) but allowing demagogues to take control of municipal authorities as a partisan political maneuver is also bad.

This isn't even "let them fight." poo poo sucks all the way around.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Giving corporations municipal authority as a governing body is some Philip K. Dick poo poo (bad) but allowing demagogues to take control of municipal authorities as a partisan political maneuver is also bad.

This isn't even "let them fight." poo poo sucks all the way around.
I think for me, there are specifics to Disney World that make it bad, but also not a bad that you can extrapolate much from. Whereas DeSantis is modeling what effective fascism can look like.

Companies should be tamed in the name of the needs of the people and the workers, not the whims of American Orban. I think that we're all on the same page of "gently caress Disney" and their authority should have been done away with, but we don't have to coat our language to defend ourselves against some imaginary dipshit "um actually-ing..." us.

This is really, really bad.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think that we're all on the same page of "gently caress Disney" and their authority should have been done away with

i still don't see why. they got shoved off into their own tax district where they have to pay for all their own infrastructure! it's self-governing but it's also self-funding! this is a good thing because it means public money doesn't end up being spent on subsidizing corporate profit! AND they still have to chip in for things like schools!

the power of the "gently caress corporations" narrative is simply too strong. desantis knows exactly which leash to jerk to get what he wants from people who otherwise hate him

e: there's no way to explain why RCID is actually good for taxpayers without explaining how local governments work in detail and at that point most people's eyes completely glaze over

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 28, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think for me, there are specifics to Disney World that make it bad, but also not a bad that you can extrapolate much from. Whereas DeSantis is modeling what effective fascism can look like.

Companies should be tamed in the name of the needs of the people and the workers, not the whims of American Orban. I think that we're all on the same page of "gently caress Disney" and their authority should have been done away with, but we don't have to coat our language to defend ourselves against some imaginary dipshit "um actually-ing..." us.

This is really, really bad.

It's bad in a "capitalism is bad" sense but it makes a lot of sense inside of a capitalist system.

Honestly I don't have a strong opinion around that whole thing because it was always just grandstanding around an issue no one actually planned to do much about or could do much about. If you're going to allow the unique situation of Disney World existing than the deal they had made sense.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's bad in a "capitalism is bad" sense but it makes a lot of sense inside of a capitalist system.

It makes a lot of sense in any system. Disney World is an infrastructure monopsony, its needs are so great that there's almost nowhere in the world it could be fade into the infrastructure and made part of business as usual. And if there is such a location, it's probably too densely developed for the park's vision to be executed. And if it's not, anything they build for it would be a major civil engineering initiative and involve years of red tape, public commentary, and lawsuits. Or you could just draw a perimeter and let Disney be in charge of everything inside it from the beginning

It's the only way something on the scale of Disney World can exist, and you can definitely argue that it shouldn't or it's not worth it, but if you want it, this is the best way to do it.

Disney as a whole is worth ~$180 billion, which is larger than every state's budget except New York and California. I don't know what chunk of that is Disney World, but it's probably larger than most county or city budgets too.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Main Paineframe posted:

I mean, they’re openly talking about trying to use it to extort content concessions from Disney on their media properties. I 150% don’t think it’s going to work or hold up, even in that lunatic court circuit, but they’re already planning the next punches they want to throw to pretend that this is a big deal.

The earlier descriptions about RCID are correct, but the one other thing that Disney is 100% furious about is that they’re going to have slightly more issues with permitting if the board isn’t complete patsies. That’s probably going to be the occasional hinge point for Desantis, but I really really want to see the ads Disney puts out if he does. “Mean governor tries to destroy kids entertainment complex’s new space roller coaster ride to prove a vague point” was basically the 80s ski battle plot with the teens in the youth center, so he is in fact welcome to try and see what happens when he has both Trump world and one of the most litigious companies on the planet both going at him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

said organization is just a special district that replicates a lot of the powers of a county-equivalent government, so they basically just get to tamper with the daily operations of a local government repairing potholes and inspecting sewer lines and so on. the only thing the oversight board members can really do is make this process more inefficient and costly for no real reason, i imagine a lot of them are simply going to approve everything not-RCID wants to do

I am certain that Disney will use their infinite money to just convince the new board members to play to their tune and not DeSantis. Don't think Disney knows how to bribe people without being up front about it: I'd imagine they are already looking at giving them family day passes, you know, so they can inspect the grounds at any moment and get the full experience, along with the occasional speaking event on how Disney is reaching out to traditional markets.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grater posted:

All the new board can really do is interfere with infrastructure construction, maintenance, and expansion in the area. So the immediate direct impact will be minimal, but they have the potential to annoy Disney in the long run by letting the local infrastructure deteriorate and preventing them from building new stuff. Which they might not do too much of, given that Florida needs those tourism dollars. Entirely possible DeSantis doesn't care, though,

I'm not really sure what you mean by unmentioned tax breaks though, I haven't seen anything about that.

I doubt this is something Disney is actually fine with; I think it's more that they don't have the power to outright stop DeSantis, who's betting that appealing to the far-right media ecosystem will provide him enough free media to compensate for pissing off Disney. It's a risky bet, but he's pretty clearly trying to position himself as the ultimate culture warrior. It's not like his campaign coffers are actually going to run dry, either; there's no shortage of extremely wealthy far-right businessmen.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by unmentioned tax breaks though, I haven't seen anything about that.

I doubt this is something Disney is actually fine with; I think it's more that they don't have the power to outright stop DeSantis, who's betting that appealing to the far-right media ecosystem will provide him enough free media to compensate for pissing off Disney. It's a risky bet, but he's pretty clearly trying to position himself as the ultimate culture warrior. It's not like his campaign coffers are actually going to run dry, either; there's no shortage of extremely wealthy far-right businessmen.

disney applied for and got a lot of economic growth tax credits from the state of florida, like a half billion dollars worth, in 2020. these credits were not specifically for disney, iirc the program was open to any applicants. this was the reward for promising to move a bunch of jobs to florida. strangely, desantis never threatened to revoke these credits while he was going off about corporate woke moralism and how disney needed to be reined in

i agree disney's probably not cool with the oversight board, but there's not a lot of harm the oversight board can even do. this is all pretty inconsequential stuff related to desantis' performative tantrum. he just needs to get a symbolic win because we're in a political environment where facts really don't matter. i'm curious to know if desantis knew that it would be extremely difficult to unwind RCID before he promised to do it - did he make the promise knowing he couldn't do it and that it wouldn't matter, or did he get a shocking realization when someone pointed out that you can't just disappear bond debt guaranteed by the state and that his formerly low cost plan now had a billion dollar price tag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Grover: stamping his own drawings:: Disney: acting as it's own AHJ