Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is it recommended to clear out your continent first before sailing to the other side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
not really, fast travel to towns you've visited pretty much removes any benefit from that

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fast travel is also free going intercontinental, right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Several of my characters have map icons that say “Chapter 2: (somebody)‘s Route.” Does that mean they have multiple chapter paths? Or do you get locked into one or the other and have to choose?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Several of my characters have map icons that say “Chapter 2: (somebody)‘s Route.” Does that mean they have multiple chapter paths? Or do you get locked into one or the other and have to choose?

Multiple chapter paths

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone got a list of where to search for the guilds? I only got Inventor and Hunter so far.

This is a list of the eight basic jobs, though the other four are linked in that article. The article's wrong about the levels though, the highest level area you have to visit for the eight basic jobs is around ~20.

Also, I just finished Throné's C2 and see from the Journal screen I only have four travel banters from it, despite constant party member swapping. Is that gonna be true with most chapters, where you only get a certain number of travel banters in a chapter instead of all seven? That's fine with me, just curious.

Also I'm glad they'll actually show the travel banters if you miss them now.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Mega64 posted:

This is a list of the eight basic jobs, though the other four are linked in that article. The article's wrong about the levels though, the highest level area you have to visit for the eight basic jobs is around ~20.

Also, I just finished Throné's C2 and see from the Journal screen I only have four travel banters from it, despite constant party member swapping. Is that gonna be true with most chapters, where you only get a certain number of travel banters in a chapter instead of all seven? That's fine with me, just curious.

Also I'm glad they'll actually show the travel banters if you miss them now.

How does this work? I did Agnea's chapter 2 and I think I got two travel banters in the course of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

How does this work? I did Agnea's chapter 2 and I think I got two travel banters in the course of it.

In the Menu, go to Journals, then select a character (make sure you're not on Side Stories) and a chapter, and it should have a button option (I think Start or whatever equivalent) to view a list of the banters in that chapter. I believe this includes ones you missed, but not 100% sure on that.

IIRC I got five banters in Agnea's C2, and four in Throné's C2 in Orewell.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mega64 posted:

In the Menu, go to Journals, then select a character (make sure you're not on Side Stories) and a chapter, and it should have a button option (I think Start or whatever equivalent) to view a list of the banters in that chapter. I believe this includes ones you missed, but not 100% sure on that.

IIRC I got five banters in Agnea's C2, and four in Throné's C2 in Orewell.

It seems not every character will comment on things going on in every chapter.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

The travel banters menu does show all travel banters that were available, yes. It will have a little mark next to travel banters you haven't seen, like it does with journal entries you haven't read. This includes all possible character combinations, including ones that weren't in your party during the chapter.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's also little interludes spotlighting a pair of characters once you've completed the same tier of chapters for them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

It seems not every character will comment on things going on in every chapter.

Cool, just making sure I'm not missing things.

Did have a very weird banter moment in Castii's Chapter 2, Sai Route where after the captain fell in the quicksand, there's immediately a very lighthearted banter involving Agnea inventing a sandstep. That said, still doesn't top her banter with Partitio in that one...

e: Speaking of Partitio, did a couple of his unique side stories, and they're pretty cool! They're worth doing just because they unlock some neat stuff.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 27, 2023

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Been making my way around the world finding all the base job guilds and shrines. So far I'm only missing the Thief Guild/Shrine and the Warrior Shrine. No idea where the other super secret jobs might be besides Inventor which I have already found.

Something fun I did manage to do is brute force my way all the way up to the northeast town. It involved getting past an NPC guarding a tunnel that was a considerably above my weight class and then running screaming through wild territory of murder beasts but I did it. Felt pretty good about it, also did similar stupid stunts in the first game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Played through Partitio’s 1st chapter and got far enough to start Agnea’s. Having a great time so far - idk if it’s just the characters but I was instantly into this one despite struggling through about 10 hours of the first game. Also somehow the music is even better - Partitio’s theme dropping right when he got his hat was a big :black101: moment.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Being able to go back and watch travel banter is so huge. It really lets the characters have character. Last game it requires too much random chance for you to be able to actually get more of their character.

Edit: is there a text log? I really like being able to go back and read the text because I miss stuff when I get distracted.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 27, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

With OT1 I would just go look up Youtube videos of the travel banters after finishing each chapter. This is way more convenient.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Walking around Clockbank with Osvald giving everyone the evil eye is pretty great, such a charming neighborhood.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So I stumbled upon a door that yelled at me that it would only open if I showed up alone. So I dumped my party and took Hikari there solo and it opened up to reveal a Level 40 Side Dungeon. I said "gently caress it" and charged right on in and while it was definitely hairy it wasn't too terrible to make my way through with some thought and a lot of grapes. The end gave me the honor of a beefy as gently caress optional boss. Instead of peacing out like any sane person would do I decided to double down and see if I could nuke the son of a bitch and give the game a middle finger for daring to suggest I come back later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMuQlMDStQ

Hired Help is still just as stupidly busted in this game as it was in the first. :smuggo:

EDIT: I don't know how to hide the youtube thumbnail for maximum spoiler protection but uh... it's a completely optional side dungeon so maybe it's not a big deal???

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How do I start Castti chapter 3? I go to the town where it starts, and make sure she is in my party, but it won't give me the prompt to start it. What are the requirements?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The only big negative I have with this game nearing the end is that the pacing is indeed totally screwed by the lack of being able to remove the protag from your party, as I mentioned the other day.

You basically have two choices: try to juggle 7 party members between one party, your protag will always be way over leveled. Or, Make a party of 4, finish all of their story quests, then make the other party of 4. OCD makes it hard to do the first, and if you do the second, you'll just completely steamroll all the content. With the equipment and additional jobs I got from the first set of 4, my second set of 4 are basically killing bosses 15-20 levels higher than them no problem.

If there is an Octo 3, i'd like if they found some way to balance things out better while still allowing freedom.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

The only big negative I have with this game nearing the end is that the pacing is indeed totally screwed by the lack of being able to remove the protag from your party, as I mentioned the other day.

You basically have two choices: try to juggle 7 party members between one party, your protag will always be way over leveled. Or, Make a party of 4, finish all of their story quests, then make the other party of 4. OCD makes it hard to do the first, and if you do the second, you'll just completely steamroll all the content. With the equipment and additional jobs I got from the first set of 4, my second set of 4 are basically killing bosses 15-20 levels higher than them no problem.

If there is an Octo 3, i'd like if they found some way to balance things out better while still allowing freedom.

The weird thing is the horrible Octopath gacha already had a "active party of four, with each slot having a reserve you can switch to on that characters turn" and I don't know why they didn't incorporate that into the core game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Probably because they were in development at the same time, like how Persona 5 strikers was in dev the same time as Royale, so that's why neither cross-overed any mechanics or story.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You know what that's fair, I'll amend that to "I hope they carry it into the next core game".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's kind of hilarious how many options an RPG game gives you to just skip any/all story elements. Don't want to see a character's origin story? You can skip it. Don't care about party interactions? Cool, they are relegated to a separate menu to see them. Sidestories between a duo? Optional poo poo.

I'm convinced someone on the Octopath team has the idea that they are making some kind of weird speedrunnable game and wants to push as much as possible to the side, idk why else they'd want to hide so many of these things.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Grabbed this for PS5 on the weekend and it's definitely an improvement over the first but I really dislike the protagonist lock, I don't know why they did this again. I picked Hikari but I didn't realize that I could only make one party that covers all path actions day/night without swapping. You can't swap on the fly (again!) so this means a visit to a tavern every single time. I wanted to use Throne and Osvald for awhile but if I swap them in then I'm locked out of certain quest/item options. I'm already like 8 hours in and I don't want to restart but I can't swap out Hikari at all unless I finish his story completely. There are incremental improvements elsewhere so I'm a little puzzled why they didn't take a pass at this. The only parties that can do every path action in both day/night are West vs East continent characters respectively. Team East seems like it has far better synergies for the early to mid game too, they are loving stacked.

That complaint aside, I'm enjoying the writing and characters more in this one. The encounter rate seems very high though.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I kinda like it. I was running around exploring and ran into someone. Instead of hearing their whole story I was just like ‘yeah man let’s roll’ and now I have a priest alongside my thief just loving everything up at night.

I’m gonna get back to his story, but it’s nice that I could grab him and keep going without breaking the rhythm of exploration.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Gunslinger posted:

Grabbed this for PS5 on the weekend and it's definitely an improvement over the first but I really dislike the protagonist lock, I don't know why they did this again. I picked Hikari but I didn't realize that I could only make one party that covers all path actions day/night without swapping. You can't swap on the fly (again!) so this means a visit to a tavern every single time. I wanted to use Throne and Osvald for awhile but if I swap them in then I'm locked out of certain quest/item options. I'm already like 8 hours in and I don't want to restart but I can't swap out Hikari at all unless I finish his story completely. There are incremental improvements elsewhere so I'm a little puzzled why they didn't take a pass at this. The only parties that can do every path action in both day/night are West vs East continent characters respectively. Team East seems like it has far better synergies for the early to mid game too, they are loving stacked.

That complaint aside, I'm enjoying the writing and characters more in this one. The encounter rate seems very high though.

It’s really easy to change party members since you can quick travel to any town whenever you want. Anyway, I appreciate how they had different day/night options for each character’s field skill so scrutinize now has like four different versions and steal has mug and also purchase and whatever Agnea does to get free items. Provoke/ambush can be done by Castti by force-feeding someone sleep potions. There’s also like four different characters who can have people follow them. It makes there be less pressure on always having a certain character in your party.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My one question is how this game fixes the post-game dungeon that was FF3 crystal tower bad?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s really easy to change party members since you can quick travel to any town whenever you want. Anyway, I appreciate how they had different day/night options for each character’s field skill so scrutinize now has like four different versions and steal has mug and also purchase and whatever Agnea does to get free items. Provoke/ambush can be done by Castti by force-feeding someone sleep potions. There’s also like four different characters who can have people follow them. It makes there be less pressure on always having a certain character in your party.

With night actions you now have sixteen options, of which you can achieve four things (get NPC info, get items, recruit NPCs, KO NPCs) each in four different ways (level-based, percent chance, spend resources, or fight the NPC), with the exception that you can't recruit NPCs by beating them up (which I guess makes sense since that'd be pretty messed up) so you still have two "fight to KO" mechanics.

Don't have a point to this, just thought it was neat.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 27, 2023

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s really easy to change party members since you can quick travel to any town whenever you want. Anyway, I appreciate how they had different day/night options for each character’s field skill so scrutinize now has like four different versions and steal has mug and also purchase and whatever Agnea does to get free items. Provoke/ambush can be done by Castti by force-feeding someone sleep potions. There’s also like four different characters who can have people follow them.

I don't know, you have to quick travel, find a tavern then swap. Seems silly to not let the player do it in the menus when you can swap day/night with a literal button press.

quote:

It makes there be less pressure on always having a certain character in your party.

I still feel like I'm limited in my party comps between trying to cover all day/night path actions and protagonist lock but maybe I am overthinking it. I guess I will try to finish the west characters first then change things up to the east ones. I just finished collecting everyone and did a bunch of side stuff but I wish I had started with the east team now as their composition and synergy seems a lot more thought out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This game really enjoys its symmetry. The characters don't only spell out OCTOPATH in their own games, they also spell it out cross-game too.

Olberic Cyrus Therion Osvald Partitio Alfyn Temenos Hikari
Ophilia Castti Throne Ochette Primrose Agnea Tressa H'aanit

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know, you have to quick travel, find a tavern then swap. Seems silly to not let the player do it in the menus when you can swap day/night with a literal button press.

I still feel like I'm limited in my party comps between trying to cover all day/night path actions and protagonist lock but maybe I am overthinking it. I guess I will try to finish the west characters first then change things up to the east ones. I just finished collecting everyone and did a bunch of side stuff but I wish I had started with the east team now as their composition and synergy seems a lot more thought out.

Might be easier to do the character actions the first time you enter a town with a specific team and then swap around to who you want to use in the next chapter/area? Obviously you can come back later to do some to make them easier once you’re higher level, but you can knock out scrutinize in one go or something.

I’ve noticed that some enemies with good stuff have a low % chance to steal but are weaklings who Osvald can easily trounce and get the items for free. The game really wants you to explore every option and not rely on one every time.

Edit: Purchase is a real double-edged sword. Sometimes you can purchase items/equipment for cheaper than they’re sold, but you can also buy random items for more than their selling price and lose money. It was probably like that in the first game too but I was more concerned with Tressa murdering every monster.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 27, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The weird thing about character swapping is that the game has it. It just unlocks only in the final chapter.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Picking Tenemos first and winding down the continent (really, starting at the top, you have only one real path that makes sense lol) is truly nuts. Having Osvald's analysis + the buffs/debuffs Tenemos and Throne get is insane. With the party completed with Ochette I'm actually wondering what the other 4 can bring to the table because this configuration is pretty killer. I'm assuming the samurai Warrior is a tank? I've completely forgotten what the dancer, apothecary, and merchant bring to combat even though I played Octopath 1. Tenemos healing, Osvald's insane magic damage, and Ochette's all-around animal barrage just seem so overwhelming early on.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Picking Tenemos first and winding down the continent (really, starting at the top, you have only one real path that makes sense lol) is truly nuts. Having Osvald's analysis + the buffs/debuffs Tenemos and Throne get is insane. With the party completed with Ochette I'm actually wondering what the other 4 can bring to the table because this configuration is pretty killer. I'm assuming the samurai Warrior is a tank? I've completely forgotten what the dancer, apothecary, and merchant bring to combat even though I played Octopath 1. Tenemos healing, Osvald's insane magic damage, and Ochette's all-around animal barrage just seem so overwhelming early on.

Team West can't really compete with the Temenos/Throne double-whammy combined with Ochette being just the best at everything, but it's got some strong points. Merchant is a very strong support job and Partitio's Latent Power + Donate BP can set up some monstrous alpha strikes, Castti can do literally anything with the right mixes, and Hikari's Latent Power is extremely potent.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Is there any reason to go around fighting during daytime over night?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FireWorksWell posted:

Is there any reason to go around fighting during daytime over night?

Different enemies show up, I think. Night tends to give you stronger enemies (which is why Thronè and Temenos together are massive cheaters, it owns)

Edit: speaking of those two, I just did their first Crossed Path and I am wondering if that is part of the overarching story that will come together at the end. I also found a hidden journal in Hikari’s opening chapter that had some concerning information about a lost country called U or something. Seems like that’s going to be important!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Different enemies show up, I think. Night tends to give you stronger enemies (which is why Thronè and Temenos together are massive cheaters, it owns)

This is the reason I was asking, hahaha. I almost feel weaker in the daytime with this group.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So yesterday I got the ship for 100k leaves, or rather 80k because partitio's NPC discount (if any) applies to it and my level 25-30ish team of Hikari, Osvald, Temenos, and Ochette managed to beat both sea bosses with some luck, a lot of items, and a few close calls. It helped that Hikari was able to hit for upwards of 11k x2 and then 5-8k dmg with his 2x sword + bonus action LP move due to having the conqueror sword and armsmaster class.

Among all the shinies I picked up was a suit of 180 def/edef armor that reduces damage from most/all elements, some endgame(?) weapons, the arcanist class, and a couple of 9-10 star power pokemon for Hikari, including a once-per-fight Blood Revenant that apparently does 9999dmg but requires 3bp to use. It also gave me access to the Arcanist job. Which is where I got the Revenant so that's cool too.

I'm glad that OT2's combat is "the original, with some further refinements" and that as such it's still possible to go in to fights that should be far outside your depth and win. Though some of the side dungeon bosses definitely have the same "gently caress you and die" energy of a handful of bosses from 1 like that goddamn wolf in the one high level side area.

The characters are, overall, much more interesting. Partitio is the cool merchant that Tressa wishes she could've been in OT1.

mastajake posted:

Does Partitio have the money gathering thing Tressa did?

Yes, both the combat skill and the passive.

Bussamove posted:

The weird thing is the horrible Octopath gacha already had a "active party of four, with each slot having a reserve you can switch to on that characters turn" and I don't know why they didn't incorporate that into the core game.

Probably because the Octopath gacha game severely limits your characters in ways this game doesn't since CotC Is an Octopath skin on top of Another Eden mechanics. If you could swap between all 8 characters in OT2 they'd have to make fights significantly harder to compensate otherwise you'd bulldoze them without any real effort.

DLC Inc posted:

Merchant hired help is as OP as it was in the first game and Hikari is an absolute poo poo-wrecking monster. Especially if you give him the job armsmaster, and a set of physical weapons to just go all in on the murder.

Though if you're real good at beating enemies well above your level, Ochette is completely and utterly broken due to her pokemon not having limited uses* like in OT1. In a level 45 area I managed to capture two enemies I forget thier names, but one lets her do an aoe heal for 600hp and the other is an 8-strength aoe club move that can deal 700+ damage even to high level stuff not weak against the damage type, and 1500ish to something that's in break, without using BP. Needless to say, managing to get stuff like that when you're in the 20s is strong.

* I've seen 1 enemy so far with a "once per fight" limit but otherwise they are still "you have them until you turn them into food" like everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DLC Inc posted:

With the party completed with Ochette I'm actually wondering what the other 4 can bring to the table because this configuration is pretty killer. I'm assuming the samurai Warrior is a tank?

Maybe it’s because he’s my main character (and thus gets first dibs on gear), but Hikari hits like an 18-wheeler if you have everything set up; I’ve only just finished gathering the full party, so everyone’s in their mid teens, and I’ve already had him hit for around 3k damage with a maxed out limit break thanks to the passive that pumps up his damage for a turn after an enemy breaks.